L1 Juice Bar

Blaidd

I always consider it to be "local times"

• Like 1

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

I wroted a thing... because I was feelin like a pirate

I will successfully navigate these turbulent seas. I have clearly marked the path to the X that marks the location of the treasure. My charts and maps are up to date. I've tuned and adjusted my sextant and understand how to correct for any errors in alignment.

I've set the bow of my ship in the proper direction and laid in my course. I've filled my crew from quarter master to swabbie with strong, loyal outstanding men and women. My stores have been checked, they are filled to the brim with enough supplies to help me weather the oncoming storms.

I will not be dissuaded from the treasure by fool's gold or glass pearls or any other fancy bauble. I intend to approach my treasure with such a singularly intense desire, the likes of which most men would call insanity but that my crew calls dedication. Nothing will interfere with my ultimate acquisition of that treasure, although circumstances may cause the route to change. That's ok though, because it's as much about the journey as it is the destination.

• Like 5

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

How do you cater for timezones in this challenge? Is it *my* monday or America's Monday?

*your* monday.

• Like 3

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

How many people here are trying to reduce calories (to a safe level of course) as part of their challenge? 

I'm trying to stick just above 1500, anyone got any tricks to feel full other than lots of water?

• Like 1

Hitting up a blogger for my journey to make a hot sexy body for my hot sexy red shirt 

http://raystightshirt.blogspot.com/

Failure is an option, sometimes it's the only option. Giving up, that isn't an option

How many people here are trying to reduce calories (to a safe level of course) as part of their challenge? 

I'm trying to stick just above 1500, anyone got any tricks to feel full other than lots of water?

This might be kinda obvious, but don't forget good quality protein sources.  Also, time of day is a big part of it.  Eat some eggs before bed to feel full before bed, eat a good blend of both in the morning so you don't burn right through everything by the time you get to work/school/whatever.  I usually eat a bowl of cereal with almond milk but if I have work in the morning, it's gone before I've been working for 2 hours, so as soon as I take my break I'm snarfing down a clif bar and/or a lara bar.

Whoo, I'm so excited to finally join you guys!

Whee!  What guild are you thinking about joining? :D

• Like 2

"Impossible is not a fact, it's an opinion.  Impossible is not a declaration, it's a dare.  Impossible is potential, impossible is temporary, impossible is NOTHING." -Muhammad Ali

"The only thing worse than being blind is having sight but no vision." -Hellen Keller

Ferocity (2),  2 Becoming Capable, Becoming a Ranger

This might be kinda obvious, but don't forget good quality protein sources.  Also, time of day is a big part of it.  Eat some eggs before bed to feel full before bed, eat a good blend of both in the morning so you don't burn right through everything by the time you get to work/school/whatever.  I usually eat a bowl of cereal with almond milk but if I have work in the morning, it's gone before I've been working for 2 hours, so as soon as I take my break I'm snarfing down a clif bar and/or a lara bar.

thanks. When I can stay away from crap food I usually get about half my calories from protein, usually try to get about 50G in after my work outs. but I'll give the small meal before bed thing a shot.

• Like 2

Hitting up a blogger for my journey to make a hot sexy body for my hot sexy red shirt 

Failure is an option, sometimes it's the only option. Giving up, that isn't an option

Whee!  What guild are you thinking about joining? :D

I've loved Pilates and Yoga for years and my favorite activity is walking in a beautiful place, but I'm going to go with the Adventurers for a little while. Maybe there is an activity out there that I like but just haven't tried yet. How about you?

Raymith: Having some protein and fiber with every meal helps. Actually, the most helpful thing with keeping calories at a healthy level for me was having three meals a day that included portions of protein, starch, and fruits/vegetables in the same meal. That may be a simple concept for some people but I didn't grow up eating that way, so it really helped me stay full and keep my calories straight.  

• Like 1

Level 3 Hobbit Adventurer

Current Challenge

Walking to Rivendell

Miles Walked: 105.61 | Location: East on the Road, The Forsaken Inn

I'm not into calorie reduction right now, but I know that cutting liquid calories can help...

How do you feel about salads and not eating pasta?

Salads have a lot of bulk for the calories.  Meat and eggs are quality for density.  Pasta is cheap, filling, and loaded with carbs.  Processed food is a judgement call, but I rank it worse than pasta.

• Like 1

I have conditions that affect my social awareness.  If I am rude, tell me what I could do better.

5'8" & 220 260 pounds | Miles Walked: X

2019: | 1 | 2 | 3 |

Pre 2017: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | * | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 |

I've loved Pilates and Yoga for years and my favorite activity is walking in a beautiful place, but I'm going to go with the Adventurers for a little while. Maybe there is an activity out there that I like but just haven't tried yet. How about you?

I'm a bit of a mix, so I'll be joining the Rangers.  I love all sorts of workouts (I've done martial arts for 9 years so I've done everything from bodyweight to cardio to unorthodox weight training with weapons), but my main goal is that within the next 10 years to receive the Spartan Trifecta, which is running a 5k obstacle course, a 10k obstacle course, and a 15k obstacle course.  The first step of that goal is to clean up my diet and to get my current setbacks (shoulder pain, displaced hip) out of the way. :)

• Like 1

"Impossible is not a fact, it's an opinion.  Impossible is not a declaration, it's a dare.  Impossible is potential, impossible is temporary, impossible is NOTHING." -Muhammad Ali

"The only thing worse than being blind is having sight but no vision." -Hellen Keller

Ferocity (2),  2 Becoming Capable, Becoming a Ranger

salads are still a little ways off for me, I've always had a problem with veggies, I'm slowly working into them. I can do juice well enough, I've been cooking using them, but I still have problems with eating them straight up. pasta I'm close to giving up though, when we do have pasta it's egg noodles so it could definitely be worse. I'm picking up the slack with multivitamins but I know I need to get away from that. especially if I want to be in the kind of shape to cross a triathlon and a spartan race off my bucket list.

• Like 1

I'm a bit of a mix, so I'll be joining the Rangers.  I love all sorts of workouts (I've done martial arts for 9 years so I've done everything from bodyweight to cardio to unorthodox weight training with weapons), but my main goal is that within the next 10 years to receive the Spartan Trifecta, which is running a 5k obstacle course, a 10k obstacle course, and a 15k obstacle course.  The first step of that goal is to clean up my diet and to get my current setbacks (shoulder pain, displaced hip) out of the way. :)

I feel you on the injuries, I injured some nerves in my left arm and it seems trivial being a weak arm but I missed 3 years of work because I kept trying to rush back, I ended up gaining back 70 pounds I had previously lost and it was quite a lot of stress. I just bring this up because I want to caution you if you feel like rushing yourself to your goal, you can just keep setting yourself back. now I am relatively pain free and able to push my self harder than I ever could before my injury, but I had to give it that all important rest time. 

• Like 2

Diet focus may be your best bet rather than calorie deficit as you focus on these next 6 weeks. Lots of hidden and not so hidden traps out there right now!

At some point, either blaidd or I will pay some links for how to figure out your own calorie needs, and if you are working out at all, and taller than 4 foot, 1400 will not nourish you.

But focus on good choices...those are hard enough for starters!

There's a concept. ..eat this, not that. ..and if you move to less and less processed foods you will find things changing! Your body will start getting stronger from the inside!

Think about building large muscle groups...to boost metabolism. That's the legs and booty, and the back muscles. These will burn calories so you don't have to count so much!

And focus on form. ..because form is where you prevent injuries while training!

There are alot of weightless fallacies we've all been fed for years, and we are the weakest, most obese nation on the planet!

My first lesson here was to do no harm...and my second was to love myself just the way I was. ..I'm still working on these two lessons!

Oh...have fun! That is a HUGE key to leveling up! FUN!

and always feel free to ask anyone questions! Blaidd has lots of experience, and ambassadors are here to help you! Take advantage of all that is available and you will succeed!

• Like 3

In His hands and Under His wings, Phil 4:13; Is 40:31; Jer 29:11
 Adventurer by choice

Diet focus may be your best bet rather than calorie deficit as you focus on these next 6 weeks. Lots of hidden and not so hidden traps out there right now!

At some point, either blaidd or I will pay some links for how to figure out your own calorie needs, and if you are working out at all, and taller than 4 foot, 1400 will not nourish you.

But focus on good choices...those are hard enough for starters!

There's a concept. ..eat this, not that. ..and if you move to less and less processed foods you will find things changing! Your body will start getting stronger from the inside!

Think about building large muscle groups...to boost metabolism. That's the legs and booty, and the back muscles. These will burn calories so you don't have to count so much!

And focus on form. ..because form is where you prevent injuries while training!

There are alot of weightless fallacies we've all been fed for years, and we are the weakest, most obese nation on the planet!

My first lesson here was to do no harm...and my second was to love myself just the way I was. ..I'm still working on these two lessons!

Oh...have fun! That is a HUGE key to leveling up! FUN!

and always feel free to ask anyone questions! Blaidd has lots of experience, and ambassadors are here to help you! Take advantage of all that is available and you will succeed!

This.

All of this.

I've found that the quality of what I eat matters more than trying to hit a target. Don't get me wrong, you'll want to not spiral out of control with food; but keep in mind that you're never going to feel bloated and go overboard when eating broccoli, ya know?

Also the note on form.  It takes 3,500 reps to learn a move (like for your muscles to know proper form for a bicep curl) but it takes 10,000 reps to RE-learn a move. So never rush yourself when doing workouts. It's far better to go slow and steady instead of bumping  weight and half-@$$ing it.

And yes, 100%- fun.  Far too often people get overwhelmed with their challenges and start to burn out. The plan is to take things easy, get into a groove of building healthy habits, and to make sure you are enjoying it.  The best workout is the one you DO because you like it- not the most 'efficient' one that you resent.

When I started working out with a sledgehammer, I didn't care if it was the 'right' workout to do. I stuck with it because it was fun. 70 pounds later, I'm attempting my next spartan race in a few days and can do 50 wide-grip pushups (when I got here, I could barely do wall-ups.)

• Like 4

I'm slowly getting the pasta out. I'm in need of 1 or two more quick and easy meals to get rid of the spaghetti I have on occasion. I've been having sandwiches for lunch though more frequently (quick and easy to make when I don't have leftovers for lunches), anyone got some ideas for a sub for the bread in a sandwich (meat and cheese sandwich)? I'm not too picky, just something with at least a little bit of bulk to get me through my afternoon.

I've managed to sub out the coffee I used to have in the morning for tea, because I always load my coffee down with creamer but tea is fine as is (with a dab of honey, but I need far less honey in my tea than I needed creamer in my coffee). I also have spent a while trying to refine my beer tastes, and while I'm not willing to give that up completely at this point, I've cut back to 1 a week. Otherwise, I drink lots of tea and water. There's lots of great teas out there now, so I'm betting you can find one that will do well with you (if you need the caffeine, I suggest getting one flavored herbal tea you like and adding in a caffeinated unflavored tea bag to get the boost). My morning tea instead of coffee is a peach tea with a black tea bag added for caffeine. 

Also, does anyone have a good sub for tortillas? I love having black bean tacos and enchiladas, but I'd like to get a bit healthier option in there for the tortillas.

Maeghaan | Assassin

EQ Level 2 | NF Level 4

I started a blog: The Cognitive Itch
"Even in these chains, you can't stop me"

Weight loss goal: Drop from 247 to 160

36%
36%

Tortillas: you could try using romaine lettuce leaves. It'll take +/- 3 outer leaves for a big taco. My personal trick is to use 1 leaf and roll it sideways. Makes smaller burrito style taco rolls but it's effective. Also a tad bit messy, but many fewer carbs than tortilla. Now if you don't like using the greens to wrap your taco in (or your sandwich, hamburger, etc) you can try the, Mission Carb Balance Tortillas. They don't taste bad and they're very fiber loaded to slow carb absorbing. However, they're a processed grain so you get all that goes along with grains & processed foods. But if you're looking to baby step yourself away from highly processed starches, these Tortillas do the trick.

Pasta: try blanched zucchini! It's surprisingly good as a substitute for spaghetti or other pasta that you'd scoop a sauce over. Spaghetti squash is also great as a pasta substitute, though I think I prefer the blanched zucchini better.

Getting vegetables: okay, Kale is a surprising veggie. You can add heaping gobs of it to a pan of anything, cook for like 5 minutes, and it's reduced itself to maybe a cup's worth of added bulk to your dish. But it's a nutrient powerhouse! And it doesn't add any "veggie flavor" When it's cooked. Raw, it has a distinctive taste. But add it to eggs, sauces, soups, chowder, stew, savory baked goods - and it acts more like fresh parsley does (but worth 10 times the nutrient value). I add it to sausage and cheese biscuits and it's delicious!! My hubby is not a raw kale lover at all. But cook it in stuff, and either be never knows or he says he can't taste it if he can see it.

You can buy kale already chopped and rinsed in bags at the grocery store where the bagged lettuce is.

Also try it baked with cheese sprinkled on top... I dare you not to eat the whole pan full in one sitting.

Sent from my Samsung S4 using Tapatalk.

Granny Nogg - Level 10 Warrior

Battle Log| Challenge 8 |Challenge 9 | Challenge 10

My Job | My Epic Quest | Instagram

"Those are not my monkeys."

I can't remember brand names or anything but I have found a good selection of low calorie full grain tortillas we use around the house. or corn tortillas are also a bit healthier, but kind of a jaw work out to eat. 

I think I found something good for my breakfast today, I had a small turkey and whole wheat sandwich with small slivers of sharp cheddar, a glass of apple juice and it has held me over really well. the bread was full wheat and only 40 cal a slice so I was able to make up more calories in protein while having a derned good sammich

My simple plan is fat and fiber to feel full longer.  So lots of vegetables or very high fiber snacks if you eat carbs; and too little fat in a meal will not sate hunger very long.  If you are worried about the calorie trade off, you are better off sacrificing carb calories for fat calories.

You may want to do some research into foods and their satiety values.

OH!!!  And make sure you are drinking PLENTY of water.  Not less than half a gallon/ 2 litres a day.  More if you are being active.  The first stages of thirst can fel like slight hunger.  The normal thirst feeling we get is actually too thirsty.

• Like 2

Level 1 Hobbit Ranger
STR 2 | DEX 0 | STA 3 | CON 3 | WIS 2 | CHR 0
"You can lead a horse to water, but if you can get him to roll over and float on his back, then you got something." - Joe E. Lewis

First challenge waist 48.25" to 44.25":
43.75%
43.75%
Beastmaster's Current Weight Loss Progress 267 lb to 165 lb.: 239.0 current
27.5%
27.5%

My simple plan is fat and fiber to feel full longer.  So lots of vegetables or very high fiber snacks if you eat carbs; and too little fat in a meal will not sate hunger very long.  If you are worried about the calorie trade off, you are better off sacrificing carb calories for fat calories.

You may want to do some research into foods and their satiety values.

OH!!!  And make sure you are drinking PLENTY of water.  Not less than half a gallon/ 2 litres a day.  More if you are being active.  The first stages of thirst can fel like slight hunger.  The normal thirst feeling we get is actually too thirsty.

My water intake is one of my few good healthy habits, I'm rocking out about 1.5 gallons a day. usually go through 3 of my shaker bottles during work outs alone. 

I have never really thought of checking into satiety values, thanks I'll give that a check. :D 

So I found this awesome list of bread substitutes that I thought I'd share, I really like the idea of using cucumbers or bell peppers as bread. I'll have to try making some of the flat bread alternatives as well, and see if one of them will work for a tortilla sub in enchiladas.

• Like 1

Maeghaan | Assassin

EQ Level 2 | NF Level 4

I started a blog: The Cognitive Itch
"Even in these chains, you can't stop me"

Weight loss goal: Drop from 247 to 160

36%
36%

I tried the cucumber one from that list above... it was messy and rather frustrating!  Better eaten with a knife and fork, which then defeats the idea of using cukes as a non-bread.  Just thought I'd share my experience.  

Granny Nogg - Level 10 Warrior

Battle Log| Challenge 8 |Challenge 9 | Challenge 10

My Job | My Epic Quest | Instagram

"Those are not my monkeys."

Hey y'all, I recently realized that I hate lifting weights so I'm sticking to doing bodyweight workouts. I just seem to enjoy them more. But I read about how lifting, especially heavier weights, builds muscle much faster, which boosts your metabolism, which is most desirable for someone looking to loose weight--and I am. So I was wondering, should I just stick with what I like doing or do exercises that will better apparently allow me to reach my goals quicker/more effectively?

• Like 1

Hey y'all, I recently realized that I hate lifting weights so I'm sticking to doing bodyweight workouts. I just seem to enjoy them more. But I read about how lifting, especially heavier weights, builds muscle much faster, which boosts your metabolism, which is most desirable for someone looking to loose weight--and I am. So I was wondering, should I just stick with what I like doing or do exercises that will better apparently allow me to reach my goals quicker/more effectively?

If I weigh in on this:

And yes, 100%- fun.  Far too often people get overwhelmed with their challenges and start to burn out. The plan is to take things easy, get into a groove of building healthy habits, and to make sure you are enjoying it.  The best workout is the one you DO because you like it- not the most 'efficient' one that you resent.

When I started working out with a sledgehammer, I didn't care if it was the 'right' workout to do. I stuck with it because it was fun. 70 pounds later, I'm attempting my next spartan race in a few days and can do 50 wide-grip pushups (when I got here, I could barely do wall-ups.)

• Like 2