amberdisa fer í víking

oromendur

Greetings, Assassin sisters and brothers! Amberdisa, reporting for duty, freshly inspired from a (semi-)successful first NF challenge, ready to take the plunge again. There is a slight problem, however.

I am scheduled to begin a long and winding travel marathon that will require me to leave my house on 12 Nov, visit at least two European countries with the possibility of up to two more, head back across the Atlantic to spend Christmas with family, and then go straight to an intensive residential session at school back in California before I finally get to see my poor little house again, well after the first of the year. This of course makes any sort of sustained commitment to specific physical activities quite difficult. Difficult -- but not impossible. Nothing is impossible in this rebellion...right? Right.

So, in the spirit of all the friendly energy that sustained me last time, I shall take advantage of this exciting opportunity to structure my challenge as a Viking raid! Without all the pillaging and burning, of course. I'm a modern Viking, after all: kinder, gentler, more politically correct. I stick my sword in Resistance and other enemies of the rebellion, not in other Vikings or lesser folk. Unless they attack me. Or my friends. Or insult my parentage. Or look at me funny. Anyway.

My main quest, given everything else that's going on, is to survive the long trip with eating and exercise habits as intact as possible, and to complete my required academic work. My motivation still remains to remember (and work towards becoming again) the fit, successful woman I used to be. (It's also to do eight pull-ups, but I learned last challenge that the Armstrong pull-up program takes far more willpower and energy than I'm likely to have on this upcoming trip, so I am consciously setting the battle with that particular dragon aside until next time. I hereby promise to myself that I will re-attack with gusto in January.)

Quest 1: Haul on the oars

DO SOMETHING PHYSICAL at least three times a week. It can be anything; a run (1 mile or more), a hike (3 miles or more), a bike ride (5 miles or more), a hotel room workout, a bodyweight workout, anything that is mindfully chosen as dedicated exercise. (I am explicitly NOT allowed to count up Fitbit steps on an active day and call it a workout.) 1 point for each legitimate workout, total 18. +5 spread out between STR and STA depending on what I actually manage to do (I’ll probably use Fitocracy points at the end of the challenge to calculate this out so it’s not completely subjective).

Quest 2: Ale and salted fish

Keep up my normal 16-hour fasting protocol at least five days a week. Extra days earn extra points. I may also earn extra points by breaking the fast with a slow-carb compliant meal as described by Tim Ferris in The Four-Hour Body. (In order for the meal to count, I must not eat any sugary or starchy crap until at least two hours after said meal). Yes, this should be easy for me -- I'm intentionally allowing for a lower level of challenge here so that if things fall apart elsewhere I can still recover. 1 point for each fasting day, total 30. +2 CON.

Quest 3: Oar-dancing

One of the reasons I've come to the Assassins is because I'm tight and clunky and slow and I've somehow lost (among other things) the excellent kinesthetic sense I used to have. My reward for the last challenge was a massage; the massage therapist made me stand up and bend over and twist around, and he said I had one of the worst cases of Anterior Pelvic Tilt (APT) he had ever seen. He then proceeded, with strong fingers in painful places, to demonstrate exactly how bad it was :( He suggested a few wimpy-seeming physical-therapy-style exercises. After some internet research I found a more robust set of movements designed to correct APT in athletes, which I here commit to execute at least three times a week. (I am allowed to skip the Romanian deadlift if I don't have access to a gym, which will be most of the trip.) Also, to improve that vanished kinesthetic sense, I will do at least five minutes of easy hand balance practice three times a week, to get me closer to that elusive handstand. I can hold one against the wall all day long, but the minute I have to maintain my own balance I just turn into hopeless jelly. 1 point for each APT session and 1 point for each handstand session, total 36. Extra points for extra sessions. +4 DEX.

Due to the situation, my Life Quest needs to be structured in two phases, one for the outward venture and one for the return.

Phase 1: WORD COUNT. I need to be a scribbling little Viking until the end of November. Completing my seventh NaNoWriMo novel would be quite a challenge in itself, but I'm in kind of a bind here because I also have not one, not two, but THREE fifteen-page papers due by Thanksgiving! So, yeah, crazy. Let's just call this the berserker part of the challenge, because FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION (slobber, foam, shield-bite)!! Ahem. Five points each for the papers and five points for the novel, total 20. +2 WIS.

Phase 2: PAGE COUNT. In order to be ready for the first session of the next quarter at school, I have a massive amount of reading to do. (I did the math once, and it worked out to be about a hundred pages a day. I won’t know how much it will be this time until we get our syllabi this weekend, but it’s not likely to be much less.) In being honest with myself, if I don't do it before I hit my sister's house the week before Christmas, it won't get done -- so once I've finished writing my little heart out I get a day off (Thanksgiving, maybe?) and then I need to dive into reading my little heart out. Again, FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION. Five points for each course's first session required reading completed, total 15. +2 WIS.

I shall now go and pack my húðfat. I have a school residential session to get through this weekend, and then -- when the big silver longship with wings sidles up to the pier next week -- I will be ready to embark on the next adventure! Good luck to all my fellow Rebels! See you on the beach!

• Like 3

hröa Periano, sanar Eldaro, fëa Núnatano

(body of a Hobbit, mind of an Elf, soul of a Dúnadan)

Memories of a former Age [ 1 |  2 ]  ~  Return from Mandos [ respawn ]

Recent sojourns in Middle-earth [ 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 ]

[ Current: Misty Mountains ]   ~   [ Tracking spreadsheet ]   ~   [ Instagram ]   ~   [ Books ]  

The warrior and the artist live by the same code of necessity, which dictates that the battle must be fought anew every day.  ~ Steven Pressfield, The War of Art

Damn. That's an enormous load of work that you have to deal with! This won't be easy but I am positive that you got all the willpower and endurance it needs to manage everything!

I wish you all the best for this challenge and I am of course following you again and looking forward to reading your success-stories! :D

Let's go strong again shield-sister! ^_^

Gesendet von meinem ST27i mit Tapatalk

• Like 1

"The purpose of life is to be happy." - Tendzin Gyatsho, the 14th Dalai Lama 

Character

Welcome to the assassins! 

Correcting APT Is huuuuge, especially if you want to do anything with advanced bodyweight work or weighted workouts. Kudos to you for focusing on that! Your back and hips will thank you big time in the long run. 

Good luck staying sane with all the traveling! We're here rooting for you. :)

• Like 2

Raptron, alot assassin

666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

Let's go strong again shield-sister! ^_^

Absolutely! So proud and happy to have you in the shield wall next to me again!

Seriously, the world needs all the shield maidens it can get these days. Good luck in your quest to become an even more amazing one :)

• Like 1

Recent sojourns in Middle-earth [ 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 ]

[ Current: Misty Mountains ]   ~   [ Tracking spreadsheet ]   ~   [ Instagram ]   ~   [ Books ]  

The warrior and the artist live by the same code of necessity, which dictates that the battle must be fought anew every day.  ~ Steven Pressfield, The War of Art

Correcting APT Is huuuuge, especially if you want to do anything with advanced bodyweight work or weighted workouts.

Thanks for the welcome! I really hope the APT work pays off. While advanced stuff down the road sounds great, I'd honestly be happy if my back would just stop hurting for a while. This nagging, on-again-off-again hip flexor and lower back pain makes everything else so damned hard...

Watch this space for dispatches from the front in the war of trying to sort myself out while traveling :)

I did some thinking about the back exercises you posted. I did a bit of back exercise a few days ago and its something I could definitely need also in order to prevent backache. So I hope you don't mind me following your example and including some of it in my challenge ;)

• Like 1

Character

I hope you don't mind me following your example and including some of it in my challenge ;)

Be my guest! It's why were all here, right? To learn from each other?

Well, and Vikings, too. I'm here for the Vikings :)

r169_457x256_11424_Viking_ship_2d_illust

• Like 3

Fight on, shield-maiden! =) I've done NaNo a few times myself--sadly couldn't this year, because I'm in the middle of revising a novel that took most of the year to write, but hopefully I'll be back on board for NaNo 2015!

Good luck as you go a-Viking--Thor's strength and Odin's wisdom be with you!

• Like 1

"You are what you do. Choose again, and change." - Miles Vorkosigan

Challenges

109 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1 |

Pirate On ship

(click to embiggen)

Good luck as you start another challenge.

It looks like you have your plan all set.

• Like 1

Current Challenge: (Feb-Mar 21) Step by Step

My Epic Quest Character Sheet  *** Old Challenges and Links hidden below

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2012) 1st (Scout) 2nd (Scout) *** (2013) 3rd (Warrior) 4th (Warrior) 5th (Warrior) 6th (Assassin) ***

(2014) 7th (Ranger) 8th (Scout) 9th (Monk) 10th (Scout) *** (2015) 11th (Ranger) 12th (Ranger) 13th (Ranger) 14th (Ranger) 15th (Scout) 16th (Scout) *** (2016) 17th (Ranger) 18th (Scout) 19th (Scout) 20th (Rebel)

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Past groups: The Wild Hunt 6 *** The Serenity Crew *** The Wild Hunt 5 *** The Wild Hunt 4 *** The Wild Hunt 3 *** The Wild Hunt 2 *** The Wild Hunt 1 *** Browncoats

Achievements: (20 Sep 2014) Completed first half marathon *** (17 Feb 2014) Finished mission to bring body fat from over 25% to under 12% over six months (trying to repeat that now)

Well, after a very complicated odyssey involving Uber/Amtrak/Flyaway/LAX/MSP/AMS and then an unplanned detour to Utrecht, I've managed to complete the first travel leg of my challenge. I've arrived in the Netherlands safely, I have a bedroom and internet, and I have twelve days to write three papers. So what am I doing? Goofing off on NF, of course :)

It think it's very wise to take the travel into account and allow that flexibility tight your workouts.

After the last few days, I'm not sure even this will be flexible enough...but it's still early in the challenge, so I can still catch up. I hope.

Good luck as you go a-Viking--Thor's strength and Odin's wisdom be with you!

Many thanks, my knightly monkish brother-in-arms! I think I'm going to need both of them, not to mention all the luck I can get. Perhaps we should give Loki his due too.

Good luck as you start another challenge.

Aha -- there's the above-mentioned luck! Thank you!

How are you? How was the start of the traveling?

In a strange bit of irony, the absolute worst part of the trip was the European trains. Perhaps Loki was listening to all of the bad things I was saying about American trains running late on Wednesday; when I got to Amsterdam, the direct train I needed wasn't running, so I muscled all of my bags onto a different train so I could make a connection in Utrecht, which *also* turned out not to be running. I had to clamber up and down from the platform to the station three times before I finally found a train that would take me where I wanted to go. But I've made it now, and am very much enjoying the beautiful autumn in Central Europe.

We, um, won't talk about the other specifics of my actual challenge. Not yet. Not until I have a chance to do something. Because now that I'm here I will do something. Really. I will.

Thanks for all the encouragement, everybody! Hope your week 1 is going well!

• Like 5

I love reading difficult travel stories -- I have experienced them enough, that I can deeply sympathize, and still say, "Glad it was you and not me."

Looking forwrd to hear about how the physical and writing parts of your challenge are going!

Soarwhale

Next time try the soar-whale?

• Like 1

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2012) 1st (Scout) 2nd (Scout) *** (2013) 3rd (Warrior) 4th (Warrior) 5th (Warrior) 6th (Assassin) ***

(2014) 7th (Ranger) 8th (Scout) 9th (Monk) 10th (Scout) *** (2015) 11th (Ranger) 12th (Ranger) 13th (Ranger) 14th (Ranger) 15th (Scout) 16th (Scout) *** (2016) 17th (Ranger) 18th (Scout) 19th (Scout) 20th (Rebel)

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Past groups: The Wild Hunt 6 *** The Serenity Crew *** The Wild Hunt 5 *** The Wild Hunt 4 *** The Wild Hunt 3 *** The Wild Hunt 2 *** The Wild Hunt 1 *** Browncoats

Achievements: (20 Sep 2014) Completed first half marathon *** (17 Feb 2014) Finished mission to bring body fat from over 25% to under 12% over six months (trying to repeat that now)

If you're going to vicariously live my challenge, than I'm going to vicariously live your travel. I made it 'across the pond' for the first time in my life earlier this year, and I am just dying to do it again! I'm already working on making a trip to Germany happen, denn liebe ich Deutsch sehr!

Where did the first leg of your trip end? I see that Utrecht is in the Netherlands, and it sounds like you went further east...? =)

• Like 1

"You are what you do. Choose again, and change." - Miles Vorkosigan

Challenges

109 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1 |

Week 2 already? Oh, dear...

Here's my WEEK 1 UPDATE:

Quest 1 (Haul on the oars): Traveling made this REALLY difficult. I wish I could count dragging 150# of luggage up and down stairs... I managed one intentional workout on Saturday; I was feeling very sick (either the significant change in food or some kind of intestinal bug put me flat on my back), and it was kind of cold and yucky, but I'd already spent about eighteen hours in bed and decided some air might do me good. I left my friends' house and walked around their little Dutch town for an hour or so. I took an extra turn down to the main road in order to make sure the GPS said 3 miles so I could count it. We won't talk about the fact that it was the slowest walk ever... Points: 1/3.

Quest 2 (Ale and salted fish): This went well. Being sick all day on Saturday and eating nothing but a bowl of lentil soup in the evening helped... Fasted every day but Sunday (as I woke up feeling less ill but absolutely RAVENOUS), and broke the fast on Tuesday with a slow-carb compliant meal. As I expected, this is where I'll make up my extra points -- but it's not a pointless exercise because it does give me a reason to resist the wonderful European breakfasts surrounding me every day. I want to minimize my losses to all the friendly but incessant peer pressure on this visit :) Points: 7/5.

Quest 3 (Oar-dancing): Also very difficult because of the traveling, and because I haven't really ever had a pattern like this in my life. I did the APT exercises on Tuesday, and again on Saturday after my walk. I've done ZERO balance practice sessions. I need to get on this one in Week 2. Points: 2/6.

Life quest (WORD COUNT): I'm behind. In all possible respects. I have another ten minutes to waste time on NF and then I'm going to dive into my Alchemy paper. Points: ZERO. Can I get negative points? :(

Right. Monday morning. Lots of work to do. I hope everyone is attacking Week 2 feeling strong!

• Like 1

Sorry to hear you were sick! Hope you're feeling better now!

Great job on the fasting and stepping out for a walk even though you didn't feel that well :)

Wishing you much success with your work and a good start into week 2, shield-sister! :)

Gesendet von meinem ST27i mit Tapatalk

• Like 1

Character

Next time try the soar-whale?

HA! That couldn't possibly have been worse :)

If you're going to vicariously live my challenge, than I'm going to vicariously live your travel. I made it 'across the pond' for the first time in my life earlier this year, and I am just dying to do it again! I'm already working on making a trip to Germany happen, denn liebe ich Deutsch sehr!

Where did the first leg of your trip end? I see that Utrecht is in the Netherlands, and it sounds like you went further east...? =)

South, actually. I'm still in the Netherlands, in a tiny little town called Munstergeleen, near Sittard. I'm staying with some friends in the British military (I met him in Afghanistan) who are stationed at the NATO HQ there. I do hope to get over to Germany -- it will soon be Weihnachtsmarktzeit after all, and Monschau and Aachen are absolutely gorgeous this time of year -- and I will be heading to the UK in a few weeks, but I have so much work to do that I don't know how much time I'll be able to spare for sightseeing. We'll see how well the work goes...sigh.

• Like 1

Sounds like a decent first week to me -- mix of sucesses and shortcomings, overcoming obstacles and planning for how to do things a little differently for the next week.  You are already playing on hard mode -- trying to keep good exercise and eating habits while travelling is really tough! 

Goliath hammer 2

You'll be hammering down the doors in no time.
  • Like 1

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

I am only permitted to make this one post today and then I MUST get to work -- but I just wanted to announce that I WENT FOR A RUN TODAY. It wasn't far, and it wasn't fast, but it counts :) I also did the APT exercises afterwards. Now I just need to figure out a way to do the handstand practice...

Right. No more internet. Work now.

• Like 5

Niiice! 

Raptron, alot assassin

666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

Hi amberdisa!

I hope you are fine! Guess you have to cope with a huge amout of work at the moment. Let's seperate it in little tasks and tick off one little task after another. I always need to force me not to think off all the work that is left because this seems so slaying, so one step after another and we are going to make it :)

checklist-cartoon.gif

By coping with this all we show ourselves how awesome we are  :victorious:

Greets  :cheerful:

• Like 2

Character

rahvin6.png

amberdisa is one very tired little Viking, dragging herself back into the rebellion after a seriously brutal battle, feeling (and looking) like a week-dead cat. I am NOT in a hurry to repeat the last two weeks. Goodness gracious.

Following please find my (very belated) WEEK TWO and WEEK THREE updates.

WEEK TWO:

Quest 1 (Haul on the oars): I went for a run on Tuesday and a run on Thursday. They were neither the fastest nor the farthest of runs, but they were enough, and they were deliberate exercise. They count. Points: 2/3, point progress 4/18.

Quest 2 (Ale and salted fish): Fasted every day but Sunday, and had one compliant lunch. Points: 7/5, point progress 14/30.

Quest 3 (Oar-dancing): I did the APT exercises after both runs, and I also managed to do them by themselves on Wednesday and Saturday. No hand balancing whatsoever. Points: 4/6, point progress 6/36. 

Life quest (WORD COUNT): I didn't get anything finished, but I did manage to get two papers to 90% and one to about 60%, while continuing to fall further and further behind in my NaNo efforts. Points: 0.

Overall progress at the end of Week 2: 24/119.

WEEK THREE:  

Quest 1 (Haul on the oars): Two runs this week again, with the same caveats as before -- although not one of these runs in my friends' lovely little Dutch town would qualify as either far or fast, each one was just a tad farther and a tad faster than the last, so I can see a small bit of progress here. Well, I could until I got sick again :( Points: 2/3, point progress 6/18.

Quest 2 (Ale and salted fish): Fasted every day. Thursday's fast was only 14 hours, but I'm going to count it because it was Thanksgiving Day and I still managed to cook a full-on American feast for my British hosts while fasting. (It was delicious.) Points: 7/5, point progress 21/30.

Quest 3 (Oar-dancing): I did the APT exercises after both runs. Other than that I have, at this halfway point in the challenge, so far proved to be a complete failure as an assassin :) Points: 2/6, point progress 8/36. 

Life quest (WORD COUNT): This was the big week, the week everything was due, and I started out *very* behind. I just barely got all three papers finished and emailed in time for the deadline on Wednesday. Unfortunately, that took so much time and energy that I was a solid 12,000 words behind on my NaNoWriMo novel. On the evening of the 26th, after the papers were sent, the situation was dire; I basically had four days to write 16,000 words. Oh, and cook (and eat!) Thanksgiving dinner. And catch a special Christmas ride with Sankt Nikolaus on the Selfkantbahn with my hosts and their very lucky daughter on Saturday. And go to the Monschau Christmas Market on Sunday. It took a lot of doing, and I caught the mother of all cruds just in time for the outings in the cold over the weekend, but I got it done -- 50,206 words before midnight on Sunday night. I earned ALL THE POINTS for this first half of my life challenge: 20/20.

I then spent a good portion of today in bed...

Overall progress at the end of Week 3: 55/119.

I expected this to be difficult, but it managed to exceed my expectations. It's now late on Monday night of Week 3. Monday is a loss, I'm afraid, because I am still quite sick, but I really hope to get back on the NF wagon starting tomorrow.

Good wishes to all my fellow rebels -- I will try and catch up on threads tomorrow. Right now, I'm going to bed.
  • Like 4

Get well soon!

• Like 1

Raptron, alot assassin