L1 Juice Bar

Blaidd

I never used a slow cooker before... should I? What's the appeal of it? 

Generally you can just toss all the ingredients in and let it cook for a few hours (or while you are at work, or overnight for breakfast), and have an awesome dinner. My latest favorite thing to do with a slow cooker is cook a whole chicken in it (if you want crispy skin just toss it in the over under the broiler for a bit), the meat just falls apart if you leave it in there six hours or so. And then make awesome homemade broth from the carcass afterward using the slow cooker also.

• Like 1

Maeghaan | Assassin

EQ Level 2 | NF Level 4

I started a blog: The Cognitive Itch
"Even in these chains, you can't stop me"

Weight loss goal: Drop from 247 to 160

36%
36%

I never used a slow cooker before... should I? What's the appeal of it? 

Ease. Put everything in it, set it to low. come home to a house that smells wonderful, and a dinner that needs little to no prep. You can also do slow cooking in the oven if you don't have a slow cooker. also the slow long cooking creates some wonderful flavors that you cant get unless you cook for hours!

I even saw a recipe for baked potatoes in it!

" Either I will find a way, or I will make one" ~ Phillip Sydney

• Like 1

Try not, do or do not- Yoda

My workout habits tend to lead towards warrior but I want to do things like a triathlon, I love doing obstacle courses so I may need to lead more towards the ranger. but assassins get to do awesome free running and gymnastic stuff.

Have you done obstacle course racing? if so which ones?

• Like 1

I'll post the recipe in that thread too, but scotch eggs (minus the flour and breadcrumbs) have egg and meat in the morning, grab a few veggies and you're good to go!

my youngest son calls scotch eggs "protein bombs" (I use no flour or breadcrumbs) and they are his all time favorite yummikins... if I make them I am deemed "BEST MOM EVAH"

Howdy friends! So err. Maybe this is the wrong place to bring this up. But I was wondering whether people might have insights about the Ranger class vs the Assassins class. I suppose it doesn't matter for now since I'll be a level 1 rebel for the next six weeks anyway, but I'm curious, because I have found myself really going back and forth between the two. What are the big distinctions between them?

Also, sorry if this is not the appropriate place to post this, gahh

so... you should totally join the rangers because we drink the awesomesauce ;) 

(hey there cnf budday!!)

anyways rangers to everything... we lift we run we yoga we hike etc... 

assassins tend to do the body weight stuff... some of them run... 

there is a LOT of overlap... and the cool thing is you aren't STUCK with your class for the rest of your NF life... you can move freely between the guilds and do a challenge in each guild and see what you like :D

Have you done obstacle course racing? if so which ones?

I am not sure if that was specific to the person you were quoting or in general... 

I have done a mud run

and my first spartan is saturday

• Like 2

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

I am not sure if that was specific to the person you were quoting or in general... 

I have done a mud run

and my first spartan is saturday

I was just browsing the Adventure threads and apparently there are 10+ NF people going to be at Fenway this weekend! Spartan has gone through a lot of changes lately (mostly for the better) but regardless they are a lot of fun! Stadiums tend to be a bit less muddy, but lots of stairs (just from what i've heard from others, have yet to do one of my own) Hope you have a great time! If you (or anyone else) has Spartan questions, let me know! I work with the Street team, so I help out where I can!

• Like 1

I was just browsing the Adventure threads and apparently there are 10+ NF people going to be at Fenway this weekend! Spartan has gone through a lot of changes lately (mostly for the better) but regardless they are a lot of fun! Stadiums tend to be a bit less muddy, but lots of stairs (just from what i've heard from others, have yet to do one of my own) Hope you have a great time! If you (or anyone else) has Spartan questions, let me know! I work with the Street team, so I help out where I can!

I think between spectators and runners there is 20 ish of us... maybe as many as 30 by the time you count spouses/kids

:)

Sorry about the posting multiple time... can one of the admins/mods take care of that for me!

On another note, I saw in someone's signature that there's a NF IRC???? how does one find out about getting in it!

at the very top of the forums there is a link for the chat room... if you use a client (like IRCCLOUD (which is what I use)) the room is #nerdfitness

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

So I'm super new to NF, I just found this amazing place this last Saturday and I've been obsessing since then.  I guess at least it's a "healthy" obsession.  That being said this is my first challenge and I'm looking forward to doing this with all of you.  Time to take some starting pictures.  

It is. Support from people makes a huge difference:

20140524_125236_zpsh9bup4ho.jpg

This is my wall of positivity. It's roughly an entire year's worth of comments from people on this site cheering me on and supporting me.

I used to try after work because I'm not the kind of person that likes getting up early, but I would 99 days out of 100 just go "nah I'll gym tomorrow." 

Same for me. If I postpone my workouts until later, it gets too easy to just say 'tomorrow'. I got into a habit of working out when I first got up. No excuses, I'm not 'in the middle of something', I'm not 'too tired', etc.  The only time I don't work out in the morning is when I'm in charge of a group. My g/f and two other lovely ladies come over and use my home gym and I show them how to work out.  My homegym:

20140126_195754_zps2c9778d8.jpg

12ish pound sand jugs, 10 pound sledgehammer, 20 pound sledgehammer, 25 pound kettelbell, 45 pound kettelbell, 80 pound handle sandbag, and 250 pound tractor tire.

pullup1_zps6d11a59b.jpg

20140929_140919_zpsuepniew7.jpg

metal bar and concrete blocks to create a varying height/difficulty pullup bar, and 2x 50 pound dumbbells

Not so much for breakfasts, then again i tend to eat leftovers from the night before. I made a batch of scotch eggs this weekend and they've been great. Basically hard boil eggs, cool and peel

I've made scotch eggs before. I was obsessed with them for a couple week straight. So good.

Howdy friends! So err. Maybe this is the wrong place to bring this up. But I was wondering whether people might have insights about the Ranger class vs the Assassins class. I suppose it doesn't matter for now since I'll be a level 1 rebel for the next six weeks anyway, but I'm curious, because I have found myself really going back and forth between the two. What are the big distinctions between them?

Assassins - parkour/bodyweight-based.

Rangers - Strength and speed (mixed)

Adventurers (since there's always a discussion about it) - Beginner stuff and mix of everything fitness-wise; but primarily more food-focused.

There is a great deal of overlap.

I think between spectators and runners there is 20 ish of us... maybe as many as 30 by the time you count spouses/kids

I counted the sheet earlier- looks like there's over 30.

• Like 4

Woot

Spoiler

I did the zombie run 5k in Dallas. I was hoping to do the Spartan there this year but it fell on a bad weekend. But if the stars align next spring the mud run closer to home in texarkana. But I do want to do more, in my opinion much funner than a normal 5k.

• Like 1

Hitting up a blogger for my journey to make a hot sexy body for my hot sexy red shirt 

http://raystightshirt.blogspot.com/

Failure is an option, sometimes it's the only option. Giving up, that isn't an option

I think the main difference between ranger and assassin is more focused between with an assassin you are doing crazy gymnastics type stuff, where as a ranger you want to be stronger, but not with sacrificing your endurance.

assassins tend to do the body weight stuff... some of them run... 
Assassins - parkour/bodyweight-based.

A Handy Overview to what the Assassins Actually do

(example: 1/3rd of our guild members lift weights :tongue:)

Family-guy-the-more-you-know.jpg

You haven't seen my Final Form

I Stand With Gina Carano

This is why we keep you around hazard ;)

• Like 1

Spoiler

YAY for the weekend, stick with it everyone :D. My favorite part about weekends is when I gym it up I can take my time and just go until I either can't go anymore or I go until I want to stop, usually prefer the former.

Goal for the weekend, hit Monday stronger, faster, more agile, and more mentally tough than I entered it. 

• Like 3

Hitting up a blogger for my journey to make a hot sexy body for my hot sexy red shirt 

http://raystightshirt.blogspot.com/

Failure is an option, sometimes it's the only option. Giving up, that isn't an option

I did the zombie run 5k in Dallas. I was hoping to do the Spartan there this year but it fell on a bad weekend. But if the stars align next spring the mud run closer to home in texarkana. But I do want to do more, in my opinion much funner than a normal 5k.

If you decide to do a spartan let me know, I can normally get discount codes for 15% off!

• Like 3

Anyone here doing paleo that can recommend their favorite resources?

Level 1 Hobbit Ranger
STR 2 | DEX 0 | STA 3 | CON 3 | WIS 2 | CHR 0
"You can lead a horse to water, but if you can get him to roll over and float on his back, then you got something." - Joe E. Lewis

First challenge waist 48.25" to 44.25":
43.75%
43.75%
Beastmaster's Current Weight Loss Progress 267 lb to 165 lb.: 239.0 current
27.5%
27.5%

YAY for the weekend, stick with it everyone :D. My favorite part about weekends is when I gym it up I can take my time and just go until I either can't go anymore or I go until I want to stop, usually prefer the former.

Goal for the weekend, hit Monday stronger, faster, more agile, and more mentally tough than I entered it. 

Let's beat the Monday blues! :D

• Like 2

JL: Level 3 Turtle Tamer

"I didn't come here for the easy life."

current challenge thread | daily battle log | epic quest

The One-Year Fanfic Ban (START: 6/8/2015)

0%
0%

err...sorry guys but can you elaborate on how to change my signature? Also how to get those shiny progress bars?? I think someone mentioned it but I didn't understand...a bit slow, ain't i?? :rapture:

L2 Half Elf | Assassin | current challenge 1

|| STR 1.875 || DEX 1.5 || STA 2.44 || CON 0.32 || WIS 0 || CHA 0 ||

Weight Loss target - 135 lb ( started with - 169 lb) current weight: 163

17.64%
17.64%

"when the going gets tough, the tough gets going"

new campus tour is up this week.  And it answers all the questions about signatures :D

• Like 1

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

Anyone here doing paleo that can recommend their favorite resources?

I second nomnom paleo

Also paleomg, stupid easy paleo, domestic man, primal toad has great smoothies.

Once you get the hang of it, it becomes fairly easy to adapt any recipe. Or if you have one you want made more paleo, let me know. I enjoy figuring out ways to make things paleo

• Like 3

I will check out nomnompaleo for sure.

In other news, saw Interstellar this weekend. And I got to meet Christopher Nolan. He was sitting a few seats down from me. How amazing is that?[

attachment=10721:image.jpg]

post-33475-0-36885400-1416273466_thumb.j

• Like 7

Level 1 Hobbit Ranger
STR 2 | DEX 0 | STA 3 | CON 3 | WIS 2 | CHR 0
"You can lead a horse to water, but if you can get him to roll over and float on his back, then you got something." - Joe E. Lewis

First challenge waist 48.25" to 44.25":
43.75%
43.75%
Beastmaster's Current Weight Loss Progress 267 lb to 165 lb.: 239.0 current
27.5%
27.5%