• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

raptron

Raptron Knees Weaknesses in the Junk

There were at least three days of nerds to feed, so many things were made! 

Spartan pictures are starting to go up and I've recently been bit by the "oh, there's a camera? let's do a handstand!" bug, which is definitely a real thing, I swear:

768e983c9468884e155ca78b057fc7c1.png

Also bonus personal mini-challenge for this week: cook up/eat all the veg in the fridge right now to make room for Thanksgiving shopping and the extra large box of vegetables we're getting. We've got collards, beets, parsnips, red cabbage, carrots, kale, and celeriac at the VERY LEAST that I will be trying to mow through before Friday. Reward for completing this challenge: not pulling my hair out trying to Tetris all the food I plan to buy in the refrigerator.

• Like 1

Also I stepped in and taught beginner class again today without ANYONE running away! And I had about 12-14 students who mostly seemed to have a pretty good time and I don't think I slave drove them too hard. There were smiles even! I hope it went well for them. :)

I want to do raptron beginner gymnastics class! I need job.

And heyyyy owner of the best post-sandbag straddle jump in Spartan history!

Yaaa! You should definitely come the next time I sub. I make everyone do animal walks for warm-up passes. :)

Day 2.1

Much needed general rest day. Went to bed early. Did not foam roll and, for some reason, ate an entire cup of toasted coconut (I suspect the reason is that it was delicious). 

Lungs: 0 / 3

Mobility: --

Fuel: 0 / 1

Day 2.2

Still exhausted. It took me most of the day just to wake up and I couldn't shake the feeling of lingering fatigue. A lot of people around me from the weekend are coming down with colds, so I'm hoping the fatigue is just because my body is working hard to fight things off. I still went to the gym, made some birthday muffins for a friend, and scarfed down a few chicken wings.

The gym was... not good. 

Warm-up row 500m 

OHP

5 x 45#

5 x 45#

3 x 55#

5 x 65#

3 x 75#

x 85# <-- was supposed to be today's 1+ reps, did not pass GO, did not collect $200

3 x 75#

5 x 65#

Deadlifts

5 x 95#

5 x 115#

3 x 135#

5 x 170#

3 x 195#

F x 215# <-- got to about mid-shin and stalled out. I'm annoyed because I generally don't have a problem if I can get it off the ground, but I just got stuck. I thought I would be able to reset and get it easily, but I think I was in my own head on the second go at it and it just didn't budge. I really need to film a form check on my deadlifts.

3 x 205# <-- consolation lifts of sadness

From there, I went accessory heavy while waiting for yoga to start at 7:30.

3 sets of:

10 shoulder shockers -- 25lb plate for raises and 10lb DBs for lateral raises and clean and presses

20 leg lifts and 10 wipers, each side

3 sets of:

10 hanging straddle leg lifts

7 dips

3 sets of:

5 romanian deadlift w/ 135#

10 one leg KB deadlifts, each leg with the 70# kb

Then yoga for 1 hour, with a big focus on twists, lunges, and hip openers. LOTS of balance during this class with the various lunge poses, tree pose, etc. Good stuff.

Lungs: 0 / 3 HIIT sessions

Mobility: 0 / 3 foam roll, 1/1 yoga

Fuel: 1 / 2

Day 1.3

20 degrees this morning? Can't stop us from doing STAIRS this morning for RisenPhoenix's birthday, of course. Three weeks in a row? What the hell am I doing with myself!? Today, in a trend with last night, was a slog. I did half the prescribed workout (20 sections out of 40), found our birthday boy and ran 4 more sections with him for a total of 24, I guess. I also fell AGAIN because my joints felt super stiff and horrible and I was trying to sprint when my legs were already too far gone. Luckily still avoided the knees and didn't even bang the same place on my shin, so my previous bruise/scape has a new buddy. My legs look like a mottled watercolor of green, brown, blue, and purple at this point between the stupid Spartan bruises and my graceful efforts at stairs.

Lungs: 1/3

Mobility: 1/3, 1/1 yoga

Fuel: 2/3

Sounds like maybe a rest day (or a few) might be in order? If you're a bit beaten up AND trying to fight off some late fall crud bug, it could be the better part of valor to do a bit of recovering to prevent some bigger yuckiness down the road.

I did take Sunday and Monday off completely, so I feel like that is already more rest than I usually get in a week? Tonight is just a dinner with friends and going to bed early. I really don't want to skip gymnastics tomorrow or Saturday, but if I'm still crazy tired tomorrow, I'll definitely consider skipping practice. :/

Dayum girl you've been doing so much!  You definitely deserve a rest... especially if your body is telling you you need it (which it sounds like it is).

Yay, glad you enjoyed the Spartan Race. Did they have someone dressed up like a Greek warrior embarrassing himself at the start? That was the lamest part of ours, the rest was great. And you had knots in the rope? We just had slippery mud all over it lol... And the spear throw? Seems that hardly anyone ever manages that!

I personally saw no strange warriors, haha. Though, there were a solid number of bold participants going shirtless despite the 35 degree weather. I'm told that previously the ropes had no knots for men and knots for women, but this year it was erratically spaced knots for all, which I ultimately think might have screwed some people over more than a knotless rope, but c'est la vie. 

Have way, way more energy today, so I am definitely going to go to gymnastics. I've got to get a new floor routine together -- ideally before December 6th, which is going to be a routine run-through practice for everyone to practice their floor and beam routines in front of each other. WHERE HAS ALL THE TIME GONE?

• Like 1

I really, really want to get a double salto pass in my routine this year so that I don't get the automatic 0.5 point deduction for not meeting all of the requirements. I've gotten a lot closer to learning my whip back and think it would probably be more reliable than depending on a front handspring + front tuck + front tuck, but I'll have to see how it goes. 

Ideally:

Round off + whip back + back handspring + back tuck

Front handspring + front tuck

Front pike (or front handspring + front pike)

I think if I can actually manage the whip back pass, I can drop the middle tumbling pass and just run with two, which would be kind of neat and let me have more energy for tricky jump combos for bonus points. 

:)

• Like 1

Oooh a whip back/back tuck would be awesome!  It sounded in earlier posts like you are making a lot of progress on those whip backs so I'm sure you can get it :)

It's been great seeing you 3 weeks in a row at the Stadium.  I think you should keep coming simply so we can keep hugging it out.

It's a good reason to come! Also, next week is tagging day right...? I still need to get my #grassrootsgear on.  

Oooh a whip back/back tuck would be awesome!  It sounded in earlier posts like you are making a lot of progress on those whip backs so I'm sure you can get it :)

I hope sooooo! We'll see how they go tonight. They're super easy on the tumble track but I'm just laying them out when I do them on the tumble strip onto to the resi mat, so I'll keep on workin it. :)

• Like 1

Round off + whip back + back handspring + back tuck

That sounds awesome, but how would you even fit that onto the diagonal? I'm sure even if I could complete the tumbling routine I'd land the tuck back out in the audience...

Ooo! Another competition!! Exciting!!!!

Yep! It's almost time again! I am kind of disappointed in myself in terms of how much I was able to learn/improve over the past off-season, but I don't know. If I get this whip-back, then at the very least my floor start value will be higher.

That sounds awesome, but how would you even fit that onto the diagonal? I'm sure even if I could complete the tumbling routine I'd land the tuck back out in the audience...

It's only a few steps into the tumbling! Easy to fit lots of stuff on the diagonal. How about something like this instead? ;)

I'm not 5' but still!

Congrats on kicking so much butt at the Spartan!  I love the one armed handstand picture!

Thanks! I seriously have inversion addition lately. 

Sooo, I was a lump the past few days. Not a COMPLETE lump because I still went to practice on Thursday and Saturday, but a lump none the less. I skipped my bench 1+ AND my squat 1+ workout. I did not clean the house despite the fact that my mother-in-law is coming in TONIGHT. I did not prepare my pie crusts, make my chicken stock, or bake my cornbread for stuffing. I did not do laundry, nor did I prepare food for the days before Thanksgiving. I did not clean out my closet. I did not eat my delicious, veggie-filled beet soup. 

All of these things were things I planned to do this weekend. 

What I actually did: eat fried chicken and most of a box of Honey Nut Cheerios, bomb spectacularly at Christmas shopping at a craft fair, and play Warlords of Draenor. Okay, to be fair to myself, I also cleaned out the fridge (marginally) and did our Thanksgiving grocery shopping, but jeez. 

I just froze this weekend. I knew I had all sorts of things to do, but I protested and stood in the kitchen eating bowlfuls of Cheerios instead or tunnel-visioned on a video game so I wouldn't have to deal with the reality of my chores. Even my workouts, which I LOVE -- especially squat day -- got lumped into my mental understanding of "adulting" so I just avoided them completely, much to my chagrin because a) I'm donating blood tomorrow and b )Thanksgiving gym hours are weird, and c) this week was scheduled to be a deload, but I'll now probably just have to deload DL and OHP and do my prescribed workouts for squat and bench because ugh.

Basically, I am annoyed at myself for acting like a child. I can think of a lot of things that exacerbated my behavior, but really... I just shrank and hid instead of dealing with the tasks I had set out for MYSELF. Boooo, self. 

But, I say while taking a deep breath, I think everything's going to be fine anyway. My mother-in-law seems like she would be pretty understanding of a messy house (god, I hope) and I have plenty of time and help to get ready for Thanksgiving. Instead of punishing myself for being a baby this weekend, I am going to proceed with everything as scheduled: gymnastics practice tonight, blood donation tomorrow, NP and/or gym on Wednesday with my deload OHP + deadlifts and light squats. I'll see how everything feels post-blood donatiojn before determining the rest of the week's course, but it's FINE. WE ARE FINE.

Also in better news, I threw whip backs on the floor for the first time on Saturday. They need a LOT of work before I'll be able to tumble out of them and are ranging from WAY too high to low and slow rather than whippy and fast, but we're making progress. Also, I did two run-throughs of last year's floor routine, which is horrible and I'm glad I'm getting rid of it because I barely choreographed anything anyway and just look like a buffoon. This week and next, I'll be focusing on piecing together my floor choreography, determining my jumps/leaps, and trying to get it ready for the first Sat. in December (about two weeks) for our casual in-house routine exhibition. 

Week 2 Summary

HIIT: 2/3

Mobility: Foam roll 3/3, yoga 1/1

Fuel: 2/7 compliant days, 0/1 for week

Style: 0/1 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Like 3

Wow the second pass in the Dominique Dawes routine just blew my mind.  With a front tuck right out of it ahhhh.

It's starting to get all dark and wintery icky out, it's hard to adult in that sort of light/weather conditions.  I know I have a hard time. All you can do is push forward and not look back.  It's over, don't be upset about the past at this point.  You've got plent of time to catch up :)

And yayyyy whip backs!

that sounds like my weekend! ugh. adulting. also did you go to the BUST craft fair?? my friend tried to go, got frustrated with the traffic, and went to gaslight for brunch instead lol

Yeah, I did! It was REALLY underwhelming, so brunch at Gaslight was probably a way better choice. I felt like half the vendors were offering the same things and no one had the right kind of funky -- while they were able to get a decent amount of vendors in there, considering the size of the space, I thought it would have been a bigger, more diverse set of things to choose from. Apparently they had a temporary cat cafe set up as well, which meant the crowds/lines were just insane, so that might have also colored my experience.