old-warrior-dragon.jpg

For the next size weeks on my journey to discover my inner dragon . . . my Main Quest is to lose 20 pounds.  

I have decided on three missions that will help me accomplish my main quest.  They are measurable, and attainable.

Mission 1:  I need to keep my calorie intake at 1700 calories a day, or less, via my My Fitness Pal account (calorie amount determined with the help of one of my favorite Nerds, using this tool).  Reward:  +2 CON  &  +2 WIS

Mission 2:  Walk three miles a week.  I don't mean walking three times a week, a mile each time, but a total of 3 miles over the whole week.  That will be more attainable for me.  I am using Map My Walk to help me measure and keep track of my walking.  I have installed it on my iPhone and have used it a few times to test it out.  It's pretty nifty, and will help me stay on track.  Reward:  +2 STR  &  +2 STA  &  +1 DEX

Mission 3:  Continue to do my core strengthening exercises, 5 times a week.  In my last challenge, I was supposed to do this daily, and the truth is that I was unable to do so.  I have noticed an improvement in my ability to walk, the more I do them, so I will continue to do them as part of my effort to keep myself mobile.  Reward:  +2 STR  &  +2  CON

Life Goal:  Attend my weekly meetings 80% of the time, or better.  This is a personal goal of mine.  I attend an addiction recover program, TOPS Support, and church meetings on a weekly basis.  Or I should, and lately I've been slacking.  So I would like to see myself improve this aspect of my life.  Reward:  +1 WIS  &  +1 CON

My motivation:  My mom is immobile, stuck on the couch all day because she is simply too large and too arthritic and out of shape to move.  She can't get around without a wheelchair, and even pees in a bucket next to the couch because she can't get up to go use the bathroom.  She can't participate in her own life, let alone the lives of those she loves.  I don't want to be immobile, stuck in a wheelchair or couch, and peeing in a bucket because I can't get to a bathroom.  I want to be able to interact with my four terrific kids, and future (far future, I hope) grandkids.  And I want to be able to go out and enjoy the world, instead of staying in my apartment all the time because I'm embarrassed of how overweight and out of shape I am.  The pain of staying where I am, and what I am (Wow, I'm starting to resemble Jabba the Hutt!), is far greater than the pain I will have to go through to free my inner dragon!

• Like 8

A year from now, you may wish you had started today.

challenge-accepted.jpg

• Like 1

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

Wow, sounds like you know what you want and are going for it!  Great goals! I love map my walk - I need the numbers so that I can "compete against myself".  And it's so easy to use!  

In my opinion, it's very brave of you to mention openly about your support meetings.  Taking care of our minds/spirits/souls is so interconnected with taking care of our bodies, and I think that these things will help you meet your other goals.  

Thanks for joining my acountabilibuddies group! :)  I can't wait to see your progress and cheer you on for the next (technically 7) 6 weeks! :)

• Like 1

Sounds like you have some great motivation, and awesomely specific goals!  Also a great signature quote :D Looking forward to being Acountabilibuddies (holy that takes concentration to type), and cheering each other on. Down with immobility! Up with...us!

• Like 1

Lvl 3 Wood Elf Adventurer

STR 9.25 || DEX 5 || STA 3 || CON 9.75 || WIS 12.75 || CHA 2

Challenges: Current || #1 || #2 || #3 || Artistic & Creative Accountability || Etsy Shop

It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye. --The Fox in The Little Prince

Walk to Mordor // 116 out of 1779 miles

Great challenge! I'll be stopping by to help cheer you on :)

• Like 1

"You won't find your answers by looking to the stars. It's a journey you'll have to take by looking inside yourself. You must write your destiny..." Christopher Reeve as Dr. Virgil Swann

Current challenge

Old Challenges: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th9th, 10th11th, 12th, 13th, 14th

Fitbit
Forum Battle Log

Great goals.  You can do this.  I am looking forward to watching your progress and cheering you on!  

• Like 1

Liser Frenche

Level 1 - STR : 1.3 | DEX : 1.5 | STA : 1.5 | CON : 1.5 | WIS : 0 | CHA : 0

Current Challenge  /Battle Log I   

Previous challenges:

1I  2  3 Epic Respawn

MFP username: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/profile/liserfrenche

"Strive for Progress, Not Perfection"

Map my walk is awesome, and walking does get to be addictive! I find around 1/2 km (500 meters) i start to feel a little lactic acid burn in my calves, but if you power through it, it goes away and you end up just marching on....Music helps!

• Like 1

Current Challenge: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/60953-challenge-1-take-2/

Battle Log: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/60532-battlelog-no-excuses/#entry1384657

"That which does not kill me had better run like hell as I'm coming for it"

I agree with Quill that walking can become addicting. If I don't get my daily walks in I get restless. One of the things that really gets me going is a app called Zombies! Run but I think it's only available on the iPhone. The other thing you could do is listen to audio books or podcasts. Love doing this. Perhaps you could listen to an audio book about dragons?

• Like 2

Viking Adventurer

Battle Log: Bearlee is ...

A wonderful app that I have for walking is called "The Walk". It is by the same people who made the Zombies, Run! app. It is really fun. However, it is more like a pedometer. It has little story clips that unlock after you walk a certain distance and they are really really good. Even though I finished it over a month ago I still am listening to the clips for a third time. Now that I know how the story ends, it's fun to go back and see some of the hints that were at the beginning. What I did is I had it going when I went for my walk and that night I listened to any clips that I unlocked. They don't play while you are walking. You can have it going all day and it will calculate the whole distance you walked. Actually it's more of the number of steps that you took. I just did simple multiplication to figure out how far I went. I really loved. And I highly recommend it.

• Like 1

Ranger - Level 7

My Character

Current Challenge

walking is so addictive that I am planning a 2k mile one :P

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

I posted in my battle log, but I'm too tired to post again here.  And I am so out of energy, I can't even read the threads I follow!  I'll have to catch up tomorrow.

Skandranon_Ink_by_FreddyJasonV.jpg

Just because griffins, especially this guy, are almost as awesome as dragons . . . ***love***

• Like 5

Fantastic drawing!! I think if you're logging your progress and making effort IRL that's the important thing. We'll be cheering you on even when you're too tired to post :D It's really cool that even though you had a tough week, you sought out positive ways to boost morale like therapy and mini-meditations. Way to go!!

• Like 1

Challenges: Current || #1 || #2 || #3 || Artistic & Creative Accountability || Etsy Shop

It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye. --The Fox in The Little Prince

I wish I could claim that drawing as my own, but I stole it from the interwebs.

I CAN claim this, though:  I walked 2.35 miles yesterday, which is my farthest distance yet (by a lot) and I also did one of those miles in only 19 minutes, which is a HUGE improvement for me, of 4 minutes off my mile!

That's pretty spiffy, if I don't say so myself!  LoL

• Like 3

dl-ashamed.jpg

Mission 1:  I need to keep my calorie intake at 1700 calories a day, or less.

Week 1 = 57% (F)

Mission 2:  Walk three miles a week.  

Week 1 = 117% (A++)

Mission 3:  Continue to do my core strengthening exercises, 5 times a week. 

Week 1 = 40% (F)

Life Goal:  Attend my weekly meetings 80% of the time, or better.

Week 1 = 100% (A)

What I've Learned This Week:

I'm lousy at doing daily exercises, like my core strengtheners.  I just hate it and can't seem to make myself do it!  I have also had a bit of an emotionally difficult week, so I didn't stay under my calories as well   as I should have.  However, I did manage to only go over by a smidge for the most part.  But some days it was just bad!  And the worst part?  I gained 0.6 pounds, instead of losing anything!  How humiliating!    I'm determined to do better next week, for sure!  I am rather pleased that I managed to get all of my walking in, though.  That was a challenge for me!  I even beat my 22 minute mile, and made a 19 minute mile     personal record!  Woot!

so can you find some core strengtheners that you DO like??

• Like 1

Spoiler

Week 1 = 57% (F)

Week 1 = 117% (A++)

Week 1 = 40% (F)

Week 1 = 100% (A)

I'm lousy at doing daily exercises, like my core strengtheners.  I just hate it and can't seem to make myself do it!  I have also had a bit of an emotionally difficult week, so I didn't stay under my calories as well   as I should have.  However, I did manage to only go over by a smidge for the most part.  But some days it was just bad!  And the worst part?  I gained 0.6 pounds, instead of losing anything!  How humiliating!    I'm determined to do better next week, for sure!  I am rather pleased that I managed to get all of my walking in, though.  That was a challenge for me!  I even beat my 22 minute mile, and made a 19 minute mile     personal record!  Woot!

Firstly, don't be quite so hard on yourself.  It breaks my heart that you feel "humiliated" from your first week and going up half a pound.  There are lots of things that can influence that 0.6lb weight gain, and it might not be "permanent" (ie. time of day, water weight, etc)

Mission 1: Calorie intake - I'm not going to get into this much because I'm guessing you know how to make it better for this week :)

Mission 2: Nailed it! :)

Mission 3: Like Alienjenn suggested, try finding exercises you like better, if possible.  Balance exercises are great functional core work! Additionally, I would suggest setting an alarm to remind you to do them, like at 7pm every night, or after work when you get home, etc.  I have a goal of doing inverted rows daily, and my TRX suspension straps hang out in the open to remind me - I've set it up so that the rows never take long to do, and I'll hammer them out before sitting down to watch TV, even if I don't want to. lol  Try something to make it easier to do until it's a habit, ie. shorter session, different exercises, consistent time, 3 times/week instead of 5, etc.

Life goal: Whoooo!  

Let's make week 2 better!! 

• Like 1

It is easy to get stressed out by the scale! I agree with Jill, though. Have you considered limiting your weight-ins to once a month or so? From what I've seen of the transformations on this site, it seems to be really helpful as a way to redirect your focus on other measurements of success :) That way you can focus on amazing and wonderful things like your A++ walking score! Yay!!!

• Like 1

REPORT CARD TIME:

Week 1 = 70% ©

Week 1 = 100% (A)

Week 1 = 80% ( B)

Week 1 = 90% (A)

I can't afford to eat out.  Not financially, not health-wise.  I think I need to reduce my daily calories to 1500, rather than the 1700.  Did much better this past week, despite the craziness of my personal life.  I did go back down a half pound, but that's not meeting my goal of 2 pounds down a week.

• Like 1