• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Was thinking this was an absolutely awesome visual image. Sorry about the cramping hamstrings though!

Glad that you are back on for yoga. Never mentioned it, but I thought you had the absolute best challenge thread title last time around.

Cramping hamstrings are just a thing with me;  I should have expected them.  I was wondering about the visual image and if people would gawk, but nope, everyone avoids eye contact with a guy dragging a tire while walking a tiny dog.

Okay, I'm in but I think the real show down is between you and LadyShello  :playful:

Sweet.  My victory will be that much more complete.

I've always said that the thing that I don't like about Yoga is that you can't win.  Now that I can I might start to enjoy it.

I'm here. The whole strong woman part had me crying with laughter.

Welcome along.  I've known a few women who could kick my ass.  It's high time I be able to defend myself.  

Friday Update

Mobility - done = stretching all the stuff.

Core - will do planks in a moment.

Training - off day tire dragging, 1/2 hour ~ 1mile, maybe more.

GTG Chin Ups - off day.

GTG Pistols - Oops.  Forgot.

I dropped the weight on the tire to 25#.  This seemed about right.  It wasn't a strain on my body, but I was breathing hard.  I'll keep the weight here for a week or two and probably up it.

Conversation with my wife:

"Wow, You're sweaty."

"Yeah, I was dragging the tire."

"Ummm, you didn't drag it around the neighborhood did you?"

"Yeah, why?  Where else would I drag it."

"Uhhh, no reason, I hope you had fun."

It's nice to be married to someone understanding.

Right now I'm filling up with meat, fruit and veggies because I'm on my way to Nerd Night.  Hopefully that'll keep me from filling up on crap I don't normally eat.  It might just increase today's total calorie load, we'll see, it's an experiment.  I never did get a new game.  I went to the game store but couldn't figure out which games might be the most easily accessible to our blind member.

iron-maiden-iron-maiden-17461799-1000-92

Getting ready for Nerd Night.

• Like 2

I'm trying to visualize dragging and tire and walking a tiny dog.  Was the dog wearing a sweater??? 

I'm thinking we might actually need a little photo evidence of this...

• Like 1

The dog does not wear a sweater. I'll post a picture when I figure out how to do it without using Tapatalk.

Filling up before Nerd Night worked like a charm. I ate one piece of pizza and ignored the snacks.

Saturday - I did all the stuff. Pressed the 16 kg KB a whole bunch. I barely made the 10 sets of 2 chin ups, but that's because I was gone all day. Pistols elude me.

Sunday- I didn't do any of the things, but I got in one last mountain bike ride before the snow starts to fly ~19 miles. Wildlife count:

1 bald eagle

1 mystery hawk

1 shaggy doe

Hosts of squirrels

Heaps of geese and ducks

1 beaver

1 really hairy almost naked guy drinking beer - it was about freezing out too.

Pretty good for an urban trail.

• Like 5

My hams rebel against the tire puling:  

Training

Get Ups - 2 X 1/1@12kg + 3X1/1@16kg.

Clean & Press - 3, 5, 7, 3, 5, 7 reps @16kg.

Two Hand Swings - 35, 35, 20, 15 reps @24kg.

GTG - 14 X 2 chin ups.

Notes:

• The workout took an hour.  Am I putzing too much?  It seems like I could accomplish more, but I don't think I was wasting time this morning.  I'm having trouble wrapping my head around Loathed's idea of planning workouts by time instead of sets and reps, but I put a big wall clock in the basement and put sticky notes on it to keep me on schedule - I reset it to midnight every time so that I don't have to move the stickies around.

• When I started my get ups and the bell rested against the big bruise from Tuesday's cleans I almost bagged the workout.  I set the bell down and started up the stairs, but then I called myself some ugly names, sucked it up and got back to work.  Also my left wrist needs to get stronger, it wanted to let the bell fall.

• Cleans were much better today, most of them felt like they floated into place, I also took some of the punch out of them by bending at the knees as they landed.  A few still hurt like the dickens though.

Glad you rebounded from the cramps. Sometimes mine can lag on for days. Never tried pickle juice but the speed of turnaround you report suggests that it's more psychosomatic so no guarantee it will work for everyone.

What's taking most the time on your workout. An hour is kind of long for that.

If you want to go with my idea, assuming that TGU, clean and press and swings are your entire workout, you could easily do 20 minutes of each. Take breaks as you need them. Break them into sets as you see fit but try to get the most out of your twenty minutes or, try it as a circuit. Do TGU X 2, C+P 5/5, swing 30 then start over every eight minutes or so (the right amount to time that if you go straight through, you just get a couple minutes rest before it kicks off again). You should see 6-10 rounds and be completely toasted at the end of the hour. It may be too much the first time.

Consider getting an pair of wrist bands (like from the 80s) while your dealing with the bruise. They're cheap and will help. Many kettlebell lifters use Kettleguards all the time. Personally, I just developed a pad of flesh on my arms and bone spurs on my wrists (not recommended).

For the next challenge, my theme will be "mystery hawk."

Sounds like a cool challenge; I'd follow it.  The hawk in question was large like a bald eagle, but no white head and no white belly like a red tailed hawk.  Immature bald eagle?  I don't know birds well enough to tell.

Guess Sasquatch didn't read the Forest Network memo that he needs to lay off the beer and stop stealing campers' clothes. Sheesh. That guy...

Dude was short and fat, more like a dwarf than a sasquatch.  He biked in though.  The thing that got me was, he had a rucksack full of beer, he could tell that I was hot and sweaty too, but he didn't offer me any, maybe I was supposed to strip down first.

The big question is has anyone drawn first blood in the yoga challenge yet?

Shello and I planned training today to avoid it.  Marymama got her Yoga in, so she has a definitive lead.  Are you still doing Yoga?  You could whoop on us too.

Its Go time.  

Woop! Woop!  

Actually, I try not to have a stop time.  It's too hard to start back up these days.

Glad you rebounded from the cramps. Sometimes mine can lag on for days. Never tried pickle juice but the speed of turnaround you report suggests that it's more psychosomatic so no guarantee it will work for everyone.

What's taking most the time on your workout. An hour is kind of long for that.

If you want to go with my idea, assuming that TGU, clean and press and swings are your entire workout, you could easily do 20 minutes of each. Take breaks as you need them. Break them into sets as you see fit but try to get the most out of your twenty minutes or, try it as a circuit. Do TGU X 2, C+P 5/5, swing 30 then start over every eight minutes or so (the right amount to time that if you go straight through, you just get a couple minutes rest before it kicks off again). You should see 6-10 rounds and be completely toasted at the end of the hour. It may be too much the first time.

Consider getting an pair of wrist bands (like from the 80s) while your dealing with the bruise. They're cheap and will help. Many kettlebell lifters use Kettleguards all the time. Personally, I just developed a pad of flesh on my arms and bone spurs on my wrists (not recommended).

Bro, don't tell me that it's psychosomatic.  If I know it's a placebo affect it will stop working on me.  You don't know how many quack cures have been ruined that way.  I first read about this here and it's worked like a charm ever since.  I always carry flask of pickle juice with me when I do an endurance race.  Cramps are a fatigue/new exercise thing for me, first long race of the year kills me.  Days long cramps?  Dude, that's awful.

That workout takes an hour including all of the mobility.  I'd like to just jump into the workout like I used to, but that isn't prudent right now, maybe if I wasn't training before the break of dawn.  I tried spreading out the stretching stuff through out the day, but I don't actually do it if I don't do it first thing in the morning.

Right now it's 10+ minutes for the get ups, 15ish for the presses, and 15 for the swings.  I'd like to do more, but I can't spend more time on it.    I'll try circuits like you suggest.  Honestly though, I waste a lot of time folding laundry, putting away tools, and other things that distract me in the basement.  I'm just not very good at being still during the rest between sets.  I thought about an alarm app on the phone to keep me moving, but that's another big distractor.  I put the gymboss on my wishlist, maybe I'll get one for Christmas.

I thought wrist bands were cheating?  I've never bruised before, I think I'll be okay once it's healed, but I'll keep them in mind.

That workout takes an hour including all of the mobility.  I'd like to just jump into the workout like I used to, but that isn't prudent right now, maybe if I wasn't training before the break of dawn.  I tried spreading out the stretching stuff through out the day, but I don't actually do it if I don't do it first thing in the morning.

Right now it's 10+ minutes for the get ups, 15ish for the presses, and 15 for the swings.  I'd like to do more, but I can't spend more time on it.    I'll try circuits like you suggest.  Honestly though, I waste a lot of time folding laundry, putting away tools, and other things that distract me in the basement.

I thought wrist bands were cheating?  I've never bruised before, I think I'll be okay once it's healed, but I'll keep them in mind.

ah, including warm up. It's time to adjust your expectations (I have this problem too).

Instead of talking about an hour, how long is your warm up and then how long is your work set, do you need time for a cooldown? Nothing wrong with this, but it makes it easier to frame the workout. If you have an hour but you need to spend fifteen minutes to warm up and also cooldown then you know you really have thirty minutes to work. Now you can really maximize that thirty minute.

TGUs are a really slow lift, are you doing them heavy and getting a workout or are they an extension of your mobility work (lighter and higher rep)? They could be removed from the workout and placed in your cool down. Now you have two workout exercises and could add in a third, or not at your leisure.

If you're inclined to leave the workout area, pick up the weight. My wife does this a ton and I have done it at times. It's really easy to burn an hour farting around and not training. I don't say anything to my wife about it because she's happy with her work output. I get the impression that you aren't so you need to kick it up a notch to get what you want from it. I will tell you, I can't do swings or presses for fifteen minutes. That's a long time. You're about a half a step away from just doing one arm long cycles. Give that a try and see how you do (once your wrist feels better).

RKCs tend to mark wrist bands as cheating. I don't use them because I learned from that school of thought. They are extremely common though. I can't think of a single way in which they are actually cheating. It doesn't make the movement any easier, it doesn't take anything away from you, there's no real world reason why your sensory nerves in your forearms shouldn't work properly. 

ah, including warm up. It's time to adjust your expectations (I have this problem too).

Instead of talking about an hour, how long is your warm up and then how long is your work set, do you need time for a cooldown? Nothing wrong with this, but it makes it easier to frame the workout. If you have an hour but you need to spend fifteen minutes to warm up and also cooldown then you know you really have thirty minutes to work. Now you can really maximize that thirty minute.

TGUs are a really slow lift, are you doing them heavy and getting a workout or are they an extension of your mobility work (lighter and higher rep)? They could be removed from the workout and placed in your cool down. Now you have two workout exercises and could add in a third, or not at your leisure.

If you're inclined to leave the workout area, pick up the weight. My wife does this a ton and I have done it at times. It's really easy to burn an hour farting around and not training. I don't say anything to my wife about it because she's happy with her work output. I get the impression that you aren't so you need to kick it up a notch to get what you want from it. I will tell you, I can't do swings or presses for fifteen minutes. That's a long time. You're about a half a step away from just doing one arm long cycles. Give that a try and see how you do (once your wrist feels better).

RKCs tend to mark wrist bands as cheating. I don't use them because I learned from that school of thought. They are extremely common though. I can't think of a single way in which they are actually cheating. It doesn't make the movement any easier, it doesn't take anything away from you, there's no real world reason why your sensory nerves in your forearms shouldn't work properly. 

My workset is about 40 minutes if I don't wander off.  My warmup includes my rehab/prehab for shoulder and back, I could start to back that off now, but that makes me nervous.

The get ups are only 12 and 16kg, but for me, that's heavy.  I think they're a nice bridge between the warmup and working.  My cooldown is jogging up the stairs to grab a cool shower and hope that's enough top stop me sweating before I dress for work.

Burn an hour farting around is a good way to describe what happens.  Actually, that describes my whole life.  Discipline must be instilled.

Self-Discpline.jpg

The RKC must be where I got that idea.  My first kettlebell experience was with Andrea DuCane who is part of the Dragon Door/RKC heirarchy. But you're making a lot of sense; there's no reason to beat myself up if I don't have to.

• Like 1

Shello and I planned training today to avoid it.  Marymama got her Yoga in, so she has a definitive lead.  Are you still doing Yoga?  You could whoop on us too.

I was mostly doing yoga to taunt you and when you stopped I stopped also. But I may have to get my fat guy yoga videos out again. Seems like a tortoise like me might be able to win this. But then again if everybody in the story is a tortoise who actually wins?

Also what happened during Nerd Night? What game did you end up playing? I know you only ate one slice of pizza, but you passed up all the other good details.

Also, when are you going to clean up that mess you made on my thread :) ? Actually I was going to say about the same thing you did but you beat me to it, so thanks for taking that bullet for me. Not sure how to comment about spinal injuries.

Shello and I planned training today to avoid it. Marymama got her Yoga in, so she has a definitive lead. Are you still doing Yoga? You could whoop on us too.

I was mostly doing yoga to taunt you and when you stopped I stopped also. But I may have to get my fat guy yoga videos out again. Seems like a tortoise like me might be able to win this. But then again if everybody in the story is a tortoise who actually wins?

Also what happened during Nerd Night? What game did you end up playing? I know you only ate one slice of pizza, but you passed up all the other good details.

Also, when are you going to clean up that mess you made on my thread :) ? Actually I was going to say about the same thing you did but you beat me to it, so thanks for taking that bullet for me. Not sure how to comment about spinal injuries.

Yoga away my friend. You could still taunt me.

Nerd night was a good time. We played the D&D board game again. We have a couple of people who have never played it before, but are intimidated by the real game. We also played pandemic, we lost badly but it wads lot of fun. A cooperative game certainly has a different dynamic.

I gave it a shot. I wasn't sure how to reply.

The SnowPocalypse

Minneapolis had/is having it's first snowfall.  Luckily I walk to work and have not been part of the hundreds of pile ups as people remember how to drive in the snow.

Monday - Day 1

Mobility - stretching + halos + pull aparts + glute bridges + Roman chair

Core - not scheduled

Training - Clean & Press @ 16kg 4,6,8,6,4 reps

GTG ChinUps - 10 x 4 reps (current PR)

Notes: Training was curtailed because I wanted to shovel the slushy snow off of the sidewalk before it turned to ice.  I did this both before and after work.  I live on a corner with about 8 million feet of sidewalk.  I pressed in order to call it a workout and avoid the Yoga clause.  I was really pleased with the chin ups, this is as many as I've been able to do in a long time.  The first and last sets were real grinds.  I'm looking forward to sets of 5 next week.

Shoveling is certainly exercise, but in a lot of ways it's junk exercise.  It's hard enough to make you sore the next day, but it won't build muscle, it gets you hot and sweaty, but it doesn't get your heart rate up enough to build cardio, it burns calories, but not as many as the increase in appetite it causes (I ate 4 big bowls of chili at dinner last night).  That being said I enjoy shoveling and there's a satisfaction when you see your sidewalk clear edge to edge all the way down to the cement.

Mrs. Sloth put chia seeds in the granola this time around.  It feels like they expanded in my belly like the gunk they put into diapers.  If I ever need to lose weight again I'm going to start my meals with this stuff, it'll be a while before I'm hungry again.

I'm on ADD meds, but not a stimulant, so they build up in your system before they start to work. I've been wondering if they're still working, I was actually thinking about going to the doctor and getting something different.  But I've been accidently off of them since this weekend.  Today it has been long enough for them to have cleared my system and OMG am I a mess.  I guess the meds are working.

Following along. Good luck this round.

Thanks, I'm glad to have you along.

Today's ear worm.  It came on the radio as I was shoveling snow again.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdcvsZRij40

• Like 1

The SnowPocalypse

Minneapolis had/is having it's first snowfall.  Luckily I walk to work and have not been part of the hundreds of pile ups as people remember how to drive in the snow.

Monday - Day 1

Mobility - stretching + halos + pull aparts + glute bridges + Roman chair

Core - not scheduled

Training - Clean & Press @ 16kg 4,6,8,6,4 reps

GTG ChinUps - 10 x 4 reps (current PR)

Notes: Training was curtailed because I wanted to shovel the slushy snow off of the sidewalk before it turned to ice.  I did this both before and after work.  I live on a corner with about 8 million feet of sidewalk.  I pressed in order to call it a workout and avoid the Yoga clause.  I was really pleased with the chin ups, this is as many as I've been able to do in a long time.  The first and last sets were real grinds.  I'm looking forward to sets of 5 next week.

Sneaky sneaky.  There is also the 1 yoga/week minimum clause so I'll get you either way.  Today, unfortunately, is my rest day.  I suppose it doesn't need to be.  I could workout instead.  But I tend to make Tuesdays a rest day because I have materials to prepare for an online class that I need to get posted by tomorrow so I need every minute I can find.  15 minutes of yoga is quicker than a workout and might even put me in the right frame of mind.  I think I might prefer to shovel snow though.  We only got about 1 inch and it only stuck to half of my driveway anyway.  

I'm on ADD meds, but not a stimulant, so they build up in your system before they start to work. I've been wondering if they're still working, I was actually thinking about going to the doctor and getting something different.  But I've been accidently off of them since this weekend.  Today it has been long enough for them to have cleared my system and OMG am I a mess.  I guess the meds are working.

Intuniv?   My son is on ADD meds as well and we wanted to avoid stimulant drugs.  That's the one he is on and it builds up.  Once we went about 4 days without it and those were THE LONGEST 4 days of my life.  At one point he was literally jumping on all fours on the couch for no apparent reason.  I mean, I know he's a kid and all, but seriously.  Even medicated the boy never stops talking.   Whenever he is off them for any longer than a day and has to catch back up he gets super sleepy and becomes practically narcoleptic.  Be careful.  And for the record, that would be no excuse to skip yoga.  

• Like 1

Sneaky sneaky.  There is also the 1 yoga/week minimum clause so I'll get you either way.  Today, unfortunately, is my rest day.  I suppose it doesn't need to be.  I could workout instead.  But I tend to make Tuesdays a rest day because I have materials to prepare for an online class that I need to get posted by tomorrow so I need every minute I can find.  15 minutes of yoga is quicker than a workout and might even put me in the right frame of mind.  I think I might prefer to shovel snow though.  We only got about 1 inch and it only stuck to half of my driveway anyway.  

Intuniv?   My son is on ADD meds as well and we wanted to avoid stimulant drugs.  That's the one he is on and it builds up.  Once we went about 4 days without it and those were THE LONGEST 4 days of my life.  At one point he was literally jumping on all fours on the couch for no apparent reason.  I mean, I know he's a kid and all, but seriously.  Even medicated the boy never stops talking.   Whenever he is off them for any longer than a day and has to catch back up he gets super sleepy and becomes practically narcoleptic.  Be careful.  And for the record, that would be no excuse to skip yoga.  

Straterra.  It sounds similar though.  I get hyperfocused several hours after I take it, so I can't take it after noon or I can't sleep, although I think it helps me sleep if I take it on schedule because I'm not paying attention to every little sound in the house.  Coming on and off it doesn't affect me much except I get nauseous.  If I go off it for a while (like the summer), the first sign that it's working is that I walk into traffic and almost get run over.  With ADD I always know what's going on around me without having to pay attention to it.  I called it driving by zen before I was diagnosed.  When I go back on my meds I have to retrain myself to pay attention to things and to relearn how to have "eyes in the back of my head" while teaching.

I'm ADD without the hyperactivity, but my stepson sounds like your boy.  It takes some serious patience to raise a boy like that.  I'm worried that SlothGirl has it too.  I took a day off and volunteered in her classroom and 24 kids were sitting still and listening to the teacher, her and another boy were listening, but they were sliding all over their chairs, fiddling with the things in their desk, kicking things, falling out of her seat, also, the fact that I had to turn the basement into a monkey cage for her is a pretty big sign.  She's only in kindergarten and it's not affecting her learning, but I feel bad for her.  It is hard, painful even, to have so much energy and have to be in school.

Also, today is a scheduled rest day.

I'm ADD without the hyperactivity, but my stepson sounds like your boy.  It takes some serious patience to raise a boy like that.  I'm worried that SlothGirl has it too.  I took a day off and volunteered in her classroom and 24 kids were sitting still and listening to the teacher, her and another boy were listening, but they were sliding all over their chairs, fiddling with the things in their desk, kicking things, falling out of her seat, also, the fact that I had to turn the basement into a monkey cage for her is a pretty big sign.  She's only in kindergarten and it's not affecting her learning, but I feel bad for her.  It is hard, painful even, to have so much energy and have to be in school.

Also, today is a scheduled rest day.

It didn't start affecting my son's learning until 1st grade. And honestly, it was probably affecting his socialization more than his learning.  He can be super focused on reading and has always loved it.  He has an insane super power to retain facts he's learned.  However, his fidgeting, making noises (inappropriate ones too  :pirate: ), constantly moving about made him a nuisance to those around him.  He always felt like he was getting into trouble when he felt like I he couldn't control it and it felt normal to him.  

Battle of the Yoga Day..