SymphonicDan's warm winter campfire [Level 7]

SymphonicDan

Lots of work done!

Really? The controls are in another city??!!

Yep, we were quite amused to find this out :P Luckily the next day we had some cool breezes so we weren't all sweating like crazy.

Friday was football day, so I got my 1 hour of fun cardio that way. Sometimes the ball gets kicked onto the roof, and then I'm the only person willing/able to climb up to get it down. Yesterday however it was raining so I couldn't do my usual trick of sliding down the lamppost to get back down (it was too slippery - I know because I tried it before and was lucky not to bruise myself). So I lowered myself down another way with my arms, and was surprised how easily they could support my weight... so yay for my strength training yielding everyday-life benefits :)

I had a random urge today to go to the weights gym for the 3rd time in 5 days, so it happened:

Challenge #3: Olympic weightlifting: found that the finishing position for the clean in the clean and jerk is much easier if my hands are closer together on the bar, so I drilled the clean and jerk on a moderately low weight quite a bit. For the snatch, I did the same prep exercises, plus started doing the move itself in slow motion with a really low weight. My main problem is dipping into an actual squat once I've lifted the bar above me... I end up doing weird positions that look as if I were desperate for the bathroom :S Anyway, progress!

Challenge #4: press & bench press: NEW PR :D I'd hit 41kg on the overhead press for the first time on Tuesday, and now I've pushed that up to 42.5kg, which still keeps me at grade C, but if I get any improvement now on either lift, I get grade B, and I have a very reasonable target of 57.5kg on the bench press (I recently lifted 55kg, although I've done 56kg in the past).

• Like 3

Level 25 Cyborg Assassin

[ STR 36.75 | DEX 26.00 | STA 28.00 | CON 31.25 | WIS 29.25 | CHA 24.50 ]

current 5-week challenge: March 2020

external websites with my resources for...

fitness & breathwork | mental math & mind sports | motivation & productivity

Today I ate best food in whole house, for better make repair glorious muscle of Kazakhstan.

Challenge #1: rings: my friend was planning to see me today and try out the rings for his first time, but transport problems meant he had to stay in his village. I went out anyway to the big park with the big tree with the big branch and worked out with the rings for nearly an hour.

• dips: harder than usual, maybe because my muscles are recovering from lots of weightlifting
  • skin the cat: now seems really easy and non-scary, yay :) I feel slightly dizzy now from doing these so much. Will be helpful for backflips too, as my body will be even more used to rotating backwards high in the air
  • batman hangs: also seem straightforward now. I need to get a picture of myself dressed up like a bat or batman in this position haha
  • back lever: experimented with this, but probably looked like gravity was playing cruel tricks on me. I should look up a proper progression before I try this properly
  • false grip: I've found if I put myself in the position at the top of a pull-up, but with one arm horizontal and straight and in false grip, then it's comfortable, and I can bring that hand back towards my body (to a normal pull-up position) to help train my false grip. My left hand has felt slightly injured recently, but this exercise was fine. However I tried some more awkward things with my left hand and something made it feel injured again, so I should've stopped when I was ahead :P I won't try these again for at least 10 days, so that my wrist can heal better.

Tomorrow I might be going to the big fancy gymnastics centre again, if I can get a lift.

Level 25 Cyborg Assassin

Grats on the PR! :D

It's also so great to notice when your functional strength comes in handy. 

• Like 1

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

I'm not surprised that the skin the cats and batman hangs are trivial for you, now that you've gotten over that mental block.  You're much stronger than what is required for either of those moves.

For back lever, have you tried it with your legs tucked in?  I guess progression-wise, I started with my back horizontal and my legs hanging straight down, and then I progressed to holding them up in a full tuck (like a kneeling position while hanging).  I think the progressions I've seen from there have you slowly extending one or both legs as you become stronger.  

• Like 1

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

For back lever, have you tried it with your legs tucked in?  I guess progression-wise, I started with my back horizontal and my legs hanging straight down, and then I progressed to holding them up in a full tuck (like a kneeling position while hanging).  I think the progressions I've seen from there have you slowly extending one or both legs as you become stronger.  

Ah, I've just googled, and what I meant was a front lever (I thought a front lever were where you'd lie on your front, and a back lever on your back, but now I know it's the other way around...) although I'll give your ideas a try when I try the actual back lever :) I guess it's a natural step after skin the cat.

I think for front lever I'd want to do something similar again, starting from a tucked version.

Gymnastics did happen today, at the fancy faraway gym:

• frontflips: wasn't getting the rhythm correct today :( although I still land them from the bouncy surface onto crashmats easily. I then moved onto the plyo floor (a firmer surface, although still slightly springy) and found that my jumps were pretty crap... just tickling the floor with my feet... which is a technique issue, not a strength issue, so I should work on blocking properly on firmer surfaces.
  • upstart / glide kip: finally I have the core strength to pull my feet up to the bar with straight arms and straight legs! I think this is thanks to the ring training :) This gymnastic move comes in three parts: {swing+extend, toes to bar, rotate to top position} so it's mainly the third part I need to work on. I keep trying to do a pull-up, but that's completely the wrong thing to do so I've got to break that habit.
  • backwards walkover: this is what I see the flexible gymnast girls doing, and I've tried it with my feet on a block before and it just didn't happen. So today I was pleased when (with the help of one of the girls there) I managed it unspotted on a 60cm block :) (lower than I tried before). Next steps are to gradually lower the starting height of my feet until I can manage them on the ground. And possibly work on my back flexibility and shoulder flexibility in the meantime...
  • backflips: had a couple spotted but my brain wasn't really in a backflip kinda mood... the coach said that next week he has some cool exercises on the trampoline we can do, so that should be cool :P
  • handstands: really inconsistent, but some really long ones too

Tomorrow I'm doing nothing sporty, for the first time in 9 days, and then gymnastics again on Wednesday.

• Like 1

Level 25 Cyborg Assassin

Wow I fell behind! Fought up now! Way to go with your PRs and front tucks! That's so exciting!!

Yes...you do need pictures as batman...yes

My work's heat is controlled from another city too! We had to call them today to have them turn it up haha!

First time I hear you talk about resting... How do you do to keep that rhythm? Such an energy!

It must be youth...

Haha, maybe youth, maybe I'm just used to being tired often... in the Summer I had a couple of challenges with a sleep more element to try to let me recover better. I think eating well helps, and at the moment my life has fewer distractions than most people - e.g. commute is short, no family commitments, friends like fitness stuff so quite a bit of my social time overlaps with exercise time, etc.

Although on the other hand, you hear about me doing lots of stuff, but also every couple of weeks I'll crash and spend a day doing nothing and feeling rubbish if I haven't looked after myself magnificently :(

Tuesday: pizza-making with friends. Somehow managed to over-eat... not often I do that, because my body burns about a billion calories every day, but whatever... probably because we had huge amounts of delicious toppings and far too much cheese :S Tasty though!

Wednesday: gymnastics night: I've had some good sessions recently but last night was a bit rubbish. Pizza partly to blame... I was full all day and didn't eat much food so maybe I was low on energy.

• frontflips: got my rhythm back, so landed some nice ones, still on the crashmats
  • backflips: nothing special
  • handstands: all crap
  • upstart / glide kip: didn't have the strength/flexibility to even do the first part

Still, I'm sure there will be more good sessions soon, so I'm not worried about a lame session :)

Thursday: weightlifting: good news here for two of my challenge goals!

Challenge #3: olympic weightlifting:

• snatch: tried the entire movement at full speed for the first time, and it was actually okay! Still using at most 22kg for this as my technique isn't yet stable enough to use much more weight
  • clean and jerk: practised this quite a bit, but still using at most 37kg until my form is consistently good

I took some videos as well to check my form - if I need to ask NF for advice on technique I'll post that. Otherwise it's not too exciting, you're not missing out on much :P

Challenge #4: bench press + overhead press = 100kg: about one year after setting this goal - it appeared in my first NF challenge - then injuring my shoulder, and concentrating for most of the summer on other things, I can finally say that I've achieved the goal :D

• bench press: 57.5kg (127lb) (today)
  • o'head press: 42.5kg  (94lb) (last Saturday)

The first attempt was actually a failure, and the second attempt was so slow and hard that I doubt I could've lifted 58kg, but still it counts, and the form was good :)

I'm extra pleased about this, because I had been setting myself up all last week for exactly this 57.5kg lift on the bench press (my old record was 56kg). I went to the gym three times, got a 42.5kg PR on the overhead press, did a heavy combination of volume and high-weight work on the bench press, and ate appropriately. Lifting 57.5kg means that my approach was valid.

I need to decide now what to do with my lifting for the next few months while it's cold... some options:

• follow an actual program such as Starting Strength (I've done everything so far with impromptu routines)
  • take Olympic weightlifting seriously (rather than the experiment I'm doing now)
  • work up to some proper heavy dealifts and squats (I don't do these much and would need to find a squat rack)
  • focus more on bodyweight training (although I already do this a lot, with the rings, gymnastics, climbing and other random skills)
  • Like 2

Level 25 Cyborg Assassin

Challenge #1: rings: It's 4'C (39'F) outside today, but whatever, I wrapped up warm and went out anyway and had fun :)

New things today:

• false grip: I was responsible and did not aggravate my slightly-injured left wrist, but did do some training on my right
  • support hold: held for 30 seconds (first time to try it for an extended period)
  • dips: harder if I do something resembling an L-sit, so I should do more like that
  • batman hold: hung upside-down comfortably for quite some time, and practised shoulder shrugs and pull-ups in this position. These feel like barbell rows
  • front lever:  tucked version is awkward and I'll play around with it some more
  • back lever: tried this for the first time (thanks Nymeria for the advice!) and it seems more natural than the front lever but I'm still very much in the n00b stages of this move
  • skin the cat: many cats were skinned, my strength in this position is stronger so something else to be happy about.

Might play with rings again tomorrow, or it might be a climbing day... I'll see :)

• Like 1

Level 25 Cyborg Assassin

Woot for working outside in the cold! I want a picture of the batman holds, these sound cool and fun.

I went outside today to get a picture, just for you :P Well actually I was going out anyway, but I made sure I got some pictures of various things, including the batman hold:

gallery_25753_1020_591538.jpg

Challenge #1: rings: one of the things I wanted to do with the rings is to give some friends the opportunity to use them, and today one of my uni friends came to play around. He's similar build/ability to me, but he also magically has false grip, so we played around with muscle-ups and levers and various things for a while.

• false grip: I promised last week that I was going to let my left wrist rest for a while, which I am still doing... but I've been able to do some false grip training regardless, especially on my right wrist.
  • dips: tried to do 20 as fast as possible but was interrupted by my friend arriving. I got 13 in about 4 minutes though and would be about 7-8 minutes for the full 20. I'll try it again.
  • front lever / back lever: experimented with various easy versions of these... the difficult part happens as soon as the arms stop being vertical (which they do need to do)... I need to practise moving into these positions in a slow careful way in order to get any stronger.

So far this challenge: grade B - should do some more intense stuff 2-3 times per week in order to get to grade A, and give friends more notice so they can come along.

Challenge #2: piano composition: I've got some more ideas that all flow together now :D Still needs lots more work though, so grade F at the moment.

Challenge #3: olympic lifting: This morning I analyzed my technique, and the following seem to be the next steps:

• snatch: more practice
  • clean & jerk: practise catching the bar on my shoulder/chest with minimal work done by the arms/hands

I feel I'm close to grade A with this, but since I'm not yet proficient with either lift, currently grade F

Challenge #4: bench + press <= 100kg: achieved, so grade A!

Challenge #5: keep warm: so far grade B / grade C

• Like 3

Level 25 Cyborg Assassin

Ooooh. Half the bodyweight things you speak of I do not know. I want to know. I want rings. That's such a cool picture. I will be following.

Hey, good to have you around :) Rings are great, especially for someone like you who already has a high level of strength. Sometimes when I mention moves on my thread I worry whether I give enough information or too little :S If anything is baffling it's probably because I need to explain it better...

...why are you not dressed as batman?!?!?!

Haha... batman's robe isn't so great for being upside-down... it would just flump onto the floor... The rest of the costume would look good, but I don't just randomly have a batman costume waiting around in my closet!

Level 25 Cyborg Assassin

94872809bdb93efcf176e667ba3200edb1b77d9d

• Like 2

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

Maah, felt a bit rubbish the last few days... I think my body is in some vague recovery mode and not too happy about being asked to chase a football for an hour (like Monday) or climb up all the walls (like I didn't do on Tuesday). Still, gymnastics happened today, mainly practising front tucks.

People who are good at front tucks say that their core feels super sore afterwards, but it hardly seems to affect mine... so I think I just need practice engaging the core muscles more during the flip. Still, today they were consistently landed in a high squat position, with a jump straight up and a sufficiently powerful tuck, so yay for having improved a lot :)

I tried some jumps on the floor as if I had been setting up for a front tuck, and it feels hard to get decent height. Strangely, I can generate significantly more height from just my right leg than both together - probably from the high jump I used to do for my university. I think I should practise the correct jumping for this if I ever want to achieve my front tuck on the ground....

Did wall handstands for the first time in ages... got 1 minute no problem, I should do this more but concentrate on correct form rather than just flopping against the wall for as long as possible.

Challenge #5: keep warm: my office hit 28.6'C on Monday and hasn't really cooled down since :S So I'm mainly trying to keep myself cool this Winter :P

Tomorrow: probably some Olympic lifting...

• Like 1

Level 25 Cyborg Assassin

I have no idea how I fill so much time, but today I went alone to the gym and lifted things for 3 hours 20 minutes! I'm eating my dinner at midnight as I write this :o

Essentially I worked on two things today:

Challenge #3: Olympic lifting: this was the first thing... lots of practice racking the bar correctly after the clean, and in shoulder/back strength for the overhead squat needed in the snatch. I'm worried about smashing my collar bone with a bad Olympic clean or power clean... so until I'm happy with my racking technique, I'm wearing my hoodie round my shoulders for a softer landing if I need to clean anything heavy. I look like I've been savagely attacked by my wardrobe haha, but what the hell, I'd rather that than a damaged skeleton.

The second thing: somewhere on this forum I found a list of exercises graded by difficulty (e.g. squats @0.75*bodyweight x 3 reps, pull-ups x 8 reps) as judged by some Crossfit gym in Seattle. http://crossfitseattle.com/athletic-skill-levels/...I don't fully agree with the grading, but anyway I wanted to see how I compared in different activities. I won't list them all, but here are some notable ones:

• military press: couldn't even get level 4... even though it's something with which I've had the most gains :S (so level 3)
  • dips: even though this is similar to the military press, got 15 in a set, for level 7 so apparently I'm much better at dips than presses...
  • weighted dips: 3 reps with 18kg extra for level 5 (and soo close to 3x29kg for level 6)
  • pistol squats: 15 on each leg for level 8 and maybe would have continued for 20 reps if I knew there is a level 9
  • squat: 3 reps at 55kg for level 4 and 20 reps at 45kg for level 5, so I'm much worse compared to pistol squats?! No idea why... I can only squat my bodyweight if I'm lucky :(
  • deadlift: 3 reps at 97.5kg for level 5
  • pull-ups: 11 for level 5
  • push-ups: 30 (well I can do 40) for level 6
  • power clean: 3 reps at 58kg for level 7 (this is where I was draping myself in my hoodie to protect my skeleton)
  • power snatch: 3 reps at 43kg for level 7 (I can lift more when the technique doesn't require me to dip down)

So what does this all mean?

• I'll have a go with the ring exercises and running exercises sometime, out of interest
  • whichever muscles work in dips but not bench/press I must have really strong versions of...
  • should work more on heavy squats... I used to be a high-jumper so I should be better at these...
  • that was a pretty epic good workout... which fits in well with my plans to eat lots of food tomorrow :P
  • Like 2

Level 25 Cyborg Assassin

Two days later, and I literally have the worst DOMS I've ever experienced! :o (DOMS is delayed-onset muscle soreness, that you get after strength work). My quads, hamstrings, glutes, abductors and back all feel really tender. It's because I did a lot of unfamiliar and demanding exercises on Thursday, and my muscles are working overtime to adapt to them - which is very good, but they're complaining overtime too lol.

And while I'm complaining, may I mention that I have a bruised palm and foot from football yesteray, a recovering wound from football on Monday and DOMS in my forearm near the elbow from false grip training. Basically I'm temporarily wrecked and feel the need to be melodramatic about it for a change :P

Right now, I'm doing what I can to help my body recover:

• eat all the healthy food, especially protein, carbs and vitamins (usually I'm anti-carb, but they're good for DOMS). I'm eating 200g of chicken for my first course of breakfast, with tomato and lime, and yesterday I had English breakfast, full 3-course Christmas dinner, meat pizza and black forest porridge with protein powder and lots of nuts, so I think I'm doing okay here
  • drink all the water (yep *takes another gulp*)
  • sleep all the hours (not so well on Thursday night - sometimes DOMS gives me funny dreams haha, but made up for it last night with 16 hours between the two nights)
  • keep warm (hmm... actually I'm cold now so I should fix that)
  • light exercise with the same muscles (6 miles of cycling and an hour of football is good for getting the blood flowing through them)
  • invertion (I've found that lying on my bed with my legs up against the wall allows the blood in the legs to be replaced by fresh blood and this helps DOMS... same principle as the hot/cold/hot baths idea that some athletes use, but without the need for a cold bath haha)

I also foam rolled, which doesn't help the DOMS but will let the muscle fibres arrange themselves properly.

Today I'm showing some more friends the rings, so hopefully that will be fun. At least my upper body is mostly fresh. In the evening I have at least one Christmas party, and tomorrow I was planning to go to a different weights gym with another friend, but looks like I'll be too DOMS'ed out for that...

• Like 3

Level 25 Cyborg Assassin

Two days later, and I literally have the worst DOMS I've ever experienced! :o (DOMS is delayed-onset muscle soreness, that you get after strength work). My quads, hamstrings, glutes, abductors and back all feel really tender. It's because I did a lot of unfamiliar and demanding exercises on Thursday, and my muscles are working overtime to adapt to them - which is very good, but they're complaining overtime too lol.

And while I'm complaining, may I mention that I have a bruised palm and foot from football yesteray, a recovering wound from football on Monday and DOMS in my forearm near the elbow from false grip training. Basically I'm temporarily wrecked and feel the need to be melodramatic about it for a change :P

Right now, I'm doing what I can to help my body recover:

• eat all the healthy food, especially protein, carbs and vitamins (usually I'm anti-carb, but they're good for DOMS). I'm eating 200g of chicken for my first course of breakfast, with tomato and lime, and yesterday I had English breakfast, full 3-course Christmas dinner, meat pizza and black forest porridge with protein powder and lots of nuts, so I think I'm doing okay here
  • drink all the water (yep *takes another gulp*)
  • sleep all the hours (not so well on Thursday night - sometimes DOMS gives me funny dreams haha, but made up for it last night with 16 hours between the two nights)
  • keep warm (hmm... actually I'm cold now so I should fix that)
  • light exercise with the same muscles (6 miles of cycling and an hour of football is good for getting the blood flowing through them)
  • invertion (I've found that lying on my bed with my legs up against the wall allows the blood in the legs to be replaced by fresh blood and this helps DOMS... same principle as the hot/cold/hot baths idea that some athletes use, but without the need for a cold bath haha)
I also foam rolled, which doesn't help the DOMS but will let the muscle fibres arrange themselves properly.

Today I'm showing some more friends the rings, so hopefully that will be fun. At least my upper body is mostly fresh. In the evening I have at least one Christmas party, and tomorrow I was planning to go to a different weights gym with another friend, but looks like I'll be too DOMS'ed out for that...

Thanks for posting this! I didn't realise until I read it that there were more things I could do to help with DOMS and I'm glad to have the information.

Thanks for posting this! I didn't realise until I read it that there were more things I could do to help with DOMS and I'm glad to have the information.

Yay, glad to be useful :) For some more extreme suggestions on active recovery for assassin stuff, check out this page (the "RECOVERY TACTICS" section).

Challenge #1: rings: two more of my friends joined me today to try out the rings... one of whom isn't yet strong enough for support hold or inversions, so I felt a bit bad for her, especially as she's been training some strength stuff... but I showed her some crazy swinging stuff and we had fun with that :P

I also managed a set of 8 ring dips, and played with archer rows (rows, with one arm straight but swinging out to the side) which are slightly harder than pull-ups but not as hard as one-handed rows or archer pull-ups.

And we've just had our office Xmas party so I'm drunk-NF'ing wooo :P apologies for any incoherence..

• Like 4

Level 25 Cyborg Assassin