The Campfire | Recipes for Rangers Who Eat

Hammlin

Feel free to post or steal recipes here!

My Blog | My Story

Race: Wood Elf | Class: Footpath Ranger Leader

Level18 (STR):44.25 (DEX):37.25 (STA):30 (CON):31.25 (WIS):31.5 (CHA):25.25

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

"Love does not throw the book at you because love doesn't have a book to throw." -CS Lewis

An animated instruction of how to prepare green tea, Japanese-style:

http://www.ippodo-tea.co.jp/en/tea/sencha_01.html#top

(This beverage has cured me of sweet-creamy-coffee-in-cans, an ailment that hit when I arrived in Japan. The bitterness of sencha ends up leaving an almost sweet aftertaste. It also makes a nice ritual to take a moment to breathe. And we all need to breathe.

tumblr_mlw3snXgeN1ruu897o1_r2_500.gif

• Like 1

Tzippi Longstockings, level 9 Ranger/Monk 

Battle Log - My Fitness Pal - Quest to Find My Epic Quest - Challenges:   #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7,

The Westerosi Fitness Tour: Dorne Stormlands Vale the Reach Westerlands The Wall 

MamaBear Kiss Off Waterbending Rounding <<Current

ACORN SQUASH FRIES.

acorn-squash-fries.gif

Part of dinner tonight... figured I'd document it.

HOW DOOOO:

Heat the oven (or light up that fire pit) until you're around 400F. 

Now to prep the squash...

Acorn squash is a pain to peel, but if you heat it up it becomes MUCH easier (I zap it for like 2 minutes after pulling the stem off).

Now, peel that squash using whatever works best for you.

Split it, clean it out, and slice it into fry-like shapes.

Now throw it in a bowl and pour about a tablespoon of oil over it (I used EVOO) and spice it up.

You can use whatever you like best, but my preference is a combination of paprika, saigon cinnamon, garlic powder, ground thyme, and ground rosemary.

Toss those suckers on a greased pan and throw it over the heat.

Cook for 10 minutes and then flip 'em.

Go for another 10 minutes and then turn that heat up (I turn on the broiler) to crisp them up.

Add your protein. 

(I had steak and a fried egg with runny yolk on top).

Consume.

ENJOY!

giphy.gif

• Like 5

Current Challenge: She-Hulk Strengthens the Stronghold.

[Level: 6 | STR 8.18 | DEX 6.31 STA 9.47 | CON 11.08 WIS 10.5 | CHA 6.9 ]

I like this as a fall side dish/bento stuffer. I think the cranberries add just the right amount of autumn-ness.

I'm not sure about paleosity, but it's pretty clean, all told, and vegetarian and vegan. It also is good hot or cold and keeps for a while in the fridge.

cabbagegarliccran.jpg

• Like 1

Battle Log - My Fitness Pal - Quest to Find My Epic Quest - Challenges:   #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7,

The Westerosi Fitness Tour: Dorne Stormlands Vale the Reach Westerlands The Wall 

Ha! I think that cat is anticipating some of Tzippi's fish dishes...

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

I eat

• Like 1

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

Salade Niçoise/サラダ ニシスワズ

These two salads are very alike - in fact, the "Sarada Nishisuwazu" is what happened when I tried to make salade niçoise in Japan.

Both salads require (for one serving):

Lettuce or other salad greens (I prefer romaine, but use whatever you like) 1 pile. Washed and dried

Hard-boiled eggs, 1 or 2

1 can tuna, drained

Black pepper

Green beans (if frozen, thawed. If fresh, blanched. If canned, throw that shit away)

New or fingerling potatoes, boiled or microwaved until edible. leave skins on. Cut into smallish cubes or slices.

Tomatoes (preferably cherry tomatoes) halved.

Dressing (choose one below, or a favorite)

Toppings (choose from below, or your favorite)

French-style:

Top lettuce with tuna, halved eggs, green beans, potatoes, and tomatoes in a pleasing pattern (this is a salade composée, which means "arranged all fancy-like" It tastes better if you have some sort of pattern to the design, I swear.) Top with whatever else and drizzle over the dressing below.

For a very traditional salade niçoise, add anchovies and olives (preferably niçoise olives) to the salad. I think the tuna makes it fishy enough, and never have olives on hand, so I skip them.

Dressing

(Start with maybe a tablespoon of the first three ingredients, and add more of everything until it tastes good. Dressings really are a matter of taste - I like mine very mustardy, peppery, and garlicky, but my French friend says I'm "stifling the salad" and need to have less of everything except vinegar, of which I need a lot more. I say you're already eating a salad made of almost nothing but fiber, vitamins, and protein. You are a superstar, do whatever you want.* )

Whisk together:

Apple cider vinegar or lemon juice 

Dijon-style mustard

good quality olive oil

Black pepper!

dash of sea salt

Some kind of herb you like that goes with mustard (tarragon is quite good)

some really thinly sliced onion or garlic, if you like.

Japanese-style

Top lettuce with tuna, halved eggs, green beans, potatoes, and tomatoes in a pleasing pattern (this is a salade composée, which means "arranged all fancy-like" It tastes better if you have some sort of pattern to the design, I swear.) Top with whatever else and drizzle over the dressing below.

Dressing

(fair is fair, I usually use a purchased sesame salad dressing that is available here, because it is delicious. I will find a recipe to share, but imagine a creamy, tahini-based salad dressing with just a little salt and just a little sweet . . . Mm! If you have an Asian market nearby, try to find it. It's not the super sticky-sweet Kraft Sesame Dressing that tastes like syrup - it looks like finely ground sesame seeds suspended in a pale brown gravylike dressing.)

Otherwise, try this one (Start with maybe a tablespoon of the first two ingredients, and add more of everything until it tastes good.)

Whisk together:

Rice Vinegar

good-quality olive oil

a few drops of sesame oil (seriously, this stuff is really strong)

a dash of soy sauce or coconut aminos or whatever gives you salty umami in your life**

smashed ginger

finely chopped green onions (lots)

a few grinds of black pepper or a tiny bit of wasabi powder or paste

*Except putting ranch dressing or thousand island on this salad. You can, if you want, but don't tell me about it, okay? /shudder.

** I feel like I should get a big hoodie embroidered with "Salty Umami 4 Life" and see if I can get on a gang watchlist. 

86B603C2-61E1-4C34-825F-DA9638FB26C0_zps

Pork chop made roughly similar to the recent NF article, just minus the garlic and lemon. Both came later. Just sear the chop on one side for 3-4 minutes, turn, and pop into the 400 degree oven.

Meanwhile, in another pan, heat some butter and olive oil, ten toss in a handful of slivered almonds, heat, and add green beans. Let those go awihle, stirring semi-frequently or whenever.

Pork done? Cool. Take it out, remove it to cutting board or plate or whatever. Let pan sit and cool slightly. Check pork temp. Good? Cool, tent it with foil and leave it alone for now.

Ok, pan's still gonna be hot, so you probably don't need to put it on a hot burner for now, but start deglazing it with some white wine (or whatever. This isn't paleo, by the way, but I was drinking some white wine and it worked, so...). Add in some minced garlic, and some butter, and a heaping spoonful of Dijon mustard. Whisk/mix it all up. Add some lemon juice, and then put some on your green beans too. Add just a touch of heavy cream if you'd like. Mix mix mix. Let it reduce by, well, whatever. Until it's awesome. Salt and pepper to taste.

Eat pork and green beans with pan sauce. Omnomnom.

• Like 1

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." --GK Chesterton

Domine, non sum dignus ut intres sub tectum meum, sed tantum dic verbo et sanabitur anima mea...

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jbaileysewell

. Let it reduce by, well, whatever. Until it's awesome. Salt and pepper to taste.

Great advice for any cook!

• Like 1

Autumnal Ham

Get a gammon joint (or ham joint if you're in the US). I used 1kg, if you use more just increase other ingredients accordingly.

Keep the fat on and just score the surface of the gammon (ham) all the way around with a sharp knife

Rub 1 cup of light brown sugar all over the ham, making sure you get it in to all of the scores you made

Then run half a cup of maple syrup over the joint, making sure it is well covered and massaged in

Place the joint into a slow cooker and then pour in two cups of cloudy apple juice (soft cider in America)

Cook on slow for 5 - 6 hours, one hour before the end, pop the lid off and baste the gammon (ham) in the juices

At the end get the gammon (ham) out on to a chopping board, you should barely need to touch the knife to the meat because it will be so tender. Slice the fat off the top, and cut in to slices

enjoy

• Like 1

Had Kale chicken soup made in the crockpot last night, was great and super easy. Based off the recipe from http://www.mynaturalfamily.com/recipes/my-original-recipes/nourishing-crock-pot-paleo-chicken-kale-soup/

I made some changes, I like adding lemon with kale, makes it less earthy tasting

Nourishing Crock Pot Paleo Chicken & Kale Soup (with my changes, see link for original recipe)

Crock-Pot-Paleo-Chicken-Soup-196x300.jpg

A one-pot chicken soup with a nourishing broth made from chicken bones, fresh thyme, garlic. Loaded with bright vegetables and tender, fall off the bone chicken.
Author: Rebecca
Serves: 8
Ingredients
  • 2 lb. Chicken Thighs, bone-in, skin removed(about 5 thighs) I used bonless
  • ½ T. Coarse Salt(sea salt or Real salt is preferable)
  • ¼ t. Pepper
  • 2 sprigs Fresh Thyme
  • 2 Garlic Cloves, minced
  • 5 C. Chicken Broth
  • 1 lb. Carrots, peeled, sliced in half lengthwise and cut into ¼" slices
  • 1 Yellow Onion, diced
  • ½ bunch Kale(about 4 C. packed) stems removed, chopped into bite sized
  • pieces I ended up dumping a whole bag of pre cut kale, probably 6-8 cups, and loved all the veggies
  • ½ T. Fresh Thyme, chopped
  • Additional Salt and Pepper, to taste
  • I added about 2 cups of chopped celery
  • 2 teaspoons lemon zest
  • 1/2 lemon
  • 1 tablespoon thyme
Instructions
  1. Place the chicken thighs in the base of a crock pot. Sprinkle the salt and pepper over the chicken
  2. Add carrots and Celery Place the thyme sprigs and minced garlic on top of the chicken.
  3. Pour chicken broth into the crock pot.
  4. Cook on low for 6-8 hours
  5. Mix in kale, let cook another 30 minutes
  6. add lemon juice and fresh time and serve

when stiring in the kale the chicken becomes shredded so no need to take it out of the soup to cut it!

Try not, do or do not- Yoda

WMx5PiN.gif

This. I am going to the store and see if they have squash tomorrow. NOOOOOOM.

• Like 1

Level 10 Superhero Trainee (Ranger)

Str 20   Dex 12   Sta 15   Con 15   Wis 13   Cha 16

My Battle Log: Getting Back on the Horse

Challenges! 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

NerFiWriCh Completed: 1!

My book! The Mercenary's Guide to Ruined Seattle.

To all you saints and sinners!

You losers and you winners!

Here's to one more day above the roses!

Yay! I came on the thread to move the kitty where he could look up the thread and see MEAT - chicken, ham, pork chops, and tuna - and you beat me to it! MEAT with squash...

• Like 1

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

This Sweet Potato Soup with Bacon recipe is my go-to for a quick breakfast. Make a giant pot, re-heat in microwave every morning, and add chopped up protein (fresh-cooked bacon is the preferred protein). Quick, simple, delicious. 

I made this. It was amazing. Holy wow.

I didn't have the spice mixture that the author talked about. Instead I added a bit of pumpkin-pie spice, which is basically nutmeg and cinnamon, for that little bit of extra holiday magic.

I made this. It was amazing. Holy wow.

I didn't have the spice mixture that the author talked about. Instead I added a bit of pumpkin-pie spice, which is basically nutmeg and cinnamon, for that little bit of extra holiday magic.

Here is her recipe for that spice mix, but usually anything sweet and savory works well.  :) Glad it still worked! It's a great way to make potato soup in general. I've tried making a basic white potato soup with potato chunks, cheese, and bacon using the same method, and it's fantastic as well.

I...am going to have to use that technique. I wonder how it would work with certain squashes.

Bacon Sweet Potato Salad (my wife found a recipe on the internet, I adapted it to make it paleo)

3 large sweet potatoes, cubed

5 garlic cloves, chopped to whatever size you want

2 T. coconut oil, melted

Chipotle chili powder (or whatever chili powder you prefer_

Cinnamon

1/2 lb of bacon (or more!)

1.  Pre-Heat Oven to 375 F

2.  Toss sweet potatoes and garlic in melted coconut oil until well covered.  You can either do this in a bowl or in the roasting pan directly.  If you choose the roasting pan method, I line mine with aluminum foil for easy clean up.

3.  Sprinkle sweet potatoes  with desired amount of chili powder & cinnamon.

4.  Put in pre-heated oven for approx. 30 minutes.

5.  While sweet potatoes are roasting, cook bacon.  I prefer my bacon less crispy, but cook it to your desired preference.

6.  When sweet potatoes are done, immediately toss sweet potatoes and bacon together in a bowl.

7.  Eat!  While I think this recipe is good warm, it's also great cold as a side to eggs or on its own for lunch!

• Like 1

Atlantean Ranger

Epic Quest Level 4

"Remember - I'm still the king of the Seven Seas!  And if I wish I can command all the creatures of the sea to attack you - at once!"

Kahlua Pork (adapted from nom nom paleo):

3 large slices of pork belly

1 large pork roast (nom nom's recipe calls for  5 lb roast, I have made it with a 3 lb roast, just adjust the cooking time as needed)

5 garlic cloves (or more)

1 1/2 T.  Alaea Hawaiian sea salt (or whatever coarse salt you want, but using the Hawaiian salt adds the "kahlua" ;) )

1.  Line the bottom of your slow cooker with the pork belly.

2.  Using a very sharp knife, make 5 (or however many garlic cloves you have) deep slits into the pork.  I usually just thrust down into the pork (like you're on top of a dragon and thrusting you sword in for a killing blow).

3.  Give your pork a nice massage with the salt.  Get it everywhere.  Remember you, just stabbed it, so now be nice!  ;)

4.  Place the pork in the slow cooker on top of the pork belly mattress.  (If your roast has the skin on it, make sure your skin-side is up).

5.  Cover with the slow cooker lid and cook on low.  16 hours for the 5 lb roast - but adjust as needed.

6.  The pork is done when you can shred with a fork.

7.  When done, remove from slow cooker and shred with fork.  I like including the pork belly which will fall apart but adds a nice flavor.  Don't shred in the slow cooker because all the liquid is incredibly salty.  You can use the liquid to season the roast after shredding.

8.  Serve!  Put in tupperware and have shredded pork for the rest of the week!  

Atlantean Ranger

Epic Quest Level 4

"Remember - I'm still the king of the Seven Seas!  And if I wish I can command all the creatures of the sea to attack you - at once!"