• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sloth Becomes and Iron Maiden

My goal is to meet the standards for a strong woman as laid out in this challenge - in case you don't know, I'm actually a dude, I'll work up to the Beast Tamer at some later time.  I'll take on Eddie as my mascot for this challenge.

Motivation: get stronger and fitter in order to be a better human and mountain biker.

the_number_of_the_beast_180_gram_picture

Yeah, I actually had this poster in my bedroom as a misfit teen.  I think it's still there.

Event 1: The Press - Be able to press a 24kg Kettlebell.

Where I'm at: I can press a 16kg kettlebell for 7 reps.

Plan: Do Get Ups and Presses 3 times a week.  When I work up to 10 clean reps I'll move up to the next bell.

Event 2: Tactical Pull Up with a 24kg Kettlebell.

Where I'm at: 4 clean chin ups or 1 shaky pull up.

Plan: I'm actually going to do chin ups out of consideration for my formerly fragile shoulder.  I'll Grease The Groove with chin ups every other day - I only do chin ups every other day because of tendonitis in my forearm.  I've been following this schedule, if I keep following it I'll be at 6 reps at the end of the challenge.  It's tempting to find a plan that will get me there faster, but this seems to be working for me and I'll keep at it even if it is moving at a Sloth's pace.  When I finally get to 10 reps I'll start adding weight.

Event 3: Pistol with a 24kg Kettlebell

Where I'm at: I can do a half pistol or a full pistol assisted by a chair.  Strength isn't an issue, I need to figure out technique and balance.

Plan: Grease the Groove with assisted pistols.  Once I can do an actual pistol I'll start adding weight.

Sloth will Be Quick or Be Dead

Last summer my aerobic capacity was deficient and kept me from going fast.  This year I'm actually going to work on it.

Goal General Aerobic Fitness = low level cardio + high level cardio, by any means.

Plan: low level cardio will be accomplished by dragging a weighted tire while I walk the dog.  I'll pull the tire at a heart rate of 135-150 bpm for 30 minutes or more at least 3 times a week.  This should build aerobic efficiency.  This can be replaced by running or biking.

High level cardio will be accomplished by kettlebell swings and rotational lunges done at least 3 times a week.  I will swing/lunge until I am at or near my anaerobic threshold (175 bpm) recover and repeat.  This should increase my AT and my ability to recover.

Some Statistics:

Height: 5'11"

Weight: 167.8# (goal weight)

Body Fat: 17.4% = 29.2# (this and following measurement are dubious)

Lean: 138.8#

Muscle: 64.3#

Belly: 34 7/8"

Bicep: 13 1/4"

For my long time followers, all 3 of you, I'm going to ignore Yoga for a while.  Unless LadyShello makes a PVP, then I am totally going to beat her.

• Like 6

I did notice the gaping whole where yoga should be in your challenge. .   I'm still in if you are.  

I also didn't include yoga in my challenge.  I figure I don't really need to set a goal to grade myself because my only goal would be to WIN!   

• Like 1

I like your plan and challenge.Looking forward to see you becoming an Iron Maiden :D 

Question on the chin ups, Chinese Style, it looks like every other day  they have you doing sets of 1 rep, and then every other day moving up a rung(provided you've met 10 sets requirement). How are you programming it with every other day? Are you just skipping the one rep days? I'm going to do this plan. I'll probably do it every other day too, same reason as you .

Also, in the duh category, I bought a clicker to count my reps. Not being an athlete type person it never occurred to me until you mentioned it. So I went ahead and spent the BIG money ($3.00!   ;) ) and bought myself one. Now I have a new fitness toy to play with :) 

• Like 1

I did notice the gaping whole where yoga should be in your challenge. .   I'm still in if you are.  

I also didn't include yoga in my challenge.  I figure I don't really need to set a goal to grade myself because my only goal would be to WIN!   

I'd do it if you do it, but with the holidays and everything else I want to do this quarter, Yoga has fallen far off my screen.

I like your plan and challenge.Looking forward to see you becoming an Iron Maiden :D 

Question on the chin ups, Chinese Style, it looks like every other day  they have you doing sets of 1 rep, and then every other day moving up a rung(provided you've met 10 sets requirement). How are you programming it with every other day? Are you just skipping the one rep days? I'm going to do this plan. I'll probably do it every other day too, same reason as you .

Also, in the duh category, I bought a clicker to count my reps. Not being an athlete type person it never occurred to me until you mentioned it. So I went ahead and spent the BIG money ($3.00!   ;) ) and bought myself one. Now I have a new fitness toy to play with :) 

I've been following the plan, except that I've spread it out, making it take twice as long.  I am going to start dropping the singles after this cycle.  So it should look like:

T: Sets of 1 (done)

Th: sets of 2

Sa: Sets of 3

M: Sets of 4

W: Sets of 2, work up to sets of 5, start over at sets of 3 and work up to sets of 6.  This is assuming I keep making progress, which, of course I will.  This should provide the waviness, keep the volume up, and cut out the junk reps.  If you try to figure out how long it will take to get to 10 reps, it is depressingly long.  Luckily I've developed patience in the last few years.

The first three cycles have you doing singles every other day for a while, which seemed good.  Lots of practice without too much strain.

I actually got my clicker when I was heavily involved in special education and I had to track a student's particular behavior (ex. how many blurt outs in an hour).  This is my third GTG attempt, but the first time that it occurred to me to use the clicker.  And you seem pretty athletic to me.

Love it! Subbed...

Thanks.  Welcome along.

Sloth Becomes and Iron Maiden

My goal is to meet the standards for a strong woman as laid out in this challenge - in case you don't know, I'm actually a dude, I'll work up to the Beast Tamer at some later time.  I'll take on Eddie as my mascot for this challenge.

Motivation: get stronger and fitter in order to be a better human and mountain biker.

For my long time followers, all 3 of you, I'm going to ignore Yoga for a while.  Unless LadyShello makes a PVP, then I am totally going to beat her.

there are 5 of us... actually... but the dragon is fairly new to the following.   

You are already a pretty good human, but its great that you are reaching beyond to improve. 

Subbed for the awesome.

(the song you make me feel like a natural woman entered my head when I read your opening line and is now on endless loop in my head.. thanks.)

Oh man, now I want a clicker too  :playful: I can never remember just how may incline push ups I've done at the end of the day. Looking forward to seeing how this goes for you. I know you will do well  :pirate:

there are 5 of us... actually... but the dragon is fairly new to the following.   

You are already a pretty good human, but its great that you are reaching beyond to improve. 

Subbed for the awesome.

(the song you make me feel like a natural woman entered my head when I read your opening line and is now on endless loop in my head.. thanks.)

Awww, shucks.  I'm not awesome, I'm just a regular guy who keeps plugging along hoping something positive will happen.

Subbing, can't wait to see how things go for you! 

Thanks, me either, but I'm expecting good things this time around.

Thursday

My hams rebel against the tire puling:  Last night I fell into bed and into a deep sleep around 8:30 but was rudely awoken near midnight by a severe cramp in my right hamstring.  As soon as I'd rub one into submission another string of muscle would tighten up.  If it wasn't agonizing it would have been pretty cool, 'cause they popped right out of my leg and are huge when they contracted that hard.  I eventually hobbled into the kitchen where my wife handed my a glass of pickle juice.  Which calmed everything right down.  I love that stuff, it's like magic.  I'll get even with my hams, tomorrow we're pulling the tire again, farther.

Mobility - A super minimal amount of stretching + halos + glute bridges + band pull aparts + Roman chair.

Core - not scheduled.

Training

Get Ups - 2 X 1/1@12kg + 3X1/1@16kg.

Clean & Press - 3, 5, 7, 3, 5, 7 reps @16kg.

Two Hand Swings - 35, 35, 20, 15 reps @24kg.

GTG - 14 X 2 chin ups.

Notes:

• The workout took an hour.  Am I putzing too much?  It seems like I could accomplish more, but I don't think I was wasting time this morning.  I'm having trouble wrapping my head around Loathed's idea of planning workouts by time instead of sets and reps, but I put a big wall clock in the basement and put sticky notes on it to keep me on schedule - I reset it to midnight every time so that I don't have to move the stickies around.

• When I started my get ups and the bell rested against the big bruise from Tuesday's cleans I almost bagged the workout.  I set the bell down and started up the stairs, but then I called myself some ugly names, sucked it up and got back to work.  Also my left wrist needs to get stronger, it wanted to let the bell fall.

• Cleans were much better today, most of them felt like they floated into place, I also took some of the punch out of them by bending at the knees as they landed.  A few still hurt like the dickens though.

• Swings - forearm decided to shut it down on what was supposed to be the last set, I had to pause in the middle.  Endorphin high afterwards, it was good, it lasted all the way until students showed up at school ~1 hr.

• GTG chinups - did 14 sets by 2:00, forearm decided to shut it down.  I could be doing a lot more if my forearm wasn't fragile. :dispirited: 

www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YhY4kEMBOk

This is my song for high rep swings for two reasons.  

#1 The tempo is right for me.  

#2 The CD is stuck in the basement radio.

I'm going to sit back and enjoy the epic ranger v. ranger rest day yoga smack down!

Sloth-like, you have really been called out, too. She won't even let you win by default by not taking any rest days!

• Like 3

METAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAL!   \m/ >.< \m/

Also, have you tried focusing your sight on one certain point while doing anything that requires balance? It's a small tip that works wonders

• Like 1

Sloth-like, you have really been called out, too. She won't even let you win by default by not taking any rest days!

That was my plan too. It'd be so much easier to just work out every day than to stretch, bend, and breathe (being serious).

• Like 1

METAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAL! \m/ >.< \m/

Also, have you tried focusing your sight on one certain point while doing anything that requires balance? It's a small tip that works wonders

I tried it and tipped over. This pistol thing might be harder than I assumed.

low level cardio will be accomplished by dragging a weighted tire while I walk the dog.

Was thinking this was an absolutely awesome visual image. Sorry about the cramping hamstrings though!

Glad that you are back on for yoga. Never mentioned it, but I thought you had the absolute best challenge thread title last time around.

That was my plan too. It'd be so much easier to just work out every day than to stretch, bend, and breathe (being serious).

I knew the temptation would be too much.  

No, jump on in. Based on our history you have a pretty good chance of winning.

That is sadly so true.   :pirate:

• Like 1