• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

karinajean

karinajean gives herself ALL THE PRESENTS

I remember when my brother hit the "can't stop the foot smell from happening" stage, and he would have to leave his shoes outside. that's where we are right now.

Deodorant spray and the little smelly balls.  We put those in my brother's boots and spray them a lot.

I'm not sure I should be happy or not that I don't smell the "New Cologne" smelliness from him yet...

Oh! Here's some crows: bicycles at the gym were tough so I did 3 sets of them. AND today I increased my lat pulldown to 90 lbs. AND ALSO I got an unsolicited "you're so muscular!" from my husband, and I know he wasn't just trying to sweet talk me.

Sent from my iPhone while riding a unicorn through the cosmos.

Crow-ing it up lady!  :D

I hope the negotiations with PT go well too.  And that that cold leaves.  Tea and soup maybe?

• Like 1

Ummm I'm at physical therapy and I'm getting kind of strongly graduated. Aw. I did explain to him that I need to be able to cut and do twisting on my leg, and he gets that a little and is ok w me coming in every couple of weeks to check in. I'm really nervous about overdoing it if I'm on my own. Y'all know me. I'm an overdoer. A sprinter and a pusher and a work to fatiguer.

I feel like this is a huge milestone and I'm really not excited about it. So mixed up.

I'm going to get back to the drawing board so I can work in couch to 5k, plus weights, plus cutting practice and jumping practice, plus arms.

I should be happy? But I'm kinda feeling stressed and worried. Stupid mental games. ACL recovery is such a mindfuck.

Edit - on the way out he did say that lots of patients have separation anxiety, but I do have some legitimate reasons. That makes me feel a little better.

I can definitely understand the anxiety. My meniscus recovery took longer than necessary because I was afraid to mess something up. But, you are not completely on your own. At those check-ins, can he write a plan? Something like, 'start with these exercises, and if all feels good, then add this many reps each session, and change the routine like this the following week?'

• Like 1

Karinajean ...

You apparently have the same silly, jokester sense of humor as I do.

At least judging by the titles we've both been given.   :P

LOVE IT!

Also the separation anxiety is a thing - yes!   When you're the kind who pushes hard for the results you want, it's always nice to have that well trained person who knows just how much is good watching over you.   But if he's graduating you, then trust he feels you're in a place where he's ready to let you do that. :)

• Like 1

Getting a plan is good.  I'm only at formal PT every 2-3-4 weeks now, but I have certain exercises and plans to change it up/make it harder as necessary.  Use your judgement!  If knee gets sore/swollen, drop it back for a bit!

• Like 1

Congrats on the graduation. I've never been seriously injured, so  no real tips. However, Nymeria and you had similar injuries and personalities. Seemed to me like it's kind of move forward some, move back thing. She has done stuff, realized it was too much and then had to pull back some. From my limited knowledge. seems like the key is you may end up pushing it a bit much, but then the next days you need to slow down and not keep pushing, and then start back up. 

Also, I see we are in the Oscar Mayer Weiner camp together. :D 

• Like 1

It stinks, though, when you're cut off from PT not because you're truly "done", but rather because insurance no longer wants to pay for it.  My physical therapist gave me a handout of exercises as well as instructions on how to progress them.  Most PTs are fine with having you call them if you have any concerns.  If it makes you feel any better, you're pretty damned disciplined, so I'm sure you'll stay honest with your home PT.  You've been through this before and know what to expect.  You are aware enough of your body to notice and address your weaknesses.  And your recovery has been going wonderfully so far.  I'm sure you'll be fine!

I know a lot of PTs don't care for using knee braces, but have you asked yours about that?  It might help you get back into the TKD a bit sooner without risking hyperextending your knee or doing other bad things to it.   

• Like 1

well so first things first. today is my long day, by which I mean I have to leave the house at 6:30 and drive for 100 miles to my construction site and sit through meetings all morning and then go about my day. Today I ditched the office in the afternoon and went back out to my friends house where she is still sitting shiva. (SIDEBAR but seeing my friends dad receive so many visitors this week the two times I've been there made me think a lot about my communities, and how my in person community isn't as robust as my online community. and while I usually end up meeting most of my online friends [you've been warned] and I have maintained really good long term relationships (oh craps for like, 15 years) with people, it's hard to get to know people locally. I've been in this house for 5 years now? six? and I've got only about 10 local friends. GRANTED my friend's parents live in NYC and lived in the same house for 45 years, but it's a stark contrast with my lifestyle and my communities.)

also at my friends house I ate so much licorice. sigh.

and then I came straight home for TKD which was really great. lots of focus on punching and moving at angles while sparring. I am feeling much more confident with the stepping forwards and backwards. I'm not up to cutting, or anything, but I'm keeping up. I have long tkd class on sat., which means tomorrow I need to get up early to do either legs or arms, and then hit the gym early on sat. to do the other set. SO MUCH.

I'm also kind of making a mental list of things to do for on-going rehab. I'm going to just keep going with what I've got for the next couple of weeks until after [american] thanksgiving. then I'll work in new stuff.

• Like 1

I can definitely understand the anxiety. My meniscus recovery took longer than necessary because I was afraid to mess something up. But, you are not completely on your own. At those check-ins, can he write a plan? Something like, 'start with these exercises, and if all feels good, then add this many reps each session, and change the routine like this the following week?'

I went over some stuff with him, and I'm going to spend some time writing up my ideas so he can say YES or NO OH HECK NO.

I'm sure I'll be fine, but I really do appreciate him telling me when to do more - even though, as I think on it, I was often the one saying "can I have another exercise."

Karinajean ...

You apparently have the same silly, jokester sense of humor as I do.

At least judging by the titles we've both been given.   :tongue:

LOVE IT!

Also the separation anxiety is a thing - yes!   When you're the kind who pushes hard for the results you want, it's always nice to have that well trained person who knows just how much is good watching over you.   But if he's graduating you, then trust he feels you're in a place where he's ready to let you do that. :)

he does think that I am doing really well. really really well. of course, he does work with a lot of elderly people. but he's a good PT, and I do need to trust him. sigh. I just really appreciate the reassurance of a trained professional, you know?

Getting a plan is good.  I'm only at formal PT every 2-3-4 weeks now, but I have certain exercises and plans to change it up/make it harder as necessary.  Use your judgement!  If knee gets sore/swollen, drop it back for a bit!

he showed me the quad extension machine and explained how to use it safely and also cleared me for running with the couch to 5k program. He also showed me some cutting exercises in progression, which is awesome. I guess I'll go next week, then in 2 weeks, and then maybe in 2 or 3 weeks after that.

Congrats on the graduation. I've never been seriously injured, so  no real tips. However, Nymeria and you had similar injuries and personalities. Seemed to me like it's kind of move forward some, move back thing. She has done stuff, realized it was too much and then had to pull back some. From my limited knowledge. seems like the key is you may end up pushing it a bit much, but then the next days you need to slow down and not keep pushing, and then start back up. 

Also, I see we are in the Oscar Mayer Weiner camp together. :D 

it's a huge compliment to be compared to Nymeria!

My PT also said that I should just press forward and to judge my level of activity "by the pain." um.... very princess bride of him but I don't think that's what he meant! I'm a little nervous after the running setback I had a month or so ago, but I need to remember that I am good at healing, and if I hurt myself it will heal. There's very little I can do following a regular PT progression that will injure my graft. gotta trust that.

It stinks, though, when you're cut off from PT not because you're truly "done", but rather because insurance no longer wants to pay for it.  My physical therapist gave me a handout of exercises as well as instructions on how to progress them.  Most PTs are fine with having you call them if you have any concerns.  If it makes you feel any better, you're pretty damned disciplined, so I'm sure you'll stay honest with your home PT.  You've been through this before and know what to expect.  You are aware enough of your body to notice and address your weaknesses.  And your recovery has been going wonderfully so far.  I'm sure you'll be fine!

I know a lot of PTs don't care for using knee braces, but have you asked yours about that?  It might help you get back into the TKD a bit sooner without risking hyperextending your knee or doing other bad things to it.   

the thing that's really throwing me is that I have plenty of money in my flexible savings account to keep going - and I have to use it up anyway - and my PT is STILL like: no, you're doing really good. I think this is where I wish he was more athletically oriented. He works on a lot of elderly people, and I am definitely the only one in his practice really sweating away. it was really good when I showed him the side kick pivot (on my non-surgery leg) and his eyes kind of got big and thoughtful. that helped him understand what I am trying to get back to.

and as much as I'm disciplined, it's super easy to get lazy and I am REALLY good at being lazy. but I've got NF to keep me honest, and that is a huge deal.

so it's my surgeon who is pretty anti-brace. He's been very hands off and no brace the whole time, and with my other leg I never had a brace (though I wasn't doing martial arts at that time, just running and other regular activities). my PT actually thinks it's kind of weird that my surgeon never suggested I use a brace...

OH HEY, for people that aren't into tae kwon do, this is what I'm talking about with the pivot - the video shows it very well, and he calls it out specifically. watch his standing leg and how he pivots on the ball of his foot until his heel points towards his target. That pivot motion is probably going to be the last thing I get back.  

(also there are a heck of a lot of videos for kicking out there, and almost none of them show you the pivot. that's kind of.... terrifying.)

• Like 3

OK, after my mid-week mopefest re: silly PT, I need a crow.

here's my stats via trendweight:

med_gallery_28493_1119_21384.jpg

I don't know what happened mid-month, and totally acknowledging how a bodyweight calculation on a scale is kind of wishy washy and highly influenced by things like dehydration/etc., but: y'all, look. My weight is staying the same BUT I'm losing fat and gaining muscle. YAY.

also, I've been thinking. I really do need to crow about "graduation" from PT. Sure, I'm totally not at 100% pre-injury. Sure, it's going to take me months longer before I can do sidekicks off of my surgery leg. but I worked really freakin' hard at PT. I always clocked 3x a week, even when I was on vacation and had to go to the gym 45 minutes away from the campsite. I crank through a zillion exercises in 45 minutes. seriously, I work pretty darn hard on that stuff. and I should be really proud of it!

I just have to remember to KEEP WORKING HARD.

but I can do that. I've got a good support network, some good role models, and a supportive husband at home who recognizes that I'm prioritizing this for me.

so! crows!

also another crow. my legs are almost entirely made out of muscles. I wish I could get a good photo to show you. there's very little that is not important to my leg function stuck underneath my skin. that's a really goofy and kind of gross way of saying I'm pretty proud of my strong strong legs.

• Like 3

He works on a lot of elderly people, and I am definitely the only one in his practice really sweating away.

You just made my day.      I am constantly the only one in the office working up a sweat.  Ok, well Gary does too, but he's a tennis coach but also older too.   But yeah, I leave sweat angels on my mat and feel a little guilty making a mess out of every surface I touch.     Glad to see someone else was the 'sweaty one' at the office.

Man... i am gonna miss that.     I'm gonna need you and Nym to keep me honest on doing the home program.

• Like 1

THAT TIME YOU WOKE UP AT 430AM WORRIED ABOUT A WORK DEADLINE AND GOT OUT OF BED TO CHECK THINGS AND REALIZED THEY ARE REPLACING THE SERVER AND YOU CAN'T MITIGATE THIS POTENTIALLY VERY EMBARRASSING ISSUE UNTIL SOMETIME WAY LATER IN THE AFTERNOON. 

You just made my day.      I am constantly the only one in the office working up a sweat.  Ok, well Gary does too, but he's a tennis coach but also older too.   But yeah, I leave sweat angels on my mat and feel a little guilty making a mess out of every surface I touch.     Glad to see someone else was the 'sweaty one' at the office.

Man... i am gonna miss that.     I'm gonna need you and Nym to keep me honest on doing the home program.

yea so, we are totally honesty buddies through the end of this challenge at least, right? b/c I need a buddy. BUDDY.

Cartman.jpg

now I have cartman saying BEEFCAKE! stuck in my head! hee.

Great crows! You DID work really hard at PT, and I think all your arugula eating is awesome. :)

thanks! arugula is so wonderful. unless you're a supertaster, I guess. which I am not.

• Like 1

How did the work deadline thing go?

I was able to log on this morning and put together the timeline - it's really unclear if we had to submit something in July 2013, November 2014, or July 2015. I sent an email to the guy who ought to know about this and I guess I'll have to figure it out tomorrow by calling the state. It's not a HUGE deal, but one of those embarrassing things that I ought to have figured out a long time ago. maybe july 2013.

yesterday was a stupid full day. it was overall good, but had some challenges. I'll summarize in +/-

- woke up at 430 panicked about a work deadline. was unable to do anything about it because the server was down for the weekend. UGH.

+ went to the gym for arms and banged that out in 20 min. or so. I was so tired and felt very weak. but still, I got there and did it.

+ went to the dojo for a judo-style boxing/kickboxing class. I still can't do the kicks, but it felt awesome to hit the heavy bag again. I badly need to work on my one-inch punching. my legs/arms/stance were totally out of whack. need more practice.

+ after that was weapons class and we did 2 nunchuck and 2 sword forms. it really highlighted areas that I need to practice on, and I'm going to strat working in the chucks for my toys practice.

+ then regular tkd class, which was YAY.

-/+ then to nyc on the train, which was great because I got to read a book, but maybe not great because I was so sleepy

- when I got to nyc I was exhausted and we hadn't firmed up plans with our friends. I had to meet my husband and just felt like crying because I was so stressed from the work wakeup and was so exhausted from working so hard.

+ when we did meet our friends, it was brilliant. we went to flushing for hot-pot. I have no idea how good for or bad for you this is, but I would recommend it to every person on the planet to eat. so delicious. (actually this article seems to imply that maybe it's not THAT bad for you. I'm going to log it as broth, and beef, and potatoes [to make up for the taro and lotus roots, for expediency's sake])

- got home so late. around 12:30. so I'm even more tireder.

but today is rest day! and it's.... snowing? sleeting? we have to go get my car from the train station from last night, and figure out food for the week, and plaster the bedroom wall where the closet demo we did left holes, and I have to do a little work, but other than that, we are good for resting.

• Like 2

'Other than a full day of errands and house repairs, we are resting.' You crack me up, while at the same time I feel like a huge slacker. :)

Seriously, though, I am glad that today has been a more relaxed day for you after yesterday's intensity.

• Like 2

'Other than a full day of errands and house repairs, we are resting.' You crack me up, while at the same time I feel like a huge slacker. :)

Seriously, though, I am glad that today has been a more relaxed day for you after yesterday's intensity.

If it makes you feel less lazy: we only did 25% of the chores! Got the car, got the groceries. Oh, and I struck a devils bargain with my husband: I went to the grocery store and he cleaned the kitchen. Except we both felt like we got the better end of the deal! SUCCESS.

• Like 2

If it makes you feel less lazy: we only did 25% of the chores! Got the car, got the groceries. Oh, and I struck a devils bargain with my husband: I went to the grocery store and he cleaned the kitchen. Except we both felt like we got the better end of the deal! SUCCESS.

Deals like that are awesome! :)
  • Like 1

Hooray for the chuck and sword forms!  I really think that might help you stay sane in TKD when you're still not able to truly do sparring or kicking.  :)  Are you doing single (just one set) or double (one set for each hand) with the chucks?

And ugggh for the weather.  I feel like it's nasty cold here, and you're up North quite a bit, so it must be even more awful for you.  I hope this cold front goes away soon. I'm not ready for winter quite yet.  

• Like 1

WEEK 1 RECAP
(remember grading = NOT SO HOT / GOOD / BETTER / BEST)

GOAL 1: MAKE A LIST / CHECK IT TWICE: write up a weekly exercise calender, track it here, and check off the boxes. bonus bump! do a bunch of extra exercises in a day, like, 100 sit-ups or something torturous.
Posted my workout schedule and I totally totally smoked it. I only had to reschedule 2 things, and I went to everything. YAY.
5b89fe145f8c69b34af2ab1e7d71a344.jpg
lookit all those red check marks!
PLEASE NOTE also included on this is my schedule for WEEK 2.

(and I penciled in week 3, to see how to fit it around thanksgiving).
so week one gets a = BEST.

GOAL 2: PLAY WITH ALL MY TOYS: make a special point to schedule in toy time and hit that goal.
I scheduled in 5x this week for 5 minutes each. I did great. I practiced hooping 4x and can waist hoop for like, 2-3 minutes at a go! I still need to work on it. totally spazzy. PLUS I went to weapons class and I'm counting that as toy time number 5.

totally giving myself a = BEST

GOAL 3: USE MY OWN DATA TOOLS / TAKE THAT UGLY SAD PANDAS: Continue to track calories every day AND ALSO stay under my calories goal for the week.. bonus bump! for tracking caffeine too, using the jawbone coffee app.

I DID GREAT ON THIS.
seriously.
check out my calories:

loseit 111714

AND I used the jawbone coffee app.
according to that, I don't drink nearly as much caffeine as I thought I did?
here's today:
de196f5e027871f61f7ff06c957c1ceb.jpg

today I had 2 large travel mugs of black tea before 830, and then 3 8 oz cups of coffee. hmmm.

anyway though, not only did I do great, but also bonus bump. that means!
= BEST!

LIFE QUEST: NO REALLY BECOME THE NEON SIGN.
CROW POSTS!
I did ok on this, but not that consistently!
= GOOD.

OF GENERAL INTEREST:
weight trend:

111714trendweight

I totally gained, like, 2 lbs after the hot pot dinner on sat. I think it was actually more salty than I had originally thought. OR it was all of the chocolate covered peanuts I ate sunday morning. that might also have something to do with it. SORRYNOTSORRY.

things I did to help me be better at stuff:
yesterday instead of finishing up all the open tasks I need to complete for work, I spent hours researching the new wave of activity trackers coming out that ostensibly will track your heart rate as well. I was pretty sold on the mio fuse, but it's not going to come out for WEEKS AT LEAST. and then started to look at the new fitbit that has an optical HRM sensor in it, and then also the jawbone version that's coming out too, and then I was looking at compatibility with the other tools I use (mostly with loseit where I track all my foods) and I got stressed out so I went ahead and bought an on-sale mio link, which is just the HRM sensor that connects to something else (like your phone, or like the bia sport I also own). because I have a skinny skinny wrist I could get it for $20 off (apparently there's a lot of returns on the skinny wrist model). I am super excited, and I can't wait until it arrives.

then I'll be as cool as starpuck and will know exactly how many calories I burn! (kinda).

and until then, here is a bonus kitty picture.
d3d1051d86496cb6c7e26920cfadab7f.jpg

SHE IS SO FUZZY.

FIRST! | WK 1 | WK 2 | WK 3 | WK 4 | WK 5 | WK 6

• Like 5