Darkfoxx 14: Insert Something Witty Here

original.jpg

Week 1 Day 3 Update

Goal 1:  Fitness

Like always. Since I'm trying to claw my way out of a little motivation slump at the beginning of this challenge, I think I'll focus on building the toolkit of cool shit I want to be able to do. And I have a 5-miler to train-ish for on Thanksgiving.

Floors were still unoperational and I was at my wits freaking end with the dog this afternoon, so the hubbs suggested that I join Planet Fitness anyways - even though the gym in our building will supposedly be open in 4 - 7 weeks (haven't I been hearing that since April?). The worst we are out is $20 if I hate it. 

So, he signed me up and I went. And I didn't die. Did 15 minutes on the elliptical, rows & sumo squats with free weights, 15 minutes on the bike & dips + ab work on the bench. 

I eyeballed the ladies at the squat rack & watched a woman doing a crazy awesome workout involving a bar on her shoulders + lunges in all directions. I may be able to piece together enough equipment to work for me there - I'm not into the machines, but yay free weights & squat racks. 

Goal 2: Metrics

Metrics make me happy and they work for me, so I'm sticking with them. 

Breakfast: DH's green smoothie with hemp protein powder + coffee with almond milk + extra coffee

Lunch: Jerky and a Cashew Spice Kind bar

The 'I Didn't Really Eat Lunch' Snack: Thai lime & chili cashews

Dinner: Ground beef with guacamole my hubbs made because I was out gym-ing

Snack: More Thai lime & chili cashews & a stroopwaffel

Calories: 1,477 out of 1500

Carbs: 72 out of 100g

Fat: 89 out of 100g

Protein: 110 out of 70 g

Water: 64 out of 64oz.

Weight: 118 

Calories In vs. Out: 1477 In v 1610 Out 

Sleep: 8 hours & 54 minutes - awake 0x, restless 12x

Activity: 24 (very active minutes) 2.53 (miles) 6,182 (steps)

Goal 3: Other Shit

Reduce Household Crap

Keep Attempting IRL social

Work on knitting scarf

Continue streamlining & fixing wardrobe

Get rid of the clothes I've decided I'm going to donate

Did I work toward any of these goals today? I may not have gotten anything clean, but I did knit a bit again today.

• Like 2

PF is actually $10 a month (at least in my area), with a $10 signing fee - they might not have all the bells & whistles (though they *do* have both free weights and a squat rack), but they're a hell of a lot cheaper than the other biggie near me - Crunch. Crunch has battle ropes, kettelbells, classes & monkey bars - but they're like $80 a month. 

PF will work to at least get me in some rapid movements until the building gym opens up - I can't run in the park I like to visit in the dark (it's hella skeevy + pre-teens are now playing a come up and punch you in the face game, apparently); and I don't want to run up a crowded street the two miles to a different park I don't feel safe going into in the dark (my hubbs' suggestion). We shall see if I can actually force myself to get on the treadmill - I forced myself to do the bike despite butt numbness, and that didn't kill me - tread milling a mile probably won't do me in, either. And maybe I can do some Zombies. 

It is .. and I really, really needed to get out of the house and away from the dog situation for awhile -- it was a much needed mental break. And it's funny how something so small - an hour at the gym + the hubby making dinner - restored my capacity to deal with shit. 

• Like 2

1bb946e1525862c453504a4fd95fcad9.jpg

Week 1 Day 4 Update

Like always. Since I'm trying to claw my way out of a little motivation slump at the beginning of this challenge, I think I'll focus on building the toolkit of cool shit I want to be able to do. And I have a 5-miler to train-ish for on Thanksgiving.

Ummmmm ... no. The hubbs had a tattoo appointment (that actually didn't end up panning out), and I was in no kind of mental/emotional shape to concentrate on yoga class.

I finally took the dog to the vet today. $300 and a conversation about the right time to consider euthanasia later, we left with some doggie opiates for his continuing leg issues and some anti-diarreah medicine to plug him up a bit. They're doing labs to see what caused the digestive issues. And it turns out that the poor guy has the early stages of cataracts in both eyes.

But in good news, it looks like this medicine has done some good - the hubbs and I finally slept through the night (not the night reported below - that night was freaking terrible). 

Breakfast: DH's green smoothie with hemp protein powder + coffee with almond milk + extra coffee

Lunch: Leftover chicken/broccoli/carrot stir-fry

Dinner: Roast pork loin with turnips, butternut squash, apple & onion

Snack: Thai lime & chili cashews, a pear with almond butter & a stroopwaffel - I am happy that we are now finally out of stroopwaffels & officially out of the snacks we bought in Scotland - like a year ago (two years?)

Calories: 1,367 out of 1500

Carbs: 99 out of 100g

Fat: 70 out of 100g

Protein: 98 out of 70 g

Weight: 119.3 ^ 

Calories In vs. Out: 1422 In v 1474 Out 

Sleep: 8 hours & 14 minutes - awake 4x, restless 23x

Activity: 6 (very active minutes) 1.26 (miles) 3,110 (steps)

Reduce Household Crap

Work on knitting scarf

Did I work toward any of these goals today? Nope, though I did clean the office/kitchen/dog disaster area a bit. And by cleaning, I mean I configured a better barricade and put the trash threatening to take over my desk into a bag. Which is sitting on top of the barricade. 

• Like 1

Lol that cat scares me...even though it's probably only like 5 inches tall. 

Hah totally get being relieved to be out of that stuff which is not healthy but don't want to throw out because...waste.

Glad your dog seems to be doing a bit better, that sounds so stressful! Sending healthy/relaxing brainwaves your way.

15-best-cat-memes-ever-meow--3283dd863e.

Week 1 Days 5-7 Update & Week 1 Wrapup

Friday was a bust - ended up working late; Saturday I walked around in the cold looking for a new book club hangout; and Sunday I wandered the BK Flea Holiday Shops and checking that neighborhood out. Not a lot of working out, per se, but at least I got some walking in. 

Week 1 Update: I got just about jack and shit done here this week. I let the dog drama run my life for most of the week, only escaping when it was flee or start throwing animals out the house; and then work was crazy busy and I ended up having to work late. Crappy excuses, I know, but that's what I'm sticking with. 

Friday

Breakfast: 2 hard boiled eggs & 7-11 coffee

Lunch: Leftover bacon-wrapped butternut squash & pork chop

Dinner: Ordered delivery burgers - had an "Italian" burger with pesto & some parmesan

Snack: 1 apple with almond butter

Calories: 1,533 out of 1500

Carbs: 38 out of 100g

Fat: 107 out of 100g

Protein: 101 out of 70 g

Water: ?? out of 64oz.

Weight: 118.8 

Calories In vs. Out: 1533 In v 1379 Out 

Sleep: 9 hours & 0 minutes - awake 0x, restless 10x

Activity: 5 (very active minutes) 0.82 (miles) 2,039 (steps)

Saturday

Breakfast: Brunch out - had a Chinese scallion pancake with Chinese sausage & black coffee to mitigate the damage

Lunch: Skipped

Dinner: Ordered Delivery Thai - had chicken tom yum soup, two shrimp & chicken dumplings, and chicken larb 

Snack: An almond milk honey & cinnamon latte

Calories: 1,015 out of 1500

Carbs: 69 out of 100g

Fat: 32 out of 100g

Protein: 79 out of 70 g

Weight: 117.3

Calories In vs. Out: 1015 In v 1982 Out 

Sleep: 7 hours & 58 minutes - awake 1x, restless 17x

Activity: 79 (very active minutes) 5.73 (miles) 14,191 (steps)

Sunday

Breakfast: 7-11 coffee & a ramen burger

Lunch: Skipped

Dinner: Brooklyn uncured hotdogs + kraut + broccolini from the deli + microwaved potato chips & half a bottle of cider

Calories: 1,160 out of 1500

Carbs: 71 out of 100g

Fat: 67 out of 100g

Protein: 65 out of 70 g

Weight: 118.4 ^ 

Calories In vs. Out: 1160 In v 1758 Out 

Sleep: 6 hours & 45 minutes - awake 2x, restless 11x

Activity: 59 (very active minutes) 4.05 (miles) 10,001 (steps)

Week 1 Update: I really wasn't as far out of line as I thought I was here. I felt like I let the week beat me up, but the only day with any red was Friday, and that was because burgers are fattening .... 

Reduce Household Crap

Work on knitting scarf

Did I work toward any of these goals this weekend? I did a little knitting this weekend and that was about all I had the energy for.  

Week 1 Update: I did so-so on this goal this week. I knitted a bit, but really haven't gotten much else done. 

Week 1 Wrap-up: This week wasn't the strongest start I've ever had. I had a metric ton of dog drama to deal with (which continues), and I let it kick my ass a bit. 

• Like 1

cat-meme.jpg

Week 2 Day 1 Update

Despite this absolutely, positively being a Monday, I still made it to the gym. And visited my old nemesis, the treadmill. I attempted this cardio routine:

Print it Cardio: 20-Minute Treadmill Workout

<table style="width:100%"><tr>    <td>Time</td>    <td>Speed</td>     <td>Incline</td><td>Notes</td>  </tr>  <tr>    <td>00:00 — 03:00</td>    <td>3.8</td>     <td>1.0</td><td>Warmup</td>  </tr><tr>    <td>03:00 — 05:00</td>    <td>4.3</td>     <td>2.5</td>  </tr><tr>    <td>05:00 — 07:00</td>    <td>4.8</td>     <td>3.0</td>  </tr><tr>    <td>07:00 — 09:00</td>    <td>5.0</td>     <td>4.5</td>  </tr><tr>    <td>09:00 — 11:00</td>    <td>5.8</td>     <td>6.0</td>  </tr><tr>    <td>11:00 — 13:00</td>    <td>5.0</td>     <td>4.5</td>  </tr><tr>    <td>13:00 — 15:00</td>    <td>4.8</td>     <td>3.0</td>  </tr><tr>    <td>15:00 — 17:00</td>    <td>4.5</td>     <td>2.5</td>  </tr><tr>    <td>17:00 — 20:00</td>    <td>3.5</td>     <td>1.0</td><td>Cooldown</td>  </tr></table>

But didn't entirely make it. I had to take some breaks during the heaviest parts for water/to not die, but I at least finished it - and tacked on two minutes plus a full 5-minute cool-down. And then I did 3 sets of 15 reps with 50 lbs weight on the hip adductor and abductor machines. I figured those machines wouldn't really jack anything up - they're just a nice workout for my stiff-ass hips. 

This morning, (Tuesday), the hubby left the pull-up bar up after his workout and I did a chin-up from my tippy-toes with as much jump as that provides and no band. Soooooooo close to a full one!! I got halfway up on a pull-up from my tippy-toes, too. And I freaked my arm tendon out in the process. Hopefully tonight's weights routine at the gym won't further that injury. 

Breakfast: DH's green smoothie with hemp protein powder + coffee with coconut milk

Lunch: Late & kinda sad desk lunch of salmon & avocado riceless sushi roll + 5 pcs of nigiri sushi in honor of my mother's birthday

Dinner: Pork chops with butternut squash mash & collards with onions

Snack: Thai lime & chili cashews

Calories: 1,180 out of 1500

Carbs: 112 out of 100g

Fat: 57 out of 100g

Protein: 80 out of 70 g

Weight: 118.4 ^ 

Calories In vs. Out: 1557 In v 1563 Out

Sleep: FitBit died; couldn't track sleep

Activity: 29 (very active minutes) 2.57 (miles) 5,857 (steps)

Reduce Household Crap

Work on knitting scarf

Did I work toward any of these goals today? Nopety, nope-nope. Thought about scarf-ing, but really didn't feel like it. Also on the list of shit I need to do: holiday cards. I think I know what I want to do, but I'm not 100% sure how I'm going to do it. This year's card *may* involve origami. And glitter. Really hoping the list is small again this year. 

Of all of my NF friends, I knew *you* would appreciate the pretty code :)

Forums are frustrating - why give me buttons and code snippet injection sites if they're not going to work? #firstworldproblems #whine

:D yeah, I don't understand why the options are there but don't work. Even if you translate it all into BBcode it doesn't work.

Perhaps we could toss that in the "broken plz fix" box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MM-cats-meow-blue3.jpg

Week 2 Day 2 Update

Another successful gym day. I did two rounds of ten sets each of this 'Best Dumbbell Arm Exercises' workout from PopSugar with 5 and 10 lb. weights. 

Sumo Squat with Bicep Curls

Upright Row

Overhead Triceps Extensions

Bent Over Row

Bent Over Reverse Fly

Bicep Curl and Overhead Press

Single Leg Scarecrow

Lateral Arm Raise

Pilates Boxer

Reverse Lunge and Press

Skull Crushers

Lying Chest Fly

Followed by some ab machines - I did the crunch machine, the back machine (with 110 lb. weights), reverse straight leg crunches on the hold yourself up by handles thing, an ab twisty machine, and decline crunches + twists. Generally, sets of 20 of each possible combo of things on the machine (the ab twisty had forward, and both oblique options); sometimes multiple sets, but I wasn't keeping track. I felt all BAMFy with my straight leg crunches -- ooh, and I helped someone learn how to do barbell squats. A couple was over by the free weights when I was selecting my tools, and the guy goes 'ask her; she looks like she knows what she's doing' ----- WHAAAT?! I LOOK LIKE I KNOW WHAT I'M DOING???!!! How The F Did That Happen? And Ummmmm..... Thanks, Dude. So, I showed the girl how to do a proper squat and loaded up a form video for what she was trying to do, since it's not something I've actually done before. Yays. 

Breakfast: DH's green smoothie with hemp protein powder + coffee with coconut milk

Lunch: Leftover pork loin with roasted butternut squash/turnips/onions/apples

Dinner: Leftover pulled pork with delicata squash, pomegranate arils & pecorino

Snack: Thai lime & chili cashews

Calories: 987 out of 1500. Oh. I had no idea my calories were so low today - I wasn't running around starving, either. 

Carbs: 46 out of 100g

Fat: 50 out of 100g

Protein: 83 out of 70 g

Weight: 118.4 - 

Calories In vs. Out: 987 In v 1508 Out

Sleep: 7 hours & 50 minutes - awake 0x, restless 7x

Activity: 12 (very active minutes) 1.64 (miles) 3,913 (steps)

Reduce Household Crap

Work on knitting scarf

Did I work toward any of these goals today? Also, no. Hubby worked yesterday evening, so I curled up on the couch and caught up on Haven & Project Runway Allstars. 

-- ooh, and I helped someone learn how to do barbell squats. A couple was over by the free weights when I was selecting my tools, and the guy goes 'ask her; she looks like she knows what she's doing' ----- WHAAAT?! I LOOK LIKE I KNOW WHAT I'M DOING???!!! How The F Did That Happen? And Ummmmm..... Thanks, Dude. So, I showed the girl how to do a proper squat and loaded up a form video for what she was trying to do, since it's not something I've actually done before. Yays. 

You're now like a role model in the gym. Woot!

• Like 1

o-EXERCISING-WITH-CATS-facebook.jpg

Week 2 Day 3 Update

I got about 3/4 of the way through this standing abs workout. 

Lunch: Leftover pulled pork/delicata squash/pomegranate/pecorino/arugula salad

Dinner: Semi disappointing pulled cranberry beef with cauli mash

Snack: Crispin hard cider 

Calories: 987 out of 1500. Oh. I had no idea my calories were so low today - I wasn't running around starving, either. 

Carbs: 46 out of 100g

Fat: 50 out of 100g

Protein: 83 out of 70 g

Weight: 117.4 v

Calories In vs. Out: 1367 In v 1545 Out

Sleep: 10 hours & 57 minutes - awake 4x, restless 19x

Activity: 27 (very active minutes) 2.16 (miles) 5,336 (steps)

Reduce Household Crap

Work on knitting scarf

Did I work toward any of these goals today? Nope. I went to a talk on the history of pumpkin pie instead and food nerded out while the poor hubbs kind of fell asleep. 

• Like 1

Oh heyyyyy! Fancy gym-going lady!

I totally missed the fact that you switched threads, but it looks like you're doing awesome :D and kicking butt in the gym. Mmmmm gym it is my happy place, and so conveniently not covered in dog poo!

And at least for me I'm far less likely to bail 1/2 way through a workout at the gym since I already drove my arse there, unlike at home with my couch tempting me with every squat.

And ladies helping ladies! You probably just made that woman's day, and since she had help she's probably way more likely to continue. Rad!

• Like 2

Hi, all. Sorry I kinda flaked the last half of last week - I was dealing with the decision to and aftermath of putting my grumpy old man down. He went Friday in a hail of glory (read: pancakes & sausages, a burger & fries + a concrete with peanut butter). Adjusting now to the Nambu-Sized hole in our lives. 

Here's my grampus if you're interested:

ds35577.jpg

And a link to the melodramatic memorial post I worked up. 

Week 2 Wrapup:

Goal 1

Didn't get all my workouts in, but I prioritized spending some of the limited time my guy had left with him instead of the gym, and I can't dock myself for that. 

Goal 2

My food was ok through the week ... and then the weekend happened. Friday's food was fatty but not the worst in the world; Saturday I barely ate and drank a shit ton of gin & tonics at book club; and Sunday I feel like all I had was sugar & carbs - had 2 1-pump Starbucks lattes, Indian for dinner (with half an order of rice + half a naan), and generally went waaayyyy over on everything. 

I needed the night out with drinks, dammit, so I'm not getting terribly pissed at myself there. 

Goal 3

Lol. No. I did not shit. We did, however, purge dog things. And my wonderful DH cleaned up all the long black hairs + steam mopped the floor in half the apartment while I was gone. 

Grading for this week is a pass. 

Ummm ..... apparently my FitBit was acting weird all weekend. I got a FitBit party on my wrist when I crossed 10,000 steps yesterday -- but that info didn't make it onto the FitBit site. Says I walked 6 steps yesterday and not a lot the day before, and I know I did. Poo.