• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Tzippi Longstockings

Tzippi | Adapting to Arborea - A Ranger enters the forest

I rose before the sun, today, in an effort to train my climbing skill before the work of the day began. even knowing the cold to be, as yet, nothing, I was tempted to hide away, to not go forth out of my house and into the frost. To my shame, I did not. I halfheartedly tried a pose or two, then crawled back under my sleeping furs and waited out the dawn. I'm not sure I even slept, just luxuriated in the feeling of warmth and languor.

Which are little part of a ranger's life!

When I attempted to salute the sun properly, I managed only a moment before feeling too weak and dizzy to do it. I can't tell if that is lack of sleep (unlikely - I slept rather well, and woke up naturally), lack of food ( a reasonable assumption - I am having difficulty with the macros and my "Fitness Pal" may be guiding me astray), or lack of willpower (very likely. Every year before, this is the time I give up on outdoor life. Since in this home, I have no indoor option, this must be the year I do better, get tougher, and master the elements.

To do better, I will:

Obtain more clothes for exercise, so that I can sleep in them on days I mean to range or train early (at the moment, I have only a few such garments, and they tend to get a bit . . . fragrant between washings)

Never put protein powder into my oats again. It was disgusting. I may soak some protein in water overnight to be drunk alongside the oats, but never again, ever. Ick.

Research gloves to wear when climbing, both to protect my hands and to fight the dread of facing 3 sets of horizontal rows on a bar twinkling with hoarfrost (this is exaggeration - no frost, but still pretty cold!)

My good news for today is:

I stashed fish, eggs, and salad in my pack for lunch, along with an apple.

I get to study tea ceremony this afternoon!

My husband will be home late, so I will have time to make up this morning's missing activity in the evening.

• Like 3

Other than that, just using this time to celebrate not buying bread for lunch and to plot for my future success! 

Also, I need to buy a new blender. I broke the one I got with the apartment. It . . . melted. (I left it on the countertop (okay, the back of the stove/countertop) while cooking fish in the fish oven. The plastic base melted and skewed, and won't fit in the base anymore. This is awesome news, because it means I can now buy a better blender or food processor!

mmm who doesn't love the smell of melted plastic? :playful:

bring on the future success! love it!

this morning sounded rough!! I give you points for trying. Maybe try doing a set of two of jumping jacks first thing just to warm yourself up??

....do tell me of this chocolate pudding?

Perhaps I can eat it too.

If you're not sensitive to tofu, give it a try:

Makes 4 servings.

1 banana

12 oz. silken tofu (about 340 grams. I think I used less. Dunno)

1/4 cup sugar, or some other sweetener of your choice (the riper the banana, the less extra sweet you need.)

5 Tablespoons cocoa powder

1 tsp vanilla

1 pinch salt

1 pinch ground cinnamon

Put all this in a blender. I also add 2 tablespoons or so of chia seeds, but my husband doesn't like the texture of chia in pudding. Blend until thick and even. Splash in milk/soymilk/almond milk if mixture is too dry. Put in bowl in the fridge to thicken for about an hour. Stir and serve.

• Like 1

Oh man do I remember running cross country in Idaho, and never enjoying that bitter, searing cold air in my lungs or on my ears during the Fall and early Winter, when the sport runs. You will figure it out though!

- Sent from my magic Navi-powered device!

. Maybe try doing a set of two of jumping jacks first thing just to warm yourself up??

This sounds like a good idea. I think I had a crazy thought that the Sun Salutaion would be my wakeup, but I don't think I can roll out of bed, pop in my contacts, and hop right to Chaturanga. I wasn't feeling great in Tadasana, even! 

Hm. But how to do jumping jacks or some other heart-starting activity in a wood-floor 100 sq foot apartment without waking my husband . . .

giphy.gif

• Like 1

Okay! Got home after tea ceremony, laced up my ranging boots, and headed into the night. I walked briskly for five minutes, ran for twenty, walked five. in 31 minutes, I made it 3.25 kilometers. That comes to 6.5 km/h or 4.04 mph, which is (as expected) a little better than walking, which is an average of 5.0 km/h.

So I am very pleased. Also, this littler mini-run will be something I can reasonably do in the mornings, as well, and then I can leave my long run to the weekends, and make it longer and longer!

Thanks for the rah-rahs, everyone!

giphy.gif

• Like 3

Tzippi looked disconsolately at the tumble of baskets, bags, and barrels that made up her small larder, then at the imp standing at her ankle, scratching at a small slate with a red glow of chalk(?) coal(?) In his tiny clawed fist. His twisted face fell into a frown, lifted with what looked like comprehension, then settled into mild confusion.

"Well, Pal, what's the verdict?" the new ranger asked.

"My name is not 'Pal', mistress."

"I know. Now what about the winter stores? Will they see us through?"

The imp glared up at her from beneath scaly eyelids

"You're keeping grains and such down, but relying too much on fat, especially sweets! Go fishing and egg collecting immediately!"

Tzippi considered quibbling, but stalked toward the door to gather her rod, net, and egg basket. She also swiped a small container for holding bean curd.

• Like 7

Ahoy, lassy! Cap'n Jazzy stoppin' in to check in on you. Looks like yer doin' just fine. Don't let minor set backs stop you! Cold mornin's would be stoppin' anyonem even me! I hate the cold.

Keep up the good work!

Ahoy, lassy! Cap'n Jazzy stoppin' in to check in on you. Looks like yer doin' just fine. Don't let minor set backs stop you! Cold mornin's would be stoppin' anyonem even me! I hate the cold.

Keep up the good work!

I *love* your story-telling! It's fantastic (you should be writing a novel if you're not already)!

About the non-wakey-upy warm up idea, what about a modified, fast paced toe-touch?

Stand like you're going to do a jumping jack but instead of jumping, bend down, touch toes & hold for a beat, then raise to center for a beat, then raise up (arums over head). Do that 10 times. Then do high kicks, where you put your arms out in front and kick your leg up to touch your opposite hand. Do that 20 times. Then another round of touches & high kicks.

You aren't jumping, so no pounding to wake up the hubs. :)

• Like 2

I *love* your story-telling! It's fantastic (you should be writing a novel if you're not already)!

About the non-wakey-upy warm up idea, what about a modified, fast paced toe-touch?

Stand like you're going to do a jumping jack but instead of jumping, bend down, touch toes & hold for a beat, then raise to center for a beat, then raise up (arums over head). Do that 10 times. Then do high kicks, where you put your arms out in front and kick your leg up to touch your opposite hand. Do that 20 times. Then another round of touches & high kicks.

You aren't jumping, so no pounding to wake up the hubs. :)

Thanks for the recommendation! I will try these tomorrow morning!

• Like 1

Between quiet morning routines and sneaking in a few burpees during the day in an empty classroom, you're going to be the best stealth exerciser ever!

I hear you on the sun salutations. Sometimes they are great for getting you going, but sometimes they are a little daunting to start cold.

• Like 1

mountain climbers could also work for a warmup, depending on how hard you plant your feet each time. when Tiberius lived in a place with extremely thin carpets, i got very good at stealth burpees.  ;)

Had a nice night, doing a bit of exercise and then having a good dinner with my friend Sassy Yogi - a little sushi, a lot of salad, an episode of Supernatural. Looking forward to running with her this afternoon, then going to yoga after that! The good thing is, I should be able to hit the sack hard once I get home (I've been staying up late to see my husband when he gets home, and need to manage an earlier bedtime).

Lots of plans for this weekend, including furniture shopping to reorganize the kitchen and bedroom, a spot of cleaning, and going to the Shichi-Go-San Festival with a friend and her 5 year old son. And, of course, my first long ranging of this new challenge - I think I may head into the hills again, and go another kilometer this time!

Anyway, I've been tracking my food (as the ongoing struggles with macros indicate), and so far have been good at running, if a little less good about body weight stuff.

• Like 3

I have problems with stringing together any sort of comprehensible plot. I either have to steal one whole cloth, or I do my favorite kind of writing - world building and npc-making for rpgs. I just set a few things in motion, then mostly react to the PC's reactions. I like making characters, but my favorite kinds of stories usually are very plot-heavy (mysteries, etc) and I got no sense of pacing. I'd like to try NaNo again one of these years, but not this month, no way. Maybe sometime in the spring.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, anyway! 

• Like 2

Listen to the imp. The imp Knows.

Also I'm yoinking the pudding recipe, though I'll probably alter it since I'm trying to avoid soy stuff like tofu. You rock, love the theme, looking forward to more. Cheers!

Listen to the imp. The imp Knows.

Also I'm yoinking the pudding recipe, though I'll probably alter it since I'm trying to avoid soy stuff like tofu. You rock, love the theme, looking forward to more. Cheers!

Thanks! If you like chia, you can sub it for the tofu, and just let it set longer to form the "gel". This recipe also freezes really well into Cosby-style chocolate pudding pops, though this isn't the ideal season for that (except for our Australian/NZ/ South American/ African friends, for whom it's probably starting to get hot.

Ooh! I'm also buying your book as soon as I get my Kindle recharged!

• Like 1

So it's been a mixed bag since I last checked in. I've slacked off on the body weight almost entirely, run enthusiastically, eaten with a feast-or*famine yoyo pattern, and done no cleaning as yet.

So I guess not that mixed, mostly just a bad start, but I don't feel bad, just encouraged to do better.

Last night Sassy Yogi and I went for one of my short ranging together, and it was great! Even with how cold it was, even with the easier place, it was great fun. And I am so freaking excited to do more!

Anyway, perhaps just to spite the imp (or more likely, because I haven't been to the store and haven't slept well, I haven't cooked. So I either don't eat enough or don't eat well. That changes as of this moment. I packed a good lunch, and will hit the grocery after doing my body weight thus afternoon. Fish and veg stir-fry (husband loves the cabbage/garlic/cranberry in balsamic one) and brown rice with greens tonight, something egg-tastic tomorrow morning.

So I hereby commit to do as much as possible to salvage this week, but not beat myself up about it if I have to take some Bs or Cs. It happens, and to have a chance if keeping up this glorious experiment and making it who I am, I need to learn how to take a disappointment and forge ahead nonetheless.

In other news, I get to go furniture shopping tomorrow. Which should help with reorganising and cleaning and making me happier.

• Like 4