The Spider: Boy, sure would be nice to have some grenades

Hi everyone!  Some of you might remember me from a few challenges ago.  I gave up on my last challenge about four weeks in because of, well, I really don't know, aside from randomly not wanting to go to this website!  Not sure why, but that spiraled into going back into bad habits I was trying to knock out.

So now I'm back with renewed inspiration to reach my health and fitness goals.  This challenge is going to look a lot like my previous one that I quit doing last time, but with a few minor differences.  I'm not going to let myself "level up" until I've completed the whole mission.  I know I can, I just have to actually do it.

I'm including a short "why" list with each goal that anyone here can ask me about to help me stay true to my goals, as well as spark up conversation, to make friends!  Spiders are friendly creatures, people!  Don't judge! :tongue:

Main Quest:  Short term goal: fit in my dress suit properly.  Long term goal: receive the Spartan Trifecta.

Quest 1: No more soda.  I am fairly convinced that my belly is a result of drinking almost 2 liters of soda a day one summer, and not much less since then.  I am not allowing any "cheat" sodas, as I have a very good brand of high quality soda replacement powder that I can drink in place of soda, not to mention water, tea, and coffee, if I need it.  Reward: A = +3 CON (drank 0-2 sodas), B = +2 CON (drank 3-4), C = +1 CON (drank 5 or more).

Quest 1 why:

1. Dental health: soda is so bad for your teeth, it really just isn't funny.

2. Everything else health: it doesn't take long to find a list of all of the reasons why soda doesn't belong in your body, from HFCS, to carbonation, to the amount of sugar in general, yeah.

3. Indigestion/acid reflux: going along with 2, I have been feeling the effects of soda in bad ways, so to prevent any kind of serious damage to my esophagus or stomach, it's going to go for good.

Quest 2: I am currently going through physical therapy to correct a shoulder pain I have that was most likely caused from incorectly lifting a weight that was too heavy, pushing my head forward and pinching a nerve or some such nonsense.  I will be doing basic bodyweight exercises so that when the next 6 week challenge starts, I can begin a weight training regiment while attending school.  This quest will consist of doing the exercises my physical therapist gives me.

Reward: A = +3 CON (do exercises without fail), +1 DEX, B = +2 CON (forget exercises 4 times), +1 DEX, C = +1 CON (forget exercises 4+ times)

Quest 2 why:

1. I need my shoulder: no brainer.  Also, it's really annoying to reach for something and feel excruciating pain.

2. Segue into my greater goals: No use of my shoulder means no ability to lift weights or eventually climb ropes/ladders/walls when I'm doing a Spartan race.

3. Martial arts: I've been doing MA's for many years and I miss it a great deal.  I can't do any training without my shoulder.

Quest 3: At 4 weeks left, I will begin a 30 day detox of gluten, dairy, soy, processed sugar, caffeine and alcohol.  This is a "stop eating crap" based diet that is actually quite similar to a paleo diet.  It also includes taking a digestive aid multiple times a day which is designed to aid with bloating and belly fat collecting, which my body tends to do.  The detox is through the brand Arbonne International, of which I am an independent consultant.  If you want the exact details, feel free to ask here or in PM.

Reward: At the end of the detox I will earn 3 DEX and 1 CON, or if I slip up on the detox, I will earn nothing, since this isn't going on for the full six weeks, but only 4.

Quest 3 why:

1. word-of-mouth marketing: just like pampered chef, or avon, or whatever, Arbonne is a brand that is sold through the people who use it.  I want to use it, and make money off of it.  I know the products work and the science is sound, as I've seen them in action in multiple people including myself.

2. encouraging others: the best way for number 1 to work is by showing others how the products work.  If they work on me, they'll work on you, too.  And if they work on  you, sell it to everyone you know, and the cycle continues, making people happier and healthier and wealthier.

3. continued learning: continuously learning about health and diet is part of my future career plans.  I am interested in being an acupuncturist and oriental medicine doctor, and diet is a huge part of medicine, whether Eastern or Western.

Motivation: I'm starting to look like I don't take care of myself, and it's just not true.  Also, I'm a "prepper," but I'm bored of zombies, so Imma say that the Reavers (Firefly) could strike at any minute, and I need to be in top shape to get away from them!

• Like 1

"Impossible is not a fact, it's an opinion.  Impossible is not a declaration, it's a dare.  Impossible is potential, impossible is temporary, impossible is NOTHING." -Muhammad Ali

"The only thing worse than being blind is having sight but no vision." -Hellen Keller

Ferocity (2),  2 Becoming Capable, Becoming a Ranger

Hi Spider, seeing as you've completed at least 4 weeks of the last challenge, you are welcome to join another guild (perhaps the Rangers or the Adventurers).  You don't need to start with orientation again.  If you'd like I can wave my magic wand and teleport you to your new guild.  Let me know which one and I can poof you there.  You're more than welcome to stay of course.

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

Personally I'd like to re-do my level 1, just because I let myself slip so badly, I gave myself totally easy tasks and failed at all three of them, so I really have no sense of having accomplished anything.  Sure, I finished 4 weeks, but that was nothing.  All of these habits I've had for more than 3 months at a time (if you replace physical therapy with actually excercising on a regular basis) with no trouble, I just let them get away from me with the increase in socializing and having to work and go to school, etc.  When I finish this challenge, my next challenge will include not losing the habits I developed from this challenge (quests 1 and 2).  So thanks for the offer, but I prefer to remain here and truly succeed at, well, what I'm supposed to be doing already, you know?

• Like 2

"Impossible is not a fact, it's an opinion.  Impossible is not a declaration, it's a dare.  Impossible is potential, impossible is temporary, impossible is NOTHING." -Muhammad Ali

"The only thing worse than being blind is having sight but no vision." -Hellen Keller

Good luck this time around.  You seem to have the right motivation and a great spirit.  Your 1st and 3rd quests go hand in hand so quest 1 should help get you prepped.   And speaking of prepped (see what I did there?) I love that your a prepper.   This is something I have been very interested in.  However I do not have the space or the funds to actually 'prep'.  So I'm a virtual prepper?   

• Like 1

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero

Level: 19 Ranger | STR 36 | DEX 29 | STA  35 | CON  43 | WIS 35 | CHA 23|

Spoiler

Epic Quest Avatar Lifting profile | D&D Character Sheet

Accountibillibuddies: Doodlies setting the world alight

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020 | 2021

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Current Challenge: Shello Finally Fitnesses (sort of) and does some other things

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Starting weight = 290.4; Current weight = 269; Total pounds lost: 21.4

My prepping is very limited.  Mostly, prepping physically.  I don't have property to bury gold or set up booby traps for the Reavers, but I do practice martial arts, will eventually own firearms, and want to have assets aside from "Federal Reserve Notes" such as high quality weapons, and most importantly, knowledge.  People need first aid, want music (pianist for 18 years), and someone who knows food prep/safety, you know?  It's all about having the right knowledge.

• Like 1

Hmmm.  That's a good strategy.  Make yourself post-apocolyptically marketable.  i like it. That might have to be one of my challenge themes... 

• Like 1

Spoiler

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Current Challenge: Shello Finally Fitnesses (sort of) and does some other things

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Personally I'd like to re-do my level 1, just because I let myself slip so badly, I gave myself totally easy tasks and failed at all three of them, so I really have no sense of having accomplished anything.  Sure, I finished 4 weeks, but that was nothing.  All of these habits I've had for more than 3 months at a time (if you replace physical therapy with actually excercising on a regular basis) with no trouble, I just let them get away from me with the increase in socializing and having to work and go to school, etc.  When I finish this challenge, my next challenge will include not losing the habits I developed from this challenge (quests 1 and 2).  So thanks for the offer, but I prefer to remain here and truly succeed at, well, what I'm supposed to be doing already, you know?

no problem at all.  You're welcome to complete it here. I sometimes stick to the same goals for many challenges on end, because it needs to be done. Goodluck.

• Like 1

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

Quest 1: No more soda.  I am fairly convinced that my belly is a result of drinking almost 2 liters of soda a day one summer, and not much less since then.  I am not allowing any "cheat" sodas, as I have a very good brand of high quality soda replacement powder that I can drink in place of soda, not to mention water, tea, and coffee, if I need it.  Reward: A = +3 CON (drank 0-2 sodas), B = +2 CON (drank 3-4), C = +1 CON (drank 5 or more).

Quest 1 why:

1. Dental health: soda is so bad for your teeth, it really just isn't funny.

2. Everything else health: it doesn't take long to find a list of all of the reasons why soda doesn't belong in your body, from HFCS, to carbonation, to the amount of sugar in general, yeah.

3. Indigestion/acid reflux: going along with 2, I have been feeling the effects of soda in bad ways, so to prevent any kind of serious damage to my esophagus or stomach, it's going to go for good.

Ah, the challenge of quitting soda. I was drinking upwards of 7 cans a day a few years back and quit cold turkey one year. The caffeine withdrawal was a beast, but I did it. Then I went back to school, and my last year of college I got back into the habit again. Not as bad as it was, but still at least 1-2 20oz a day. I recently quit (again), and I'm allowing myself soda only when I go out to dinner. Otherwise, nope. For the most part, I don't miss it except when I'm tired or when I'm just sick of water, but.

Good luck! I'm sure you'll kick your challenge's butt this time around!

• Like 2

CHALLENGES: CURRENT111098765432, 1

📷 📚

Soda:

I started drinking a lot of soda when I first went to college (and put on a lot of weight, not just from the soda).  When I gave up soda and changed nothing else, I lost 5 lbs without trying.  That stuff will get you!

• Like 3

Dantilla

Level 3? Bard/Assasssin,

Needs to update her skills

STR 5 | STA 2 | DEX 1 | CON 5 | WIS 7 | CHA 6

Trained Skills:

Perform:  1

Climb:  2

Current Challenge

Soda:

I started drinking a lot of soda when I first went to college (and put on a lot of weight, not just from the soda).  When I gave up soda and changed nothing else, I lost 5 lbs without trying.  That stuff will get you!

That is intense.  I don't expect to lose a lot of weight because I have a Hobbit/Halfling body that doesn't like to put weight on, but I do expect to slim down a lot.  Abs are 60-70% diet, or as the saying goes "abs are made in the kitchen," so I really expect the actual removal of soda for 6 weeks to help my belly and my actual waist match up in size. :P

Hi spider! Welcome back!

Hi ChristArtist!  Thanks! :)

Ah, the challenge of quitting soda. I was drinking upwards of 7 cans a day a few years back and quit cold turkey one year. The caffeine withdrawal was a beast, but I did it. Then I went back to school, and my last year of college I got back into the habit again. Not as bad as it was, but still at least 1-2 20oz a day. I recently quit (again), and I'm allowing myself soda only when I go out to dinner. Otherwise, nope. For the most part, I don't miss it except when I'm tired or when I'm just sick of water, but.

Good luck! I'm sure you'll kick your challenge's butt this time around!

Thanks! :)  I may drink 2-3 20oz bottles a week, but it gives me heartburn if I drink one shortly before sleeping, it makes my teeth hurt, and it gives me a wicked stomach ache if I drink it.  My body is just demanding I stop drinking it but I still do!  I have nearly no response to caffeine because of all of the soda, and I really dislike drinking coffee and falling asleep from it.

Thanks! :)  I may drink 2-3 20oz bottles a week, but it gives me heartburn if I drink one shortly before sleeping, it makes my teeth hurt, and it gives me a wicked stomach ache if I drink it.  My body is just demanding I stop drinking it but I still do!  I have nearly no response to caffeine because of all of the soda, and I really dislike drinking coffee and falling asleep from it.

Yeah, the caffeine kick didn't do anything for me after a while. Stop drinking for a few years and you'll get it back, but it fades even quicker. Coffee is vile. :( There's just something about soda that I enjoy, despite the really crappy side effects.

📷 📚

Hey..just wanted to say I love the why portions of your challenge. When I drew a picture of my liver and kidneys happy, I was able to envision why I need to keep my diet clean! It gets old that others focus on the numbers for me, because the numbers don't mean anything. ..it's my guts that will make or break me!

Good luck!

In His hands and Under His wings, Phil 4:13; Is 40:31; Jer 29:11
 Adventurer by choice

Hey..just wanted to say I love the why portions of your challenge. When I drew a picture of my liver and kidneys happy, I was able to envision why I need to keep my diet clean! It gets old that others focus on the numbers for me, because the numbers don't mean anything. ..it's my guts that will make or break me!

Good luck!

:) definitely.  I figure since i couldn't think of a theme to go with this like some people do, I just posted the "why" to give me something to talk about if anyone had the inkling to ask.

• Like 2

Took a digestion aid today because of the lack of quality foods I ate over the weekend.  White bread, processed meats, a greasy cheeseburger and ice cream and mayonnaise.  Sure, they shouldn't be anything worth fearing for a skinny guy like me, but they still don't belong, and they don't do my stomach any favors, because my stomach had been in knots the whole time.

Physical therapy workouts are low/no weight, high rep for correcting whatever is going wrong in my upper right torso.  It's going really well, though the exercises tire my neck muscles out a lot so sometimes I don't have any interest in doing anything else for the day because my neck gets really tired.  The heating pad gets a lot of use, and the PT told me that I'm progressing well enough that I won't actually be seeing her anymore, but doing the workouts on my own, which means I'll be able to do martial arts classes again. :D

• Like 2

That is awesome news! Now, are you motivated enough to continue rehab on your own? I usually forget my rehab until said issue bites me!

Make sure you relearn your MA moves again, so you don't fall into bad habits. I had to retrain myself how to walk. ..several times. ..to protect my healing!

I'm happy for you, spider!

In His hands and Under His wings, Phil 4:13; Is 40:31; Jer 29:11
 Adventurer by choice

I sure am.  Aside from all my goals, the rehab workouts are so simple that it only takes about 15 minutes to do, and it will really just be like a workout regiment that I'll build off of.  Start with this, add some weight, work my way into benching/squatting/deadlifting as well as jump rope, MA training and whatever else I find. :)

Physical therapy workouts are low/no weight, high rep for correcting whatever is going wrong in my upper right torso.  It's going really well, though the exercises tire my neck muscles out a lot so sometimes I don't have any interest in doing anything else for the day because my neck gets really tired.  The heating pad gets a lot of use, and the PT told me that I'm progressing well enough that I won't actually be seeing her anymore, but doing the workouts on my own, which means I'll be able to do martial arts classes again. :D

That is awesome! Congrats on the PT, and keep it up. :) And huzzah martial arts! :D Totally excited for you!

📷 📚

Great news about your PT.  Keep doing those exercises.  I always have started skipping those exercises after you get discharged from PT but your goals should really help you stay successful.  

Spoiler

Thanks people. :)

No soda cravings yet, and I love it.

So I'm pretty positive that I totally forgot about my PT appointment... I could have sworn I rescheduled it for Friday, but I just found their reminder card in my back pocket well after the appointment had already passed by.  However, I had never received a call from anyone if I was late or not, so now I have to call them and figure it out.  Doing the workouts at home is easy, but there are some exercises I just can't do because I don't have the space for it.

There are a few things I need to order for my detox still, but I have time.  I know I'm going to try to "satisfy" my sweet tooth before I start the actual 4 week detox, but it's not going to work.  I ate a chocolate bar, two reeses cups and a bag of M&Ms earlier.  Thankfully I didn't feel unwell from it, but I can't do that in about a weeks time.

• Like 1

My big thing is avoiding the gluten, dairy and soy.  Gluten not because of the currently ambiguous claims about it being bad for you, but because I eat too much grain as it is, so cutting that will help for many reasons (abs are made in the kitchen).  Dairy, I'm allergic to, but it also gives me a lot of bloating and digestion problems, plus it's really not good for you if it's full of antibiotics and hormones and sometimes bleach.  O_O;;
  Soy I'm not really worried about since I eat it very seldom but it doesn't help with it being one of the most processed food substances in the world.

Processed sugar, for obvious reasons, caffeine because it keeps me up at night and then when I need a wake up boost it doesn't help, so cutting it will lower my tolerance so that when I DO consume it, I actually DO wake up, and alcohol is another not a big deal thing because I may have a beer or two once a month, but it also doesn't really belong in the body of a person trying to get into better shape, you know?

Stevia is in the protein powder and the soda replacement I use, and it's actually in all of the Arbonne nutrition line because it has little to no glycemic index.  Also, I freaking love the stuff.  :D

• Like 1