• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hermione Gainser

Hermione Gainser and the Quads of Fire

What a delicious vacation! 

Squat Wednsday? I'm all in! 

Helllls yes!

Wednesday is usually a heavy squat day for me, too...

...and apparently that's the cool day for squats:

on-wednesdays-we-squat.png

YES! This is my new favorite ever.

Yep, Rounders!

A wild Jdanger appears!

Good luck and thanks for the hilarity! Gifs are my favorite!

1K3rqEP.gif

Thanks! and my pleasure :)

Oh my gosh, on Wednesdays we squat!!! I will rearrange and/or add a workout to my week to ensure that I am a part of squat Wednesdays. Also, that picture makes me wish we could still have images in our sigs.

Yay!!! Can we work it out that we all squat IN pink? That would be perfection.

Goals!

Mobility - every day so far.  I'm in love with this ankle mob Nightlight sent me.  It took me a few times to get it right but now that I've got it it's like I have free ankles. They are so happy. and mad. because mobility. ow. Also working hips, but a little bit less than I want to/should/whatev.

Squat - I only got one squat day in last week but that was planned.  I wanted to get some squats in on Friday even though it's deadlift day but then I got to the gym and remembered why I don't squat on Friday anymore. F*cking crossfitters everywhere.

Accessorize - Pretty much.

Cliches - Yup. Did it.

workout 11/14

Deadlift:

145x4

160x2

170x5

170x5

170x5

Ab wheel:

Notes: Superset. Just trying to work the weight back up. 170 was easy. Ab wheel - focusing on getting longer movements instead of more reps.

OHP:

65x4

70x5

72.5x5

72.5x4

72.5x4

72.5x3

72.5x3

70x4

65x5

RDL:

105x8

105x8

105x8

• Like 1

You are coming back with a vengeance. Those are some nice lifts :).

Yay!!! Can we work it out that we all squat IN pink? That would be perfection.

Hahaha... so, you know how the main character in Mean Girls has to borrow an oversized pink polo for "on Wednesdays we wear pink" day? Well, that would be me. I think the closest thing I have is a fuchsia tank... does that count?

Actually, now that I think about it (and check my drawers) I also have a magenta shirt, though it's not the best for lifting. And there's always my magenta summer dress. Might look kinda silly squatting in that, however.

You'd think I'd have a better idea of what clothes I have, given that I only brought one suitcase and a small duffel with me to the UK.

I can save my pink workout tank for Wednesday ;)

Score! I will definitely save my pink tank. 

(i am way too excited about this idea)

You are coming back with a vengeance. Those are some nice lifts :).

Hahaha... so, you know how the main character in Mean Girls has to borrow an oversized pink polo for "on Wednesdays we wear pink" day? Well, that would be me. I think the closest thing I have is a fuchsia tank... does that count?

Actually, now that I think about it (and check my drawers) I also have a magenta shirt, though it's not the best for lifting. And there's always my magenta summer dress. Might look kinda silly squatting in that, however.

You'd think I'd have a better idea of what clothes I have, given that I only brought one suitcase and a small duffel with me to the UK.

Ha! Thank ya!

That's perfect. Like actually perfect! hahahahahhaa I love it. But hey, I think fuschia counts

HG shares the ankle mob she got from NL or she gets the hose again...

post-29448-shirtless-David-Spade-Joe-Dir

You got it.

So, let's see if I can explain this accurately.....

Do this:

480_1.jpg

(sorry, it's so big!)

Take the front foot (or basically whichever ankle you're not mobilizing) and hook your foot behind your knee.  Bend your knee (making sure not to do the valgus collapse thing) and put all your weight on it.  While doing that, make sure you're pushing your heel towards the ground. 

Initially, it felt insanely heinous. I mean... like WHOA.  I thought for sure I was doing something wrong.  Then I stepped away and my ankle was like

tumblr_lqhuxsEzqD1qmpkul.gif

Your challenge title made my day, kill it : )

Squee! Glad I could help :D

11/17/14

Squat:

A whole bunch, working mobility and stuff.  Definite improvement!

Pullup negative: 

Chin negatives:

Banded chin:

Banded pull ups:

Notes: basically, just messing around with a bunch of pull work.  Feeling weak.

BSS:

Notes: Huzzah. balance is back to pre injury levels (and maybe even a little improved).  Time to add weight.

Lat pull down:

70x15

70x12

70x10

Dip shrug:

Notes: Wanted some volume work on the lats (brossaywhat?) and dip shrugs are my new favorite (such a bro).

Mobility - Lots!

Squat - Obvs

Get it done - Obvs

Accessory - Yuh.

• Like 2

'bout how long are you in the gym on an average workout? I'm trying to convince myself that I should be doing my mobility stuff there instead of home where the distractions live. Help me convince me.

'bout how long are you in the gym on an average workout? I'm trying to convince myself that I should be doing my mobility stuff there instead of home where the distractions live. Help me convince me.

Hahahahahahahaha yeah... I'm not sure I'll help convince you.  The caveat here is that I'm uber tight when I get to the gym. So my warm ups take for freaking ever (including the mobility I do).  If you're not a ball of junk when you get to the gym it might be faster. Most people seem to be in a better position than myself.

ANYHOW,  I'm in the gym for 2 - 2.5 hours generally. That's changing, warm ups, workouts, mobility, cool down.  

What I would suggest:  pick a few things to do post workout on each workout day so you're only  adding another 10 or so minutes to your gym time. 

Thanks for sharing the ankle mobility!

I saw this and thought of the "hey girl" Tumblr in your signature:

large.jpg

Got my almost-pink tank in my bag for squat day!

Yes! Hey Girl <3

Me too!! And my NF hoodie.

I hope the explanation was helpful.  If not maybe I can get some pics or something (or share the video NL sent me, assuming she'd be okay with that).

Went to the gym yesterday for some cardio-ish metconny type stuff.  Here's what I did:

20 box jumps

16 sledgehammer swings

10 tire flips

8 weighted reverse kick throughs

I set the timer for 20 minutes and aimed to do as many rounds as possible. I got (almost) 4 - halfway through the WRKTs on the last set.

Then I did some mobility. Of course.

So yeah, goals on point. 

Tonight, we squat.

• Like 1

I'm wearing as much pink as my work wardrobe has to offer:

(I can't get the image to post and am sick of dealing with it, so here's the stupid link.)

I was going to originally say I hope I don't look as irritated as the model, but maybe this sweater makes people irritable! :) 

I feel like Regina wouldn't approve of the minimal pink. 

But I don't care because when I get home from work, I squat!

Whoa.  So I just tried that ankle mob.  It felt like my achilles was going to rip out of my ankle.... in a good way.

Thanks for posting the mob, HG! (and thank you nightlight for passing on wisdom!!) I tried it too. feels much more effective than the other stretchy thing I was doing. one of them  felt a bit painful (not in the achilles) in a oh-no-i'm-doing-this-wrong kind of way but like you said, felt pretty good after!

I'm wearing as much pink as my work wardrobe has to offer:

(I can't get the image to post and am sick of dealing with it, so here's the stupid link.)

I was going to originally say I hope I don't look as irritated as the model, but maybe this sweater makes people irritable! :)

I feel like Regina wouldn't approve of the minimal pink. 

But I don't care because when I get home from work, I squat!

This is all that matters!

Whoa.  So I just tried that ankle mob.  It felt like my achilles was going to rip out of my ankle.... in a good way.

Ouch! But yeah, wow, right? Junky ankle club!

Thanks for posting the mob, HG! (and thank you nightlight for passing on wisdom!!) I tried it too. feels much more effective than the other stretchy thing I was doing. one of them  felt a bit painful (not in the achilles) in a oh-no-i'm-doing-this-wrong kind of way but like you said, felt pretty good after!

This.  I've been having a hard time finding ankle mobs that do much of anything so this one was the ticket.

I am still slightly confuse at the ankle mob.

Also, hai.

We'll chat. 

HI <3

I'm here! I miss you. But Idon't have anything fantastic to post about squats. Sad face. 

Not even that they were done? That would be fantastic in and of itself.  you <3

On Wednesdays we wear pink (and squat, mostly squat)

20141119_165855.jpg

Apparently we also wear a lot of FN gray. I did not plan that well.

Anywho... squats!

11/19/14

Squat:

bwx4

65x3

75x2

85x3

85x3

85x3

85x3

85x3

85x3

Notes: So pitiful, these numbers. But hey, these felt better than any I've done in a long time so I went with it. The weight certainly isn't heavy but getting my body to do what it's supposed to is still somewhat challenging.

Bench:

95x4

105x3

105x3

105x3

105x3

105x3

105x3

Front squat:

55x6

55x6

55x6

Notes: For the love of pete, WHY? Jiminy freaking christmas. I can't wait until I can rearrange my lift days again so I can do FS on deadlift day. I'm going to try them right after squats instead of waiting and see if that makes me want to die a little less (since the weights are so light right now anyway)

Extension:

25x9

25x9

25x9

Farmer:

45x50

45x58

45x58

Notes: farmer noted in steps. also, hi, humans, when you see someone wandering around with dumbbells GET THE FRAK OUT OF THE WAY.  Do I LOOK agile to you right now? Really? Jesus.

Then I spent some time mobilizing.

I don't think I mobilized yesterday. But otherwise, I'm mobilizing a good amount (especially post workout which I find most effective) and am on track with da goalz. Yay.

• Like 1

Yay for Wednesday squats!

Out of curiosity: I've seen you often use either sets of 3 or sets of 5 for the big lifts--any reason you choose one over the other? I know the lower the reps, the more you focus on strength and obviously the closer you can work to your 1RM. The sets of 3 just reminded me of a suggestion by Mark Rippetoe in Practical Programming (that women switch from 3x5 to 5x3 when they start slowing down in the linear progression). I'm also trying to learn about the world outside of 5x5 and 3x5--these rep schemes have been my focus for months now!

Yay for Wednesday squats!

Out of curiosity: I've seen you often use either sets of 3 or sets of 5 for the big lifts--any reason you choose one over the other? I know the lower the reps, the more you focus on strength and obviously the closer you can work to your 1RM. The sets of 3 just reminded me of a suggestion by Mark Rippetoe in Practical Programming (that women switch from 3x5 to 5x3 when they start slowing down in the linear progression). I'm also trying to learn about the world outside of 5x5 and 3x5--these rep schemes have been my focus for months now!

Yeah, switching to three's after doing fives for a while is a logical and thus common progression. It allows a lifter to continue progressing with heavier loads and even keep the volume up with extra sets. In longer term intermediate progressions we often setup blocks of five followed by threes to achieve exactly the same sort of sequencing. This is basic periodization and using later training blocks to enhance the effects of previous blocks.

Fives definitely build strength but are also bounded pretty significantly by a lifter's work capacity and can be pretty tough to progress for more than a few weeks at a time for non-novice lifters. Switching to threes after a while allows the loads to keep increasing while not digging such a deep recovery hole. This also follows another rule of long term progression which is the variability of training loads that basically tells us that the body does better long term when training stimuli are varied rather than increased in a totally linear fashion over time. The goal is always more volume and higher relative intensities but we have to get there by bouncing around and trending up rather than getting there in a straight line. Additionally, when the goal is an increased one rep max, as it often is in barbell sports, threes also represent and increase in specificity.

So yeah, if you're brand new to the sport the initial 5x5 progressions can keep you going for quite a long time but once you stall a couple times switching to a progression that includes threes is definitely a good idea.

• Like 2

BOOM, Jdangered!  Thanks J!

So, that and, personally, I just find it a lot easier on my psyche to regularly get in the gym and do sets of 3 more often than 5s.

Speaking of the sets!

11/21/14

SLRDL:

25x6

25x5

Deadlifts:

145x4

160x3

175x1

180x5

180x5

180x5

Notes: I forgot how much the SLRDLs helped in the whole warm up/activation thing for deadlifts. Love.

OHP:

65x5

72.5x5

72.5x4

72.5x4

72.5x3

72.5x4

72.5x3

65x6

RDL:

105x8

105x8

105x8

DB bench:

35x10

35x10

35x10

Notes: Might be 30 on db bench. I forget. But I'm inclined to think 35. The exact opposite of Wildross, I find myself way too pull dominant so I thought I'd throw some push in there. 

There was some core work, too but I always forget which core work I do when.  I might have done laying leg lifts and heel touches. 

Mobility: I've been on point with mobility.

Quads: I've been playing with my workout routine since getting my boot off.  I know as I get my squat in order that'll help with my quadzilla desires, but in the mean time I don't think I'm doing enough for 'em. I get very caught up in what I feel like I should do and not necessarily what I want to do.  There has to be some line somewhere where I can have both.  Oh wait. That's lifting every day and getting paid for it, right? Damn.

Otherwise, things are good.  I should be able to get all my workouts in this week no problem.

• Like 1

Yeah, switching to three's after doing fives for a while is a logical and thus common progression. It allows a lifter to continue progressing with heavier loads and even keep the volume up with extra sets. In longer term intermediate progressions we often setup blocks of five followed by threes to achieve exactly the same sort of sequencing. This is basic periodization and using later training blocks to enhance the effects of previous blocks.

Fives definitely build strength but are also bounded pretty significantly by a lifter's work capacity and can be pretty tough to progress for more than a few weeks at a time for non-novice lifters. Switching to threes after a while allows the loads to keep increasing while not digging such a deep recovery hole. This also follows another rule of long term progression which is the variability of training loads that basically tells us that the body does better long term when training stimuli are varied rather than increased in a totally linear fashion over time. The goal is always more volume and higher relative intensities but we have to get there by bouncing around and trending up rather than getting there in a straight line. Additionally, when the goal is an increased one rep max, as it often is in barbell sports, threes also represent and increase in specificity.

So yeah, if you're brand new to the sport the initial 5x5 progressions can keep you going for quite a long time but once you stall a couple times switching to a progression that includes threes is definitely a good idea.

BOOM, Jdangered!  Thanks J!

So, that and, personally, I just find it a lot easier on my psyche to regularly get in the gym and do sets of 3 more often than 5s.

Thanks for the explanation, jdanger! And Hermione, thanks for letting me hijack your thread with programming questions (I ended up posting something along the same lines in the Training Yard, too) :). And I can see how sets of three are easier psychologically... esp. for the dreaded OHP. Since my progress on that particular lift is stalling, I'll try switching it over to triples. Deadlifts, on the other hand, have some more progression left at 1x5 :).