• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

karinajean

karinajean gives herself ALL THE PRESENTS

Sounds like you're rocking the multitasking ability :]

Yeah! I love the taekwondo! I've been doing it one year. I missed a few gradings so I'm still a yellow belt. My favourite thing is sparring.

Just caught up on all I missed. So much going on! Sitting here thinking about what to respond to, and my brain just keeps saying:

Moar pics of Murderclaws pls.

:D

WELL IF YOU INSIST

Uh, hey kitters, are you allowed on the table?

a0bf4c124205948f684b9cca182a971e.jpg

15b0a704d6f827c3ecbff448819d32b5.jpg

4b487a2ab1ac9612425821d814eb0c5c.jpg

Photo shoot over!

25c7ad3f45938dc9b988dba22927773b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone while riding a unicorn through the cosmos.

• Like 6

Sounds like you're rocking the multitasking ability :]

Yeah! I love the taekwondo! I've been doing it one year. I missed a few gradings so I'm still a yellow belt. My favourite thing is sparring.

Actually I am all talk. :(. This morning I was ready to declare fitness bankruptcy! I haven't done any toys, I missed arms, I skipped legs... And my weight is up a little. Meh. I'm tired of working so hard. I'm just plain tired. AND. Xmas is in 2 weeks and I am NOT ready for it, and I ate a LOT of snacks at the construction site today.

But then I realized that the secret to fitness is never to let fitness bankruptcy stick. To tonight I'll go to bed early and hit the gym in the morning. At least I'm doing good w calories. Mostly.

AAAAH SO I will NOT declare fitness bankruptcy.

I WILL DECLARE WEEK FIVE BANKRUPTCY.

yeah dudes, so, I'm tired. so tired. and busy. so busy. and I am not doing a good job of accomplishing anything that I've scheduled in.

so instead of getting all hung up on things I did NOT accomplish, I am going to instead pat myself on the back for actually getting to the gym on monday, for actually having an amazing tkd class last night, and for actually having a super butt kicking sat. in the vein of last sat.

and week five, you are kind of dead to me. we are breaking up. I'll grade accordingly.

last night at tkd, though! it was awesome. we started with combos on the bag, and then she alternated between doing forms and checking stances and punch heights in a very precise way, and 30 sec free for alls on the bag. wherein you approach the heavy bag and have 30 seconds to beat the snot out of it (as one does). it was super good.

My food keeps being pretty good. I had a lot of sweet snacks yesterday but managed it all within budget. my weight dropped back down to about 190 on the scale this morning - I always wait for a 2nd measurement to believe it, though. but maybe that 4 lbs jump really WAS holiday party/travel food salt bloat.

crow for this: dudes, my tkd cardio conditioning is AMAZING. I am AMAZING at sustained high intensity activity for about 2 minutes. and I know this is because of my jumping/high knees 15 secs each for 2 minutes deal. of the people in class older than 11 years old, I was the only one who wasn't totally huffing and puffing. I'm really pleased with myself for that.

and another crow: even though I didn't get to the gym since monday, monday night at the gym was kind of a big deal. I HATE going to the gym in the evenings. I would MUCH rather stay late at work goofing off. it was huge that I made it there.

our 15 year old is a fierce and super strong fighter, btw. he wanted to quit tkd a while ago but we pushed him to stay in, and he's getting the kind of feedback that I think really helps out from our instructor right now - aka, praise. she told me a few weeks ago that once he learned to get out of the way of his own body he'd be amazing and he is THERE. he's super quick, too. the only thing he needs to work on is that cardio conditioning -- he gets out of breath super fast. I'm going to start to drop some hints in the form of talking about how great it is that my HIIT jumping crap helps me keep my breath. I think he could totally beat me in a fight - for all that I'm a 3rd degree black belt! he's super fast and strong and moves very quickly around the floor. but i know if I could stay out of his way for 5 minutes, he would pass out, and I would win. (a lot of ifs can happen in that 5 minutes. plus, we never fight in class for that long.)

today I'm planning more eating healthy

tomorrow is gym for arms and legs, then over to the dojo (hopefully!) for boxing and weapons and tkd class.

then eleven has his tap dance recital at 2ish.

big long day. it'll be fun.

• Like 4

Actually I am all talk. :(. This morning I was ready to declare fitness bankruptcy! I haven't done any toys, I missed arms, I skipped legs... And my weight is up a little. Meh. I'm tired of working so hard. I'm just plain tired. AND. Xmas is in 2 weeks and I am NOT ready for it, and I ate a LOT of snacks at the construction site today.

I think you're at one of the harder points in the rehab, for what it's worth.  You've had to work so hard for so long that you've built up a lot of momentum, but after a point, the tank is just empty and you're just burned out.  Then, on top of that, you're finally able to do some of the things you love (like TKD), which makes the PT and gym stuff feel like even more of a burden.  It's kind of like you have to choose between doing everything and being totally burned out and overextended, skipping the things you enjoy and feeling resentful as a result, or skipping the PT/gym stuff and feeling guilty and like a failure.  It's really really tough.  

I really think it might help you to come up with a mini strength program that you can squeeze in at the end of TKD or whenever they're doing something that your knee won't permit you to do.   Maybe a small program of whatever number of squats, lunges, jumps, push ups, and whatever ab thing.  And then you need to convince yourself that you don't need to feel guilty about the PT, because the TKD + mini program is plenty.  

For the week of Xmas, maybe you should just give yourself a little break and only do the fun fitness stuff.  1 week off won't really set back your rehab, and it may do a lot of good in helping you recharge your batteries, both mentally and physically.

• Like 3

Bad weeks happen - but as they say, fall down seven times, stand up eight.  You're really doing great!!!!

I love all the insight about the kids, by the way.  Have an awesome Saturday!!!

• Like 1

I think you're at one of the harder points in the rehab, for what it's worth. You've had to work so hard for so long that you've built up a lot of momentum, but after a point, the tank is just empty and you're just burned out. Then, on top of that, you're finally able to do some of the things you love (like TKD), which makes the PT and gym stuff feel like even more of a burden. It's kind of like you have to choose between doing everything and being totally burned out and overextended, skipping the things you enjoy and feeling resentful as a result, or skipping the PT/gym stuff and feeling guilty and like a failure. It's really really tough.

I really think it might help you to come up with a mini strength program that you can squeeze in at the end of TKD or whenever they're doing something that your knee won't permit you to do. Maybe a small program of whatever number of squats, lunges, jumps, push ups, and whatever ab thing. And then you need to convince yourself that you don't need to feel guilty about the PT, because the TKD + mini program is plenty.

For the week of Xmas, maybe you should just give yourself a little break and only do the fun fitness stuff. 1 week off won't really set back your rehab, and it may do a lot of good in helping you recharge your batteries, both mentally and physically.

Yes, so much yes.

I definitely need to figure out how to balance the functional strength, a more formal weights situation, and running.

I think if I do running alternating with a full body weight routine it should be about 45 min each day-and I think that includes the squats/lunges/etc on weights day.

The one week thing is so true! I was feeling super bummed this morning about week 5, and how I've squandered my momentum. But I went to the bathroom and saw myself in the full length mirror and felt a lot better. Holiday parties + week five haven't ruined anything. I am doing great.

e9d6c9f066a9957b221ed84628b3b6e8.jpg

465972a6c227a1c30295cbe03d6cf36d.jpg

(Accidental duck face)

Bad weeks happen - but as they say, fall down seven times, stand up eight. You're really doing great!!!!

I love all the insight about the kids, by the way. Have an awesome Saturday!!!

I will for sure start to stand up tomorrow! I thought I could do it today, but: nope.

Thanks re: the kids. Being a stepparent is a kind of crazy thought experiment sometimes - but at the end of the day these weird little guys are my fun little family.

• Like 3

the chair always makes me laugh. NO ONE sits in it. I imagine that it's a hold out from the old fashioned fainting couch.

Having something to faint on, actually sound like a good idea. Though a better use would be for laying on the ground with legs propped up on it to increase blood flow back toward the brain.

• Like 1

Saturday is the best. I went to the gym and ran, then did legs and arm weights. I skipped the calisthenics portion of PT because I knew we had boxing class - which included 50 in-place lunges and some footwork. I'm super proud of the bicycles. I think we did a count of 100? I lost track and he was counting in 10s. But the whole time I did an honest abs-driven shoulders-off-mat lift. So great!

And I know the HRM is feeding me calories used via an algorithm, and it's not necessarily super accurate, but it's got me at burning over 700 calories btwn the boxing and weapons class!

786d5a283fe38bdb4a33565af2c5486a.jpg

• Like 1

Based on what I burn playing hockey, or when I was doing boxing over the summer, 700 does not seem unfathomable.     In an hour slot of hockey, where we play 3, 12 minute periods, and I alternate between HR's above 180 for 30-60" and then rest for 1-2 minutes, I tally up between 500-700 calories in that time frame.   Boxing always netted me about 600ish in an hour.

Glad you are getting some info out of your new gadget! :)     I am really tempted to get the new Fitbit ChargeHR maybe--- it's supposed to track your heart rate 24/7 to give you a really good generalized picture of your daily caloric burn.   

Looking good Karinajean!   Looking good!

• Like 1

You're not alone.  Except for 2 days, I haven't done proper physio in 2 weeks.  Nor have I counted anything or paid the slightest attention to what I was putting in my face.  Sometimes life.

But, both you and karinajean are about 6 months out from surgery, right?  I know we've all received different PT protocols, so maybe that's why things are so different.  6 months was the point where I was pretty much allowed to ease into normal sports.  PT at that point was more of a supplemental thing to address any remaining weaknesses, and it was mostly things everyone should be doing anyway.  My graduation-from-PT home program sheet wanted 3x/week of 1 and 2 leg jumping, squats, lunges, stretches, agility drills and some other stuff.  It's pretty easy at that point to kind of roll it into whatever you're normally doing, anyway.  I'd guess for KJ, the agility drills are pretty much handled with TKD footwork.  Some of the squatting and lunging stuff is more or less handled also from low stances.  I'm sure the ROM stuff and stretching is effectively handled in a normal class.  And jumping, too.  So, all that's left is a little jogging and maybe some very direct effort for squats and lunges.  Maybe I had the wrong attitude toward everything, but I kind of figured that yoga would give me the balance work and stretches.  Climbing + yoga would give me a lot of the leg muscle building (effectively filing in for squats and lunges).  So, I just needed to work in some jogging, jumping, and some weighted squats and such a couple times/week.  It was a lot easier to handle that than to saddle myself with an extra hour long workout 3 days/week.  

But, for what it's worth, your muscles are strong enough that a week or two off really isn't going to hurt your recovery, unless you end up making a habit of never doing the squats, lunges, etc.  It's such a tough time of year, since so many life obligations get in the way of everything else.  

• Like 1

Based on what I burn playing hockey, or when I was doing boxing over the summer, 700 does not seem unfathomable.     In an hour slot of hockey, where we play 3, 12 minute periods, and I alternate between HR's above 180 for 30-60" and then rest for 1-2 minutes, I tally up between 500-700 calories in that time frame.   Boxing always netted me about 600ish in an hour.

Glad you are getting some info out of your new gadget! :)     I am really tempted to get the new Fitbit ChargeHR maybe--- it's supposed to track your heart rate 24/7 to give you a really good generalized picture of your daily caloric burn.   

Looking good Karinajean!   Looking good!

I am waiting for the new jawbone w. HR monitor dealio to come out so I can see what people think of it - there's SO MANY new activity trackers plus HRMs coming out!

You're not alone.  Except for 2 days, I haven't done proper physio in 2 weeks.  Nor have I counted anything or paid the slightest attention to what I was putting in my face.  Sometimes life.

OH LIFE.

yeah.

But, both you and karinajean are about 6 months out from surgery, right?  I know we've all received different PT protocols, so maybe that's why things are so different.  6 months was the point where I was pretty much allowed to ease into normal sports.  PT at that point was more of a supplemental thing to address any remaining weaknesses, and it was mostly things everyone should be doing anyway.  My graduation-from-PT home program sheet wanted 3x/week of 1 and 2 leg jumping, squats, lunges, stretches, agility drills and some other stuff.  It's pretty easy at that point to kind of roll it into whatever you're normally doing, anyway.  I'd guess for KJ, the agility drills are pretty much handled with TKD footwork.  Some of the squatting and lunging stuff is more or less handled also from low stances.  I'm sure the ROM stuff and stretching is effectively handled in a normal class.  And jumping, too.  So, all that's left is a little jogging and maybe some very direct effort for squats and lunges.  Maybe I had the wrong attitude toward everything, but I kind of figured that yoga would give me the balance work and stretches.  Climbing + yoga would give me a lot of the leg muscle building (effectively filing in for squats and lunges).  So, I just needed to work in some jogging, jumping, and some weighted squats and such a couple times/week.  It was a lot easier to handle that than to saddle myself with an extra hour long workout 3 days/week.  

But, for what it's worth, your muscles are strong enough that a week or two off really isn't going to hurt your recovery, unless you end up making a habit of never doing the squats, lunges, etc.  It's such a tough time of year, since so many life obligations get in the way of everything else.  

My PT didn't really have a lot of protocols....? like, I never did any balancing activities, which I thought was weird. but when I got to TKD I am clearly better at standing on one leg than many of the otehr students so i guess it sort of fixed itself. but I think part of my concerns are that I never had a clear program to follow - I just did what he said, and did it as hard as a I could, and it pretty much worked out - so now that I'm "out" I don't have a lot of reliance on protocols to support me or even give me the confidence that I'm "DOING IT RIGHT." I'm working it out, and I so much appreciate Nym's insights on different ways to structure my path forward. it's super helpful. but I hate feeling like I'm dropping exercises because I can't fit them in (even though that's exactly why I'm dropping them, sheesh).

I have an appt this week with my knee surgeon but I don't expect a lot of conversation about what I should and should not do from this guy - he's very "whatever you want" after the first 3 months.

one thing though - I think I should keep doing extra leg work until BOTH legs are equally sore after a big exercise day. And I know I'm really pushing my surgical leg at TKD - it feels more sore the day after a big class than it ever did after physical therapy. so as much as I feel left out of the bosu ball and balance exercises, I do think I'm getting a full rehab just because I'm stubborn and am doing all my stuff again.

next challenge I think I'll structure it so I can hit 2 days a week / weights in the gym - both arms and legs on the same day, and then 3 days a week running - likely the couch to 5K program. If I can do squats and lunges and jumping at the gym after weights, that's awesome, and if I can't that is something I can fit in after tkd, as Nymeria has recommended, or even in the office if I have to.

I need to post my WEEK 5 WE BROKE UP AND THIS IS WHY recap.

but just wanted to say that today I ate too many sugar cookies.

it's cookie season in the office.

hopefully (?) I won't overdo it again. sigh!

I love C25K. I've never been a runner, ever, and it made me one. It's hard, but it's totally worth it. Running for me is kind of like you said your bicycles were - I can just do it, do it properly, and it feels amazing. There is nothing better than effortless motion where you struggled before. I dropped a pill on the floor this weekend, and went to lower myself down to find it... and I kind of went into a plank, and felt STRONG. I lowered myself down just for funsies, found the pill, and got up without so much as a huff. I used to struggle so much to get on and off the floor. It felt amazing.

Finding things that I can easily work in has been a life saver for me. Even having my hoop at home for some extra cardio when needed is a huge help.

• Like 1

I love C25K too! It'll be my 5th or so time doing it - with my other ACL I used it to finish up rehab too. I love how it builds confidence while it's building muscles and endurance.

This week, wow. Such cookies. So potluck. Wow.

My tiny victory today was not going directly to the office break room for a cookie this morning.

I haven't gone to the gym at all this week. I have been working late every night and prioritizing sleep over gym. It is what it is, but I super miss it, and am feeling very restless - be it from no gym or from work stress, not sure.

Tkd on sat and yesterday has really emphasized to me that I need to focus on forms a little more. They're sloppy again, after having worked so hard to learn and tweak them last spring.

And today is my final surgical check up! I hit 6 months post-surgery 1 1/2 weeks ago. Yay.

Yay on 6 months post!   And congrats on how far you've come in your rehab.    You continue to be a source of inspiration and hope for me.   And also a nice shoulder to lean on when I suddenly get spooked or worried about knee-fu.   LOL.

I've been so bad lately with my lack of ... um, everything.   And when I read your posts, they always make me want to change that.   Ok, ok, so I've not quite gotten from the 'want to' to 'doing' part of it yet, but without your posts I'd be all la la la, what's PT, la la? 

Keep being a positive role model for me eh?  Some day I will return the favor!  hehehe

• Like 1

Yay on the 6 months! You have come so far in that time.

I say sleeping is more important than the gym right now. What's the point of going to the gym when you are so exhausted you are doing everything half-assed?

• Like 2

aw Starpuck! thanks so much. I needed to hear that, because my drs visit was profoundly disappointing.

basically my knee is great - stability is awesome, etc. graft seems to be holding up really super.

he was excited about my PT kicking me out and told me not to take it personally.

that's good! it started out good.

but when he asked me what kind of exercises I was doing on my own (after I told him the knee got sore and that's how I knew I needed to keep working at it) he was ok with the running and weights... and then said to stop squats and lunges.

what!

they don't hurt!

but he said: your leg is getting SORE. that's patellar pain.

I said I'd sort of assumed there were a lot of muscle connections around the knee - you know, like the ankle? and they might get sore when you're using them! and he kind of smiled and kept talking about things I shouldn't do.

WHAT.

he didn't ask me for range of motion, weights, measurements of muscle size, anything. he just did that wiggle the knee thing and told me things I didn't want to hear. which makes it super hard for me to even believe him.

basically, after the last 6 months of hard work, rearranging my life, prioritizing this over nearly everything else, I needed the doctor to tell me: GOOD JOB. you've been doing great. KEEP IT UP. you will be able to do ALL THE THINGS.

instead he kind of said: stop some of the things.

and he skittered out the door.

I know I joke a lot about how my surgeon is a REAL SURGEON, like, very bad at talking to people, not interested in conversation, etc.

but man, I was so disappointed after that doctors appointment.

I want someone to bake me a knee shaped cake. This is such a let down.

and I HATE that such an awesome milestone - 6 months after surgery! - culminated in a doctors visit that pretty much saw me in frustrated tears as I drove back to work.

I talked to my husband about it, and he did some armchair doctor research and suggested I look at IT band and pateller exercises, and IT stuff is treated by massage, so I'm going to schedule weekly massages for the next few months.

at very least I'll feel better about SOMETHING.

plus my FSA has a lot of money left in it from 2014, and I have a grace period through 3/15/15 to use it up, and massages are reimbursable.