• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

karinajean

karinajean gives herself ALL THE PRESENTS

Hooray for the chuck and sword forms!  I really think that might help you stay sane in TKD when you're still not able to truly do sparring or kicking.   :)  Are you doing single (just one set) or double (one set for each hand) with the chucks?

And ugggh for the weather.  I feel like it's nasty cold here, and you're up North quite a bit, so it must be even more awful for you.  I hope this cold front goes away soon. I'm not ready for winter quite yet.  

we did one form single and one form double. I am really not sure where these forms come from, honestly, and it's a funny class in that they do the form and I try to not slow them down too much and try and keep up. I think I am going to ask for extra help with one of them at a time! it is really challenging, and I am very much in a mimic phase right now.

we are supposed to get kind of extra colder tomorrow! it does seem to early. I haven't even found my winter coat yet, I've just been wearing a bunch of layers. I had to insist that Eleven bring his winter coat over tonight from his mom's so he wouldn't freeze when he walks to the bus tomorrow morning.

oh poop gotta get out of bed to do toys!
and this cat. she is NOT making it easy.
she crept up onto my chest and tucked herself in under my chin and curled into a little ball and is purring loudly...
I'll give her a few more minutes to be cute.
fce9cac9594480676865531570a6bcf9.jpg

oooor maybe I'll reschedule toys for tomorrow.

• Like 1

oh hey crow!

I waited out Ella Olga Babygoat Torturekitty Murderclaws. she slept for about 20 minutes and then had to go sit somewhere else and have a bath. (NOT MY FAULT, she was the dirty one.)

and then I got up and watched a hooplovin' video on beginner stuff and hooped for A WHOLE FIVE MINUTES without it falling off. yay! and I also worked really hard on my posture and also walked in a tiny circle while this AMAZING FIVE MINUTES OF SUCCESS happened.

yay!

• Like 4

I am so tired today. I was up and at the gym early for arm day, and I really took what Hazard was saying on his thread about always pushing for heavier weight/more difficult progressions instead of waiting for it to get easy to heart. Today at work was the kind of day that made the back of my neck knot up with stress. And then I went to tae kwon do class tonight, which was actually pretty amazing, because the two instructors and I stayed late to go through all of the forms and to tweak them in order to make sure we were each teaching exactly the same techniques to the students.

All that (except the stress knot) is awesome. But I'm worn out. All my muscles in my body are tired, and it's leg day tomorrow. Got to go to sleep so I can get up early, speed clean, and head to the gym to do my PT exercises. But first: hooping.

Sent from my iPhone while riding a unicorn through the cosmos.

• Like 2

Oh, and crow!

I'm really pleased with my forms in Tkd. I still am not pivoting/kicking but my stances are really strengthening - I can tell they're much stronger than just a month ago. My arm movements are fierce. I feel precise on my movements. It's awesome.

• Like 3

I'm really pleased with my forms in Tkd. I still am not pivoting/kicking but my stances are really strengthening - I can tell they're much stronger than just a month ago. My arm movements are fierce. I feel precise on my movements. It's awesome.

Awesome!  One of the things that kept me sane through the rehab process was focusing on what I can do rather than what I can't.  You seem well on your way to that with the extra attention to stances, arm strikes, and weapons.  One of the things I love about martial arts is that there often is enough variety to work around injuries.  Does your school do much self defense/hapkido stuff?  You could pretty easily work on wrist locks and arm bars while rehabbing.

• Like 1

I woke up this morning and I was so super sore. my butt hurts. and then I wondered if me not taking my advil cold and sinus for a few days has unmasked some kind of underlying pain I've been in for the last couple of weeks. and then I took an advil cold and sinus, cleared out my stuff from the downstairs and did the dishes, and went to the gym again for legs day.

you know when you've been at a plateau for a long time and all of a sudden your body shifts and you, well... I guess you level up? I feel like I'm at that transformational place this week and if I survive it I will be amazing. I can't wait to see what happens. I hope I make it through.

I didn't do toys last night, but I did write that down on the schedule - I hadn't before! so I've got toys for the rest of the weekdays and then on sunday.

I also cancelled my PT appt for today and rescheduled for after thanksgiving. I want to sit down with him and go through which exercises are really important to keep doing, and how frequently, etc. I'm doing really good, but I'm working so stupid hard right now, and I don't have any room to work in the couch to 5K. I don't want to give up on arm day because I badly want to get to doing pull-ups. and I'm having a really hard time getting to the gym in the mornings with more than 45 minutes to work out. on the plus side, I'm going to the gym in the mornings - at this point 5x a week. if I could get my legs and arms onto the same day at, like, 2x a week, and do core work and running 3x a week, that would be really good.

today is looking to be stupid busy at work again, and I'm excited to drink all the coffee. all of it. it will be mine.

tonight I have a chiro appt, and my husband is home and will make me dinner. all these things point to good. I just have to plow through.

Awesome!  One of the things that kept me sane through the rehab process was focusing on what I can do rather than what I can't.  You seem well on your way to that with the extra attention to stances, arm strikes, and weapons.  One of the things I love about martial arts is that there often is enough variety to work around injuries.  Does your school do much self defense/hapkido stuff?  You could pretty easily work on wrist locks and arm bars while rehabbing.

we do a lot of self defense stuff, but I was nervous about joints even before my ACL - and this one blew because of a fancy self defense throw that went wrong. I'm powering through those nerves, though. I need a LOT more practice with wrist locks and arm bars. I only started learning those when I came to this school just over a year ago, and they're very much a discovery process every time I try to use one.

• Like 2

today is looking to be stupid busy at work again, and I'm excited to drink all the coffee. all of it. it will be mine.

tonight I have a chiro appt, and my husband is home and will make me dinner. all these things point to good. I just have to plow through.

Don't drink all the coffee....save some for me.

• Like 1

You asked me in my thread, but now that I've read here too, looks like we have the same amount of time for workouts.   YMMV, but I've done pretty ok with increasing strength/reps while doing only a limited amount of exercises per workout.    My whole list of 'stuff I do' is pretty short to be honest.    If ya like, I can try and jot down my sort of 'pick from list' for each thing I try to do per workout?

• Like 1

I think the best thing to do with the PT is comb through the exercises.  If you hate doing it, then it's probably one that you need to continue doing (unfortunately).  If it seems pretty easy, and if you already feel like you're pretty strong (like the hip abductors and adductors), just drop them.  I'd also try to figure out which ones you can easily do at TKD when they're doing kicks or something you shouldn't be doing.  Make a list of those and try to squeeze them into your TKD class.

Honestly, aside from running and such, 45 minutes should be plenty of time for a good PT + arms session.  The main reason I needed 1:15-1:30 for my PT workouts was the 30-40 minutes of jogging or elliptical.  I'd try to figure out a good mini-circuit, so you can spend a little less time resting between exercises and more doing your thing.  Like, if you're doing pull-ups, alternate sets with a set of squats or something.  

• Like 1

Coffee!!!!!

51No44Nm4rL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Time to workout is one of those scary things about (maybe) going back to a full-time office job.  You will be my inspiration!!  Meanwhile, I hope your PT can help you consolidate and get an efficient schedule.

• Like 1

Yesterday and today were smokin' busy. Crow: last night I hooped (waist!) for 5 minutes straight while reading a novel. !!! Also I just hit 120 books for the year, which is nuts.

Legs at the gym tomorrow, and knit night with my ladies. Can. Not. Wait. For the weekend. Of course, I have a solid boat load of things to do tomorrow so I can rest easy and relax. Ugh work.

• Like 1

Grats on the hooping crows and the 120 books for the year!  I'm amazed on the multi-tasking (reading while hooping/walking?!? holy ----) 'cause I can't seem to do that.

WOOT for the hula hooping!

tumblr_mpn14swcWM1qasthro1_r1_400.gif

His core muscles must be made of steel 0.0

• Like 1

WOOT for the hula hooping!

tumblr_mpn14swcWM1qasthro1_r1_400.gif

WHOA get a load of this guy!

Congrats on the waist hooping!  Of course, this means you now have to start working on the dreaded chest hooping.   ;)

ugh I know! I realized that earlier in the week I really needed to work on some new stuff. the reading thing might have pushed me over the edge into ridiculous.

Grats on the hooping crows and the 120 books for the year!  I'm amazed on the multi-tasking (reading while hooping/walking?!? holy ----) 'cause I can't seem to do that.

I am a fan of anything I can do while reading... so I always try and fit it in!

SO last week was pretty awful at work. suffice it to say I work closely with a very overloaded senior guy who gets frustrated at project pacing and blames me and sorta kinda tries to push things forward and then doesn't actually follow through and I have to complete everything he's started. we are dealing with a key field staff leaving and having to replace him, and it's a HUGE amount of work to bring new people onboard to my biggest project. it's a super complicated project with a lot of team members and I'm not looking forward to the next couple of weeks either.

that all said, I managed to get through the week, and I kept checking off boxes on my exercise schedule! EVEN HOOPING which was very much an afterthought every day. I did it though. and today I got up early and finished something that I hadn't managed to get to yesterday at work, and ran off to the gym for a marathon arms day, and rushed home and dragged Eleven off to tae kwon do. after that we picked up tamales and donuts and brussel sprouts and came home and we are just hanging out this afternoon.

while I was at the gym there was this hipster beardo beefcake (I KNOW, generally only 2 of those three words go together at any given time) who was jumping rope, and then went to the pull-up bar and did these insanely fast muscle-ups, and then he jumped rope, and then he did freakin' pull-ups where he RELEASED THE BAR AND CLAPPED. show off. and also, when can *I* do those?

ALSO I got a heart rate monitor! I ordered the mio link because: no chest strap, and also on sale. however when it came in, I found out that the mio go program is really only for calibration of heart rate zones, and there's no calorie calculation which is sorta really what I wanted for when I'm doing PT or weights... so I spent a lot of time last night and this morning doing searches for things like "HRM iphone app calories algorithm." it turns out that things like runkeeper, strava, and mapmyfitness don't incorporate HRM feedback when they calculate calories used during a tracked activity. there's a few open source or 3rd party apps that do, and I linked in with wahoo fitness, which uses an algorithm and then also has an option to upload to runkeeper, which I have linked in to loseit. what a huge hassle! I really didn't realize this would be so difficult - I thought I could just link it up through runkeeper directly - but NOPE. now, however, I just popped open loseit to see the my tae kwon do (160 calories for the hour class - concerned that is an overestimate) and arm day (175 calories for the 30 minutes of lifting - that seems reasonable) already loaded in. that's so nice, especially after all the work I had to do in order to figure that out.

• Like 1

Great work getting movement in! I've seen those clapping pullups on the internet, never by someone in person though-pretty cool hipster beefcake beardo guy.

Thanks! And it was SO hard not to stare. Thank goodness for gym mirrors.

• Like 2

Took some progress pics today:

6e71e17cccebb9e3d246aeaf2b753576.jpg

9e097343c12717864428d85e7c791d44.jpg

I think my arm muscles are getting bigger and also my stomach may be flattening out. Need to work on uniform posture / pose in these. Doh. also need to grab some measurements tomorrow, too.

• Like 7