• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

loire

Skull Crushers - The Crushing Continues!!

Dealing with depression and other "why bothers" is definitely something I can empathize with. The challenge leading up to this Gencon got hit with "well I can't do it THIS day..." Which just snowballed. But the "Braveheart" post the Steve wrote on the main site has actually been super helpful. To use football terminology, it's better to think about making yourself healthy as the running game; there aren't really gonna be long bombs, just good ol fashioned moving down the field to a goal. And we gots a full crew here... I believe "domination" would be the best expression ^__^

• Like 4

Mind having a Hulk join you guys this time around?

ff-cure-she-hulk-tf-o.gif

What do you think the hardest part of your challenge will be?

Being out of town and thus, out of my comfort zone. I've come so, so far with getting healthy and getting my RA under control and I'm afraid I'll be thrown for a loop and out of the beginnings of remission when I go away for the holidays. I'll be there for nearly three weeks, so I need to make sure I exercise and keep my diet consistent. Also, keeping myself motivated to write. Basically, yeah, just being out of my newly found comfort zone. 

• Like 4

I need an accountability group this challenge (not having one made slacking off last challenge easier than it should be), so count me in :D

YAY welcome!  We will keep ya from slacking, that's for sure!

Mind having a Hulk join you guys this time around?

There you are! :D  We would be honored!

I hate comfort zone anxiety... I used to (and sometimes still do) get bad travel anxiety thanks to my IBS.  I hated traveling or going anywhere outside of my little local comfort zone.  I'm overcoming it slowly but surely but it's hard!!! :(

• Like 2

Challenge is starting in 2 days! Gotta go grocery shopping today since I won't have time tomorrow....gotta make a meal plan and prep all my food....darn I thought today I could stay in and chill. NOPE! But it's worth it if it means a step closer to success...still I'm feeling lazy this morning xD

• Like 2

Meal Planning is part of my 6 Week Challenge. It's definitely a habit I want to build and I saw significant improvement the weeks I was on top of my meal planning. So, good luck all!

I'm going to be traveling for a wedding from this Thursday - Sunday (so no updating while away). So I'm making 1 meal to hold me through until I leave: Crustless Quiche, with sides of roasted veggies. I have a protein shake every morning, so this should last me through Wednesday. 

I'm a little anxious about being gone the first week of the Challenge, but I'll have y'all to keep me in dear when I get back!

• Like 2

Sounds like you have a good plan for before you leave. Have you thought about how you're going to handle things while your at the wedding? 

Yeeeaaah, that's something I'm still musing. I'm giving myself the wedding day totally free - I don't want to feel guilty for indulging at a wedding - that's the WHOLE POINT of weddings :) Plus, I'm presiding, so I'm going to earn my slice of cake and champagne. 

I plan on sticking to 3 bodyweight routines: Monday, Wednesday and either Friday (before the rehearsal) or Sunday (when I get back). I might allow myself a pass on a run/walk if I don't fit it in before I leave. I hope to do it Tuesday. But there will be dancing, and THAT is a cardio workout, so that might be a fair sub.

As far as food, I'm bringing protein powder for morning smoothies (I'm staying with my aunt, so I'll have access to a blender). I'm going to try and eat as sensibly as I can (low carb, high protein) on the not-wedding days. 

It's going to be a trial for Thanksgiving (which is with friends, so MUCH less stressful) and Christmas (with family, so lots of stress). But that's real life, so I am going to use meal planning as implementing strategies for minimizing damage while away from home (like bringing stuff for my morning smoothie).

Every little bit, right?

tumblr_lmws1aBK6I1qglvuso1_500.gif

• Like 2

rad-dog.gif

Challenge is up http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/56199-goongala-sjards-tribute-to-casey-jones/

Welcome to the SkullCrushers!! Was there a specific reason you dropped out last time? Did you just forget about it, or not have enough encouragement? We're all about working hard to succeed and giving each other support :D.

The second plus I use to sabotage myself as a form of punishment because I don't think I deserve something good/ a better life and succeeding a challenge would turn my life slightly
 into the right direction.

Hopefully this time I will deliver a better fight then last time, with a gang like you on my side.

cutest-panda-gifs-babies.gif

• Like 2

Awesome! Glad to hear you're thinking it through so that you can win :D. There are lots of things that cause stress so it's good to know your triggers. That way you can be better prepared to deal with them when they strike. Think of it as freeing yourself from your cage ;).

tumblr_mtrwfeEJRV1s0vfbfo1_250.gif

• Like 1

The second plus I use to sabotage myself as a form of punishment because I don't think I deserve something good/ a better life and succeeding a challenge would turn my life slightly into the right direction.

Hopefully this time I will deliver a better fight then last time, with a gang like you on my side.

Oh I am an EXPERT at self sabotage and I ran into it last challenge. I try to remember that I deserve to be happy and have a good life. And the whole writing down what I'm thinking helps with this as well. It's amazing how seeing what you're thinking written down can get you to realize how stupid you're being.

IMO, the best way to beat depression, self-sabotage or whatever is to set stuff up so that you can win. Getting a win under your belt really improves your head because you won. It proves to the emotional side that you're stronger and more resilient than you thought. We'll help you get back up if you fall down :D.

Group-of-Pandas-Falling-Down-Slide.gif

• Like 2

Anyone up for sharing their meal planning techniques? It's one of the hardest things for me. I do try to bring a ton of healthy foods into the office every Monday, but last challenge I got pretty bored with salad for lunch. I'm also the dinner cook, which can be tiring after a long day at the office, but I like cooking and I'm way better at it than the wife.  :playful: 

• Like 2

Anyone up for sharing their meal planning techniques? 

Ehhhh... you don't want to hear mine. I'm still eating pretty much the same thing day in and day out. I've been making batches of mini hamburgers (3-4oz a piece), chicken and/or salmon then I just pair it with a bag of steam fresh veggies (broccoli or broccoli, cauliflower and carrots). I've mixed things up by making chili, veggie beef stew and chicken stew so far but those are harder to bring into the office. I'm apparently really good with not needing different meals all the time. My only struggle at this point is figuring out snacks.

• Like 3

Anyone up for sharing their meal planning techniques? It's one of the hardest things for me. I do try to bring a ton of healthy foods into the office every Monday, but last challenge I got pretty bored with salad for lunch. I'm also the dinner cook, which can be tiring after a long day at the office, but I like cooking and I'm way better at it than the wife.  :playful: 

This is my area!

Let me admit a few things: I am not tracking macros, protein intake, carbs, etc. I'm generally trying to cut starches/simple carbs/heavily processed foods out of my diet and eat LOTS of veggies. I'm sure you could track each recipe you use, however, if you need to get more accurate food info. There's tons of good online tools. :)

Here's how it looks practically:

For Week 2 I'm (currently) planning on making a batch of Garden Vegetable Soup for lunches and either Mexican Salad or Quiche & roast veg for dinner (still up in the air). I make sure that between my two meals I'm getting A) enough calories, B ) generally enough (complete) protein, c) something I enjoy eating. I calculate my recipes, do the shopping, and dedicate a few hours on either Saturday or Sunday to making a BIG batch of food. Then I go ahead and portion it out for the week (that's generally only for lunches). This way I just grab  my pre-made lunch and zip out the door! When I'm really on top of my game, I also have better snacks (like veg & hummus) portioned & ready to go as well. [in this instance I'll have 5 glass jars of soup ready to grab for lunch, and then either all the bean & rice filling for Mexican salads, or a quiche that i just take a portion from & add veg to as my dinner; I have Trader Joe's trail mix packs and apples as snacks]

The key I've found is taking the prep time to find recipes you want to make/eat (for at least 5 meals in a week), and then spending a few hours making ALL THE FOOD, so that you can't get lazy and just order pizza. :)

I think you could implement this method by stream-linig your lunches - say you do salad for 1 week, then soup the next (glass mason jars hold about 2cups of soup and are EXCELLENT storage; just bring an extra bowl & spoon to work). Then pick 2 dinners you can make big batches of - a fav casserole, protein & roasted veggies, stir fry that's good re-heated, etc - and either make all of it ahead, or prep as much as you can while doing your lunch cooking, so that dinner = throwing a few things together quickly. Also: slow cookers are amazing for helping to make meal-prep easier. 

I've seen other methods of having a weekly schedule for dinners. Like, Tuesday is always taco night, Wednesday is always Breakfast for Dinner,  and Thursday is always soup & salad, etc. But, that's too much cooking for me personally. Since I don't mind the same thing for lunch every day (in a given week), the batch-cooking method works really well. And I usually allow myself 1 lunch skip or 1 dinner skip during the week so I can eat out with friends, which adds variety.

I have minimized wasted food (and $$ on food) since I don't have things turn bad because I haven't thought up what to cook them in. I think spending a few hours digging through your recipe books/ online sites/etc and picking 2-3 things to try, then dedicating a few hours (srsly - like 3 hours), to doing all the prep, clean up & portioning, is TOTALLY worth it (at least for this little skullcrusher). 

Good Luck!

giphy.gif

• Like 4

Brekke's got some solid points for the food making thing. The big thing that helps me is just making the path of least resistence lead to reasonable foods. I have a stash of almonds at work, and do my best to brew a pot of tea before going to work, so snacks and soda are OUT.

• Like 2

Brekke's got some solid points for the food making thing. The big thing that helps me is just making the path of least resistence lead to reasonable foods. I have a stash of almonds at work, and do my best to brew a pot of tea before going to work, so snacks and soda are OUT.

Just to add on, the opposite also works - put junk food in a place where so much work is needed that it's nearly impossible to reach. I had my brother take my candy stash, find some place to stow it, and then tell me where it was. It ended up wrapped in seventeen layers of wrapping paper in a locked box on the top shelf (which I can't reach without a ladder), and with at least fifteen boxes of odds and ends in the way. I haven't touched it at all simply because that's too much effort for one tiny piece of sugar. :pride:

• Like 4

Soup and chicken are lifesavers when it comes to meal prep. I boil chicken thighs (cheaper and more delicious) and shred them, then plunk them in a huge batch of soup for the week. Dinner every night! I think the theme is, it's good to get used to the idea of eating the same or mostly the same thing every day. I tried alternating between days so I'd have a beans and rice and soup day and a chicken and salmon day but it got way too confusing and I kept forgetting what day it was and just eating whatever I felt like (of the food I'd prepared, of course!). I also never prepare my breakfast ahead of time because I like to eat oatmeal then. But there are some great recipes out there for things like low carb muffins and stuff like that. The most important thing is as Brekketechie said, take the time to think about what you want to eat, and plan it out.

Brekketechie, will you share your quiche recipe? I love quiche! 

• Like 2

The Asian kitchen does have a few time-cheat recipes, including stir-fried everything (not even kidding) and blanched vegetables dressed in oyster sauce (of which Paleo varieties are available, for those on the Paleo diet).

Stir-fry is pretty simple and rather quick, and the best part of it is that almost anything can be stir-fried! Minced meat and French beans, cabbage and pork slices, Chinese kale with garlic... It's my go-to method of cooking things whenever I prep a meal.

Blanched vegetables in oyster sauce are another option, and they're pretty quick - dump vegetables into boiling water and fish them out after a minute, then toss them in cool water for another minute or so - and easy to prepare! Bok choy (Shanghai greens) work particularly well, but I suppose you could do the same to any leafy green vegetable you have in the fridge. Just mix a tablespoonful of oyster sauce with about the same amount of hot water and a bit of sesame oil, drizzle over blanched vegetables, and you're ready to go.

(pssssst. Dessert suggestion from the Asian kitchen if you don't mind making dessert in batches - 150g of mung beans OR adzuki beans simmered in 1.5 litres of water for about 45 minutes to an hour, sweetened with honey or rock sugar depending on your preference. Kinda filling too, so keep in mind.)

• Like 2

My crock pot is my savior for planning week long lunches too!  The only downside is, like Brekke said, taking the time to seek out recipes that you would love to eat and put aside the time to make them.  I like a lot of variety in my lunches (if I ate the same thing every week my stomach would revolt) so it's tough for me to sit down and figure out exactly which new magical thing to make... it frustrates me sometimes!!  But it's worth it when over the course of the week you can just grab something healthy you prepared and go with it.

I think this week I'm going to do shredded chicken wraps with beans, avocado, and lettuce.  Nomnomnomnom.

• Like 4