• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

karinajean

karinajean gives herself ALL THE PRESENTS

The progress pics are amazing!  It's really apparent on the side view just how much trimmer you've become.  I think one of the few silver linings with the ACL rehab is that it forces you to be incredibly active at the gym, which in turn leads to a lot of fat loss.  

• Like 2

Great progress!!

Fantastic

this post avoided the black hole of typing on a phone. tapatalk

The progress pics are amazing!  It's really apparent on the side view just how much trimmer you've become.  I think one of the few silver linings with the ACL rehab is that it forces you to be incredibly active at the gym, which in turn leads to a lot of fat loss.  

thanks everyone!

you know, it took me until THIS MORNING to realize that OF COURSE the side view will show more of a change, I really am a classic apple shape, with skinny legs and hips and weight gain all in my belly. Now I feel a lot better about not seeing much change in my waist. :) ridiculous! but even when I was super duper skinny (starving college student) I didn't have a lot of waist definition from the front. no reason for that fundamental to change just because I've aged.

• Like 1

WEEK 2 RECAP
(remember grading = NOT SO HOT / GOOD / BETTER / BEST)

GOAL 1: MAKE A LIST / CHECK IT TWICE: write up a weekly exercise calender, track it here, and check off the boxes. bonus bump! do a bunch of extra exercises in a day, like, 100 sit-ups or something torturous.
Posted my workout schedule and did EVERYTHING and with no reschedules.
f152f578a2985b906c0cb1ca30ec8958.jpg

(everything except for toys yesterday, pls to see below).

so week two gets a = BEST, because I'm going to take the hit for toys in Goal 2, and because I didn't reschedule.

GOAL 2: PLAY WITH ALL MY TOYS: make a special point to schedule in toy time and hit that goal.
I scheduled in 5x this week for 5 minutes each. I hit 4 times. I totally could have done 5 minutes last night with the hoop, but I didn't want to. I just didn't want to.

HOWEVER I see a lot of improvement. This week I managed to waist hoop for 5 minutes straight while reading a novel. That's awesome. That also means I need to do more different tricks.

giving myself a = GOOD. it would be a better, except that I seriously made a conscious decision not to hoop yesterday.

GOAL 3: USE MY OWN DATA TOOLS / TAKE THAT UGLY SAD PANDAS: Continue to track calories every day AND ALSO stay under my calories goal for the week.. bonus bump! for tracking caffeine too, using the jawbone coffee app.

I DID GREAT ON THIS. again! yay!
seriously.
check out my calories:

loseit 112414

I used the jawbone coffee app but only about 1/2time. so no bump on this, but I'm still giving myself a BEST because I totally am still below calories for the week.
= BEST!

LIFE QUEST: NO REALLY BECOME THE NEON SIGN.
CROW POSTS!
I did ok on this, but not that consistently!

but I DID take the time to do another progression pic, and to post it up.

(honestly putting the cat head onto my body makes me laugh so hard. it's good for me to do this for a number of reasons.)
= BETTER.

OF GENERAL INTEREST:
weight trend:

112414trendweight

I'm really excited that my sunday/monday weight gain (which is expected, I let go a little on the weekends) was MUCH less than it usually is. only about a lb, instead of 2-3 lbs. that is TOTALLY what kicked me into a downward trendline.

NEXT WEEK (week 3)

this is american thanksgiving week.
I'm going to be traveling a LOT, too.
today I'm taking off the afternoon and driving up this to Albany to meet my sister and then we are driving to Boston for her chemo tomorrow.
so tomorrow I'm driving her home, then me home. I am *trying* to get back in time for tkd, at 630PM.
then wednesday is regular work, but also maybe a 6-10inch snowstorm? we'll see. that's a whole 2 days away. ANYTHING can happen in that time.
Thursday is thanksgiving, but the gym is open early so I'm going to do arms then before we drive up to Albany for thanksgiving dinner with my mom.
then we come home, and leave on Friday for MD, where we are having 2nd thanksgiving with my husband's brother and parents. again, the gym is open in the morning so I'll be there for PT before we head down.
This leaves me with an arms day that I can't fit in, and 2 rest days on the weekend (which will be pretty nice, actually).
so instead of weights/etc. I'm going to work on incline pushups on tuesday and possibly saturday, depending on how many I fit in while traveling on Tuesday?. I'm going to do sets of 5 during the day.

OH and food wise.

I'm not going to stress out if I go over on the thanksgiving celebration days.

I'll just do my best on the other days to hit targets.

SO. that's my plan.
sticking to it.

FIRST! | WK 1 | WK 2 | WK 3 | WK 4 | WK 5 | WK 6

• Like 2

Your progression is going so well!  And I agree, the side picture is vastly different from the other two (go you!).  And your "When can *I* do that" comment about the muscle ups made me laugh because that was my initial thought too (need to get pullups though).

Woah, busy busy thanksgiving.  All the luck on hitting the gym as scheduled :D

Yeah, there's no maybe about it.  There is a very noticeable difference in those pictures.

From another apple, it's been the most frustrating thing to see all this definition in legs/arms but not being able to see much waist change - until you really look at things like your pictures, or I go back through past waist measurements.

Oh man girl, great progress pics!!!   And I love love love your calendar!  I do the same thing at home, except I bought a dry erase one and a bunch of colored markers... lol.

You're doing awesome lady, keep it up!

The last few days have been hecticpants!

I drove up to albany and met my sister, and then we drove to boston - but because I'd exercised in the morning and made smart choices I ate a delicious dinner with delicious beers and was still in on calorie budget.

here is the leg day heart rate monitor info from my new mio link. I'm excited that it was pretty much in alignment with what I had guesstimated my caloric usage was!

4244e10e6f7093d3aea295c489c00c43.jpg

you can see the running at the beginning, then weights, then lap 3 is the squats/lunges/back and forths/high knees. stretching after. I guess I'm a breathless stretcher.

Tuesday was a good day too. a little more food than budgeted, but considering all the travel and cafeteria food I was offered, my giant fish taco lunch was the absolute right choice. ALSO we went to WEBS (which is a really nice yarn store that everyone loves and that I've never been to before) and I got the stuff to make xmas gifts! yay!
I didn't get home in time for tae kwon do, which means no practice at all this week. that's kind of tragical.
also I didn't do any pushup practice during the day because it turns out that a cancer center is kind of not the right place to do exercises showing off how healthy you are. I figured that one out on my own before I started anything, happily.

Today! working at home because horrible snow. however the storm didn't start until mid-morning so I was able to go to the gym for leg day.
bb4cf76739258772cef47ce017c90648.jpg
NOT SURE why I'm a little under but I think I lost connection to the HRM (or the HRM lost connection to me) and that may have dropped it down a little. whatever. still pretty cool.

and now I've got to go out and do some shoveling, too. gonna take my mio link outside and see what that says.
pork picnic butt in the crock pot for dinner. I feel like I phoned it in - I dropped it in on top of some quartered onions, a bunch of bay leaves, some pepper corns... and then I poured a bottle of beer on top. Hope it comes out ok.

just one crow so far this week:
Two nights this week I double checked available calories before having a 2nd beer. AND I WAS COOL FOR BEER. yay.

ALSO I am sticking the suffix -saur on the end of everything pokemon style. that's totally normal, right? when I wake up my husband I say "good morning snoresaur!"

and here is kittysaur with all of my husbands new shoe lasts.
cba12aafbd70ce88b558fcad627a988f.jpg

and it's totally snowsaur all up in here.
64c9539a6416ec8d9738f4c99147124f.jpg

gonna have to get up and go shovel before it's too heavy to push...

• Like 3

American thanksgiving part the first was had. It looked like this:

2edc8dbc5bc401b6593c1d74f8178bb5.jpg

And this:

44ec57a886a7b0da82ba833fda9a6edb.jpg

(The squash bisque [not shown] was entirely superfluous and, like, a whole 400 extra calories. But so delicious.)

I have been going to the gym bunches. Thursday and also today. We are on the road to Frederick MD to have 2nd thanksgiving with my in laws. I have written off all toy usage this week. I'm pleased that I was below (slightly) calorie goals before first thanksgiving dinner. I'm proud that on a week with a big gluttonous holiday plus travel to Boston so far, I'm doing a great job of being conscious of what I'm eating and prioritizing where I want to eat lots.

Sent from my iPhone while riding a unicorn through the cosmos.

• Like 1

Great job at keeping the calories low before Thanksgiving and being mindful during. We had two Thanksgivings too, so many opportunities for lots of food. Hope both of your Thanksgivings are wonderful.

• Like 1

Looks good.   The food, the charts, the kitteh!!  Hehehe.  I mean good as in cute, not as in good to eat. ;)

I figure going over on Thanksgiving is allowable.   It sure beats the idea of getting so pissed at calorie restriction that you take the turkey and throw it against the wall in rage.  ^.^ 

Going about it smartly FTW!

• Like 1

I don't think being 900 calories over budget for Thanksgiving is really all that bad.  You did a great job of compensating for it and being under budget for the week.  :)

That's a lot of snow!  Has it already melted, or is it still there?  My kids are totally jealous (but I'm not!).  Has the cold weather been making your knee feel a bit more stiff?

• Like 1

I don't think being 900 calories over budget for Thanksgiving is really all that bad.  You did a great job of compensating for it and being under budget for the week.   :)

That's a lot of snow!  Has it already melted, or is it still there?  My kids are totally jealous (but I'm not!).  Has the cold weather been making your knee feel a bit more stiff?

I do think that my knee is stiffer! it's weird. I feel aged. :(

but it's not too bad overall, really. just needs a little longer to warm up. how is yours doing?

The snow is nearly melted, and it was super warm yesterday. Eleven went sledding and apparently ran right into a bicycle that was buried in the snow and has a big scrape on his face. poor little dude. Today it's so much colder and I think we are due for sleet or something equally terrible during the evening commute?

WEEK 3 RECAP
(remember grading = NOT SO HOT / GOOD / BETTER / BEST)

GOAL 1: MAKE A LIST / CHECK IT TWICE: write up a weekly exercise calender, track it here, and check off the boxes. bonus bump! do a bunch of extra exercises in a day, like, 100 sit-ups or something torturous.
Posted my workout schedule, and I managed to do 3 gym-PT and 1 gym-arms. So, I'm calling this GOOD because: thanksgiving tracking.
med_gallery_28493_1119_66426.jpg

GOAL 2: PLAY WITH ALL MY TOYS: make a special point to schedule in toy time and hit that goal.
NOPE. I scheduled them out, I didn't do it. halfway through the week I realized I wasn't going to do it. so: NOT SO HOT.

GOAL 3: USE MY OWN DATA TOOLS / TAKE THAT UGLY SAD PANDAS: Continue to track calories every day AND ALSO stay under my calories goal for the week.. bonus bump! for tracking caffeine too, using the jawbone coffee app.

I did track calories every day. I also stayed at or below calories every day except for days I had thanksgivings, which was super!

loseit 113014

So I'm going to say BETTER!

LIFE QUEST: NO REALLY BECOME THE NEON SIGN.
CROW POSTS

Um, really, I only did like one of these. so, ok, GOOD.

OF GENERAL INTEREST:

weight trend:

120214trendweight

still stable. I'll take it.

NEXT WEEK (week 4)

still need to plan out. considering it's tuesday already: not awesome. hmm.

FIRST! | WK 1 | WK 2 | WK 3 | WK 4 | WK 5 | WK 6

• Like 3

URGH

I was up too late last night catching up on some work that HAD TO BE DONE.

basically I didn't get to sleep until midnightish.

I slept SO SOUNDLY that I only vaguely recollect my cat sleeping right on top of my chest and neck like a glamorous scarf.

(she's kind of a big cat. my mother in law would say she was trying to smother me. NOT TRUE. she's just a little bitey, not evil.)

and then today I had a plan.

wake up at 5AM.

get right out of bed and hit the road at 530 to drop my husbands car at the shop.

then take husband to train station and go to the gym, arriving at or around 6AM for LEG DAY.

and then go to work.

what ACTUALLY HAPPENED:

wake up right at 5AM.

get up and start to get ready for gym.

get back into bed and sleep accidentally until 540.

wake with a start and hustle to get ready for big day out.

realize at 6AM that husband has missed all the trains until 730.

decide that gym just isn't going to happen. go back upstairs and take a shower and get dressed.

drop husbands car at the shop.

drive to another train station close to my work.

go to work.

I'm pretty frustrated, but mostly because I was so sleepy this morning and couldn't make a plan happen.

we are out late tonight, and I have an early work day tomorrow, so unless I manage to squeeze in the gym tomorrow during the day (or super early before work) I won't be able to hit LEG DAY until friday.

which makes it hard to fit in my 3x this week.

this is the mitigation I thought of while showering - in the private lounge at work I can do:

* leg stretches

* squats

* split squats/back lunges

* jumping and high knees

* oh and bicycles/planks. not leg exercises, but good for me.

so I need to clear a couple of 10 minute increments during the day to get in there and do these.

• Like 1

Don't stress about missing the gym machines for leg day.  For almost every PT exercise, there should be some BW progression that you can just do at home.  In the worst case, just do some extra squats, lunges, and jumps, and call it a day.  

If you did those BW exercises, then you didn't miss leg day.  You MODIFIED leg day because life happens. 

Hope today went a little smoother, and if not, no biggie.  I have faith that you can crush whatever life throws at you.  

• Like 2

sooooo I did NOT do those exercises. my day was so flippin busy. seriously, M-W this week has been all about conference calls every freakin' 30 minutes.

BUT. I drove to nyc and met my husband and his band was playing, and it was fun, and then we stayed for the other bands and THEY WERE FREAKING AMAZING AND I LOVE THEM.

and! I DANCED.

LIKE, I *DANCED.*

like bouncing around and some flat out pogoing and shifting from one leg to the other and jumping on one leg! like, full on, jock punk aerobic dancercize. IT WAS AMAZING.

I haven't danced since before I hurt my ACL! practically ALL YEAR!

and now I'm clearly strong enough to ACTUALLY DANCE!

YAY!

so I'm counting the dancing as leg day. it had some jumping and lunging and squatting moves, and I did it for, 2 hours or something ridiculous. PLUS. plus plus plus. I paused at one point and thought to myself "I am a freakin' ATHLETE." I danced HARD to every single song and my heart was thumping and I was sweating and radiating heat and I felt really really good. cardiovascularly good, not just muscles and joints good.

HIGH FIVES FOR BEING A SUPER ATHLETIC JOCK LADYPUNKR DANCE MAVEN.

• Like 8