Nol: Druid for a challenge - 6 weeks to center and focus

Odango

Hello Challenge #2

As it turns out, I won't focus on Monk training quite yet. I am struggling to get out of my lethargy and the days becoming shorter, colder and damper aren't helping (wow, Scotland is not going to be fun in Winter!)

Luckily, I know exactly what I have to do to combat this, here's the plan...

Six week quest - Control the downs, invite the ups!

tumblr_lkretjFAiP1qjp1gno1_500.gif

#1 Goal : Center my mind (and lower cortisol levels) (+5 WIS)

-> Meditate every day from 20 minutes to 1 hour with Peace Revolution videos

-> Take 1 minute to center with deep breaths whenever emotions or stress get overwhelming

#2 Goal: Give each day a chance (+2 CHA +1 WIS)

-> Sleep at least 8 hours

-> Wake up with the dawn (approx 7:30 for now)

-> 5 Tibetans yoga right after waking up

#3 Goal: Healthy body for a healthy mind (+3 STR +1 CON)

-> No sugar at home

-> Eat 1 leafy green and 1 root veg every day

-> Drink 2L per day

-> 3 BWW per week

#Life goal: Do more of what I love <3  (+3 CHA)

-> Sing every day

-> Learn Momoiro Sparkling choreography

-> Take a whole pampering afternoon every week

-> Do at least one of these things every day: watch an old film, read a Poirot, have a soy latte, skype with a friend or family, make fresh mint tea, pretend to be Ella Fitzgerald, write a letter to someone, make dinner with friends, cuddle a stray cat, make Christmas decorations, check in on NF.

tumblr_m0c5d8wyjm1qbhznfo1_500.jpg

Motivation: Depression is hard to overcome because it leaves automated pathways to the land of I feel miserable and Meh, apathy day today Kingdom. Well, I don't want to let these automated reactions get the better of me anymore! In fact, I've been successfully exterminating them for over 2 years now and it can be tiring sometimes.

I love that the brain is plastic, synaptic connections are remodeled all the the time so that's exactly what I'll be doing for the next six weeks, active and conscious brain rewiring. Very actively and very consciously so.

I know how to be happy, I just need to control the frequency and intensity of my down moments.

Daily Victories: There will be daily victories this challenge, it's an awesome idea I took from Starsapart and it will help with staying positive oh so much. Today's victory = I created this thread :D

Can't wait to hang with you awesome people again and meet more inspiring superheroes!

Edit: Evaluation method. I will give myself percentages of success each week for every item. 7 days out of 7 = 100%, 6/7 = 85%, etc.

Then I'll round it up to evaluate each goal and the final average at the end of the 6 weeks will tell how many points I'll get.

Yes, this challenge is all about Wisdom and Charisma ^_^

• Like 4

Dancing Sylph - Level 9 Monk/Druid

Former Captain of the Nerdians of the Fitalaxy

Current Challenge

"E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle" - We came forth, and once more saw the stars, Dante

I love that lots of people are embarking on a mental improvement quest this challenge. It fills me with hope that I might actually be able to make some progress if I'm not alone. 

Awesome challenge, I can't wait to hear about all your daily victories!

• Like 3

Stonie

They/Them

Currently reading: Good Omens by Terry Pratchet & Neil Gaiman

Currently playing: Outer Worlds (Xbox)

Current DnD character: A radio presenter who’s magical bardic weapon is a portable radio broadcaster’s kit

Great challenges, I'm here and locked in

Yay!! ItsDaniel is here! Feeling better already :D

Oooooo! I love the 5 Tibetans!

Subbed!

Happy to meet a fellow monk who is a druid at heart as well :)

Thanks for subbing!

I love that lots of people are embarking on a mental improvement quest this challenge. It fills me with hope that I might actually be able to make some progress if I'm not alone. 

Awesome challenge, I can't wait to hear about all your daily victories!

Thanks for stopping by, we do have similar goals this challenge, that's awesome!

I feel that Autumn and the Holiday season approaching is triggering this need for introspection and settling a little, the approach of Winter is forcing me to be careful (I always get SAD, even when I lived in the South of France). I'm sure you'll be successful and feel wonderful by the end of the challenge, you have the biggest help there is: sun and day light :)

Mental improvement is key to success and change!

Great challenge! Have lots of great achievements here!

Thank you! So nice to read all these encouragements!

Let's build strength from within first!

• Like 1

Current Challenge

"E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle" - We came forth, and once more saw the stars, Dante

Noly! You've set a great challenge for yourself...! Plus, your motivation was amazing to read. I sincerely hope that you amaze yourself in the coming weeks and finish this challenge stronger than you've ever been.

This message was convincingly brought to you by,"my imaginative brain", co-produced by "my nimble but bulbous fingers".

• Like 2

Class and Profession: Rangers/Druid
Background: 27 year old Nerdling. Idk what to write anymore so imagine that this is a cool intro

Spoiler

Quote:

The extraordinary is in what we do, not who we are--Lara Croft.

Nol, I have decided to adopt you for this challenge.

Prepare for awesomeness!

Looking forward to checking in for your daily victory post.

via smoke signals from my Fire

&Heidi

Gypsy Druid Paladin

Ranger1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 ::

Druid8 | 9 | 1011  | 12 | 13 |:: 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 |:: 1920 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 |:: 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 |:: 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 |:: 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53| 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 |:: 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | :: 70 |

Paladin71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 |

Heidi Chronicles  NF Character Sheet | @theheidifeed| MySlashdotKarmaIsExcellent

Looks like a great, tough challenge you've got planned.  Also great job on the prior 6 weeks.  I'm definitely subbing and look forward to hearing about your progress with your goals and Kung Fu!

• Like 1

Level 5 Shapeshifter Monk

STR 10.75   :   DEX 7.5  :   STA 8.5   :   CON 5   :   WIS 7.5   :   CHA 7

Challenge: I am an Avenger

Past: 1st, Draugr, Super-hero, Rocky

A soon-to-be married Kung Fu enthusiast  

Hello Challenge #2

As it turns out, I won't focus on Monk training quite yet. I am struggling to get out of my lethargy and the days becoming shorter, colder and damper aren't helping (wow, Scotland is not going to be fun in Winter!)

Luckily, I know exactly what I have to do to combat this, here's the plan...

Six week quest - Control the downs, invite the ups!

tumblr_lkretjFAiP1qjp1gno1_500.gif

#1 Goal : Center my mind (and lower cortisol levels)

-> Meditate every day from 20 minutes to 1 hour with Peace Revolution videos

-> Take 1 minute to center with deep breaths whenever emotions or stress get overwhelming

#2 Goal: Give each day a chance

-> Sleep at least 8 hours

-> Wake up with the dawn (approx 7:30 for now)

-> 5 Tibetans yoga right after waking up

#3 Goal: Healthy body for a healthy mind

-> No sugar at home

-> Eat 1 leafy green and 1 root veg every day

-> Drink 2L per day

-> 3 BWW per week

#Life goal: Do more of what I love <3

-> Sing every day

-> Learn Momoiro Sparkling choreography

-> Take a whole pampering afternoon every week

-> Do at least one of these things every day: watch an old film, read a Poirot, have a soy latte, skype with a friend or family, make fresh mint tea, pretend to be Ella Fitzgerald, write a letter to someone, make dinner with friends, cuddle a stray cat, make Christmas decorations, check in on NF.

tumblr_m0c5d8wyjm1qbhznfo1_500.jpg

Motivation: Depression is hard to overcome because it leaves automated pathways to the land of I feel miserable and Meh, apathy day today Kingdom. Well, I don't want to let these automated reactions get the better of me anymore! In fact, I've been successfully exterminating them for over 2 years now and it can be tiring sometimes.

I love that the brain is plastic, synaptic connections are remodeled all the the time so that's exactly what I'll be doing for the next six weeks, active and conscious brain rewiring. Very actively and very consciously so.

I know how to be happy, I just need to control the frequency and intensity of my down moments.

Daily Victories: There will be daily victories this challenge, it's an awesome idea I took from Starsapart and it will help with staying positive oh so much. Today's victory = I created this thread :D

Can't wait to hang with you awesome people again and meet more inspiring superheroes!

Hello Nol, how nice that you have chosen to join the Druids for this challenge, I hope that you will enjoy it here.

I also think that we carry the key to our own happiness with us - it's just that sometimes we misplace it - or lose sight of the key-hole.

I really like your goals!

Are you very experienced in meditation? If not then 20 minutes to one hour sounds quite challenging and you might want to start smaller than that.

What kind of grading system will you use?

I look forward to following your progress!

• Like 1

I have chosen to believe in myself.

Tomorrow the new challenge begins and I felt like sharing a poem I love and that always makes me feel good!

I hope you like it too :)  (translation is far from perfect, sorry)

Jeder Mensch ist ein Künstler – Everyone is an artist (Joseph Beuys)

Let yourself fall,

learn to observe queues,

plant impossible gardens,

invite someone dangerous for tea,

make little signs that say, “Yesâ€, and spread them all over your house.

Become a friend of Freedom and Uncertainty,

rejoice yourself in dreams.

Cry in cinemas,

swing as high as you can on a swing in the moonlight.

Cultivate different moods,

refuse to be “responsibleâ€,

do it out of love.

Believe in magic, laugh a lot, bathe in the moonlight.

Dream wild dreams, full of fantasy.

Draw on the walls, read everyday.

Imagine that you have been enchanted,

giggle with children.

Listen to old people, be happy, dive in, be free.

Praise yourself, let fear fall down, play with all.

Sustain the child in yourself, you are not guilty,

build a fort out of blankets,

get wet,

hug trees,

write love letters.

------------------------------------------

Original version:

Lass Dich fallen,

lerne Schlangen zu beobachten,

pflanze unmögliche Gärten,

lade jemand Gefährlichen zum Tee ein,

mache kleine Zeichen, die ‚Ja’ sagen und verteile sie überall

in Deinem Haus.

Werde ein Freund von Freiheit und Unsicherheit,

freue Dich auf Träume.

Weine bei Kinofilmen,

schaukle so hoch Du kannst

mit einer Schaukel bei Mondlicht.

Pflege verschiedene Stimmungen,

verweigere ‚verantwortliche’ zu sein,

tu es aus Liebe.

Glaube an Zauberei, lache eine Menge, bade im Mondlicht.

Träume wilde, phantasievolle Träume.

Zeichne auf die Wände, lies jeden Tag.

Stell Dir vor, Du wärst verzaubert,

kichere mit Kindern.

Höre alten Leuten zu, freue Dich, tauche ein, sei frei.

Preise Dich selbst, lass die Angst fallen, spiele mit allem.

Unterhalte das Kind in Dir, Du bist unschuldig,

baue eine Burg aus Decken,

werde nass,

umarme Bäume,

schreibe Liebesbriefe.

• Like 3

Current Challenge

Hi dear! Back from the break and excited to see your next challenge. Looks fantastic!

I absolutely love the poem. Don't tell me you speak German as well?! Cause then we'd already have 3 countries/languages in common. :D

Looking forward to the next gif-tastic 6 weeks!

tumblr_ne4094I8Qe1u2nipgo1_500.gif

• Like 1

Forever Respawning Rebel

CURRENT CHALLENGE

Previous challenges: 01, 02

"Just sitting here on the corner of awesome and bombdiggity..." - unknown

Noly! You've set a great challenge for yourself...! Plus, your motivation was amazing to read. I sincerely hope that you amaze yourself in the coming weeks and finish this challenge stronger than you've ever been.

So happy to have you Hans Hun! I'm following your new challenge as well of course :) Let's do this one together and be strong (and happy!)

Nol, I have decided to adopt you for this challenge.

Prepare for awesomeness!

Looking forward to checking in for your daily victory post.

Yay!! My first NF mum!

I've checked your log, it's really great! I'll definitely be reading your adventures there :)

I simply cannot wait for those waves of awesomeness to hit me!

Looks like a great, tough challenge you've got planned.  Also great job on the prior 6 weeks.  I'm definitely subbing and look forward to hearing about your progress with your goals and Kung Fu!

Thank you! I'm feeling good and a little scared but just enough ^_^ I'm having trouble finding a job so, Kung Fu practice will have to wait a bit. As soon as I got the money though, it's back to the dojo! Meanwhile, I'll be body weight working it, hehe!

Hello Nol, how nice that you have chosen to join the Druids for this challenge, I hope that you will enjoy it here.

I also think that we carry the key to our own happiness with us - it's just that sometimes we misplace it - or lose sight of the key-hole.

I really like your goals!

Are you very experienced in meditation? If not then 20 minutes to one hour sounds quite challenging and you might want to start smaller than that.

What kind of grading system will you use?

I look forward to following your progress!

Hi Eve! Thank you :)

I do have quite a bit of experience in meditation actually. 20 minutes is often what I start with after a long break, but I quickly go to 45 minutes or more because I usually need half an hour to really empty my mind and slow down. I have trouble with keeping up with the daily practice though.

I am still pondering the grading system and the points distribution. As soon as I make up my mind, I will add it to the challenge. Thanks for keeping an eye on those important details!

Current Challenge

I wish! I do speak Hindi though... so more like half-twins?

Wow! Awesome :D I have yet to master a non-European language. My next goal is Japanese (it's been on my dream list for so long now), hopefully this will soon change!

• Like 1

Current Challenge

I wish! I do speak Hindi though... so more like half-twins?

tumblr_inline_ndtn0sWY8U1smh14x.jpg

YOU SPEAK HINDI?! HINDI IS LIKE THE SISTER OF URDU! Which is my mother tongue 8D

This message was convincingly brought to you by,"my imaginative brain", co-produced by "my nimble but bulbous fingers".

Background: 27 year old Nerdling. Idk what to write anymore so imagine that this is a cool intro

Spoiler

Quote:

Day 0 of challenge. Mentally preparing for the leap into inner peace and letting go.

I didn't log in Friday and Saturday but I was doing all the good stuff that make me happy so, yay! ^_^

Friday was Indian/Afghan dinner and watched a Bollywood film with friends.

Saturday we made Northern Italian dinner of polenta and beef ragout, it was exactly what I'd eat at home, so yummy and comforting!

Conclusion: yay for friends who can cook :D

53.gif

Daily Victories:

=> I finally assigned my points and decided on a evaluation method (edited into the first challenge post). It's all about Wisdom and Charisma, but that's what I get for focusing on meditation and mental health basics, and it's pretty great to be wise and charismatic after all, hehe!

=> Applied to three jobs today.

=> I'm off to watch Top Hat, daily thing I love: check! ^_^

Let's get this challenge started! Good luck to everyone who lives in the US and has to factor in Thanksgiving!

Current Challenge

Hooray for Bollywood. Which movie did you watch?

YOU SPEAK HINDI?! HINDI IS LIKE THE SISTER OF URDU! Which is my mother tongue 8D

Sweet! I did South Asian studies in uni. I also tried to learn Urdu so I know some Nastaleeq but my spelling has always been horrible.

• Like 1

Forever Respawning Rebel

CURRENT CHALLENGE

It's day 1, go go go go go

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!

tumblr_lotqwi9z7Z1qfo270o1_400.gif

Sweet! I did South Asian studies in uni. I also tried to learn Urdu so I know some Nastaleeq but my spelling has always been horrible.

oh, my! I wish it was possible to study for years, and years, and years... ^_^

We watched Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi, it was a lot of fun and super long as always, hehe!

41808279.gif

Current Challenge

I can help with that! :D truly great!

Spoiler

Quote:

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!

We watched Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi, it was a lot of fun and super long as always, hehe!

41808279.gif

AHHAAAHAA. THAT. MOVIE XD. My favourites would be Rani, Dawat-e-Ishq and English Vinglish. Ever followed any Pakistani movie or drama?

• Like 1

Spoiler

Quote:

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!

41808279.gif

Movie added to the list. I should make that a life quest in one of my future challenges. One bollywood movie a week... all in the name of foreign language education of course :D

AHHAAAHAA. THAT. MOVIE XD. My favourites would be Rani, Dawat-e-Ishq and English Vinglish. Ever followed any Pakistani movie or drama?

I've not had a chance to get much into Pakistani movies, but always happy for suggestions!

Do we need a film club?

• Like 1

Forever Respawning Rebel

CURRENT CHALLENGE