Tialoredron Thrashes The Tainted Trash; Transcends To The Top To Triumph This Thing That's Toppling The Throes This Time To Take The Time To Trip The

Tialoredron

Trials, The Tribulations.

Alliteration, as always, an abstract aptitude allows anyone awaiting an awesome acknowledgment at any altitude an absolute application acquired ages ago after acing all applicable areas.

K...I think I am done now...

Anywho, back to the challenges after a leave of absence; I had taken leave as I had lost my path to level 50 and searched for it again.  I had found that I really do enjoy these challenges, and look forward to accomplishing life goals again.  Listed below was my Level 50 Goals as a project in works:

Main Quests:

Work out to improve overall health

Document and Improve PR's of weighted workouts

Improve Running: 5k [3.27 miles 26:30-ish on 19 November 2014; 30:05 on 9 June 2014]; 10k, 1/2 marathon

Ruck 20 miles in full battle weight

Become proficient with weapons: Bow, Hand Gun, Long arms (rifle, shotgun, etc)

Learn a martial Art; Learn a sword style

Learn a second language

Learn a third language

Earn a Master's Degree

Dive Florida Keys; Australia/Great Barrier Reef; Japan

This past month, I realized finances are pretty darn important as most of those quests will cost money (through acquiring and instructions).  I thought I had my finances under control, but I have recently reached my max credit on my credit card and it gave me the heebie-jeebies to make some adjustments

A bit of backstory; I had a roommate who was supplying some income and was able to pay for himself (or so I considered).  For one reason or another, lost the job and no longer had that income.  Being the nice guy I am, I tried to continue affording our cost of living while he searched for another job.  30 days later, I know I couldn't bear the burden and had to kick him out (no hard feelings on either side; roommate is currently living with someone else while he continues looking for a job). 

I also purchased tickets to attend  my college roommate's wedding (who invited me as his Best Man) and didn't really have the "emergency/slush fund" to pay for it.

Between those two, I am sure I will be swinging my finances back on the right side of the track, but I want to actually take the nerd approach to my financial issues this challenge; and I also need to clean the house. With that, this six week challenge now comes into play

6 Week Quest

Fitness:

Gym Workouts 2x/week with Bodyweight workout 1x/week

If failed, Bodyweight workout replacement

Aerobic Workout 2x/week

Life:

Build budget spreadsheet of at least three months prior to analyze finances

Pay off as much debt as possible [Credit Card > Student Loan > Car Loan > Personal Loan]

Clean all rooms of house [2 bedrooms a complete mess; 1 bedroom, living/dining, kitchen, and 2.5 bath need maintenance]

For this challenge I am willing to sacrifice my workouts for my life goals, as I am stressing too much over my finances.

I am not comfortable reporting the minute details of my finances online, but I will say that the debt tier is in order of percent interest (Credit card with highest and Personal Loan with lowest interest rate).

I have already made steps forward in controlling my finances [kicking out the roommate; unfortunate, but needed to be done; and I have also canceled my Satellite TV service as I no longer watch TV with the exception of Netflix (100/month > 11/month)]  Big shoutout to anim07734!

This first week will be entertaining as I will be traveling Wednesday to 7258 ft ASL and returning on Sunday.  Due to elevation, I may not have the energy [or air] to complete my workouts, and my main mission is to support the wedding.  I will get what I can accomplished, but I won't be terribly disappointed if things don't go as planned.  I will at least have the analysis done on my finance and start cutting other money drains.

• Like 1

Half-elven Ranger

Current Challenge: Jumpin' back in the fray

Those look like some great goals!  Sorry to hear about the finance issues.  Looks like you are forming a great plan to attack that head on!  Enjoy the wedding!  It took 3 years after my wedding to see my best man again.  Life just happens and it is hard not to lose track of time.  Good luck with this challenge!  I look forward to seeing your progress!

Thanks to both of you; I absolutely love the support found within NF and is always so humbling seeing great people can exist on the internet!

@Mikroftt: I definitely plan on enjoying the wedding, hoping that I may get some good profile pics and sharing them on facebook.  I actually haven't seen my roommate in over a year; we are both military and stationed at different bases currently.  I always hope we will at least see each other during reunions, but sometimes our schedules dictate we must be elsewhere.

@Beaucastle: Thanks for the PVP! I have given it a look and I may be jumping onboard.  I typically only grocery shop once a week on Sunday, combining that with any cleaning or general purpose supplies I need.  I may jump in for support and report my successes and downfalls.

I will work on stats later as I am debating on point distribution, but I am currently planning on heavily favoring the points towards my life goals.

Half-elven Ranger

Looks like I am getting my runs in this challenge; I joined the Cross Country Intramural Team for my Squadron.  The schedule is one race a week [2.5 miles;  3.1 miles; 3.1 miles; 5.75 miles]  starting next week.  I am planning on making the race next week even though I will be getting ready to travel.

Took a look at my finances for the past three months, and the only month I was in the negative was October.  Taking a look at my variable costs, I spent a lot on groceries as well as purchasing the airline ticket for the wedding.  So, between 300 for the ticket and supplying food for two people and coming out 130 in the hole doesn't seem too bad considering my variable cost should be way down this upcoming month.

This month is looking well so far; I wont be buying groceries or gas next week due to wedding, but I may owe cancellation fees for my satellite TV service before next month.  I haven't factored in my variable costs yet, and am estimating some of my fixed costs (mostly the water and power utilities). But even throwing in some theoretical numbers show a very good cash flow.

The unfortunate part of my budget is that I am mostly paying fixed costs as well as gas and groceries and not doing much for a social life or hobby.  I don't particularly mind this, but it tells me that I cannot do much in the way of cutting variable cost.  For now, it looks like I will be keeping on, keepin' on.

Half-elven Ranger

Good for you in getting back on track with your epic quest and returning to doing challenges! Your challenge goals look well thought out and well matched to your quests.

Good luck and I love the alliteration!

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

Week 1 went off to a rough start. As it turned out, my flight was scheduled for Tuesday as opposed to Wednesday as I had thought.  I texted the Groom Tuesday at about 1900L that I was "excited to see him tomorrow."  He then calls me and asks "hey bro...where are you at?" and at this point fear struck my being as I realize a mistake may have been made; taking a look at my itinerary, it was 1500L on Tuesday that my flight had left...BEGIN PANIC MODE!!!!!!

After being on the phone with airline representatives for 3-4 hours, they booked me on another flight the next morning (or that morning, time can be funny when you stay awake past 2400/0000) and I spent the night at the airport to make sure I wasn't late/missed my flight.

I didn't get any workouts done once I made it to Colorado, but I did have a great time visiting.  My speech went better than I expected, and I am grateful that I was able to work with the Groom for the toast well in advance of the wedding as the Maid of Honor didn't realize she was responsible for a toast as well and had to make one up on the spot.

A bit selfish, but given that I was single I found myself interested in one of the Bride's Maid, but rationalized that I didn't want to work on a long-distance relationship. 

This week is off to a great start as I completed my workout yesterday and will be purchasing a pullup bar today to add pullups to my routine. So far, my budget is in the positive for this month, but I do have some more expenses that I haven't hammered down yet.  This month may go negative, but not by a large margin, and considering the wedding expenses, I would say this month is looking very successful.

I have also recently been in a discussion to join a crossfit gym; $100/month for 3x/week.  I have noticed that I haven't gone to the gym in quite some time and this may be a good fit for me as I realize I was looking for a gym buddy to help spot me and workout with me.  I am considering participating after this week as I have other events to attend to during the time I would go to the box.

Half-elven Ranger

So, after purchasing the pull up bar, I just had to set it up and try it out.  I accomplished some 11 pull ups along with 30 push ups and 30 bodyweight squats in between cooking and watching Netflix.  I will count this as a workout for the day even though I really wanted to do more; instead I went to bed early to allow for adequate sleep to get up in time to run 3.27 miles this morning in 26:30 give or take 10 seconds.

Life is pretty awesome as I see improvements all around me; from finances to strength training to even my running [which I now tolerate as opposed to hate]. 

Life is good today.

• Like 1

Half-elven Ranger

whew! So glad the travel worked out. I can imagine how you felt when you found out you missed the flight...I can fell a little knot in my stomach just thinking about it.

Sounds like you are off to a great start this week! With crossfit, would you pay month-by-month or do you have to sign up for a long-term membership. Just asking because I know your finances are tight. Sounds like it could be awesome for you if you end up loving it and you use the membership a lot.

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

If I don't have a membership, it is $15/session; averaging 3x/week and 4weeks/month: Non-Membership is $180/month so getting the membership would be better as I do my expenses by month.  The only issues for these next two months is that I will not be here for a few weeks.  I will need to talk to the proprietors to see if maybe we can work something together.

Luckily, football intramurals has completed for the season with our first win [yeah, not really making the playoffs this year] so I will be free to attend the box in the afternoons.  I would like to visit the box next week, but I will be heading out again on Wednesday night.  Perhaps I will go in Monday or Tuesday to get a first impression, then attend again the week after for another session to see if I will get a membership.

Half-elven Ranger

Good news everyone!  Last week remaining for the month of November and I still have a positive balance to my financial chart.  I will be refilling my tank tonight (~$40) and will likely need to fill my tank twice to travel home for Thanksgiving (an additional ~$80; ~$120 remaining for the week).  I will not need any groceries this week as I have all items I need for the next 5 days until I head out, leaving me an estimated $30 under budget.  Not a great amount, but considering the cost of the wedding and cancelation of Satellite (and paying double minimum due on my student loan), I have done well. 

• Like 2

Half-elven Ranger

Week 2 Summary

2/3 strength workouts complete (2 bodyweight workouts)

2/2 aerobic workouts complete

Spreadsheet created and analyzed with certain cuts made into the budget but may be gaining other costs (Gym Membership)

Paying off debt as I can, still paying double the minimum due on my Student Loan, I will say success for this month

I still have the kitchen, my office, and bathrooms to clean; its been a great two weeks cleaning house.

Week 3 Status update:

Decided to work on pullups exclusively on Monday and check out the Crossfit Gym on Tuesday.

So....Crossfit is a thing....I did their benchmark workout (I think they called it Baseline) and completed in 7 some-odd minutes....~5-10 minutes later I wanted to go into a coma as my body started sweating profusely, I felt like the room was abnormal (not really spinning, just slanted or something), and I wanted to dry heave even though my body refused (I am a bit weird with that).  After getting about three sips of water, my body returned to normal....so weird part over I suppose.

If I can remember the workout it went:

500 m row machine

30 Butterfly situps [super-freakin awkward...I really can't describe it]

40 Bodyweight Squats

20 Pushups [chest rest on the ground; really weird to me as I have trained to stop momentum before touching ground and not lifting my hands]

10 pullups [i was lame-sauce and needed a band and support from the coaches]

I swear it didn't look like much when I first read through the workout...but as described above...yeah...totally going back.

I may not be on for a long while as I will be spending time with the family this Thanksgiving, I am planning to do at least one long distance run and bringing my pull up bar; hopefully encouraging my parents to get interested in workouts again.

• Like 1

Half-elven Ranger

Week 3 Summary:

2/3 Strength workouts (1 at the Crossfit gym)

1/2 Aerobic workouts

December finances will be interesting; I have some gifts already bought and others I am still wondering what to get for them.  Things may get really interesting as I start paying for the gym as well; I will really need to watch my expenses this month.

I wasn't able to get any housecleaning done this past week, and in fact have more of a mess due to unpacking but that can and will be quickly remedied.  I am planning to clean my kitchen tonight and if I have time leftover clean the bathrooms. 

Half-elven Ranger

Thinking of turning my bodyweight workout to another external source via card game where suits are the type of exercise and value is rep; I have done this before but I forget exactly what exercises were used.  I figure a good list includes: push ups, squats, lunges, and pullups; other ideas are 4-count burpee; 6-count burpee; 8-count burpee; plank (no idea how to modify rep/seconds held).  Any others to keep this workout entertaining or harder (like pistol squats)?

Half-elven Ranger

yeaaaaapppp thatsgonnabesoretomorrow.  I feel a little bit of the T-Rex arms happening, but I should be able to stretch it all back out tonight.  All-in-all I did 91 reps of body weight squats, lunges, push ups, and a majority of negative pull ups (I may have done 10 normal pull ups before muscle fatigue set in).

• Like 1

Half-elven Ranger

10 second reps definitely sounds like an equivalent to a one rep exercise. 

As it turns out, the month of November saw -$71.40 balance on the spreadsheet; my only reconciliation is that $49.60 for the water bill in December was paid in November and $21.00 for Automotive repair were "unplanned" expenses.  Along with that, the addition of $101.22 for Satellite cancelation and removal of $99.83 for the monthly subscription leaves me with an otherwise extra income for the following months.  The wedding also took out $264.89 (money well spent for sure), so I am looking at ~$450-500 for gifts, eliminating debts, and/or emergency fund building.  

• Like 1

Half-elven Ranger

YARGHGHGHGHGHGH

...thankfully, I texted my crossfit coach to confirm "my" plan of showing up to the introductory lifting class today only to find out it was scheduled for tomorrow.  Good news is my workout clothes are all packed in my truck already; bad news is a double workout tomorrow (3.54 mile run in the morning and the lifting class in the afternoon).  I will take today as a rest day to stretch out and recover from yesterday's workout, but I may throw in a few push ups and squats or go for a jog to keep my body moving.

Half-elven Ranger