• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

SugarRay

[SugarRay] Assassin Skills.

D'ARGH DAMN YOU SHORT, STOCKY LIMBS!

So close, man..

Went bouldering today and managed to get to the third last move on one of the problems I'm trying to complete.

To clear it, I needed to make a dyno. It would have been a tough dyno for taller guys, but for me it would require a lot of power.

Haha.  Complaining about being too short to finish a bouldering problem has been a thing in this guild for years.  :)  I actually had a challenge goal in the past to go a full 6 weeks without whining about height.   It really burns me, because my husband is 6'2" and can just reach so many holds that I have to jump for.  Or he can just skip the crux on a lot of problems.  

I'm sure you'll get that dyno next time!

• Like 1

Love your challenge!  I will be infinitely impressed if you can pull all that off!  it'll be freaking cool!  and that video is awesome! definitely working towards that level of badassery myself... just quite a few steps behind ya.   :P  How long did it take you to get to level 5-6 climbing?!  i'm just starting up climbing again and i'm more at a 4-5 level.....

Good luck! i'll be following you're journey!  Post a video of where you've gotten with the ninja parkour at the end of the challenge?! :)

cheers!

D'ARGH DAMN YOU SHORT, STOCKY LIMBS!

So close, man..

Went bouldering today and managed to get to the third last move on one of the problems I'm trying to complete.

To clear it, I needed to make a dyno. It would have been a tough dyno for taller guys, but for me it would require a lot of power.

I got myself ready. Took me a deep breath and focused on my target... and I leaped like a freaking monkey.

And I reached it.

However, I couldn't get a good grip on it and I fell right back down.

I shall not say more lest the emotions that I'm hiding deep inside come pouring out.

I know them feels man xD Was climbing with a tall guy today, so many holds were just out of reach!!

Haha.  Complaining about being too short to finish a bouldering problem has been a thing in this guild for years.   :)  I actually had a challenge goal in the past to go a full 6 weeks without whining about height.   It really burns me, because my husband is 6'2" and can just reach so many holds that I have to jump for.  Or he can just skip the crux on a lot of problems.  

I'm sure you'll get that dyno next time!

I have to take a leaf out of your book for this one; I whine about my height twelve times before breakfast!

I guess the grass is greener on the other side? Surely taller folk have their own pet peeves...

...actually, no. They probably don't.

I'll be dedicating this week's bouldering session to reaching that dyno. The problem allows the use of the wall, so there's probably a crimp or something that I can take advantage of.

...but of course, as dynos are awesome, I think I'll just try and make the jump.

Love your challenge!  I will be infinitely impressed if you can pull all that off!  it'll be freaking cool!  and that video is awesome! definitely working towards that level of badassery myself... just quite a few steps behind ya.    :tongue:  How long did it take you to get to level 5-6 climbing?!  i'm just starting up climbing again and i'm more at a 4-5 level.....

Good luck! i'll be following you're journey!  Post a video of where you've gotten with the ninja parkour at the end of the challenge?!  :)

cheers!

Thanks for dropping in! As said before, I'm most worried about avoiding chocolate, but I'll be pleased with myself if I manage to complete this challenge with a grade above B.

Took me around nine months to get to the point I am at the moment. I was lucky in that I had a good level of strength before starting climbing, so I wasn't too limited by my body. I had some really great people giving me pointers for technique, too; the staff at my gym are brilliant.

I'll try and get a video up in regards to the gymnastics.. if I succeed. It'd be awful to say "Yeah, here's a video of the three skills that I mastered. Didn't manage the other three, but oh well."

I know them feels man xD Was climbing with a tall guy today, so many holds were just out of reach!!

On the plus side, I can't exactly imagine a tall bloke doing this!

Probably easier to do that as a 5'7 climber versus a 6+ climber. =D

----------

Chocolate is going really well.

However, it is so. damn. difficult.

I really want to try the new Yorkie Peanut bar, but I have to wait 5 weeks.

How do I deal with my cravings? I do a handstand. For some reason, it works. =D

---

I'm still behind on geometry. I swear I'll do like two hundred pages on the weekend.

Somehow.

URRRGH.

---

Gymnastics later on! I can't wait. Will be playing around on the rings again catching up on the challenge related techniques today.

---

Now, I'm currently doing a lot of things in my free time. Boxing, gymnastics, rock climbing..

I've decided that being a jack of all trades isn't going to help me much here. I want to make progress! I'm going to have to pick two of the three sports and stick with them.

Boxing stays, as it's too important to me to give up. 

So. That leaves gymnastics and rock climbing.

Who will stay? Who will leave? Find out next time on... 

...ahem.

In any case, I'll come to a decision by the end of this challenge. This is one super hard decision!

You can always do one of them more casually.  You certainly don't have to give it up. 

Handstands instead of chocolate hmmm?  Will have to try that.

BAH.

Yesterday was crap. No workout, no reading.. however, no chocolate, so not absolutely dreadful.

..I think it's fair to say that I'm really messing up the reading part of the challenge.

Wednesday was pretty good! Started work on the no handed cartwheel. I somewhat remember learning it when I used to practice Capoeira..

Uh... like, four years ago.

But yeah, it's not posing too much of a threat. Still looks like a slightly diagonal butterfly twist, but we'll work on that.

I'm planning on boxing today, but I'm starting to feel a cold coming on. Stuffy nose, itchy throat..

That's no excuse, still going boxing! However, might just take it easy tonight.

---------

You can always do one of them more casually.  You certainly don't have to give it up. 

Handstands instead of chocolate hmmm?  Will have to try that.

Can I? I want progress, and splitting my free time between two activities which both require a lot of dedicated practice to build skill is hampering my progress in both activities. Casually training gymnastics is all well and good, but will I be making progress? Very little. Rock climbing once a month or so is fine, but how long until I advance a grade? Years.

As a student, my time is limited and my wallet is slim. I feel that dedicating my resources to one of the two activities is far more profitable than splitting them between both. I'd be more hesitant if I was training, say, judo and greco-roman wrestling; both complement each other.

But you can't get better at rock climbing by doing gymnastics, and vice versa.

I also faced the choose your poison problem. I LOVE gymnastics so I wound up sticking with that and lifting weights (for the most part), but the temptation is really strong to get into other things like rock climbing/bouldering after trying them out or looking into circus arts. I feel like 2 disciplines max is all you can really do with the actual aim to improve -- plus they're time-intensive, money-intensive, and focus-intensive. 

Good luck choosing! Best thing to remember is that it isn't permanent -- you aren't locked in. You can always switch hobbies and still flirt with the others when you are interested. What is your jam now might not be your jam in 2 years. You never know. :)

So I discover that there's someone else doing gymnastics flips, bouldering and maths, but it's the last day of the challenge and over a month since the Assassin in question last posted anything! How's it going Sugar Ray? (whether good news, bad news or something in between).

SugarRay returns! =O

The last few weeks have been absolutely crazy. Thus, this challenge has well and truly failed.

Why was I gone? Well, the pressure of a multitude of exams, a boxing tournament and Christmas finally got to me, and I decided to put all my energy into the tasks at hand. That meant no gymnastics, no climbing and very little browsing time. I barely answered my emails, which is awful because I have a ton of unread stuff that may be important.

Whilst I do feel a glint of shame from neglecting the challenge I set myself, I did, on the other hand, do some pretty cool things!

1. Attended a boxing tournament with other gyms in my area and faced off against other welterweights. Managed to pull through without any losses! My opponents were all taller than me, which was terrifying. =O

2. GOT ME A HARMONICA and figured out how to bend notes. Cowboy Bebop soundtrack coming up!

3. Averaged 94% in my maths modules and 91% in my physics modules!

So, yeah. Failed my challenge, but did pretty well in other aspects.

GTG, need to write up my next challenge. Let's hope it isn't a second fail! =D

• Like 2