Hermione Gainser and the Quads of Fire

167b65d1cd2e5d0ad3647944643700ee8a4389fa

Main Quest:

• Body weight squat
  • Sanity

Mini main quest:

• Be a quadzilla

Background:

Have made nice progress on both goals.  Suffered major squat set back when I fractured my foot. Recently got my boot off so I'm rebuilding the ol' squat.

Maintained a good level of over all strength where possible, but lost a lot of mobility and strength in some key places.  Fixing that is priority numero uno.

Goals:

1. Mobility - Always. Ankle, calf, and hip.  Unjunk what the boot junked.

2. Accessorize - Front squats (squat!), hip dominant movements, single leg work. Anything that helps me get my body moving right again.  Hips and various glute areas are not so much on board with proper squat movement yet. 

3. Squat - Just squat. A lot. Still using the basic set up I had before, but adding front squats back in. 100+ is the goal.

4. Punch the clock - Just do it. Get in the gym. Put in the work. Remain consistent. Trust the process. /cliches

My birthday is the first official day of the challenge and I will be out of town doing super fun things in celebration.  Feel free to spam the hell out of my thread with silliness and happiness in the mean time. It IS my birthday, after all.

• Like 3

YAAAAY squats!! How many days are you planning to squat? Maybe we can squat "together?" I am so lacking lifting motivation. I feel like squatting is my gateway back to happiness, but can't quite get there. Heck, maybe I need a one day a week goal!

Pre-happy birthday, friend! Enjoy all your birthday funs! 

• Like 2

Quadzilla_BLACK_MOCKUP_cropped.jpg?v=140

It has been done. This shall be my prize for achieving quadzillaness! 

Yay for squats!

tumblr_mqs4abH2Bp1ro3593o4_500.gif

(Who is he kidding... kittens aren't for squats.  Kittens are for curls.)

tumblr_mqs4abH2Bp1ro3593o1_500.gif

Pfffft, those squats aren't even deep enough.  Come on, Bro. Kitteh does not approve.

I really can't compete with chammy here, but I'm here sans gif cuz, lazy. I'm in bed.

I fully support bed and therefore cannot be upset about lack of gif.

Can't compete with kittens either, will take another route.

homer-workout-o.gif

Wait. That's not how you use it? DAMN!

Always in for squats!

SQuats!! Yes!!

Do some extra squats for me too, kthx. ;)

PS, rumor is you may come to visit?!

You got it!

Eep! Dems da rumors!!!  I'm hoping so.  I'm SOEXCITEDYOUMOVEDDOWNSOUTH! Really, I'm not sure why I'm not up there harassing Blueberries on a regular basis. It's only like 4 hours from me.  Easy drive.

YAAAAY squats!! How many days are you planning to squat? Maybe we can squat "together?" I am so lacking lifting motivation. I feel like squatting is my gateway back to happiness, but can't quite get there. Heck, maybe I need a one day a week goal!

Pre-happy birthday, friend! Enjoy all your birthday funs! 

Plan is at least 2 days. Maaaybe all three.  Here's what's going on:  I lift MWF b/c of work schedule, right? Well, M and F used to be squat days. W was deadlifts. BUT since the gym rearranged everything I've been having trouble getting in the squat rack on Fridays because Friday is a really popular CF day (what is that?). So, I opted to rearrange my workouts so I squat M and W and deadlift on F.  

That being said, my plan is to add front squats in on my "heavy" squat day as an accessory lift - either right after or coming back to it after bench.  BUT, I'd prefer to do them on deadlift day if I can.  I just don't know that I can get to the rack on that day. 

So that was a lot of story. But yes! Let's squat together!!  And we can commiserate about how rough it is transitioning back into squatting from not squatting.  My body is NOT having it right now (seriously, I can't even hit parallel right now).  So! Pick a day and make that your day! And we can be squat accountabilibuddies :)

And THANKS!  Today is my last (half) day of work before shenanigans commence. I. CAN. NOT. WAIT.   Horses and ziplines and hot tubs, OH MY!

Gym last night.

Mobility: Ankle - post workout, Hip - a whole bunch: pigeony type stuff, pressure wave type stuff, supernova in places it should not go type stuff, Calf - rolled em out w/ lax ball and roller.

Mobility was done before, a little during, and a lot after my workout. There's a lot to get done here.

Squat: Yes. Not working on my volume v. heavy stuff right now. More focusing on just being able to squat properly. So I video'd a bunch of squats.  They're feeling better than Monday but I'm not hitting parallel right now without folding over.  Mobility. More of it.

Accessorize: Tried barbell lunges.  Lots of focus on proper movement - definitely helpful. Right side (not the booted side) is being a finicky poohead.

Workout:

Squat:

bwx6

65x5

65x3

65x5

65x5

65x5

65x3

Bench:

85x4

95x2

100x3

100x3

100x3

100x3

100x3

100x3

Dragon flagish thing:

Notes: Pretty excited about how much progress I've made on these dragon flag type things.  Definitely not full on but I'm getting pretty damn strong. WOO! Also, out benched a bro.  He was obviously a newb so it's not that exciting... but it's always nice to see the look of utter horror on their faces when they realize I have more weight on the bar. Weight was very doable. First time benching in a while so stayed conservative.

Barbell Lunges:

45x20

45x18

45x16

Chest Supported Row:

45x9

45x9

45x7

Notes: Hey, barbell lunges aren't as hard as I thought they'd be.  That's craziness. Weak row, bro.

• Like 2

Pfffft, those squats aren't even deep enough.  Come on, Bro. Kitteh does not approve.

And he picked the heavier cat for the curls. Total Bro.

Bench:

85x4

95x2

100x3

100x3

100x3

100x3

100x3

100x3

Dragon flagish thing:

Notes: Pretty excited about how much progress I've made on these dragon flag type things.  Definitely not full on but I'm getting pretty damn strong. WOO! Also, out benched a bro.  He was obviously a newb so it's not that exciting... but it's always nice to see the look of utter horror on their faces when they realize I have more weight on the bar. Weight was very doable. First time benching in a while so stayed conservative.

I love how your "conservative" bench is still triple digits :). I wish you had a hidden camera so we could see the bro's face...

PS - how the heck do you post gifs here??

Use the little icon that looks like a picture of a tree in the reply box. Just link the URL; works for gifs as well as pictures.

Plan is at least 2 days. Maaaybe all three.  Here's what's going on:  I lift MWF b/c of work schedule, right? Well, M and F used to be squat days. W was deadlifts. BUT since the gym rearranged everything I've been having trouble getting in the squat rack on Fridays because Friday is a really popular CF day (what is that?). So, I opted to rearrange my workouts so I squat M and W and deadlift on F.  

That being said, my plan is to add front squats in on my "heavy" squat day as an accessory lift - either right after or coming back to it after bench.  BUT, I'd prefer to do them on deadlift day if I can.  I just don't know that I can get to the rack on that day. 

So that was a lot of story. But yes! Let's squat together!!  And we can commiserate about how rough it is transitioning back into squatting from not squatting.  My body is NOT having it right now (seriously, I can't even hit parallel right now).  So! Pick a day and make that your day! And we can be squat accountabilibuddies :)

And THANKS!  Today is my last (half) day of work before shenanigans commence. I. CAN. NOT. WAIT.   Horses and ziplines and hot tubs, OH MY!

Yes! I want to pick a day! Which day, which day? Mondays always suck. So not Mondays. This week I'll lift on Tuesday for sure because I have the day off work. I kinda want to share a squat day with you, though. So maybe on the reg I'll try to do Wednesdays.

My goal this challenge is to lift twice a week. One day will be squats. The other probably DL. And then I'll do whatever else I want on either of those days as far as upper body goes. I also probably need to be doing accessory work, but psh. Not this challenge. I'm in it for the big lifts! :)

Oh my gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawd. You guys!

lucille-bluth-flail.gif

You never disappoint <3

First rule of the Hermione...thou shalt not injure thyself.  Slow and steady...

Oh my god, yes!  Happily, injury free still! And that's saying something with all the horse running and flying through the air. Fo sho.

Hermione, I'm following along because I love your humour and I can't wait to see where you go with this challenge!

PS - how the heck do you post gifs here??

Welcome+to+the+Party+Pal.gif

^ good question!

Use the little icon that looks like a picture of a tree in the reply box. Just link the URL; works for gifs as well as pictures.

^This!  Do an image search for the appropriate (or wildly inappropriate) sentiment desired, right click, copy image location or url, come back and paste it in that box.  Ta da! Joy in the form of moving pictures!

Warning: you may develop an inability to communicate with other humans without the use of gifs... not that I've experienced that or anything...

Yes! I want to pick a day! Which day, which day? Mondays always suck. So not Mondays. This week I'll lift on Tuesday for sure because I have the day off work. I kinda want to share a squat day with you, though. So maybe on the reg I'll try to do Wednesdays.

My goal this challenge is to lift twice a week. One day will be squats. The other probably DL. And then I'll do whatever else I want on either of those days as far as upper body goes. I also probably need to be doing accessory work, but psh. Not this challenge. I'm in it for the big lifts! :)

Sweet! Let's do this!  We can do Squat Wednesdays and Deadlift Fridays! 

Or just squat Wednesdays.  SQUATS!

Can I join squat day!?!?!??!? Pretty please?

YES! Of course!

I thought, I'd add my wisdom, too (thx to my sis for posting this)

2d5732c654c2c68e615ff9c20741cde3.jpg

Oh my god. Every time. Seriously.

I'm back! (obvs)

I ziplined. I rode Thor through the woods at (not so) break neck speeds.  I drank a lot of wine in a hot tub.  I ate all the grilled meats.  Perfection.

Got my workout on yesterday, of course.

Squat:

technique work at various weights.  mobility is improving.

Bench:

95x3

102.5x3

102.5x3

102.5x3

102.5x3

102.5x3

102.5x3

Front Squat:

45x2

55x1

60x5

60x5

60x5

Extension:

25x8

25x8

25x8

Notes: Superset. I couldn't remember what set - rep scheme I was trying to do for FS so I just went with a 3x5.  FS is waaaaaaaaaay harder after squats than it is before deadlifts. That's a duh, of course, but for the love of pete. And no, the back extensions didn't help.

Half of my goals weren't applicable while I was on vacation, but I did do some mobility work... just... not a ton. 

• Like 1