• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

karinajean

karinajean gives herself ALL THE PRESENTS

sooooo I did NOT do those exercises. my day was so flippin busy. seriously, M-W this week has been all about conference calls every freakin' 30 minutes.

BUT. I drove to nyc and met my husband and his band was playing, and it was fun, and then we stayed for the other bands and THEY WERE FREAKING AMAZING AND I LOVE THEM.

and! I DANCED.

LIKE, I *DANCED.*

like bouncing around and some flat out pogoing and shifting from one leg to the other and jumping on one leg! like, full on, jock punk aerobic dancercize. IT WAS AMAZING.

I haven't danced since before I hurt my ACL! practically ALL YEAR!

and now I'm clearly strong enough to ACTUALLY DANCE!

YAY!

so I'm counting the dancing as leg day. it had some jumping and lunging and squatting moves, and I did it for, 2 hours or something ridiculous. PLUS. plus plus plus. I paused at one point and thought to myself "I am a freakin' ATHLETE." I danced HARD to every single song and my heart was thumping and I was sweating and radiating heat and I felt really really good. cardiovascularly good, not just muscles and joints good.

HIGH FIVES FOR BEING A SUPER ATHLETIC JOCK LADYPUNKR DANCE MAVEN.

tumblr_m0h8l7MsWe1qh2o7zo1_500.gif

• Like 1

So today is another day in the oh heck I'm so tired files.

Legs day at the gym but by the time I got up and did all the stuff I should have done last night but was too tired to do (load of laundry, dishwasher, pack for gym, pack for holiday party tonight) I was already 40 min late.

Legs day tomorrow then. Sorry arms.

Sent from my iPhone while riding a unicorn through the cosmos.

Went to the gym this morning for legs and tried reducing the assist on the pull up assist machine. I kind of easily did 3 sets of 5 with only 70 lbs of assist! That's lifting approx 120 lbs of my bodyweight. I wonder if I'm a lot closer to a pull-up than I'd thought... Next time I'll drop the assist again and see what happens. Eeep! Excitement!

• Like 3

Whoof, I had a big day. Legs at the gym, and then over to the dojo for black belt class - it's the first Saturday of the month so all the black belts are supposed to train together (with our different styles). I got there, though, and not everyone remembered, so we had a good Kung fu kickboxing workout class - so more lunges and split squats plus push-ups and crunches. Then weapons class, and we did a sword form, 2 nunchuck forms, bo staff, and a sai form. After that was regular Tkd class and we used shinais to practice the sword form, adding in partner practice to really cement the moves of the form.

It was a super fun day but halfway through the last class my legs were seriously fatigued. Both of them, though, not just my surgery leg - which is a really good thing. All in all I was doing martial arts for about 3 hours.

I thought I'd managed my food pretty well - I had eggs at home, then a protein shake after the gym - but after I got home and showered I seriously bonked. Like, weeping because I couldn't find something. I had a pint of chocolate milk and that helped a lot, but I guess I need to remember better to eat right after exercise like that. I think I burned about 900 calories, and consumed 600, so there was definitely a deficit. And I am just plain tired, too - it was a long week, ending last night with me staying out late at my office party and getting up early in sat to fit in leg day.

My kitty is so sweet, for all that she's bitey and erratic - when she heard my crying she came and climbed up on my chest and purred at me. That was super nice.

• Like 3

I got tired reading that. That is a massive workout, I'm not surprised you bonked out after getting home. But, glad the chocolate milk helped.

And cats are great like that. They do know when you just need some cuddle time and can help.

• Like 1

Wow!  That is quite the workout, lady!  You rock!!!!!!

There's a Russian superstition that cats know when a human is sick or hurting, and will lie down in contact with what hurts (i.e. next to an injured limb or on top of your chest if you have a cold or whatever) and take your pain away.  I tend to believe this is more true than not. :love_heart:

• Like 1

I am starting to catch up on threads, and you have had so much happen! Great progress pics, awesome tkd forms and classes, and discovering how little assistance you need for pull-ups. Awesome! :)

• Like 1

As a n00b to taekwondo, I'm in awe of your martial arts posts. I want to get there some day! Soudns like you're uber busy... and killin' it anyway. I'ma subscribing :)

• Like 1

giphy.gif

High Fives all around Madam SUPER ATHLETIC JOCK LADYPUNKR DANCE MAVEN!

That's awesome :D  So super uber awesome :D  And the pullup progress!!!  Makes me wonder what you'd get if you tried doing a full one just for giggles right now.

That is one crazy day of Martial Arts.  But I find those days are always the best (when you have back to back classes).  I'm glad kitty and the chocolate milk helped after the bonking (... that doesn't sound right).  

• Like 1

LIKE, I *DANCED.*

HIGH FIVES FOR BEING A SUPER ATHLETIC JOCK LADYPUNKR DANCE MAVEN.

^^ This description wins the thread for me!    I think I adore you Karinajean! :)

tumblr_n00zug32HK1sjygc4o1_500.gif

I am so happy for you to have reached that milestone!    Super hugs.    And I appreciate that I've found some knee injury buddies that will help me keep my hope that things will get better, and that knees truly do take time.   Thank you, thank you, thank you for that.

I feel like you have been soaring on this challenge, and it's so awesome to watch!

• Like 1

ummm I have a lot that I mean to write out, like, recap week 4 (REALLY WEEK FOUR ALREADY OVER?!) etc. but I didn't get up for the gym today because I was TOO DARN TIRED so I have to go now. happily, though, I have a tiny moment of zen in my december and I have room to go to the gym tonight. happily.

• Like 1

sooooo it turns out that when you go to the gym at 6AM, you really DON'T encounter that person who sits on the leg press machine for 30+ minutes while instagramming.

that aside, leg day was awesome. I upped my running to 3 min warm up, run 2 min/walk 1 min for 4 repeats, and then a 3ish min. cool down. 17 minutes later I've gone about 1.4 miles. YAY.

I need to get up tomorrow for arms at the gym, too. winter weather in the forecast. I'm supposed to go kick off a test pit investigation at my big construction site on wednesday morning and I'm seriously crossing fingers and toes that the 2 inches of rain they get tomorrow down there will make the ground too soupy to actually start.

• Like 1

Yea for a tiny Zen moment in what sounds like a really rough week.

65256_560683367294961_978357297_n.jpg

Seriously ... hoping that things improve!!!!

I'm having a bad case of the oh-no-it's-december's, which are immediately following the the-only-thing-I-do-is-physical-therapies. this week is a little hairy with a meeting tomorrow, tkd later, and possibly 2 trips to my far away construction site, but we didn't have the kids tonight and I could stay at work late and then hit the gym with no missed obligations. so nice!

I got tired reading that. That is a massive workout, I'm not surprised you bonked out after getting home. But, glad the chocolate milk helped.

And cats are great like that. They do know when you just need some cuddle time and can help.

Wow!  That is quite the workout, lady!  You rock!!!!!!

There's a Russian superstition that cats know when a human is sick or hurting, and will lie down in contact with what hurts (i.e. next to an injured limb or on top of your chest if you have a cold or whatever) and take your pain away.  I tend to believe this is more true than not. :love_heart:

yes! the kitty is a sweetie. of course, she's spent the hour that I've been home tonight either trying to bite my hand off, racing around the house like a nut, or sitting on my lap totally sweetly.

I am starting to catch up on threads, and you have had so much happen! Great progress pics, awesome tkd forms and classes, and discovering how little assistance you need for pull-ups. Awesome! :)

it's been a really great couple of weeks, which I'm thankful for - my stats for week 4 are not so hot!

As a n00b to taekwondo, I'm in awe of your martial arts posts. I want to get there some day! Soudns like you're uber busy... and killin' it anyway. I'ma subscribing :)

YAY TAEKWONDO! so cool! when did you start/do you love it?

giphy.gif

High Fives all around Madam SUPER ATHLETIC JOCK LADYPUNKR DANCE MAVEN!

That's awesome :D  So super uber awesome :D  And the pullup progress!!!  Makes me wonder what you'd get if you tried doing a full one just for giggles right now.

That is one crazy day of Martial Arts.  But I find those days are always the best (when you have back to back classes).  I'm glad kitty and the chocolate milk helped after the bonking (... that doesn't sound right).  

I haven't gone over to the pull-up bar since, but I probably ought to, right...? tomorrow is arms day. I might just crank it down another plate and see how many I can do at the next level down.

Wow that's an impressive workout. Yay for chocolate milk. :) And pull-up progress!

it was a LOT of things. having that chocolate milk saved my life!

^^ This description wins the thread for me!    I think I adore you Karinajean! :)

tumblr_n00zug32HK1sjygc4o1_500.gif

I am so happy for you to have reached that milestone!    Super hugs.    And I appreciate that I've found some knee injury buddies that will help me keep my hope that things will get better, and that knees truly do take time.   Thank you, thank you, thank you for that.

I feel like you have been soaring on this challenge, and it's so awesome to watch!

oh, man, that is so super nice of you. thank you so much. it's been such a weird recovery with so many feels and challenges and I know that I really relied on the example of those who had similar injuries... so super glad it's working for you too.

Wow!  Quite an amazing few days!  I need a nap after catching up on the awesomeness!

I bet I wouldn't have been so weepy if I could have just SLEPT... I'm still kind of tired!

• Like 2

You're doing great with the running, the pull ups, and all of the other stuff!  Have you tried any pull up negatives?  You might be close to a point where you could mix some of those into your workout.  I always feel sorry for you tall people with the pull ups.  Longer levers = much more work to do the move.  

How is the weapons work going?  Have you learned how to do the release move type figure 8 spins with the chucks yet? (not sure what to call these - when you're spinning the chucks in a figure 8, release and flip them over the back of your hand).

• Like 1

For pull-ups the levers don't matter that much though since the center of mass is located more or less under the bar. But any horizontal movements or leg lift type things suck. Especially for pear shapes...

WEEK 4 RECAP
(remember grading = NOT SO HOT / GOOD / BETTER / BEST)

GOAL 1: MAKE A LIST / CHECK IT TWICE: write up a weekly exercise calender, track it here, and check off the boxes. bonus bump! do a bunch of extra exercises in a day, like, 100 sit-ups or something torturous.
I did NOT post my workout schedule. AND, I didn't get all the things done, and it wasn't thanksgiving week, so I'm calling it NOT SO HOT.
here we go: note 2x legs/PT, 1x dancing (legs equivalent), 1x arms. TKD 3x and weapons/boxing 1x each. but no toys.
a37b1ee6fab9fe6708d146292abb359d.jpg
GOAL 2: PLAY WITH ALL MY TOYS: make a special point to schedule in toy time and hit that goal.
NOPE. I really didn't do this at all except for a super intense weapons workout on Sat. I need to get back in the five minute habit! but again: NOT SO HOT.

GOAL 3: USE MY OWN DATA TOOLS / TAKE THAT UGLY SAD PANDAS: Continue to track calories every day AND ALSO stay under my calories goal for the week.. bonus bump! for tracking caffeine too, using the jawbone coffee app.

BWA HA HA HA HA HA HA
no really
BWA HA HA HA HA HA HA

loseit 120814

I had 2 holiday parties this week, and I totally blew it at both of them. I was SUPER OVER on my calories. I totally blew up my trend. NOT SO GREAT.

LIFE QUEST: NO REALLY BECOME THE NEON SIGN.
CROW POSTS
I think I did ok at this?
* I danced! yay! dancing!
* my martial arts thing was freakin' amazing! yay!
* AND ALSO I dropped 15 lbs off the assist machine for pull-ups! I am pulling 120 lbs of my own body! yay! only 70 left to go!

I'm calling this one a BEST. I had good crows and I noticed them. YAY.

OF GENERAL INTEREST:
weight trend:

120814trendweight

riiiight not so stable.
but of course, I am hoping that the huge jump at the end of the weekend was because of holiday party weekend.
I mean, I also can't be blind to the fact that I ate a boatload of extra calories this week and last week.
my loseit is set for a 500 calorie/day deficit, plus 75 extra calories so I can splash half and half into my coffee at will. that's supposed to add up to a 1 lb / week weight loss, you know - without any scientific evaluation of my actual real life to me TDEE or anything... but you know, some of that gain may be real, and not just salt bloat.

NEXT WEEK (week 5 how are we even there.)
here is my plan. YEAH it's tuesday. but my plan is up above. I had to write on 2 more toys, so imagine them on there.

FIRST! | WK 1 | WK 2 | WK 3 | WK 4 | WK 5 | WK 6

• Like 2

so karinajean, how is your week starting out?

well

You're doing great with the running, the pull ups, and all of the other stuff!  Have you tried any pull up negatives?  You might be close to a point where you could mix some of those into your workout.  I always feel sorry for you tall people with the pull ups.  Longer levers = much more work to do the move.  

How is the weapons work going?  Have you learned how to do the release move type figure 8 spins with the chucks yet? (not sure what to call these - when you're spinning the chucks in a figure 8, release and flip them over the back of your hand).

ZOMG weapons is so fun. there's a class on sat. that is pretty intermittent because the teacher travels for work during the week, but he's been there the last few weeks and we've done a bunch of stuff. HOWEVER, while he is a VERY precise person, the forms are being thrown at me kind of willy nilly so I am not retaining it as much as I would like to. my regular instructor has done step-by-step sword form breakdowns over the last week which have been AMAZING. sadly the ceiling in our (partly finished) attic isn't quite tall enough for me to practice up there.

the chucks thing you describe sounds amazing. I am still practicing the figure 8s, and switching directions of doing it? it's kind of like patting your head and rubbing your belly at the same time - though ironically I'm really good at doing THAT. I hit myself in the back of the head on sat. for the first time too, and while it hurt a little, mostly I was pretty worried someone saw it happen. so embarrassing!

when I'm doing the pull-up assist machine it's pretty much an assisted negative all the way down. I am probably at the point now where I could do a negative with out any assist, though, here at home. I should DEF. try to work that in every other day or so.

For pull-ups the levers don't matter that much though since the center of mass is located more or less under the bar. But any horizontal movements or leg lift type things suck. Especially for pear shapes...

PHEW.

kind of.

I am finding that dips are kind of sucky, but that might be just me. and my arm strength.

and I haven't done leg lifting really, though I think I need to start that a little for abs.

had to speed clean the house last night... we were long overdue, and the cleaners come today to hit the living room, dining room, kitchen, and bathrooms. (seriously, this saves us, every time. we have long days with lots of commuting and this is a nod to fixing the time problem and living like humans.)

HOWEVER when we finished up with the messes (SO MESSY) I started to feel super-exhausted and my face was weird and tingly. so in order to avoid THE HERP (aka a cold sore flare up) I called off gym for this morning and slept in until... wait for it... the LUXURIOUS hour of 6AM. SO LUXURIOUS.

it was totally the right thing to do, but I feel like a huge slacker for bagging the gym when I'm not sick already.

so that was legs day.

I can't go tonight, because Eleven has a band concert (there is a funny story all about that too*).

so today I am really truly going to go into the lounge to do some things. this is my menu of exercises:

* sun salutations

* bicycles

* planks

* squats

* back lunges or split squats

* that jumping/high knees thing for 2 minutes

* push-ups

at least I'll keep my leg limbered, even if there's no running or weight machines today.

I'm feeling super bloated this week, ever since I got home from our holiday party weekend. I think I ate something awful? maybe? it was the spinach dip possibly? so I'm drinking a lot of strong coffee this morning in attempt to move things along. *ahem.* I'm seeing a consistent increase on the scale too.

* funny story - the kids had a snow day yesterday b/c of ice, and during the morning I thought to myself: hey, it's weird that eleven hasn't said ANYTHING about his band concert - I'd better check the school's website and see when it was. AND IT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE YESTERDAY, but because of the snow day, it was postponed to TONIGHT. ZOMG ELEVEN WHAT THE HECK. so I let my husband know, who let all the grandparents and the boys' mom know, and we are all going to show up for the concert TONIGHT, thank goodness for that snow day. with my husband taking classes and working in nyc 2 hours away, their mom working over an hour away in NJ, and me working about an hour away in NJ - this kind of last minute thing can really break your week.

the funny part is that with a 3 parent family where you are the stepparent? it can sometimes be a secret negotiation on how much time you are spending making sure the kids are getting everything done. they're with us 1/2 time and their mom 1/2 time, and there has to be a lot of trust that the other household is keeping up on stuff, and often I will NOT helicopter in like I want to (I have strong helicopter parent tendencies) because I trust the boys' mom and dad to do the right thing too, even if it's not always done the exact way I would do it, and IN GENERAL it all works out just fine. I'm super glad I followed up on this one, though. SUPER glad.

• Like 3

Just caught up on all I missed.  So much going on!  Sitting here thinking about what to respond to, and my brain just keeps saying:

Moar pics of Murderclaws pls.

:D

• Like 1