Last challenge I discovered my inner Amazon...

gallery_17054_1458_119556.jpg

This challenge, I go really wild! ShadowLion Wild.
As in Wildland firefighting, getting out into wild places,
And letting my inner wild woman out to play...

Experimenting with new foods,
Trying out some assassin guild type exercises,
Playing around with gamifying my challenge and
Various aspects of my daily life
In order to break out of some ruts and
Take my productivity to the next level.
Fun. Play. Experimentation.

40 Weeks to Fire Fit continues, and that quest remains my prime focus. But this time, the standard firefighting fare will be supplemented with more fun, more chance, more variety. It's time to mix things up. I am past the halfway point, but still in the long middle of my 40 week quest. Fatigue was beginning to set in. I overextended last challenge, and while it was a success, it was also a tremendous struggle to keep on track.

This challenge, I have a enlisted a personal trainer, I've stuck my neck out and gotten back in contact with my old department, and I've been letting friends and family know my plans. I'm all in and there is no going back. I will succeed or I will fail. Publicly, undeniably, and in the not too distant future. I have 18 weeks to my goal date, and another 6 weeks or so beyond which there will be no possibility of retesting for the season if I fail to hit my first target.

I've been going through a process of questioning and weighing my abilities, strengths and weaknesses, potential, will, and motivation. Asking myself:

Who are you when you face the fire?

gallery_17054_1458_76959.jpg

When the task wears on you and weighs you down?

gallery_17054_1458_8582.jpg

Can you hold both the sublime...

gallery_17054_1458_18324.jpg

And the ridiculous...

gallery_17054_1458_15163.jpg

The joyous and the tragic...

gallery_17054_1458_24818.jpg

in your heart at the same time?

Do you know in your heart of hearts who you want to be?

gallery_17054_1458_7840.jpg

Your strengths and your weaknesses? Your one superpower?

gallery_17054_1458_50203.jpg

And where you stand in the line of history?

Who went before you?

med_gallery_17054_1458_129760.jpg

(Women firefighters in a training exercise, Pearl Harbor, WWII)

Who stands with you now?

med_gallery_17054_1458_56732.jpg

And who will come after?

med_gallery_17054_1458_83551.jpg

med_gallery_17054_1458_30722.jpg

What I've learned has brought me back around to the same place I started, but with a different perspective. So, maybe it's really a spiral. I am certain that I am on my path, whatever the outcome. And the way I have been following that path has been reasonably effective.

However, I now realize that I have been caught in number of paradoxes. I have been being very conventional and methodical, when my nature is intuitive. As an independent sort, I have been doing practically everything myself, even though the nature of what I want to do depends on teamwork and cooperation. And, I am very motivated by social good and interaction, even as I need quite a bit of quiet solitude to be happy.

I've been trying to domesticate a Shadow Lion! It's high time to shake things up, get back to my roots, and be my quirky, nerdy, eccentric self! And while I may need to moderate my more absurd character traits and excesses somewhat to get along well in society, I've gone a little too far, gotten a bit too conventional. So, while the firefighting theme will continue throughout, and there are many ghosts of quests of challenges past that will visit here, this challenge is going to be quite a bit different from the ones that have gone before.

Shadow Lions dwell in the world of the fantasy novel that I continue to write. And write. They are much like mountain lions or jaguars in that they are more solitary than African lions, and they are almost universally black or very dark brown. For good reason, as their favored prey animal dwells in and around caves. They are a sentient species, with a number of unusual abilities. To learn more, you'll have to read the book. Someday. :)

So this ShadowLion's intentions for her challenge center on being a healthy animal--taking care of those simple, bare necessities like getting plenty of the right kinds of foods, being physically active, and providing for enough sleep. Those are the biological imperatives laid down by Mother Nature.

Beyond that, every shadow lion must be true to her own nature. By turns curious, fierce, playful, and philosophical, a shadow lion seeks wild places. Solitude, scenery, and sunny spots in which to snooze are seriously significant. A shadow lion does best when she is coaxed, not forced, to be structured, when she has freedom to roam and play, and when she has options as opposed to an overwhelming number of choices. A shadow lion can be incredibly focused once her prey is selected, but her natural curiosity can lead to getting sidetracked. Many interesting and enjoyable sidetracks...butterfly...that rustle in the bushes...oh, and... Ahem.

And, shadow lions have an abiding interest in protecting their homes from threats. (You knew I'd find some way to get back around to it...) This ShadowLion has a very particular interest...

So yes, the 40 Weeks to Fire Fit Quest continues, but is themed a bit differently. It will be structured much more around the things that a ShadowLion needs to be a happy and healthy animal. It will emphasize fun and wildness and freedom and chance.

ShadowLion Goes Wild

FITNESS QUEST
I have enlisted the help of a personal trainer. Currently, I am scheduled for 5 strength workouts and 5 cardio workouts per week. My cool downs will be 10 minutes of stretching/yoga, warmups will be 10+ minutes of tai chi/chi gong, belly dance moves, exercise biking, brisk walking, and/or jump roping. I have two rest days per week and they are to be "active" rest. I will base my numbers off these plans and adjust if needed, based on my trainer's instructions. I had intended to go for 5 mins daily handstand prep practice this challenge, but am thinking it would be best to wait on that for now.

ShadowLion is Strong, Yet Supple __/40 (+4 DEX)
Spinal columns that can twist and bend, limbs that can absorb the shock of pouncing upon an unsuspecting deer from an overhanging tree limb - shadow lions blend strength with suppleness, speed, and agility. (ShadowLion has assassin tendencies, despite being a ranger.) Belly dance, yoga, and various stretchy, bendy and assassiny exercises go here. The number accounts for four days early start on the challenge + 42 days - 6 for the Tai Chi sessions in the following sub-goal.

gallery_17054_1458_103892.jpg

Yoga, anyone?

gallery_17054_1458_19876.jpg

ShadowLion is Dangerous __/6 (+1 DEX)
Sharp claws and pointy teeth give shadow lions plenty of weapons at their disposal. My weapon of choice this challenge will be my Tai Chi saber, or broadsword. Once per week as active rest. More for warmups or additional active rest = bonus.

gallery_17054_1458_2203.jpg

But, hey, where is the Fire Fit Strength and Endurance? I am considering those as primarily under my accountability to my trainer and therefore ungraded here. I will track these things on my spreadsheet and on my thread, however. I am trying to put my points on the things I would be most apt to skip or gloss over *cough* warmups *cough* and things that aren't specifically included in my trainer's plans for me.

NUTRITION QUEST
ShadowLion is Sleek
1 pt for each % body fat reduction, Goal=2-3% (+2 to 3 CON)

Only caged shadow lions are fat. In their natural habitat, they are not only supple and dangerous, they are sleek and shiny. They eat what they need and only what they need. They eat a healthy, nutritious and natural diet. Yeah, I know. These aren't shadow lions, or even cats, but they sure are cute!

IIFYM

tumblr_m5eyjvSXn31qbszkbo1_500.gif

ShadowLion Needs Protein (Tracked, but Ungraded - Just an excuse to put in an otter GIF)
Last challenge, I learned that I wasn't getting enough protein and my macros were less than optimum. I will be tracking this for my trainer's review and keeping these numbers in my spreadsheet. I am still not sure my actual goal grams. Will post that here when I know it.

MOAR Protein!

original.gif

RECOVERY QUEST
ShadowLion Needs Plenty of Restful Sleep __/42 (+2 to 3 CON, whatever left after points awarded for the "Sleek" goal)

Sleep is critical with the training regimen I am on. I have improved over the last few challenges, but I still need to do more. I am upping my goal to 7+ hours sleep per night and I cannot compensate for more than 1 hour's deficiency on a following night. My method of averaging last challenge gave me too much wiggle room. I will count this goal from the official start of the challenge, as I am still doing some schedule adjustments and rearranging of my sleeping area to be ready for these changes. I am still thinking if I should add some sort of "quality" modifier, as well.

MOAR sleep.

med_gallery_17054_1458_56758.jpg

ShadowLion Needs Wild Places and Solitude to Contemplate the Universe and Dream (Tracked, but Ungraded)
This is a "get outside and get some sunshine" goal for mental health and for Vitamin D. As long as I follow my trainer's plans, I will get more than enough. And, as we are now into the nice part of the year where I live, I am taking time to sit out on the porch in the mornings and journal, plan, and contemplate the coming day. If tracking reveals an issue here, it will become a graded goal next challenge. This quest also relates to my old "Get out of Dodge" goal as updated in my "Grab Bag" goal to get out of town and enjoy wilder places than metro-Phoenix. I am also doing as much of my cardio outside as possible, and doing it in parks, nature areas, and urban trails.

gallery_17054_1393_9195.jpg

LIFE QUEST
ShadowLion Loves to Play
ShadowLion likes otters. They are excellent role models.

ShadowLion Needs More Fun in Her Life; ShadowLion Needs to Remove the Obstacles to Having Fun __/25 (+5 CHA)

In order to have more fun, ShadowLion must deal with her "toads" - those obstacles that must be removed, responsibilities that need to be addressed, projects that are procrastinated upon.

med_gallery_17054_1458_79003.jpg

These are those unpleasant, ugly, obnoxious things that drain energy and take up valuable mental and physical real estate. This is the next step forward in dealing with last challenge's "ShadowLion STEAMS GRAPES" goals of taking care of Systems, Time, Energy, Attention, Money, Space.

This time the focus is on taking care of as many "dreaded tasks" as I can manage. By doing that, I will earn points to indulge in my "Grab Bag" goals. Those are all the things I would have thrown in this challenge as fun, exciting, "I want to do/try this." I can, if I earn the right and the time for them by dispatching an equal number of points in toads.

The better I do with managing my time, the more toads I can take out and the more fun I can have as a result. My method of awarding points is detailed in the reserved posts below.

• Like 9

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

Reserved for Weekly Challenge Stats

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

Toads and Grab Bag Goals

How it works

How this will work is that I create four lists. One is a list of toads, with points assigned according to the following formula: Number of minutes spent x "toadiness quotient" of 1 to 5 (depending on the degree of my distaste or procrastination for said activity) ÷ inverse 1 to 3 for speed/focus/efficiency of execution. Once selected as a "toad of the day," the task must be completed within 24 hours or its points will be cut in half. Beyond 48 hours, no points will be awarded and that toad must be completed before any additional toads may be tackled.

I structured this to discourage procrastination and encourage tackling harder toads, as well as to keep the task times and sizes small. I have the tendency to not break things down into small enough chunks and then get overwhelmed. I reserve the option to adapt this as I go along to further refine the system with those goals in mind.

Second is the "Grab Bag" list, where I list all the fun possibilities with which to reward myself. I can "spend" toad points as minutes to spend on fun things or convert them to dollars (6 toad points = $1.00) to use toward reward item purchases.

The third list is a project list to use in managing my time, a modified version of my old kanban board. I can only have three main projects at any one time, and only three active tasks at a time. Once a project is completed, it rolls over into the fourth list. For each completed project, I will roll a dice to award additional points to use for my grab bag goals. I am still working out how many points between 1 and ? to use for this.

The lists can be as long as I like. I can do any toad in any order. Likewise, any project. I can only do a grab bag goal once I have earned the necessary points, however. I have the option, if having trouble deciding on which grab bag goal to choose, to roll a dice to choose among goals of the same point value or lower. Strategy will come into play here as a way to maximize my efficiency to earn more points and have time to kill toads, so as to enjoy the fun stuff. This should be an interesting experiment.

Toads

This is my Master Toad List, which I expect will keep me busy for many challenges to come...

General Categories: Housecleaning and decluttering, Office work, Maintenance chores, Financial /Recordkeeping, Legal Matters, Medical/Dental/Optical Appointments and Preventive Care

Specific Categories (to be further broken down into small chunks and bite-size tasks of approximately 10 - 50 minutes in duration)

Kitchen Deep Clean

Pantry Reorganization

Bathroom Deep Clean

Bathroom Maintenance

Reorganize and Clear Art Area

Scanning of the boxes and bookcases of Music Books and Sheet Music - complete digital music library

Media digitization work flow, archiving and file conversions to set up streaming for the household/private cloud?

Archiving system for the Great  Digitization Project

Clean Carpets

Replace blinds in kitchen and dining area

Clean windows

Tax info up to date so can file early next year

Correspondence backlog

Clear email and keep it clear

Filing backlog

Reorganize the hall closet and adjoining bathroom's cabinets

Plan wardrobe and purchase new clothes and shoes for a more professional appearance

Go through all old clothes from storage and ruthlessly cull

Finish the "shruggie"

Find new local primary care doctor, dentist, dermatologist & make appointments

Call phone company and negotiate better deal on service or change providers

Do the same for internet and auto insurance

Review all financial records, bring completely up to date, find areas where can save, need to modify 

Will

Document all possessions as needed for insurance purposes

Get rid of excess STUFF!

Maintenance on sheds, deck, trailer as needed

Clear, clean, store, cull the stuff in my studio/office

Reorganize exercise area and equipment for greater efficiency with new workout program

Gym membership?

Get copy of college transcripts and collect all employment app materials

Eliminate all debt

Increase savings

Review retirement plan, revise as needed

Make provisions for mom's needs now and in future

The junk drawer and the Fix It box - fix it or ditch it

Random Number Generator

med_gallery_17054_1458_114876.jpg

Grab Bag

The fun stuff, the stuff that tends to clutter up my challenges or divert me from my main quest, or conversely, the stuff that is really fun and I just don't find or make the time to do it, for whatever reason.

Handstand preparation and training

Plant lettuce, other winter crops

Plan spring garden

Try out alternate seasonal hoop house design for winter

Research other things can grow here - Chile peppers, etc.

Go to the sustainability meet up group

Writing on the novel

Artwork - watercolor, draw, digital art, oils or acrylics

Glass bead kit

Beadwork

Go through my jewelry and reuse, repurpose, make some new stuff

Arnis

Xmas gifts - knitting, crochet, crafty stuff or kitchen goodies

Reading sci-fi/fantasy novels

Book club

Audio books

Try some new recipes, do some baking

Sewing

Make some curtains

Belly dance costuming

Contact juggling and regular juggling practice

Journal

Doodle

Go to lunch/dinner/events/concerts with friends and/or family

Go camping

Go hiking

Go to to local museums and points of interest

Hack night projects - build the 3D printer project

Make some stuff from my electronics kit, arduino

Plan a vacation and DO IT

Epic Quest items need to be in this list, too

Purchased Rewards - some cool gear for outdoor stuff, firefighting training; another pair of Vibrams, jacket, outdoor wear, 

Knit, crochet, spin, dye, weave

Design some new patterns and make them

Do some indigo dyeing, tie dye

Go snowshoeing

Try cross-country skiing again

Get a massage

Get pedicure

Spa day

Study old firefighting class materials, books, get up-to-date stuff 

Take some of the free FEMA and NFA classes, MIT, Stanford, etc.

Go to the movies, see Planes: Fire Rescue

Make a movie, book, and recording list and indulge in some

New violin and mandolin

med_gallery_17054_1458_14411.jpg

med_gallery_17054_1458_14450.jpg

gallery_17054_1458_107213.jpg

• Like 1

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Reserved for Projects Projects Completed Lists

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Reserved for Game Updates

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

I've been terribly unsupportive last challenge, but I will do better this time around.

I am just sort of hoping some of the awesomeness will fall on me.

• Like 1

Level 8 : Wizard Blacksmith 

[ STR 6 | DEX 6 | STA 5 | CON 5 | WIS 10 | CHA 4 ]

Jakkals, 2019 nommer 3

Spoiler

Adapt yourself to the things among which your lot has been cast

and love sincerely the fellow creatures with whom destiny has

ordained that you shall live.

-Marcus Aurelius

Insta-follow

Hey! You better keep an eye on me. I'm still writing up my challenge--trying to find ways to simplify. It is sooo hard to do! Rampant rangeritis.

Wow. Definitely following.

Welcome to my little fire-obsessed corner of rangerdom. Love your G.I. Jane Grand Prix challenge!

Inner Amazon!   We both have hit the Amazon transformation phase!  I'm so proud of all you have accomplished.

AMAZONS RULE!!!!

You have a super awesome challenge  I am so envious of all you manage to do and get done. 

Amazon Rangers Rule!!!!! Tai Chi sword wielding amazons who belly dance and just generally kick butt...like us! :)

• Like 1

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

As always your challenge is super inspiring.  Subb'd.

Hey, Raxie! I hope some of your "holiday zen" rubs off on me. I get stressed this time of year, too. Think I'll follow your "snake handling" lead and make kitty time a priority. That will destress things!

Followed!

Slates! Missed you last challenge, Ranger. Glad you're back! Wow, you've got some major running and OCRing planned...

Can't wait to read how everything goes for you!

Thanks, Anaticula! Reading about your tri escapades has been making me want to get back swimming! Miss that.

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Followed! Glad to see you!

Hey! You been doing any sword work lately?

I've been terribly unsupportive last challenge, but I will do better this time around.

I am just sort of hoping some of the awesomeness will fall on me.

What? You're the one who actually put out a fire last challenge!

Don't forget that or the knife course or all the other successes you've had.

(Which causes me to look at the stats in your signature and wonder why you are so hard on yourself. I'd give you a lot more points than that.)

• Like 1

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Leftover Halloween candy has been my downfall the last few days. Ugh. It wasn't even good candy. But today I am back on track and working the nutrition and exercise plans my trainer has gave me today after my assessment.

Nerdhammer showed me I could do more than I thought I could and I got a number of days where I hit 1.5 hours and even a bit more. I just tended to flake out the day after. My trainer is upping the volume of my training from there! Five days a week, 1.5 to 2 hours per day, can split between strength and cardio to do two sessions if I can't get it all in early in the day, plus two active rest days for tai chi, belly dance, or whatever. I have to admit I am a little skeptical, but she is building in rest times throughout the workouts and really impressing on me the importance of rest and diet.

I did a brisk 2.2 mile walk this evening - several times around the lake - and batch cooked a bunch of food. I ate two cups of veggies with dinner, and have started to include snacks on her recommendation, which I seldom do. Moar protein. Caught up on a pile of paperwork and did some cleaning today, too. Very productive.

This is going to be very different. She's taken my concern about not being ready in time seriously and it looks like it should work!

I also got a lot more done on my challenge writeup, but I still need to set out the specific goals and lists, points, and trim it back a bit. Another day and I'll be on to the spreadsheet update. Yay!

• Like 1

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Hey! You better keep an eye on me. I'm still writing up my challenge--trying to find ways to simplify. It is sooo hard to do! Rampant rangeritis.

I'm here, still waiting to see your goals written. If you're having trouble, need help or just want to discuss something about them, feel free to PM me

• Like 1

I'm here, still waiting to see your goals written. If you're having trouble, need help or just want to discuss something about them, feel free to PM me

Cool. I should have all the numbers filled in the next day or so. My trouble is that I still want to do ALL THE THINGS! That is where the dice are going to come in...chance-enforced narrowing of choices if I can't manage to do it myself! :)

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Amazon Rangers Rule!!!!! Tai Chi sword wielding amazons who belly dance and just generally kick butt...like us! :)

Last night they announced they will be beginning a Kendo class.... another sword!   I so totally signed up.    (this now makes 3 swords I'm learning all at the same time) 

since I obviously don't run in the morning I'm thinking a belly dance class to get the day started.... kick butt!

• Like 1

followed before I even read anything on the thread, naturally

Ha! Good to see you and I think your theme of "Danielness" this challenge is awesome!

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Me too! I'm tired (but also inspired) just reading the pre-challenge notes.

Got a performance tonight, but should have all the numbers lined out in another day or so! So many wonderful, fun things to choose from...

Yay love it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi, Edigo! Looking forward to seeing what you do this challenge!

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir