• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

ladylydia

LadyLydia Meanders a Bit

Been MIA I know; I'm on lock down until I finish my seminar paper due Tuesday. 

Yesterday: calories-2200? water-3 glasses, no workout but all my Christmas shopping done.

Today: calories-2100, water-6 glasses, PLP-22

Is there any real benefit to tricep dips on a bench?  I've seen mixed information.  I used to do them often in bodyweight stuff, but I stop when I started weight lifting.  Yesterday I did them just because they were in the workout plan but they felt stupid compared to before the weight lifting. 

I think you know more about lifting than I do, so I would be curious to know what you think. My trainer has me doing them, but you might be strong enough to do full dips (?). I'm not, so I think the bench dips are useful. You probably know this, but there are variations to make them harder, like stacking a plate on your lap. I think also harder if you cross one leg over the other (?)

I think you know more about lifting than I do, so I would be curious to know what you think. My trainer has me doing them, but you might be strong enough to do full dips (?). I'm not, so I think the bench dips are useful. You probably know this, but there are variations to make them harder, like stacking a plate on your lap. I think also harder if you cross one leg over the other (?)

Actually yes, I can do full body dips, as long as they are not too deep. 

From what I've read dips off a bench actually pull your arms into a weird position that kind of works the triceps, but not properly. To really build strength, the arms need to be at the sides of the body, not behind the back the way they are with dips. 

A lot of information seems to say that other workouts are better, like tricep pushups, or extensions.  I used to do bench dips all the time, but stopped when I realized I could do full versions. But I had good places to do them, there was a corner of my kitchen counter in my apartment that was perfect; then I moved to a new place that doesn't have a good place to do full body dips.   Since I'm on bodyweight for the month of December, I've run into a lot of workouts that use bench dips. 

They felt effective when I was doing them regularly, but after I switched to weights and full versions they somehow feel silly. I really need to rig something that will let me do them with proper form.  It's just that my apartment came furnished and none of the furniture is actually mine, so I worry about breaking it with when I use it as equipment.   

• Like 1

Past the paper, past my first final. Have a bit of time before the next one to get my head on straight.

I think calories were 2000, and 1800 the past few days. with no workouts, I don't know where my water has been.

Workout today:

21 min. of interval cardio on the elliptical, my ankle was hurting me so I figured I'd skip running.

old routine, not up to pare with the old scores, but I haven't done stuff for time in a while.

8 min. 10+50 seconds each

tricep extensions -22, 11

pike press-15,11

pushups- 9,8,

lotus lifts-20, 27

2x30 v-crunches.

yoga.

update food after dinner.

carryover ice cream from yesterday-500

smoothie and celery for breakfast-400

apple for lunch-100

pork chops, and two salads for dinner-400

chocolate and ice cream for dinner-400

=1800

five glasses of water.

Good day today.

No cardio to speak of, but:

PLP-35

12 min. abs.   10+30 sec.

crunches: 23, 12, 14

Russian twists: 26,16,16

leg raises: 11,9,10

side crunch L: 19,18,16

side crunch R: 20, 21, 20

plank

-3 rounds

nutrition:

smoothie, turkey and salad for breakfast-800

salad for lunch-100

indian chicken and rice, chocolate mousse for dinner-700

=1600

six glasses of water.

A lot of information seems to say that other workouts are better, like tricep pushups, or extensions.  I used to do bench dips all the time, but stopped when I realized I could do full versions. But I had good places to do them, there was a corner of my kitchen counter in my apartment that was perfect; then I moved to a new place that doesn't have a good place to do full body dips.   Since I'm on bodyweight for the month of December, I've run into a lot of workouts that use bench dips. 

They felt effective when I was doing them regularly, but after I switched to weights and full versions they somehow feel silly. I really need to rig something that will let me do them with proper form.  It's just that my apartment came furnished and none of the furniture is actually mine, so I worry about breaking it with when I use it as equipment.   

Thanks for this info! I kind of thought my trainer might have been being a bit lazy when he suggested them. I'm not strong enough for full dips (unless I use weight assist machine). I think I might mix in some of the assisted dips and/or tricep pushups (have to do those on an incline). What you have said makes a lot of sense.

Seems like the tricep pushups should be doable for you (on an incline if necessary).

Congrats on all your progress with school!

Glad I could help. :)

no workout today, too tired.

smoothie and leftovers for breakfast-500

chocolate for lunch-500 (i gotta stop shopping hungry)

pizza pita and broccoli for dinner-600

cranberry ice cream-200

=1800.

five glasses of water.

I'm in my last year of law school, and in my last semester of getting my master's in psychology.  I'm kind of doing it the wrong way because I'm taking 18 hours and all actual classes instead of eating up hours with externships and clinic like normal 3Ls.  I'm told pretty often that I'm a masochist.  

I would agree with those that call you a masochist.   My wife has a JD, so I feel your pain.  We went through her program with two small kids while I had two jobs, so I know the depths of masochism intimately.  Keep rockin' it!

went out with friends yesterday and had a lot of chocolate which shot calories up, 2300 calories for the day, five glasses of water, no workout.

today, 2100 calories (again lots of chocolate and ice cream), 4 min. tabata side to side jumps, five glasses of water.

I have four exams and a paper due this week, I think I may be stress eating.  I'm going to the gym after my exam tomorrow; run at least some of this off.

Whew, went to the gym after my exam today. I did an older workout from a couple years ago, I might have know something titled "please kill me' might have been hard.  

21 min. interval run.

18 min. tabata bodyweight circuit  (what was I thinking).

sliding side lunge R- 11,13,14

sliding side lunge L-13,15,20

v-crunch R- 24, 29,28

v-crunch L-30,25,25

leg raises-14,17,16

push ups-9,11,11

3 rounds.

Scores were worse on some exercises and better on others.

Yoga.

Food update after dinner.

calories were 2100 yesterday with five glasses of water.

no workout today, seven glasses of water,  ate in stages today because I had both a paper due and a weirdly placed exam

apple  in the morning- 100

salad mid morning-100

zucchini bread for lunch-150

mango banana smoothie in afternoon-400

dried cranberries while cooking-250

red beans and rice and two salads for dinner-400

banana cranberry sorbet for dessert-200

workout:

cardio:

4 min. tabata punches

4 min tabata side jump lunge

4 min. tabata turning round kicks and spin side combo

4 min. tabata side leg lifts.

resistance time challenge:

30 pike press

30 tricep dips (real ones, suspended between two chairs and an end table)

30 push ups

30 locust lifts.

30 swan dives 

30 dive bombers from knees (arms were pretty shot by then)

30 v-sits

time: 18:53 

nutrition:

apple and celery for breakfast-200

smoothie-400

pumpkin roll and cookies-500

sausage, red beans & rice, and salad for dinner-400

hot chocolate-200

=1700.

I only had the roll and cookies because I was trying to make myself wait until later to have dinner, I should have just had it for lunch when I was first hungry.  Lesson learned.