karinajean gives herself ALL THE PRESENTS

karinajean

I tried to beat the sad pandas last challenge, but I didn't realize I was PLAYING INTO THEIR HANDS.
l-Bored-Panda.jpg

See, you might not know this, but sad pandas are pedantic, points driven, and very metric based.
They want you to try things that don't always make you feel better.
they are not totally interested in letting you be a happy panda.

so I ended up feeling more sadder, because playing the game by Sad Panda rules meant you are always going to be a sad panda.

I don't want to be sad panda!
I want to be a sparkly assassin!
No more mopefests for me!
986eafb93c3fe5f4efd605ce9577c117.jpg
(bonus halloween photo!)

So I need to structure this challenge for LOGGING SUCCESS.

my MAIN QUEST is to be a FLASHING NEON ARROW pointing to HOW AWESOME I'm DOING.

like this:

set1right.gif MY SUCCESS

BECOMETHEARROW.

First, let's talk about grades. I hate grades. So I'm going to use NOT SO HOT / GOOD / BETTER / BEST to rate myself.

GOAL 1: MAKE A LIST / CHECK IT TWICE
Every Monday I'll have a workout schedule and every week I'll check off my points. There. Simple. Things that go on the workout schedule may and will likely include: going to physical therapy. arm day at the gym. tae kwon do. extra bonus points (i.e., boost my non-grades up a scale) will be given for massive groups of sit-ups in one day, or similar bulk exercises.

tl:dr - write up a weekly exercise calender, track it here, and check off the boxes. bonus bump! do a bunch of extra exercises in a day, like, 100 sit-ups or something torturous.

GOAL 2: PLAY WITH ALL MY TOYS
So far I've accumulated a bunch of toys. SWORDS. A SPARKLY HULA HOOP. NUNCHUCKS.
I have to make time to play with them!
I'm not 100% sure yet how this will work. but it'll go on the schedule, and be rated as a separate goal. I'm thinking 5 minutes a day for x days with the hoop or chucks. I don't know enough yet about swords, so that will involve going to weapons class to practice.

tl:dr - make a special point to schedule in toy time and hit that goal.

GOAL 3: USE MY OWN DATA TOOLS / TAKE THAT UGLY SAD PANDAS
I have been doing really really well with tracking all my calories. even when I'm not doing great, I've been tracking for over a year. I know it's a huge part of my success. HOWEVER. better than that success is actually staying under my calories goal. When I look back over the last challenge, I didn't do that. so every week, that's what I'm going to do. (I'm giving myself one exception, for [American] thanksgiving week. I am in a blended family and I think I have to have 2 thanksgiving dinners. I do pretty good with these meals but I like to taste everything and that adds up. Last year running a 10k on thanksgiving saved my bacon, but I can't count on that this year with my wonky knee so I get a pass.

tl:dr - Continue to track calories every day AND ALSO stay under my calories goal for the week.. bonus bump! for tracking caffeine too, using the jawbone coffee app.

LIFE QUEST: NO REALLY BECOME THE NEON SIGN.

I know, it's nuts to want to be stealth assassiny creature yet be a neon sign. but who wants to be a sparkly assassin anyway? ME, that's who.

but it's hard to crow on your successes, and I need a little more of an explicit boost.

I'm feeling a little slumpy. I had my first nerdiversary during the last quest and while I'm doing super good, and seeing good, long-term results, they're slow, and I'm bored and a sad cupcake, and I don't want to be a sad panda because their panda games are boring and their rules suck and everyone is totally emo and boring (did I say boring?).

for my life quest I'm going to really focus on the best most awesome things I'm achieving. and I'm going to report them back. Some of them will be fitness related, some will be body size related, some will be skill related. Some might be totally random and related to things that I've finally completed in my regular life. This is where I'll be giving myself all the presents. I need them right now, yo.

tl:dr - look forward to me posting lots of crowing posts. I need to highlight my accomplishments a little more and remind myself how awesome I'm doing.

FIRST! | WK 1 | WK 2 | WK 3 | WK 4 | WK 5 | WK 6

• Like 8

This challenge format should work a lot better for you!  I'm not surprised that you've been struggling with the Sad Pandas a bit.  You've been dealing with mind numbingly boring PT for 4 months-ish.  Playing with all of the toys should alleviate the boredom quite a bit.  :)

• Like 3

Yay, so happy to see you!  Your post made me laugh too many times to count, and I am now contemplating whether sad pandas or sad cupcakes are more depressing.  Boooooo.

I found that making a daily bulleted list of victories helped me keep myself honest about successes... I look forward to hearing about your victories! :love_heart:

• Like 1

Hear hear!   Take that Sad Pandas! 

tumblr_lqus0xO00W1qcjokg.gif

I love the focusing on the good rather than lamenting about missed points or grades that fall short of 'perfect'.

Like life gives us any chance for perfection... hah!    You show them pandas what you're made of, and I'll be right here and have your back the whole time!

• Like 1

Just one point - you may want to stay away from massive amounts of sit-ups, they can be quite hard on your back.   Maybe try some of these instead?

http://ruggedfellowsguide.com/10-alternatives-crunches-situps/

I did about 125 in one day as part of the mini-challenge a few weeks ago, and I did notice that they were hitting my back in weird places but mostly in a fatigue way, not a pain way. I do love the variety (and the name zomg I am such a part-time Monk) of the Bruce Lee abs, too. I think the real goal here is to do a METRIC SH*T TON of some kind of exercise because I didn't even realize i could do 125 sit-ups in one day before, and it was really good to find that out about myself. It's a good idea to use some of these ab exercises instead. like: FIVE-HUNDRED BICYCLES IN ONE DAY. TEN MINUTES OF PLANKS IN ONE DAY.

This challenge format should work a lot better for you!  I'm not surprised that you've been struggling with the Sad Pandas a bit.  You've been dealing with mind numbingly boring PT for 4 months-ish.  Playing with all of the toys should alleviate the boredom quite a bit.   :)

I have such a mixed feeling about PT! on the one hand it's definitely a workout and I appreciate the rigor of 3x a week. NO MATTER WHAT. that's good. but it really IS annoying, and I am constrained to doing it at certain times, and there's zero flexibility in my life. that is super annoying. I much prefer being able to choose between getting up at 5AM to go for a run or heading out for a super long and straight-up-and-down hike on a weekend.

I like the anti boredom theme!

I look forward to seeing what the neon sign points out, plus SWORDS and NUNCHUCKS sound awesome!

Subbed for the awesome!  Staying for nunchuks!

everyone loves weapons! :)

Yay, so happy to see you!  Your post made me laugh too many times to count, and I am now contemplating whether sad pandas or sad cupcakes are more depressing.  Boooooo.

I found that making a daily bulleted list of victories helped me keep myself honest about successes... I look forward to hearing about your victories! :love_heart:

I think sad cupcakes are better, because at least they're tasty, and sad pandas are kind of dicks. (see below for example of dickish behavior.)

Hear hear!   Take that Sad Pandas! 

tumblr_lqus0xO00W1qcjokg.gif

I love the focusing on the good rather than lamenting about missed points or grades that fall short of 'perfect'.

Like life gives us any chance for perfection... hah!    You show them pandas what you're made of, and I'll be right here and have your back the whole time!

yeah! awesome! CAN'T WAIT FOR YOUR CHALLENGE WHERE IS IT PLS?

Subbing for the crowing and the weapons (WEAPONS!) ;)

Pandas are more depressing.  'cause you can at least eat the cupcakes and then you don't have these cute little furballs dragging you down.

About literally becoming a neon sign... since halloween is over, they must be trying to sell off all those glowsticks... and I can't stop giggling at the image.

• Like 1

I have such a mixed feeling about PT! on the one hand it's definitely a workout and I appreciate the rigor of 3x a week. NO MATTER WHAT. that's good. but it really IS annoying, and I am constrained to doing it at certain times, and there's zero flexibility in my life. that is super annoying. I much prefer being able to choose between getting up at 5AM to go for a run or heading out for a super long and straight-up-and-down hike on a weekend.

everyone loves weapons! :)

I hear ya.  So many mixed feelings.  I would kill for 3X/week.  The whole every day thing really takes a toll on my willpower.  I'm going to start taking one day off a week where I might just do some light mobility or focus on things that I'm struggling with (like flexion) instead of the full meal deal.  I think that will help getting out of the loop where I freak out slightly and don't do ANYTHING for like 3 days.

Soooo the last 2 days have been brutal. Work has been work. I've had to fight the leadership in the alumni group I work with HARD. (At one point I turned to the president and said: "what's my role here - I show up with my new butch hair cut and look stern until you all do what I advised you to do 4 months ago?!" Note I said this immediately after all that just happened. He was like: I REALLY love your haircut. UGH.)

I'm also in this funny place of knowing I have more work to do but kinda really living my body right now. It's a danger zone! I want to be happy and confident but I really don't want to become complacent and lazy.

Off to the gym for physical therapy exercise, then back for Tkd. I'm exhausted, today needs to be about taking it easy and resting (after all that physical activity stuff).

Sent from my iPhone while riding a unicorn through the cosmos.

• Like 1