Granny Nogg's Challenge

Sorry to hear about your injury, but it sounds to me like you are handling it precisely like you need to - adjust the goals and heal! No point in doing further damage. Cardio boxing DOES sound fun. I bet you'll look like the toughest lady there, cardio boxing with your wrist brace on. 

I hope you're having a great day 2! 

SHAEON

Jedi Apprentice

Druid Character Sheet

Daily Battle Log: Shaeon Restores Balance to the Force

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Current Challenge: Shaeon Focuses

"With great boots comes great responsibility."

Sorry to hear about your injury, but it sounds to me like you are handling it precisely like you need to - adjust the goals and heal! No point in doing further damage. Cardio boxing DOES sound fun. I bet you'll look like the toughest lady there, cardio boxing with your wrist brace on. 

I hope you're having a great day 2! 

LOL well it probably does look pretty badass to do cardio boxing with a wrist brace, but only my living room sees it!  (Now regretting not signing up for the gym, darn, I should be showing off that brace, right?  ::wink::)  Nah I'm a nerd so of course my cardio boxing is part of a program for my xbox kinect.  One benefit of using that program is that I can whoop and hollar when I'm having a good time, and yell "No more *@#%( squats!!"  when I'm not.  :D

Glad to hear you are adapting your challenge to account for your injury.  It's important to do so because you don't want to make it take longer to heal by taking on too much!

I'm chafin' at the bit on this one, girlie.  You'll see in a minute from my exercise below. 

Challenge 1, Day 2

Okay so yesterday, it was just hella busy.  AGAIN.  I got up early to try and get a jump start on my job, because I have meetings on Tuesday nights (I'm a volunteer with a 12-step recovery program).  I'm also trying to keep up with my goals of good participation here, etc.  Just imagine that old tyme Vaudeville act where the guy runs back and forth across a stage keeping a bunch of plates spinning on sticks.  That'd be me.  

Not one, but two sets of kids and spouses and grandkids stopped by unannounced to say hello and hang out yesterday!  Love them dearly, but I was also supposed to be working.  I have codependency issues, so my old way of behaving was to drop what I'm doing and go hang out with them whenever they showed up, but internally I would resent the intrusion and resent the extra work stress it put on me.  That behavior and feelings aren't healthy or balanced.  So I hugged them all after a few minutes and said 'I gotta get back to work'.  Now it's not like I'm abandoning them or kicking them out.  They know they're welcome to come down to my studio and hang out with me there, while I work, so really the only one who's still struggling with this boundary is me.

My wrist is better.  My shoulder is not.  I'd worn a brace to bed Monday night, and because I was probably trying to protect my wrist all night while I slept, I woke up yesterday with a spasming muscle in my shoulder of the same arm. Which is still here, in spite of naproxen and acetaminophen and a muscle rub cream.  So it made today's workout really suck.  I'm probably gonna have to use some of my muscle relaxer.  I'm just not my usual cheerful self because I'm in some pain and feeling inconvenienced and betrayed by my own body.  I was so excited to attack those challenge goals, and now this.  

But I won't give in to feeling defeat and quitting.  I can deal and I will deal with it and I will get my head back in the right place.  

Today's Workout:

3 sets of 11 squats (up from 3 sets of 10)

3 sets of 10 fingertip wall push-ups (brace ON, and going very slowly and carefully so that my wrist doesn't rotate.  There was no pain)

3 sets of 6 lunges per leg (up from 3 sets of 5)

3 sets of 10 dumbbell rows (brace ON, done slowly and carefully for correct positioning and movement)

3 sets of 11 second planks (up from 3 sets of 10 sec)

3 sets of 30 jacks (without jumping... that made my spasming shoulder muscle hurt.  So I did the arm movements without jumping)

So I made myself make at least some progress toward my goals and to work around the bum wrist issue and the sore shoulder issue.  I didn't do cardio boxing yesterday, because I was so busy.  But that gave my wrist and shoulder a little bit of rest before working them again today.  

Tonight I'll get my cardio in by going dancing.  I love to dance and looking forward to that instead of focusing on my pain is going to help get my head back in the right place. 

• Like 2

Granny Nogg - Level 10 Warrior

Battle Log| Challenge 8 |Challenge 9 | Challenge 10

My Job | My Epic Quest | Instagram

"Those are not my monkeys."

I will, Stillskies. I feel better tonight than I did this morning (go go endorphins from dancing!). Tomorrow morning I'll do more dancing along with you tube videos or cardio boxing or both.

Sent from my Samsung S4 using Tapatalk.

• Like 2

You may want to try some self massage for the shoulder. The easiest way is a tennis or lacrosse ball on the wall or a foam roller. It may be painful but I find it very helpful it work out the kinks.

Assassin

Battle Log | MFP: Amdhiel
Challenges: Current#7#6, #5, #4,
#3, #2, #1

"Why do we fall sir? So that we can learn to pick ourselves up." Alfred - Batman Begins

Hang in there with your injury. I broke my clavicle this summer and it has taken so long to recover. It's frustrating but you can do it!

Hi, Madambones. How in the world did you break your clavicle? Ouch!!

You may want to try some self massage for the shoulder. The easiest way is a tennis or lacrosse ball on the wall or a foam roller. It may be painful but I find it very helpful it work out the kinks.

Basically doing that but using a hubby for massage. :) but I like the tennis ball suggestion, and I don't mind if it hurts. Gonna try that! Thanks.

• Like 1

Basically doing that but using a hubby for massage. :) but I like the tennis ball suggestion, and I don't mind if it hurts. Gonna try that! Thanks.

It hurts less when someone else does it for you but it's also harder to find the exact right spots. Let me know how it works out. :D

Assassin

Battle Log | MFP: Amdhiel
Challenges: Current#7#6, #5, #4,
#3, #2, #1

"Why do we fall sir? So that we can learn to pick ourselves up." Alfred - Batman Begins

It hurts less when someone else does it for you but it's also harder to find the exact right spots. Let me know how it works out. :D

Well, between the muscle relaxer and his massage last night, I'm much better today-- thank you:)  It's not an uncommon issue for me (hence the take-as-needed ongoing prescription for the muscle relaxer).  And I appreciate the suggestions and just general encouragement!

• Like 1

Hi, Madambones. How in the world did you break your clavicle? Ouch!!

I fell off a mountain bike. It wasn't as dramatic as it sounds. I was almost at a standstill and the bike slid in the mud😕. Actually the fracture wasn't bad until 10 days later when it separated about an inch. That hurt like a sob and then had to have surgery. Nice, humbling experience that makes me appreciate good health!
  • Like 1

I fell off a mountain bike. It wasn't as dramatic as it sounds. I was almost at a standstill and the bike slid in the mud. Actually the fracture wasn't bad until 10 days later when it separated about an inch. That hurt like a sob and then had to have surgery. Nice, humbling experience that makes me appreciate good health!

All I can say is, wow.  WOW.  Okay, and yeah I can see how humbling that can be!  Yikes.  Well, good for you for taking a high road, and looking back at the experience as a learning opportunity (humility and gratitude) rather than being resentful about it.  

On an entirely different note regarding my Life Quest:  I'm making progress toward that online class video that's due in 3 weeks, and the girls who are running the craft site made me a video on youtube.  Simple little animoto-style slideshow but still, I'm grinning ear to ear right now.  

• Like 1

Baseballs also work. I have also used my little EOS chapstick ball to work out kinks in my thigh. Basically, hard and roundish. 

• Like 2

CHALLENGES: CURRENT111098765432, 1

📷 📚

Today was a good day. I got alot accomplished work-wise (no drop in visits) and put in a 12 hour day. It's a very leisurely pace with regular breaks though so it's probably like 9 hours of solid work. I figure if I can get about 15 more of those in the next 4 weeks, I'll hit my life goals for this challenge.

Went dancing last night and it reminded me how much I missed it. Hubby and I had been doing ballroom, salsa, and country line dancing about a year ago, but we got really busy so we stopped. Went back to line dancing last Saturday, had a total blast, so went to class on Wednesday.

Which helps my cardio, cuz you try dancing Thunderfoot 4x in a row and try not breaking out in a sweat! Not gonna happen.

Food.... Well, I didn't keep a lid on it today. Gotta rein that back in tomorrow.

Okay! That's about it for today!

• Like 1

Dancing is great cardio depending on the sort of dancing you do!  I spent a long time competing in ballroom.  I mostly did the Standard 5, though I did do one competition in Latin as well.  I also used to go to salsa clubs in college......

Anyway, dancing is the best!  I'm so happy to see how well you're doing despite setbacks.  That's the true Assassin spirit!  And the true Cutlass spirit as well~

• Like 2

🎪current challenge🎪

challenge archive: 19181716 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

instagram | goodreads

"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." - Voltaire

Omg I just tried the tennis ball. HURT SO GOOD! Thanks again for that suggestion!

• Like 1

Dancing is great cardio depending on the sort of dancing you do! I spent a long time competing in ballroom. I mostly did the Standard 5, though I did do one competition in Latin as well. I also used to go to salsa clubs in college......

Anyway, dancing is the best! I'm so happy to see how well you're doing despite setbacks. That's the true Assassin spirit! And the true Cutlass spirit as well~

True on the type of cardio! If it isn't giving you an elevated hr for 20 minutes it really isn't doing the job. But step counts go through the roof, so win!

Just getting my workout on. Push push pull pull!! Gonna be a good day.

• Like 2

And it was a good day. :)

Challenge 1, day 5

3 sets 11 squats

3 sets 10 wall push ups (plus some later)

3 sets 6 lunges per leg

3 sets 10 dumbbell rows

3 sets 11 second plank

3 sets 30 jumping jacks

Awesome work day, 4 orders or the door, and 3 more in final stages. Helped hubby put new brake shoes on the car. Memorized the line dance for Men In Black. Ate Zuppa Toscana for dinner. Watched Gotham and SHIELD. Just a very nice day.

• Like 2

Hi there Cat! Fellow Cutlass checking in, a little late to the party! Sounds like you've had an up and down first week but no doubt you'll finish strong. Good job on working your goals around your injury.

Keep on dancing!

giphy.gif

• Like 4

Current: Assassins / Instagram

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 
CANCELLED! Spartan Trifecta: Beast: 18-APR / Super :11-JUL / Sprint: 12-JUL

Summer Nuts: 5/6-SEPT / Nuclear Blast: 12-SEPT / Nuclear team race: 04-OCT 

"You have the heart of a Rebel"

"I'll take that as a compliment"

Omg I just tried the tennis ball. HURT SO GOOD! Thanks again for that suggestion!

That tennis ball technique is awesome. The ex was a massage therapist and passed on a lot of little self-massage techniques like this to me. I actually keep a tennis ball at my desk at work for just such an emergency. 

And yay on dancing! I believe we've talked about how much I like to go out dancing. Great exercise and a great way to spend the evening! 

Way to go on your first week, it looks like you've been adapting well to exercising around your injury and making it work! Wooo!

SHAEON

Jedi Apprentice

Druid Character Sheet

Daily Battle Log: Shaeon Restores Balance to the Force

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Current Challenge: Shaeon Focuses

"With great boots comes great responsibility."

Hi there Cat! Fellow Cutlass checking in, a little late to the party! Sounds like you've had an up and down first week but no doubt you'll finish strong. Good job on working your goals around your injury.

Keep on dancing!

giphy.gif

Gif awesomeness!!  Ha!  Thanks for stopping by, Charlie.  :)

That tennis ball technique is awesome. The ex was a massage therapist and passed on a lot of little self-massage techniques like this to me. I actually keep a tennis ball at my desk at work for just such an emergency. 

And yay on dancing! I believe we've talked about how much I like to go out dancing. Great exercise and a great way to spend the evening! 

Way to go on your first week, it looks like you've been adapting well to exercising around your injury and making it work! Wooo!

Yeah I was just thinking about that tennis ball again tonight.  My shoulder is still bothering me, so that tells me I need a chiropractic adjustment.  But the ball helps get me through until then.

We went out dancing with friends last night, the band wasn't really all that good so kinda disappointing.  But the friends said they'd go with us again, so at least they weren't put off by the experience.  They said they used to go line dancing years back, and that it looked fun.  Also we found out that the club gives couples lessons, so we're gonna try to hit those when we can.

You mentioned my first week, and I'll use that as a segue into my week 1 summary: 

Challenge 1, week 1 summary

Looking back, did I meet my goals for the week?

--Quest 1: working out 3x this week, check.  Increasing reps by 1: check.  Making adjustments for wrist injury: check.  

--Quest 2:  Post in the forums every day: 6 out of 7.  I think expecting a daily posting may be too ambitious.  I am thinking backing the minimum down to 3x a week, knowing likely I'll post more than that.  But making it a bit more achievable might be wise.  Join an Accountabilibuddies group:  done.  

--Quest 3:  Eat paleo at least 5 days a week: meh, I only did half.  Still fighting carb creep!  Some weeks I do better than others, and this one not so much.  8 glasses of water a day:  yeah not.  Again, some weeks I do better.  Getting to bed before 11: yes, although staying up reading until 12:30 a couple times isn't doing me any good!  Post progress photos: check.  I would say that I still think these items on Quest 3 are critical to do, and I know I'm capable of doing them, so I don't know if they're too ambitious.  I just need to do a better job of reaching out instead of reaching for a treat, and drinking water when my app notification goes off instead of ignoring it. 

--Life Quest: spend 6 hours a day/4 days a week in the studio:  NO.  Still struggling with that.  Just had a LOT of visitors this week.  5 hours working on video:  Nope.  Now I did THINK about it.  But if I don't get my arse in gear I'm gonna miss my deadline and that's unacceptable.  These life goals are non-negotiable so I have to get some serious focus going here. 

• Like 2

Also, if you'd like to have a better idea of what the different members of the guild are working on in this challenge, you can take a look at the Assassin Phonebook.

I was kinda on the fence about joining the Assassins until I read the phonebook. Very cool. If I join, could I add disc golf (my sport)?

• Like 1