The Courtyard (Monk's General Chat Thread)

RisenPhoenix

We're definitely all mad around here.  

So I'm debating on whether or not to even participate in this challenge.  The goals I've written up for myself are easily the hardest goals I've ever set forth, and only one is even fitness related!  Not to mention I'm feeling a little burned out right now, and on top of that I'm going on a trip next week for the entire first week of the challenge.  

I know on the one hand I'm just making excuses, especially since the goals I set are going to be my next challenge no matter when I do it, but I still kinda feel like I need a break too.  

I was considering not doing this challenge too since my last few challenges go downhill fast near the fourth week but I look at it this way, anything that moves me closer to my goals is better than not doing it. This concept of public accountability really helps me at those times when I feel like giving up. 

• Like 3

Doug

In search of the ever elusive side thrust kick....

Student of Karate and Iaido

Hey, Oramac -- in my first challenge, my goals were all about *recovery* and sleeping.  It needed to happen, but I couldn't make myself do it unless I thought there was some way to frame sleeping as WINNING.  I'm not saying you aren't allowed to be all badass, but it's legit to create a challenge that's all about inner work if that's what you need. 

• Like 3

Hello Mad Monks  :playful:

This is my first challenge and SevenFootGeek said I could come along and say hi. I'm doing Ju-Jutsu for a couple of years now, but I'm lacking fitness. 

My main goal is more energy (for my life in general). My main fitness goal to get there, is to do 10 pushups in good form at the end of this challenge. I'm starting out is one that I can do by now.

I'm excited to do this challenge and I hope you can help me to push through it.

And btw I'm a girl. 

• Like 1

Airbender Level 2

Str 1 | Dex 0 | Sta 3 | Con 2 | Wis 2 | Cha 0

Current challenge: viki's high-wire act/     Old challenge: #1

Morning routine (34 / 42 days):

80.95%
80.95%

Learning progress (30 / 45 sections):
66.66%
66.66%

Yoga (4 / 18 sessions):
22.22%
22.22%

HUMANS NEED FANTASY TO BE HUMAN. TO BE THE PLACE WHERE THE FALLING ANGEL MEETS THE RISING APE.

Death, Hogfather

We're definitely all mad around here.  

So I'm debating on whether or not to even participate in this challenge.  The goals I've written up for myself are easily the hardest goals I've ever set forth, and only one is even fitness related!  Not to mention I'm feeling a little burned out right now, and on top of that I'm going on a trip next week for the entire first week of the challenge.  

I know on the one hand I'm just making excuses, especially since the goals I set are going to be my next challenge no matter when I do it, but I still kinda feel like I need a break too.  

I was considering not doing this challenge too since my last few challenges go downhill fast near the fourth week but I look at it this way, anything that moves me closer to my goals is better than not doing it. This concept of public accountability really helps me at those times when I feel like giving up. 

Hey Hey Hey Hey now! You two. STOP.

Shut up and sit down.

*ahem*

Shotokan: First, most people tend to fall off during the 4th week. That's hump week. (What? It's a thing....>.>)  It's normal. That's when you're trying to build a habit. Sometimes life get's in the way and that's ok. But 4 weeks of awesome can make up for a little slack in the end. And we'll be here to support you anyway.

Second: I'm the QUEEN of bailing on the last part of a challenge. I haven't even done my last wrap up yet!!  I still had a couple of awesome weeks in there, had fun shenaniganing with you guys (what? It's a word......  >.>), and I learned some stuff about myself. That's still moving forward.

And Oramac:  Not fitness related?!?!?! NOT FITNESS RELATED??!?!!? SO???????  Who cares?? You are trying to level up your LIFE here. Most of us have fitness/weight loss goals, but that isn't what makes or breaks a challenge. A challenge is trying to make yourself a better person by giving yourself goals and motivation to take the next step in your life! I love to hear about workouts, but I want to hear about other awesome things going on in your life too! We all have had work related goals, school goals and relationship goals. If that is your priority this challenge then make it about that! Bring on the hard stuff! (Also, I'm the QUEEN of starting my challenges late. Make it a 5 weeker if you have to.)

Now both of you stop whining, go to the New Topic button and write your Half Challenges!!

*storms off*

• Like 4

Hi guys, SevenFootGeek also told me to drop by and say hello :) (apparently he is the newbie welcomer?) I'm hanging out in the Level 1 rebels area this challenge. 

I'm a very multi-tasky monk, with toes in karate (ShitÅ-ryÅ«), kickboxing, muay thai, teeny bits of jujitsu and my most recent endeavor, wing chun.

I started the wing chun a month ago (was looking for something new/less impact-full than muay thai to heal some injuries) and it seems pretty sweet so far. 

• Like 3

Level 0 Human Monk-Apprentice

STR 0|DEX 0|STA 0|CON 0|WIS 0|CHA 0

My Current Challenge

Hello Mad Monks  :playful:

This is my first challenge and SevenFootGeek said I could come along and say hi. I'm doing Ju-Jutsu for a couple of years now, but I'm lacking fitness. 

My main goal is more energy (for my life in general). My main fitness goal to get there, is to do 10 pushups in good form at the end of this challenge. I'm starting out is one that I can do by now.

I'm excited to do this challenge and I hope you can help me to push through it.

And btw I'm a girl. 

Welcome, viki!

Nice goals!  any plans on how you're going to tackle them?

Hi guys, SevenFootGeek also told me to drop by and say hello :) (apparently he is the newbie welcomer?) I'm hanging out in the Level 1 rebels area this challenge. 

I'm a very multi-tasky monk, with toes in karate (Shitō-ryū), kickboxing, muay thai, teeny bits of jujitsu and my most recent endeavor, wing chun.

I started the wing chun a month ago (was looking for something new/less impact-full than muay thai to heal some injuries) and it seems pretty sweet so far. 

Welcome!  He does make a very good newbie welcomer, doesn't he?

That's a lot of martial arts!  You should check out Spider-Dan.  He does ALL THE THINGS as well.  And let me know how the wing chun is - I don't have any free time but I've been interested in that.

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

YOU'RE NOT MY DAD! I'M GOING TO RUN AWAY AND JOIN THE CIRCUS!

You did already. The circus' name is NF.

• Like 4

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

Haha!  Cheechoe you make me laugh.  I love reading your posts.  Even the ones that yell at me (yes, at me).  I may just take you up on the ill-advised but possibly necessary 5-week challenge thing.  I've still got 2 days to mull it over!  

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

New monks are always welcome :) 

I'm a very multi-tasky monk, with toes in karate (ShitÅ-ryÅ«), kickboxing, muay thai, teeny bits of jujitsu and my most recent endeavor, wing chun.

Another Shito-ryu person! so now we are what... 3?

Now both of you stop whining, go to the New Topic button and write your Half Challenges!!

Indirect effect: I put down my challenge too, even if there is nothing fitness related and I will probably give up half way (again) :)

• Like 2

Tkal, level 8 Dwarf assassin playing with the monks

STR 13.5 | DEX 19.25 | STA 16 | CON 18.75 | WIS 18 | CHA 14.5

My walls (aka: random log) | Intro | Challenge 1 with tracker | Aborted Challenge 2 | "Real" challenge 2 | Challenge 3
Challenge 4 | (never started)Challenge 5 | (super short) Challenge 5 | (third is a charm) Challenge 5 | Challenge 6
Challenge 7 | Challenge 8

"Patience you must learn"

YOU'RE NOT MY MOM!  YOU CAN'T TELL ME WHAT TO DO!

DON'T MAKE ME COME UP THERE!!!

Haha!  Cheechoe you make me laugh.  I love reading your posts.  Even the ones that yell at me (yes, at me).  I may just take you up on the ill-advised but possibly necessary 5-week challenge thing.  I've still got 2 days to mull it over!  

:D

S'OK. I yell at everyone. or just yell. As Thrillho likes to point out EVERY CHALLENGE!!!

But YAY Oramac for a 5 weeker!! WOOT!

Sidebar: Newbies! Don't let my hyper yelling scare you. It's an unfortunate part of the Courtyard. It just is.

Indirect effect: I put down my challenge too, even if there is nothing fitness related and I will probably give up half way (again) :)

DOUBLE WOOT!!

• Like 1

Welcome, viki!

Nice goals!  any plans on how you're going to tackle them?

Additional to my workout and ju-jutsu training (three times a week), I want to do an increasing number of incline pushups every other day as they are described here: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/02/15/proper-push-up/

Plus every dinner with vegetables to eat healthier and feel better.

• Like 1

Airbender Level 2

Str 1 | Dex 0 | Sta 3 | Con 2 | Wis 2 | Cha 0

Current challenge: viki's high-wire act/     Old challenge: #1

Morning routine (34 / 42 days):

80.95%
80.95%

Learning progress (30 / 45 sections):
66.66%
66.66%

Yoga (4 / 18 sessions):
22.22%
22.22%

HUMANS NEED FANTASY TO BE HUMAN. TO BE THE PLACE WHERE THE FALLING ANGEL MEETS THE RISING APE.

Death, Hogfather

Additional to my workout and ju-jutsu training (three times a week), I want to do an increasing number of incline pushups every other day as they are described here: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/02/15/proper-push-up/

Yay for all of the vegetables!

Yay for everything else as well, but all of the vegetables are wonderful!

Plus 7FG - Cheechoe is so completely your NF mom - hate to break it to you - but yep, the posts agree........

NF challenges: March 2018 , 12 , 11 , 10, 9876, 54321

Welcome, Viki! :D

Inclined push-ups are bruuuuuuuutal! More power to you!

And I'm with Lou: Yay veggies!!!

Plus 7FG - Cheechoe is so completely your NF mom - hate to break it to you - but yep, the posts agree........

MWUAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!!!!

YES!!!!   I WILL GIVE TIME-OUTS!!!

That's a strange relationship with someone who is both much younger and much tinier than me.  Plus, my real mom is way taller, though still a badass.

WELL SOMEBODY HAS TO BE MATERNAL AROUND HERE!!

O.O

YOUR MOM IS TALLER THAN YOU?!?!?!?!?

• Like 1