SymphonicDan's warm winter campfire [Level 7]

SymphonicDan

Are you starting to have issues with your joints now or is the glucosamine preemptive?

Mostly pre-emptive, but it's based on noticing some temporary awkwardness in joints... for example my left wrist is feeling dodgy for false grip, and my right knee had some unhappiness through September/October which is now gone. They recommend 1 tablet per day, but that might be excessive.

Level 25 Cyborg Assassin

[ STR 36.75 | DEX 26.00 | STA 28.00 | CON 31.25 | WIS 29.25 | CHA 24.50 ]

current 5-week challenge: March 2020

external websites with my resources for...

fitness & breathwork | mental math & mind sports | motivation & productivity

Can't hurt. The joints do take a beating in gymnastics! Are you doing any wrist prehab?

Nope, other than stretching them occasionally because it feels nice, and some stretching once each week in the gymnastics class warm-up. Anything you'd recommend in particular?

Today:

I've hardly been more physically exhausted in my life. We had a 24-hour stationary bike relay race in the office today (competing against other offices) where anyone sufficiently insane to pedal like crazy for 30 minutes was welcome to do so. So of course, I signed up, as did some of my friends.

I came to support them when they did their shifts, and one friend in particular against whom I'm quite competitive hit 11.07 miles (35.63 kilometres per hour) so of course I had to beat that, however difficult it was :P My manager who cycles seriously got 11.25 miles (36.21kph) and the fastest was 12.12 miles (39.01kph). However on a real bike, I always cycle standing up on one of the highest gears, so a stationary bike was uncharted territory for me. Furthermore, I'm definitely a sprinter, and I can't remember the last time I did 30 minutes of anything physical without a break.

So I had no idea what I was doing... I started off on a super high resistance and speed but knew I'd have to stop within 5 minutes if I kept that up, so brought it down quite a bit and carried on like that.

I was struggling to maintain the pace right from the start, and during the 7th minute, people started suggesting that I take a break and have someone else swap in. "Not yet", I muttered with the 0.1% of my energy that wasn't being channeled to my legs. It was quite a meditative experience, forcing my body to just keep going. Occasionally I'd open my eyes and see my heart rate somewhere between 188-198 which I didn't think I could still do, so that encouraged me some more.

Some of my friends came down for the last 10 minutes, and helped cool me down by holding refrigerated drinks cans against my forehead. I'm very glad they did otherwise I would've overheated so much more! I was distracted myself by calculating all the time the projected distance I'd manage, and near the end it became apparent that I would beat my friend, and so I set about on a sprint finish to overtake my manager. I have no idea what speed I was doing, or my heart rate, but I ramped the resistance right up and pedalled like crazy until the 30 minutes were up.

With seconds to go, I knew that I would need to collapse on the floor immediately, as I had no energy left for anything except to tell everyone that I'd be alright. My friends gave me some refrigerated drinks for a pillow to cool me down, and a few minutes later I could get back up to drink all the water and eat all the carbs in sight. My distance? 11.30 miles (36.37kph) :D Also that was with an amazing support crew and with some target numbers to chase, which helped a lot.

My manager did have a second cycle later, and went all-out and looked completely drained after, but crushed my distance with 11.62 miles (37.40kph) so I was pretty proud of him for that.

Oh, and then I had a football game this evening, so I'm doing to be completely shattered tomorrow :o I was planning on a weightlifting session, but I'll be forgiving of myself if I turn out to be too obliterated to do anything like that :P

• Like 3

Level 25 Cyborg Assassin

Holding oneself upside-down from hanging underneath the rings is a mix of core and pull-up strength to get yourself upside-down and tucked... and core strength and a bit of arms to straighten your body... overall not crazy difficult... if you did it from "support hold" (like in the picture I had) then you'd end up in a handstand and I think that would be super difficult (I've never tried!)

I agree that hanging upside down from the rings isn't really that hard, but it certainly is fun.  You kind of feel like Batman.  :)   I can't even imagine doing a full handstand on the rings.  Maybe someday if I'm feeling incredibly brave and have a few burly spotters.

And hooray for going climbing!

But I suspect I'll have a pair of rings by the end of December.  santa-dance.gif

Yes!  Get rings!   Rings are fun and painful at the same time.  What could be better?  :)

• Like 2

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

You managed to make an exciting tale of your biking! :D  And you showed them what a Rebel can do!!!! Woooooot!

Hope you are feeling more rested right now, but yes, expect a not very nice recovery day...

Somehow I was fine on Saturday, while sometimes I'll ache for days after a much less dramatic activity, such as walking... Maybe the extra hydration and quickly fixing my carb deficit was what saved me from spending the weekend lying pathetically on my bed...

Respect for the willpower to push through it!  I probably would have given up the first time someone even thought about suggesting that someone swap in...

I mean, overheating yourself is probably not the best idea long-term, that's a pretty respectable distance nevertheless.

Haha, I'd already decided that if my friends could do it then so could I, and so I wasn't going to stop until my body vetoed further movement :P

I can't even imagine doing a full handstand on the rings.  Maybe someday if I'm feeling incredibly brave and have a few burly spotters.

They're possible, but must take crazy grip strength! I think if you did them high enough off the ground (not in your cellar) then you could just swing back down the way you came (and probably drop further from support hold into a hang), or rotate over forwards and end up straight in a hang with the straps having rotated 360 degrees to stop your wrists from falling off. The only thing I'd be worried about is whether my shoulders would be happy about absorbing the fall (might be fine, or they might require strengthening). I can look for a video if you/someone wants to see more clearly what I mean.

In any case I don't think I'll be trying them just yet :P

The inspiring atmosphere for my latest Deadlift video was created by Dan.  Thank you, Dan.   :encouragement:

No problems, I'm honoured haha :) This is truly what Orion himself threw on his stereo when training to be such a strong hunter.

Challenge #5: stay warm: Had a trip to London today to help out with a charity, and it's one of the only times these days that I wear a suit... and usually get both too hot and too cold while walking around and waiting around respectively. Today I remembered to not wear a full suit when walking, and packed extra layers in case I got cold later. Result? Comfortable day :) Sounds basic, but it's a probably I've consistently had.

Plans:

• gymnastics may happen tomorrow at the big fancy gym, yay... in which case I'll sign up properly and commit to going a lot more over the next year :)
  • rings and weightlifting have been neglected the last week, so I'll get back on them at the next sensible opportunity. I'm not going to reach my weightlifting targets just by thinking about them...
  • Like 4

Level 25 Cyborg Assassin

Somehow I was fine on Saturday, while sometimes I'll ache for days after a much less dramatic activity, such as walking... Maybe the extra hydration and quickly fixing my carb deficit was what saved me from spending the weekend lying pathetically on my bed...

Haha, I'd already decided that if my friends could do it then so could I, and so I wasn't going to stop until my body vetoed further movement :P

They're possible, but must take crazy grip strength! I think if you did them high enough off the ground (not in your cellar) then you could just swing back down the way you came (and probably drop further from support hold into a hang), or rotate over forwards and end up straight in a hang with the straps having rotated 360 degrees to stop your wrists from falling off. The only thing I'd be worried about is whether my shoulders would be happy about absorbing the fall (might be fine, or they might require strengthening). I can look for a video if you/someone wants to see more clearly what I mean.

In any case I don't think I'll be trying them just yet :P

No problems, I'm honoured haha :) This is truly what Orion himself threw on his stereo when training to be such a strong hunter.

Challenge #5: stay warm: Had a trip to London today to help out with a charity, and it's one of the only times these days that I wear a suit... and usually get both too hot and too cold while walking around and waiting around respectively. Today I remembered to not wear a full suit when walking, and packed extra layers in case I got cold later. Result? Comfortable day :) Sounds basic, but it's a probably I've consistently had.

Plans:

• gymnastics may happen tomorrow at the big fancy gym, yay... in which case I'll sign up properly and commit to going a lot more over the next year :)
  • rings and weightlifting have been neglected the last week, so I'll get back on them at the next sensible opportunity. I'm not going to reach my weightlifting targets just by thinking about them...

Aren't layers the best thing ever? I think females have an easier time wearing layers, but they do make it so much easier to maintain a comfortable body temperature.

I hope your gym visit goes well!

In any case I don't think I'll be trying them just yet :tongue:

Yeah.  They get a big nope from me, too.  I can only hold a freestanding handstand for like 5 seconds.  I doubt that adding instability to the move by being up on rings would help at all.   Plus, I have more than enough fun things to do on the rings that don't involve killing myself or dislocating my shoulder.  ;)

• Like 1

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

Maybe a way to start would be to do handstands on a bosu ball or something like that?

That sounds even harder actually! You have two more degrees of freedom (compared to handstands on the ground) on the bosu ball, but only one on the rings... Maybe Parallettes would work? Rings might actually help you balance though because you can move your hands/rings forwards/backwards to shift the rings under your centre of mass, just it might take a lot of getting used to :o

Maybe one day...

Level 25 Cyborg Assassin

Update time, but mainly for gymnastics stuff - I went on Monday and Wednesday, and got my membership for British Gymnastics, so I can now go to all of the fancy gyms in the country without them worrying about insurance and other boring things.

handstands: quite inconsistent now, due to lack of practice, but occasionally getting super long ones. Still lots of hand shuffling, so sometime next year I want to focus on fixing that properly.

frontflips: getting better at convincing my body to jump straight up (why do I find this so hard?) and today I accidentally landed what was nearly a layout... I'll keep working on these now as I'm seeing continual improvement, even if it's frustratingly slow.

backflips: just starting these again really... almost able to land them, but still lacking confidence to do it without spotters. Will carry on with these.

I've been slacking with my actual challenge objectives though :( so here's a full list, partly to shame me into actually getting back into the swing of things:

Challenge #1: rings: haven't touched these for a week because I've been busy. I intend to use these Thursday/Friday/Saturday though :) I was speaking to a serious rings guy at the Huntingdon gymnastics centre on Monday who gave me some bits of advice for false grip.

Challenge #2: new composition: haven't had the free time/energy to do anything new with this. I've reminded myself now to re-prioritise it... maybe starting this evening...

Challenge #3: olympic weightlifting: haven't been to the weights gym for two weeks... I plan to go back on Saturday and try Olympic weightlifting again

Challenge #4: powerlifting: again, should be going to the weights gym this weekend

Challenge #5: stay warm: weather is not too cold at the moment, but I'm still being good with precautions like extra blankets, extra layers, and cycling without gloves to toughen me up a little for when it gets colder :P

• Like 4

Level 25 Cyborg Assassin

Do you spot on your front tucks -- do you make sure to look somewhere at or above eye level in the distance when you punch off the ground? Seriously does wonders! 

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

Tut tut. Now manos a la obra!

¡Luego! Ahora, tengo que dormirme...

Do you spot on your front tucks -- do you make sure to look somewhere at or above eye level in the distance when you punch off the ground? Seriously does wonders! 

Yes! If only I'd discovered this trick earlier :o I got a video today and looked at the slow-motion reply and I'm still ducking my head almost as soon as I've left the ground, so I'm further away from success than I thought... On the positive side, I'm landing them on my feet on a crashmat despite hardly jumping up at all so once I get the frontflips sorted I'm going to have mighty powerful ones :D

Level 25 Cyborg Assassin

Oh, no, work is piling up!

SNAG-00086%5B5%5D.png?imgmax=800

Yes, Miss! Please don't give me a detention! :tongue:

Challenge #1: rings: I did actually get right back work today, setting up my rings at a new place near my workplace (a zipline support) and finally tried a proper static skin-the-cat (it's easy and fun, so not sure why I was worried!) My work friend came with me and we did some exercises for a bit, mainly dips, pull-ups and core exercises.

So far I've just been playing around, but I should try making some of the exercises into a proper workout routine...

Challenge #5: stay warm: this was easy today, as despite it being 10 degrees outside when I was playing on the rings, I was actually too warm in my T-shirt?!

• Like 3

Level 25 Cyborg Assassin

You get to pay a fee and use any (or from a list of) gymnastics facility?!?! That's amazing!! I'm having a hard time finding other places near me that have any adult time!

You get to pay a fee and use any (or from a list of) gymnastics facility?!?! That's amazing!! I'm having a hard time finding other places near me that have any adult time!

All of the ones I know of in the UK have adult classes or open sessions - just that you have to be a member of British Gymnastics (which is what I just paid the fee for) and you have to pay maybe £8-10 for the session... so not cheap, but the facilities and instructors are usually excellent.

I had planned to do some weightlifting - or at least rings - on Saturday, but I had friends visiting and I'd been busy all week and I was tired and I was going to be busy all of Sunday... so I gave that a miss to help me recover properly :( It worked though, as today I'm miraculously not crazy tired!

Challenge #1: rings: to make up for my lack of strength work recently, I took the rings to a new playground today after football in the dark and freezing cold. It was a good opportunity as the park was well-lit and I was warmed-up from an hour of chasing a football. The ground was strangely slippery so I didn't do anything where I might fall, but instead did some dips and push-ups. I also attempted something new in support hold: rotating my arms so my palms face forward... much harder than I expected but I think I'll be able to hold it with a little more work.

Challenge #2: piano composition: I've found a few nice melodies to complement the original ideas I had, and tried improvising a third voice alongside the main melody, which sounds good as an advanced variation.
  • Like 1

Level 25 Cyborg Assassin

I finally convinced myself to get back into the weights gym after work today, with the help of a bag of chocolate peanuts... and I'm glad I did because I had a great workout.

Challenge #3: Olympic weightlifting: I practised these lifts some more today:

• my power clean is now looking pretty good (lifting the barbell from the floor to shoulder height the proper way) but adjusting my arms to that it lands in the correct position after the move is a bit awkward (and will need more practice). Once I'm better at this I'll move onto slightly heavier weights where I'll have to squat under the bar to catch it (thus learning the Olympic clean)
  • the Olympic jerk is easy but I did a couple just for fun - it's quite a pleasing movement
  • for the snatch, just drilled a few preparatory exercises with a 20kg barbell... I noticed a minor improvement on last time

Challenge #4: bench + press = 100kg: I've hit a new PR for the overhead press: 41kg :) I wasn't able to attempt the bench press this time as I was without company in the gym, but I did 50kg on the machine 20 times as fast as possible (another PR: 3min44, 7 sets needed) and a couple further work sets, which should help with my goal. On both Thursday and Saturday this week I have plans to come to the gym with friends, so if either of those happen, I should be able to give an "initial" value for the bench press (I've hit 56kg on a few occasions, but haven't tried it for over two months).

Also today did some auxiliary exercises for the muscle-up.

Tomorrow: gymnastics, where I'll be trying to make my frontflips more vertical, and my backflips more natural.

• Like 1

Level 25 Cyborg Assassin

This Wednesday was the first time I've gone to gymnastics the day after a weightlifting session... my muscles were pretty sore, but it worked out well anyway :)

frontflips: "gymnastics sessions" for me now are mainly about frontflips, and today I finally got the rhythm correct so that I'm tucking after jumping... and it makes such a difference! Now I'm usually landing them standing upright, and even over-rotated one onto my face (this is on the tumble track onto a crashmat). If I get this more consistent, then I'll have a great base on which to work on the finer details of tucking tight, holding the tuck for just long enough, and landing deliberately rather than crashing onto the mat :D

backflips: just a few with the help of spotters, but they were better than usual and even over-rotated one (although that was possibly unnecessarily-enthusiastic spotting lol)

handstands: some of the best I've ever done, despite recently not practising these much. Long balances with not so much moving around.

glide kip: I can feel extra strength in my abs so I think I'm closer to achieving this move.

Challenge #1: rings: experimenting with skin-the-cat and similar moves has really improved my ab strength, which might explain the extra success at gymnastics this week. I'll definitely continue training the moves that give me that benefit :)

Challenge #2: piano composition: more experimenting, but nothing cohesive is yet forming...

Challenge #3: olympic lifting: some brief drills at the weights gym today.

Challenge #4: bench + press >= 100kg: tried my maximum on the bench press today, and lifted 55kg, making my total 41+55 = 96kg (grade C+) and I feel I could've gone higher, but the spotting was a bit assymetrical on 57.5kg which was offputting. I did my 50kgx20 ASAP again, and smashed my record to 2:31 yay, even though I'd just done a 1RM attempt. Overall the gym session was a bit lazy though...

Challenge #5: keep warm: LOL... my office was 25.6'C today and the "official" way to turn down the heating is through a facilities manager based in another city (you know, rather than just having the controls somewhere accessible like a normal office). So yes, I kept warm today...

• Like 2

Level 25 Cyborg Assassin