Romse's Challenge

romse

Introduction:  Hi I am Romse :) I joined a long time ago, tried a couple challenges, and never managed to finish one. Times have changed, and I wanted to try again. I am a 23 year old software developer (read: I sit on my butt all day) who loves martial arts. Unfortunately I am also 200 lbs and very injury prone, making martial arts not always love me ;) I've also recently taken up rock climbing. because, why not? 

my main problems over the past couple years have been some awesome injuries, including a weird back problem, torn AC (shoulder), tendonitis in my elbow (golfer's elbow), super bad ankles and now some plantar facisitis. They are all finally mostly cleared up(knock on wood!) so I feel like its time to start trying again.

I also have a large problem of paralysis by analysis. I tend to try things for a week, freak out that they don't work, and switch gears. So a big mountain for me to climb is consistency.

Main Quest: My main quest is to be a lighter, stronger, more awesome version of me.

to be more quantifiable, I'd like to weigh in at 40 lbs less, have awesome control over my body (pullups, climbing, handstands, jumpy spinny kicks, etc) and be less breakable (injury-wise)

Quest 1: Complete a Challenge!

Check in at least once a week with honest measurements/weight. keep track of the quest goals.

Measurement: A = updated each goal's progress each week, didn't change any goals B = updated, but changed a goal C = didn't update every week but made progress on each goal.

Quest 2 1. whole. pullup.

I have gotten so close quite a few times. I want to finally do it. just one. we can go on from there. I've started rock climbing to help with the upper body strength. plus getting back into martial arts, I feel this is totally obtainable. I currently can hang, and definitely pull up a bit, but I havent managed to bend my elbows up to the 90 degrees point. I hear its a cakewalk once you hit 90 degrees at the elbows.

plan: 1 rock climbings a week. 2 martial arts a week. get out the pullup bar and do hangs/bends/assisted pullups 4x a week.

Measurement: A = 1 whole pullup, B = I stuck with the plan but didnt make a pullup, C = 6/8 planned workouts a week

Quest 3: Become more mindful of eating.

Log everything that goes into my mouth using fitbit. Even if i am ashamed of eating it. Log the proper portion sizes too, don't doctor it to make yourself feel better. I need a real baseline so i can understand what i'm eating and how it affects me.

Measurement: A = 40+ days of logging B = 36+ days of logging C = 32+ days of logging

Life Quest: Pay off some debt.

Don't acquire more. My goal is my credit card paid off (1300) and 800 paid off on my line of credit. This will be tricky as Christmas season is here.

Measurement: A = paid off, B = 700+ paid on both, C = 500+ paid on both

If anyone has feedback on the attainability of my goals, please share :) I really want to finish it this time.

Level 0 Human Monk-Apprentice

STR 0|DEX 0|STA 0|CON 0|WIS 0|CHA 0

My Current Challenge

i think you've got a good plan there and the only thing that i could add is to maybe join an accountability group when they're up for extra motivation.  Also follow a few people and encourage them too.  Just spend some time being social and you're going to find that sticking to things while being a part of a community is a great way to get things done :D

You might notice that I've added tags onto your thread.  This is not to pigeonhole you into a specific guild, but rather to attract the attention of the guild ambassadors because of your lifestyle or a grouping of goals, so that they might be able to motivate, encourage and advise you of anything during your challenge with us.  You don't even need to wait for them, you're welcome to pop into the Monks to say hi and introduce yourself and to see what they're about. Also you are more than welcome to drop me a line at any time if you need anything.

Good luck

AB xx

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

Martial arts, eh?  

Somehow, my search-fu failed to catch your challenge when you posted it.  Time for that to change!

Speaking as a monk, and a monk prone to strange injuries, we are always encouraging of recovery goals. There are always monks lurking about who have managed to injure themselves in one fashion or another and are looking to find ways to keep training and heal properly.  We are a tightly knit group with monks hailing from all walks of life and at all levels of martial arts knowledge.  Perhaps you'd care to drop by the Courtyard and say hello?

Rock climbing is super awesome for developing total body strength, especially good core strength, which is critical to success in martial arts.  My wife and I did rock climbing together for a time and it builds up a lot of confidence in your strength and ability.

You are not alone in trying to find consistency.  What you'll find here is a group of people whose only concern is in helping you find the path to your own consistent habits.  Be the most awesome form of yourself that you can.  

I look forward to seeing your challenge progress.  Good luck!

Half-Giant Monk

current challenge

"Promote yourself, but do not demote another." Yisroel Salanter

Hey Romse!

I totally get the paralysis by analysis gig. It's my main struggle as well, and I have back problem issues too. I'm about to start my first challenge, so it's great knowing there are other people in a similar situation! Wishing you the best of luck! :)

(Now to take a deep breath and write some goals...)

my main problems over the past couple years have been some awesome injuries, including a weird back problem, torn AC (shoulder), tendonitis in my elbow (golfer's elbow), super bad ankles and now some plantar facisitis. They are all finally mostly cleared up(knock on wood!) so I feel like its time to start trying again.

I also have a large problem of paralysis by analysis. I tend to try things for a week, freak out that they don't work, and switch gears. So a big mountain for me to climb is consistency.

Lvl 3 Wood Elf Adventurer

STR 9.25 || DEX 5 || STA 3 || CON 9.75 || WIS 12.75 || CHA 2

Challenges: Current || #1 || #2 || #3 || Artistic & Creative Accountability || Etsy Shop

It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye. --The Fox in The Little Prince

Walk to Mordor // 116 out of 1779 miles

Hello and welcome. I am also an injury-prone monk. I suspect there's a pattern relating to people who love martial arts and a general ability to collect new and exciting forms of pain. Pop on over to monks anytime you wanna chat about injuries. Or anytime at all.

<p>Half-orc Sort-of-Monk Guy, Lvl 4

STR 10 DEX 7 STA 5 CON 10 WIS 6 CHA 2

Planned Upcoming Challenge: Kata.

Hello and welcome. I am also an injury-prone monk. I suspect there's a pattern relating to people who love martial arts and a general ability to collect new and exciting forms of pain. Pop on over to monks anytime you wanna chat about injuries. Or anytime at all.

thanks a bunch!

and yeah. I'd definitely agree with you on that pattern lol.

• Like 1

My Current Challenge

Welcome Romse :-)  Do you have a regular stretching routine?  That does help with cutting down on some of the joint strain that can contribute to injury.

thanks :) my wing chun classes incorporate a lot of stretching, but that is new to me I didnt spend a lot of time on it before. Coincidence that I havent gotten hurt yet with the wing chun? not sure :) 

My Current Challenge

So i did record my measurements on monday, I will post the delta next monday. I've also been tracking food completely for the past two days. And ive completed 1 martial arts class, 1 rock climbing adventure, and 1 pullup workout. yay me!

For now, heres the mini quest answers

Here are some questions to put your goals to the test:

2. Is your overall quest achievable (over a short or long period of time)?  Is it reasonable?

​My overall goal is to loose weight and be stronger. Its a longer goal, but totally reasonable because it is controllable via eating and exercise habits.
  4. Do your 3 quests all build towards your main quest in little ways, or are you taking on too much? Do your quests have sub-quests or is it just one thing to focus on?​
  5. My three quests are 1) consistency, 2) strength building, and 3) habit building and analysis. They all supplement my main goal of loosing weight (becoming consistent) and strength building (stronger). Two are pretty specific(finish a challenge,log food everyday). so I dont feel they have sub-quests. The third (pullup) is pretty much sub-quested, with martial arts practice, rock climbing, and pullup training goals.

1. Are your main goals realistic? Can you scale them to smaller steps to fit your life better, even if it will make it take a little longer to achieve them?

2. The only goal that might not be achievable is the pullup, but completing the sub-quests of consistent martial arts pracice, rock climbing, and pullup practice will be an achievement within itself and i will still be proud to finish those.

2. Are your goals able to be measured and tracked?  What will you use to track them

3. I am using fitbit to track everything. (daily food, weight and measurements, and activity)

2. How are you grading your goals?  Are they pass/fail (“every dayâ€, “not even once over the six weeksâ€)?  Is there a reward for the effort, or are you only grading yourself on whether or not you “lose the weight†or “run the distanceâ€?

3. My goals are broken down into grades A,B, and C. they're not pass/fail, and the reward for attempting them is still pretty awesome: proving to myself that i can be consistent (even if i miss a few) is a reward in itself.

1. What is your plan for continuing/altering/grading those goals if you become ill or injured?

2. The only goal that will be affected if ill/injured is the pullup goal. And that can be altered by scaling back the sub-quests into more reasonable, smaller chunks of work.

1. Did you take into consideration any special occasions (Labour Day, Independence Day, birthdays, anniversaries, etc) that may occur during the challenge?  What modifications do you need to build into your goals for those?

2. Luckily, special occasions wont really affect my goals. 

1. Do any of your main goals conflict with each other? Will one goal make it hard to do another?

2. No

1. Do you already have the time in your schedule to actually complete the goals you’ve set?  If not, what are you planning to do to make time for them?

2. I do have time.

1. Are you trying to build multiple habits, or is all your energy focused on your main quest?

2. They are all focused on the main quest, so I think its okay :)

My Current Challenge

so week one was actually pretty good. I logged every darn thing i ate (accurately), and interestingly enough, the scale followed it pretty much exactly. neat how that works ;)

I got one martial arts workout in, two rock climbings, and three pullup practices (a few sets of assisted pullups). I'm pretty happy with that.

I also paid off 500$ on my credit card, and 400$ on my line of credit. I spent a bit on my credit card this weekend, but thats because i was christmas shopping online, so i paid it off immediately. 

For this week's mini challenge, I've updated my signature. Now to go find two other newbies to follow. yay one week down!

• Like 1

My Current Challenge

Yay for tracking!! It makes such a big difference for me, too. Glad to hear you've gone on so many fitness-related adventures! Keep up to awesome work!

Lvl 3 Wood Elf Adventurer

STR 9.25 || DEX 5 || STA 3 || CON 9.75 || WIS 12.75 || CHA 2

Challenges: Current || #1 || #2 || #3 || Artistic & Creative Accountability || Etsy Shop

It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye. --The Fox in The Little Prince

Walk to Mordor // 116 out of 1779 miles

Greetings prospective Monk-in-training!

Blaidd may have you guys hopping with your introductory mini-challenges to help you organize your goals and get you used to life in the Rebellion.  But we monks are a social bunch and we need your help.  Yes, you young go-getter!

Part of the Monk's Week 3 mini-challenge is to list one thing you are thankful for.  That sounds fairly normal for this time of year, but we are nerds and we have to nerd it up.  Each Monk (or Monk-in-training) is recording what number he or she falls at in the record of posting and uses the corresponding letter of the alphabet to give thanks.  

To give you an idea, here's what I wrote.

SevenFootGeek:  6

F - I am thankful for my Friends, who are the family I wasn't born with.

Help us fill out the entire alphabet!  And if we get all the way to Z, let's loop back around again!

Half-Giant Monk

current challenge

"Promote yourself, but do not demote another." Yisroel Salanter