Phoenix Burning and the G.I. Jane Challenge: Part 1

Everstorm

Introduction:  I am new to the Ranger's Guild, but not new to NF.  This is my...12th...challenge, I think?  Anywho, I just completed my long-term goal of running a Half-Marathon and am moving on to the next item on my dream goal list.

Current Goal:  I have set my sights on completing the Grand Prix in 2015.  It's a series of 7 races over 12 months designed by Marines to test your skills on a variety of levels.  The first three (comprising the "Trifecta") are mud runs, 5-6 miles each, one beach run, and three road runs from 5K-Half Marathon.  I am accustomed to running, but need A LOT of work on the upperbody strength and skill it will take to survive a mud run with the G.I. Josephs.  I have until February 7 to train for the first of these races, the Xtreme Challenge 10K.

1. Assorted running (3/week)

giphy.gif

I will choose a "run" from the following:

• Trail run/hike
  • Speed run (intervals, sprints, Tabata, etc)
  • Long run (for the purpose of this challenge, 3.5-5 miles)

2. Assorted bodyweight lifting (3/week)

200.gif

I will choose a bodyweight workout from the following:

• MovNat Movement of the Day (MOD)
  • Playground workout
  • GMB Parallettes for Beginners

3. Unassorted losing of weight without losing my Muchness (or my mind)

food_add.gif

I will eat Primal for two meals a day and track eating in "Lose It" app.

The running stuff is mostly for maintenance.  I really need to focus on the bodyweight training and bodyweight reducing.  Getting over obstacles is much easier when there is less of you to get over.

do-not-keep-calm-go-pt-oorah-.png

Oops!  Almost forgot.

Side quest:  National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) - write a 50,000 word novel between Nov 1-30.

giphy.gif

• Like 4

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Journey before Destination

This looks badass. I really want to do one of the more intense mud runs, but neither my running nor my upper body strength are really up to snuff for the distances or obstacles. When in 2015 is the Grand Prix? Is this the February one, or is that something different? I can't remember. I'm forgetful.

This looks badass. I really want to do one of the more intense mud runs, but neither my running nor my upper body strength are really up to snuff for the distances or obstacles. When in 2015 is the Grand Prix? Is this the February one, or is that something different? I can't remember. I'm forgetful.

The Grand Prix is all seven races (Feb, Mar, Apr, June, Sept, Oct, Dec). You get 5 points for finishing each race (and more points for placing...but I'm not getting my hopes up on that one.) At the end of the year, awards are given for the most collected points. This is in addition to medals earned for the individual races. You can enter as many or as few of the races as you want, but obviously more races equal more points toward the total, and completing all seven demonstrates versatility and general badassitude.

Also, to add to the confusion, a special medal is given for simply completing the Trifecta (not placing), which is the first 3 runs in Feb, Mar, and Apr (all mud runs).

Clear as...mud, right? So the first step of both the Grand Prix and the Trifecta is the 10K in Feb.

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Looks badass, effective, and fun - Go, G.I. Jane! And, welcome to the Rangers!

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

Looks badass, effective, and fun - Go, G.I. Jane! And, welcome to the Rangers!

Thanks! I tested out a trail yesterday for hikes and MODs; it was unbelievably enjoyable. Looking forward to this challenge!

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

so awesome! I'm planning for a 7 race series in 2015 too (just running though...no hardcore marine obstacles). And I love that you casually slipped in writing a novel as a "small" side quest.

That's great! What kind of distances are you running next year? This will be my first obstacle course, and I am terrified. Terrified right into actually doing the workouts and losing the weight, which was the point. :P. Good luck to you!

the grand prix sounds totally bad ass!

what is the novel going to be about?

The semi-official blurb:

Title: Mirrored

Summary: Analiese Ryan feels reality is a little too real to be borne. She spends most of her time escaping into daydreams and novels until an otherworldly visitor shows her all too clearly what she is really hiding from.

So far, the writing is garbage, but NaNo novels are meant to be very rough drafts. Mostly, I want to practice just writing every day. My novels have a habit of living in my head and never making it to print.

• Like 3

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

The Grand Prix is all seven races (Feb, Mar, Apr, June, Sept, Oct, Dec). You get 5 points for finishing each race (and more points for placing...but I'm not getting my hopes up on that one.) At the end of the year, awards are given for the most collected points. This is in addition to medals earned for the individual races. You can enter as many or as few of the races as you want, but obviously more races equal more points toward the total, and completing all seven demonstrates versatility and general badassitude.

Also, to add to the confusion, a special medal is given for simply completing the Trifecta (not placing), which is the first 3 runs in Feb, Mar, and Apr (all mud runs).

Clear as...mud, right? So the first step of both the Grand Prix and the Trifecta is the 10K in Feb.

Um... yeah... that makes sense.

Jennifer-Lawrence-ok-thumbs-up.gif

• Like 1

11/6/14 Day -4

I did my parallettes workout yesterday.  My heart really wasn't in it, so it took twice as long as it should have, but I got it done.  (Upper body workouts still haven't reached the level of automation my running has -- still have to use willpower to get them done.)

Parallettes, for those who don't know, are these:

parallettes-1.jpg

Just low bars that make training a little easier by adding some incline and taking weak wrists out of the equation (wrists are straight, not bent on p-bars), but adding a grip strength component.  It's also a great start for adding some gymnastic type exercises like the handstand, tuck, or L-sit, but at safe heights.

My parallettes workout looks like this:

Warmup

Plank 25s

Pushups 5x5 (ideally...I'm not there yet)

Dips 5x5

Jump Through 5x5 (Start in Plank and jump through the bars to Dip position, wash, rinse, repeat)

Tuck 5sx5

Cool Down

Recently, however, I have added a highly-assisted Pullup 5x3 to the workout (although obviously not on the parallettes), because I need the pull strength for the obstacles like climbing nets and walls.

Kept within dietary guidelines.

11/7/14 Day -3

Sprints on the menu today, if I think my foot is up to it (still a little stiff and sore from the Half on Sunday).  If not, I'll combine sprints with a playground workout tomorrow.

• Like 1

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

good work getting the upper body workout done. Getting it done even when you really aren't feeling it is when it counts the most

True. I'm glad I have my goals set for next year, or I would probably quit. I have to keep reminding myself that I need to get through the boring base building phase in order to develop the strength to do the cool stuff I want to achieve later. If I skip the base, I'll only get hurt attempting the badass stuff.

P.S, That's one of the things I had to learn about myself. Pushups? Not me. Parkour? SO me. But I have to master pushups if I want to parkour. Weird, huh? That you might have to find yourself by pushing through a lot of "not you".

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

True. I'm glad I have my goals set for next year, or I would probably quit. I have to keep reminding myself that I need to get through the boring base building phase in order to develop the strength to do the cool stuff I want to achieve later. If I skip the base, I'll only get hurt attempting the badass stuff.

P.S, That's one of the things I had to learn about myself. Pushups? Not me. Parkour? SO me. But I have to master pushups if I want to parkour. Weird, huh? That you might have to find yourself by pushing through a lot of "not you".

Yea I get that, I've tried an awful lot of exercise that I hate to find what I like

• Like 1

This does look intense! The gifs though, wow.

Tell me about those Body weight workouts?

This message was convincingly brought to you by,"my imaginative brain", co-produced by "my nimble but bulbous fingers".

Class and Profession: Rangers
Background: 25 year old Nerdling. Here to kick some health......butt?? I need to work on that.

Current Challenge: Hani Gets Back On The Health Choo-Choo

This does look intense! The gifs though, wow.

Tell me about those Body weight workouts?

This message was convincingly brought to you by,"my imaginative brain", co-produced by "my nimble but bulbous fingers".

Ooh, glad you asked.

1. MovNat - The focus of MovNat is to "Move Naturally", according to twelve basic human movements: walking, running, jumping, balancing, moving on all fours, climbing, lifting, carrying, throwing, catching, swimming and defending. Everything you do involves one or a combination of these movements. Instead of isolating a particular muscle group, a MovNat MOD would involve practicing proficiency at some of the movements: crawl, lift a log or big rock, climb a tree, etc. Some workouts may be trained indoors, but most are improved by being in nature, making it wonderfully suitable for training for a mud run. Plus, it's really fun, and surprisingly intense. Workouts can be more formal, like circuit training (balance on a log for 12 feet, crawl 50 yards, broad jump x3, etc)

2. Parallettes - I have explained some about this in a previous post. This is my more formal bodyweight training with planks, dips, pushups, etc, performed on a pair of bars about 8 inches from the ground.

3. Playground Workout - This is a very relaxed workout, kind of like play, but just adding an extra day of exercise to my routine. I will be chasing my kids in, around, and on the playground equipment, just getting used to being on various obstacles like the climbing wall, monkey bars, etc. It will be unstructured, but with an eye toward pushing my comfort zone (heights make me nervous).

And that's pretty much it.

• Like 2

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

What's your writing strategy? Wondering how much of the novel you have outlined vs how much you make up as you go along.

I have been pretty much pantsing this one. I have a general idea of where the story is going, but I didn't outline this time. That may have been a mistake.

• Like 1

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness