• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

so much good stuff in this thread...I did my yoga today so I don't have to be sheepish, but I'm not in the challenge so hopefully won't be taunted :nightmare:

Agree with you about shoveling being frustrating junk exercise. Was reading another thread today where someone was worn out from trudging home carrying heavy groceries. Sort of in the same category. On the one hand, it would be great if we could be more active in our daily lives, but stuff like this reminds me that the gym really is a big playground.

many years ago we lived in Illinoise, I used to shovel our driveway for exercise and/or the hope of going into labor. That is hard work!!! Especially if your belly sticks way out in front of you. 

It didn't start affecting my son's learning until 1st grade. And honestly, it was probably affecting his socialization more than his learning.  He can be super focused on reading and has always loved it.  He has an insane super power to retain facts he's learned.  However, his fidgeting, making noises (inappropriate ones too  :pirate: ), constantly moving about made him a nuisance to those around him.  He always felt like he was getting into trouble when he felt like I he couldn't control it and it felt normal to him.  

Battle of the Yoga Day..  

I taught second grade for a few years and I recognize that well.  I think the biggest harm is in the student's esteem related to school.  It doesn't take too long before the student decides that the teachers are unfair and that school isn't for him.  I hope your son is enjoying school now.  I try not to be a worrywart, but I worry for SlothGirl.

Congratulations on first blood.

so much good stuff in this thread...I did my yoga today so I don't have to be sheepish, but I'm not in the challenge so hopefully won't be taunted :nightmare:

Agree with you about shoveling being frustrating junk exercise. Was reading another thread today where someone was worn out from trudging home carrying heavy groceries. Sort of in the same category. On the one hand, it would be great if we could be more active in our daily lives, but stuff like this reminds me that the gym really is a big playground.

Well, thanks.  This feels disjointed and random to me, but I guess it represents my life.

I won't taunt you, but some of the people around here are really mean.

I shouldn't have called it junk exercise, it just doesn't translate into me becoming strong as a strong woman very well.  If I did physical labor every day I'm sure I would get stronger.

many years ago we lived in Illinoise, I used to shovel our driveway for exercise and/or the hope of going into labor. That is hard work!!! Especially if your belly sticks way out in front of you. 

I really don't know how to respond to this.  I wanted to be a smart Alec, but I've got nothing.

Congratulations to you too.

Tuesday

Mobility - stretching

Core - scheduled, not done

Training - Tire dragging scheduled, not done

PVP Yoga - not done

I let myself sleep in thinking I was just going to stretch and drag the tire around, but when I woke up there was more snow and I shoveled instead.  It was light and fluffy, but it was still time consuming.  I took the kids sledding after-school; I figured going up the hill over and over would be enough for cardio, but SlothBoy wouldn't sled.  Instead of running around I sat at the top of the hill and listened to him cry about his running nose (he has a booger obsession) while SlothGirl had fun.

When I got home I found out he was actually sick (103 deg. fever) and very tired; I felt like a cad for making him sit in the cold when he was miserable.  I got him bathed, ready for bed, fed, and in bed by 7:00, him wailing the whole time.  By 8:30 I got SlothGirl taken car of and considered hitting my core and Yoga, but decided instead to go to bed.  I was asleep by 8:45.  He woke us up at 12:30 and that was the end of my sleep until about 4:30 (when I usually wake up).  So I slept in again.

Wednesday

Unscheduled rest day - I did none of the things except a minimal amount of stretching.

I teach a Lego robotics class after school then pick up the girl for dance class, have dinner, and Boom, it's bed time.  I want to do my Yoga so as not to fall too far behind, but man I am I tired once I get the kids to bed.

• Like 1

I taught second grade for a few years and I recognize that well.  I think the biggest harm is in the student's esteem related to school.  It doesn't take too long before the student decides that the teachers are unfair and that school isn't for him.  I hope your son is enjoying school now.  I try not to be a worrywart, but I worry for SlothGirl.

Congratulations on first blood.

That is very true.  I'm sure as the girl gets a bit older it will either be more pronounced and then be in a position to treat and make sure her treatment in school takes that into consideration.  my son really enjoys school most of the time.  He has issues with being teased/bullying (honesty I think it's tough in this age to find the line between these two) but his teachers these past couple years have identified with him a little more and are able to coach him better.  

As for first blood, it's overrated.  It's tough that you have so much going on.  Hopefully things turn around a bit and you can get into the game.  Plus, I am sure you will have plenty of opportunity to catch up.

I won't taunt you, but some of the people around here are really mean.

:pirate:

I teach a Lego robotics class after school then pick up the girl for dance class, have dinner, and Boom, it's bed time.  I want to do my Yoga so as not to fall too far behind, but man I am I tired once I get the kids to bed.

Lego robotics sounds pretty awesome!  

• Like 1

marymama08, on 11 Nov 2014 - 7:45 PM, said:snapback.png

I really don't know how to respond to this.  I wanted to be a smart Alec, but I've got nothing.

I was hoping for a smart alec remark  :playful: 

You know how many kids I have. I was always looking for some way to make labor start.  

Ugh. The spotty internet keeps eating my posts. Let's try without the quotes.

LadyShello - I'm glad your boy has good teachers, I'm biased of course, but I think they make a world of difference.

Newton - That made my wife laugh and she has a lack of humor toward tire dragging.

Loathed - I'll try brevity now that I know it's appreciated.

Mary - I grew up old school Catholic. I had a few friends with excess siblings and a mother named Mary. With all those kids none of their mothers ever touched a shovel. I've still got nothing, you have made me afraid to shovel though.

• Like 2

Ugh. The spotty internet keeps eating my posts. Let's try without the quotes.

LadyShello - I'm glad your boy has good teachers, I'm biased of course, but I think they make a world of difference.

Newton - That made my wife laugh and she has a lack of humor toward tire dragging.

Loathed - I'll try brevity now that I know it's appreciated.

Mary - I grew up old school Catholic. I had a few friends with excess siblings and a mother named Mary. With all those kids none of their mothers ever touched a shovel. I've still got nothing, you have made me afraid to shovel though.

shoveling never actually worked. volleyball on the other hand.........be very afraid of volleyball!!!!  :playful:

Tl;dr version, I worked out today.

Your thread is the one I have to do the most work to understand, but the pay off for reading your thread is worth it. TRX, Shovelglove, The Badger, Ironman of Belgium, Greasing the Groove and 4x4x4 (still haven't figured this one out yet) it puts my Googleing skills to the test. But I come out feeling smarter after I read your threads. By the way how many units of Bearlee have you gotten in? Think I found a flaw in your new measurement system. At least I'm making the comment to you and not a woman so I shouldn't get a sexual harassment suit filed against me.

Your thread is the one I have to do the most work to understand, but the pay off for reading your thread is worth it. TRX, Shovelglove, The Badger, hardman of Belgium, Greasing the Groove and 4x4x4 (still haven't figured this one out yet) it puts my Googleing skills to the test. But I come out feeling smarter after I read your threads. By the way how many units of Bearlee have you gotten in? Think I found a flaw in your new measurement system. At least I'm making the comment to you and not a woman so I shouldn't get a sexual harassment suit filed against me.

BearLee Units?  I can't believe I missed that, I mean I spend all day with middle schoolers.

I'm glad you're enjoying my threads.  I don't think I'll have much new stuff happening until spring, so you'll be able wander off for a while without missing much.  4X4X4 would be sets X reps X time unit (usually seconds, sometimes by count), if I wrote 4 X 5/5 that means 4 sets of 5 each side.  It took me a while to settle into a reporting system; I think this one'll stick.

Hopefully I'll meet the Iron Maiden challenge by spring, after that I want to focus on becoming a Hard Man.  BTW my bucket list only has two official items, ride the world's largest water slide (are you ready?) and to watch the spring cycling classics in Belgium.

Friday - Active Rest

Mobility - stretching, short rolling session, chiropractor visit.

Core - nope

Training - dragged tire ~3/4 mile, I was slow ~30minutes.

GTG Chin Ups - not scheduled

GTG Pistols - Doh! I've forgotten about these.

PVP Yoga - 2.5 BearLee Units (15 minutes)

Other - 2 rounds of Neila Rey Hunger Games workout.

Notes: The little guy has foot and mouth disease, not a lot of sleeping going on around here.  I'l prolly be stuck in the house all weekend, if the internet stays up I'l catch up on my forum browsing.

I'm going to have to throw a few bricks in the tire to compensate for all of the icy, unshoveled sidewalks.  I had better get started on the pistols, new things are always hard for me to get rolling with.

We started doing the Neila Rey workouts in my homeroom.  We usually only do one round, maybe two, but the kids are getting better and we had some extra time so I challenged the class to race me through all 3 rounds to be at the level one.  The kids kicked my butt, almost all of them did three rounds by the time I got two in.  I guess my issue isn't time management, it's just that I'm slow.  I've always said that I'm 100% slow twitch.

Anyway, I'm happy for them, it's just a few minutes a day, but they are much more physically capable then they were a few weeks ago.  A lot of that is due to mindset.  We did have our first rebellion, one of the kids who is a big, strong football player just quit and walked out the door.  When we started he was obviously better than everyone, but going for speed it turned into a cardio session and he couldn't keep up with the kids he previously made fun of.  

Neila Rey is a great resource.  You've probably all been there, but it was new to me. Tons of body weight workouts and some good information.  I spent a good chunk of time on Friday looking through it when I should have been grading quizzes and labs.

Edit: Loathed, I don't think brevity is my thing.

• Like 2

Too bad one of the kids quit, but still awesome that the others are there. Helps them and probably pushes you too. I am 150% slow twitch. Once in a while a force myself to do something AMRAP, and then I die. Which means I should do it more often, but I probably won't

Too bad one of the kids quit, but still awesome that the others are there. Helps them and probably pushes you too. I am 150% slow twitch. Once in a while a force myself to do something AMRAP, and then I die. Which means I should do it more often, but I probably won't

The surprise isn't that one quit, the surprise is that it took so long.  I'll try and reel him back in on Monday.  Yeah, I'd better do some sort of speed work before I challenge them again.

speedwork%252520meme_thumb%25255B1%25255

Saturday - Training Day

Mobility - stretching + short rolling + halos + pull aparts + glute bridges + Roman chair

Core - 2 X 30s. one arm planks + 2 X 30 seconds side planks (both 2X each side)

Training - Get Ups 2 X 1/1 @ 12kg + 3 X 1/1 @ 16kg

Following done in a circuit:

Clean & Press 1X5/5 @ 12kg + 6, 7, 8 reps @ 16 kg

Sandbag rotational lunge 3 X 9/9 @ 50#

Inverted Row 6, 7, 8 reps

2 hand KB Swing 3 X 20 @ 24 kg

GTG Chin Ups - 13 X 3 reps (so far, I'll probably get 2 or 3 more sets in tonight).

Pistol Practice - 3 sets of 5/5 split squats

PVP Yoga - not required

Notes: It is a meh day.  I only did 60% of what I wanted because meh.  Maybe I need some sleep, maybe I need some progress, maybe I need it to be closer to mountain biking season, maybe I need some variety.  Meh, I'm fine, I'll keep doing what I'm doing.

CNR_meh.jpg

I floated up on the morning sets of chin ups, afternoon sets I popped up, the last set was harder, I'll probably do a couple of more.  I was too tight somewhere to do pistols even with an assist, subbed in split squats.

It's going to take a long time before I'm as strong as a strong woman.

• Like 2

Hey there....have to ask. Isn't an Iron Maiden the thing that was on Maid Marian in Men in Tights?

Excited to see you continue to work on your yoga/flexibility! 

Also, can't believe it's already snowing where you are. After moving to California, my current question is whether I need to wear a sweatshirt (usually the answer is yes, as it is windy here in the desert and at night gets a bit chilly).

Hey there....have to ask. Isn't an Iron Maiden the thing that was on Maid Marian in Men in Tights?

Excited to see you continue to work on your yoga/flexibility! 

Also, can't believe it's already snowing where you are. After moving to California, my current question is whether I need to wear a sweatshirt (usually the answer is yes, as it is windy here in the desert and at night gets a bit chilly).

I haven't seen that movie, sounds about right.

Thanks.  I figure Yoga is like eating vegetables, I might not like it right now, but I know it's good for me and if I keep it up it'll grow on me.

The snow's a bit early, but if it's going to be cold I'd rather it be snowy so that we can do outside activities.  I love the desert, I wish I could spend more time there.  The last time I was there was in Nevada, it was rainy, but we did some hiking and saw some cool sights anyway.

You didn't do the Neila Rey "Hold My Beer" workout I sent you last challenge at school?

PVP Yoga not required? It's always required if you want to win.

For some reason they don't like me to have beer at school.  I don't know why not, a morning beer would transform my teaching.

Shello wrote the challenge up very carefully, doing it on a workout day wouldn't benefit me.

Sunday morning is for Americana.

American Routes is rerunning their John Prine show.  If you like this genre at all, you owe it to your self to give it a listen.

The correlation between my weight and sleep seems to be that when I don't sleep I drop weight.  The problem is that it comes off with muscle and goes back on as fat mostly.  I dropped to 165#, so I'm at Diet Def Con One - emergency meat with my breakfast.  Breakfast is 3 eggs, 1/3# cheap burger, big scoop of cottage cheese scrambled together and topped off with hot sauce - it's not that good, but it's filling.  I'll prolly eat again when the kids get up.

Coming up today, bike ride (if the kids aren't off the chain), yoga, shoveling snow, and something active with SlothGirl.

BearLee Units?  I can't believe I missed that, I mean I spend all day with middle schoolers.

I'm glad you're enjoying my threads.  I don't think I'll have much new stuff happening until spring, so you'll be able wander off for a while without missing much.  4X4X4 would be sets X reps X time unit (usually seconds, sometimes by count), if I wrote 4 X 5/5 that means 4 sets of 5 each side.  It took me a while to settle into a reporting system; I think this one'll stick.

Isn't it funny that your following a person's thread that lives only 10 miles away from one of your buck list items. When your ready let's do it. If you can make it down here I can put you up and I'll even get the tickets. Verruckt!!!

photo%20(2).JPG

It's also not just the exercises I don't understand. I've had to pull out the urban dictionary more than a couple of times.

Iron Maiden is a medieval torture device, Maid Marian was wearing a chastity belt, completely different type of torture. :tongue: History major here. :)

Oh, and I read the post ages ago about drinking pickle juice after a run to help ease leg cramps, tried it yesterday and worked great! Thanks for posting it!

Coming up today, bike ride (if the kids aren't off the chain), yoga, shoveling snow, and something active with SlothGirl.

I did go on a bike ride. It was about 10F (-12C) out. There were a surprising number of runners and bikers out. I only went out for 10 miles, it took 51 minutes, which was long enough. I was slow (~10 mph) and felt bad about it until I got off the rutted path and hit a paved road and suddenly was going 18 mph for the same effort. The goal of the ride was to see if my gear and body were up for it; I'd like to do some semi-regular off-road rides this winter. I forgot the most important piece of gear, a wool sock to shield my Sloth unit, other wise I'm all set.

All my winter gear is from when I worked in a bike shop, which was 15-20 years ago, so it's all raggedy. I don't ride enough to justify new winter gear though. Bike stuff is crazy expensive.

Yoga didn't happen. The snow was light. The activity was an indoor park, I spent about an hour and a half crawling after the kids. It was good fun and great shoulder mobility, does that count for Yoga?

Awesome that you bring Neila Rey into the classroom. What a great idea!

Thanks, I've been trying to incorporate movement into my class for a few years, but this is the first year I've had time to really fit it in.

Isn't it funny that your following a person's thread that lives only 10 miles away from one of your buck list items. When your ready let's do it. If you can make it down here I can put you up and I'll even get the tickets. Verruckt!!!

It's also not just the exercises I don't understand. I've had to pull out the urban dictionary more than a couple of times.

I won't hold you to the tickets, they're probably stupid expensive, but I'd enjoy your company. Hopefully our family road trip will take us through Kansas City this year. Although it's only a six hour drive...

Urban dictionary? Has my inner city students' vernacular rubbed off on me?

Iron Maiden is a medieval torture device, Maid Marian was wearing a chastity belt, completely different type of torture. :tongue: History major here. :)

Oh, and I read the post ages ago about drinking pickle juice after a run to help ease leg cramps, tried it yesterday and worked great! Thanks for posting it!

n=2! It must be true! I'm glad it worked for you. If you are prone to cramping, I'd suggest carrying a little flask of it with you when you race.

I feel like I've been ignoring my peeps.  Not to worry folks, I've been keeping up on your threads, I read when I wait, and I have a lot of things that I wait for.  Sitting down and commenting though, I'm not finding time for that.

Week 1 Update Sloth Becomes an Iron Maiden

It was a hard week with hoof and mouth disease upsetting our household and sleep patterns.

#1 - Press 24kg. A

I pressed and got up 3 times last week using 16kg.  I tested the 20kg and it wouldn't budge.

#2 - Tactical Pull Up. A

I greased the groove 3 times.  Tomorrow I'll be at 5 reps.  I'm really liking this, I didn't get much traction the last couple of time I tried it, but I'm very confident that I'll keep moving up (at my glacial pace.)

#3 - Pistol. F

I keep forgetting to do this.  I really think I just need to practice the movement and then the weight won't be that hard.

#4 - Cardio. A

I think I pulled the tire or rode my bike 3 times.  I've got to keep away from the scout's threads, I've been tempted to go running.

#5 - Family Fitness

Unofficial life goal.  I took the kids sledding once and to the indoor park once and we climb in the basement monkey gym just about every day, so despite the cold weather they are staying active.

Yoga PVP

I'm 1 for 4, because of mutual lameness I think I still have a shot, but if I was a betting man, I'd put my money on Mary.

My weight bounced back thanks to daily emergency meat, for once it seemed to work in my favor.  If you believe the scale it went off mostly as fat, but came back mostly as lean mass, (17.3 or 17.4%bf -> 17.1 or 16.9% bf), belly went from 35 1/8" -> 34 5/8", so that's nice.  Now I gotta get back on track and keep it that way.

I have a pair of dad jeans I got for Christmas last year.  I didn't wear them because they were too tight in the thighs, but  I had to wear them on Sunday because laundry and they fit :(  I've lost my quads.  I guess stopping training in February (because family issues) and then barely biking this summer (because of back issues) has consequences.  I'm going to throw in some front squats to see if they'll come back.  If my bank account survives Christmas, I'll be really tempted to get a trap bar and some plates.

IMG_0622-e1345128087488.jpg

• Like 1