• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hammlin

The Campfire | Recipes for Rangers Who Eat

Pork belly is a treat and the cooking method reminds me of something I'd posted last challenge. However, I don't see any Kahlua (as in, coffee liquer) involved

Kahlua Pork (adapted from nom nom paleo):

1 1/2 T.  Alaea Hawaiian sea salt (or whatever coarse salt you want, but using the Hawaiian salt adds the "kahlua" ;) )

Perheaps you meant "Kahuna"?

This is my go to crock pot roast, and it makes plenty of leftovers for lunches!

Ingredients

1 Grass-Fed Beef Roast (I used an Arm Roast)

4 cloves garlic, peeled and whole

1/4 cup Bragg’s Liquid Aminos or Coconut Aminos

1/3 cup Balsamic Vinegar

1 teaspoon Himalayan salt

1 teaspoon pepper

Directions

Place the Roast in a Slow CookerSpread the cloves of garlic on the bottom of the crockPour the liquid aminos and balsamic vinegar on top of the roast (most will roll off and sit on the bottom of the slow cooker)Sprinkle with salt and pepperTurn the slow cooker on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hoursThe roast will be extremely tender and can be served as a main dish to any vegetable side dish

This is from:

http://justenjoyfood.com

• Like 2

Adzuki beans with kabocha squash

Ingredients:

4 to 6 in piece of konbu

1 cup dried adzuki beans

2 cups kabocha squash, chopped

1 tsp shoyu

Chopped parsley for garnish

Put kombu into a bowl, top with beans. Cover with water. Cover bowl, leave overnight (or two days, if you're me).Drain water.

Cut kombu into 1x1in pieces. Put in pot, top with beans, and pour in water to just cover. Turn heat to medium-high, boil. Skim off the foam. Boil uncovered for 5 minutes.

Cover, reduce heat to low. Simmer about 40 minutes. Add water, so it stays above bean level. After 40 minutes, arrange kabocha on top, add more water if needed, to cover beans. Cook another 20, until beans are soft. Add shoyu, cook another 10. 

This is the traditional recipe, and its pretty good. I was craving a taste of home, though - so I added cumin and red pepper to make a Southwestern flavored thing. The beans get a nice "refried" kind of texture to them, as well, without needing any extra oil! Serve with rice, tortillas, or just a mess of vegetables. 

Homemade curry

(adapted from a paleohacks red curry recipe)

sml_gallery_15965_1179_448669.jpg

This recipe yields 3 good portions and can be eaten right away or refrigerated and re-heated for tasty meals!

Ingredients:

90g butter or ghee

300g meat, chopped up (I like lamb leg steaks best but you can use whatever meat you want)

1 small head broccoli, chopped up

1 red bell pepper, chopped up

1 yellow pepper, chopped up

80g baby spinach

100g red onion, chopped up

1 jar curry paste or sauce (my favourites are bhuna and jalfrezi, but use whatever flavour you like)

Method:

1. Melt 75g of the butter or ghee in the pan and add the meat. Stir fry on high heat until the meat is just about cooked.

2. Add the broccoli and continue to stir fry for a few minutes.

3. Turn the heat down to medium.

4. Add the remaining butter or ghee, the peppers and the onion. Stir fry for about 3 minutes.

5. Turn the heat down to low.

6. Add the curry paste or sauce. Stir to make sure everything is covered in sauce.

7. Put the lid on the pan and leave to simmer for about 10 minutes.

8. Add the spinach and stir to make sure all the spinach is covered in sauce.

9. Put the lid back on the pan and leave to simmer for about 5 minutes.

10. Stir and serve!

• Like 2

I adapted this from a Brazilian Chicken recipe I found ages ago. You can add any type of chilies you like to adjust the heat you your liking. I use birds eye chilies as I like it hot! I serve this with brown rice.

Chicken and Butternut Squash Curry

Ingredients are approximate (I don't tend to measure, just pour!)

4 Chicken Breasts, chopped (or equivalent weight of chicken thighs) Thighs will require longer cooking but taste better

half butternut squash, peeled and chopped into small chunks

2 tablespoons olive oil

1 medium onion, chopped

2 cloves garlic, crushed

1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced

2 chilies, chopped, seeds removed (or leave them in if you dare!)

1 400ml tin coconut milk

For the spice mix:

1 tsp cayenne pepper

1 tsp turmeric

1 tsp ground coriander (seed)

salt and pepper to taste

Optional

Fresh coriander (cilantro) 

Fresh spinach

• Place the chicken in a bowl and add the spice mix. ensure all the chicken is coated in the spices.Add 1 tablespoon of oil to a pan over a medium heat, add the chopped onion and cook until softened.
  • Add the rest of the oil and add the chicken to the pan. Fry until the chicken is no longer pink on the outside, stirring occasionally. Add the butternut squash, garlic, ginger and chilies and cook for around 3-4 mins continue to stir to prevent the garlic and ginger from burning.
  • Add the coconut milk, bring to the boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook for around 20-25 mins or until the butternut squash is tender and the chicken is cooked*. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
  • A few minutes before the end of cooking, add the fresh coriander (cilantro) and spinach if using.

* if using chicken thighs you'll need to cook for longer. This may over cook the butternut squash so you can add the squash later on in the cooking time to prevent the squash being to squishy!

• Like 1

Totally not my recipe, but seriously the best thing I've eaten/made in a while.  Salmon and Zucchini with Shallot Vinaigrette. SO GOOD. I've not made it twice and it turned out amazing both times.

Also, for the holidays, I usually make sweet potato casserole, but instead of super sweet I made it savory.  I don't have a recipe as I just wing it each year... but basically I make a regular sweet potato casserole (find a recipe anywhere on the internets), make sure there's egg in it and if not add an egg to the recipe to hold it together as the topping is kinda liquidy and can kinda seep in there and make it fall apart... add a bit of orange juice too. Then as a topping instead of nuts or marshmallow I do caramalized onions. My family raves about it all year, and it is pretty good if I do say so myself :D

• Like 1

This is my go to salad- nothing too exciting but it's quick and super yummy. 

The only prep I do is chop a small red onion and soak it in red wine vinegar for an hour (up to overnight). 

2-3 cups of Spinach

1 small Apple cut into slivers

Handful of Dried Cranberries (can substitute with halved grapes)

Red wine vinegar onions

1/2 Avocado

1/2 cup chopped Mushrooms of your choice. Raw or if you're feeling fancy sautee the suckers up. 

1/4 cup pistachios, raw, unsalted

If you need more protein for the day throw in your choice of meat! I usually stick to grilled chicken. 

Dress it with a bit of balsamic dressing and BAM! Filling super yummy quick fix. 

Here's a nice filipino dish I've discovered since moving to the middle east.  I can't get the chorizo here (technically illegal and everything), but I'm guessing it'll taste even better with that included:

Caldereta (Filipino Beef and Chorizo Stew)

2 pounds beef chuck, cubed

12 ounces chorizo sausage

1/4 cup garlic, minced

1/4 cup white vinegar

1/4 cup soy sauce

2 tbsp olive oil

1 onion, chopped

1 green bell pepper, chopped

3 cups tomato sauce

2 cups peeled and cubed potatoes

1 cup drained canned peas

1 tsp salt

1 tsp ground black pepper

1) Combine beef chuck, chorizo, garlic, vinegar, and soy sauce in a skillet over medium heat; cook and stir until beef chuck is browned and liquid is reduced, about 20 minutes.  Remove from heat.

2) Heat olive oil in a pot over medium heat; cook and stir onion and green bell pepper in the hot oil until onion is translucent, 5-10mins.  Add tomato sauce and simmer until liquid is slightly reduced, 3-5mins.

3) Stir beef-chorizo mixture into tomato sauce mixture; bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to medium-low, cover pot, and simmer for 30-40mins.

4) Stir potatoes, peas, salt, and pepper into stew; simmer until beef is tender and potatoes are cooked through, 20-30mins.  Add water if needed.

This can be bulked out with other veg as well; I've been told carrots work well, and I suspect parsnips would too.

Enjoy!

• Like 1

I cut this out of a magazine years ago, so can't give proper credit. Leave out the unusual ingredients if you don't have them (probably as long as you had clams/mussels, fish sauce, and limes you would be ok)...it's a pretty flexible recipe. You can make it with either clams or mussels. Both are very high in iron. This amount serves 6-8 as a side dish. I would often half the recipe and it make a nice dinner for two.

Clams with lemongrass and chiles

4 dozen small clams (like littlenecks), rinsed well ~ 5 lbs

2 stalks fresh lemongrass, peel off and keep the outer leaves. bottom 4 inches of stalk thinly sliced across (this is delicious, but I almost never have it)

2 T veg oil

2 shallots, thinly sliced (almost never have this either, add a bit of onion if you want)

3 garlic cloves, minced

2 small fresh green chilis (jalapeno, serano, Thai), thinly sliced crosswise (obviously adjust for more/less heat)

1/2 c lime juice plus wedges for garnish (5 limes total)

1/4 c asian fish sauce

1 c loosely packed fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped (also delicious with basil)

1. Dissolve 2 T salt in a large bowl of cold water. Soak clams at room temp for 15 min. Drain (this gets the sand/grit out)

2. Scrub clams under cold running water. The recipe says to scrub and rinse several times. Gotta say, I never do this. Drain. Refrigerate uncovered up to 8 hours until ready to use (I'm always cook them right away!!)

3. Put lemongrass leaves in large pot with 1/2 of water. Bring to boil. Add clams. Steam covered until clams open (6-7 min). Drain. Discard any unopened clams and the leaves.

4. Add oil, sliced lemongrass, shallots, garlic and chilis. Cook medium high stirring constantly ~2 min. Remove from heat. Add clams back in, gently stir to coat.

5. Combined fish sauce and lime juice in a small bowl. Pour over clams. Transfer into serving bowl. Sprinkle with cilantro and garnish with lime wedges.

So I have a pile of recipes kicking around, but this one is on the brain:  Chicken stew with lots of peppers and sweet potatoes.  Best served over rice with a little queso fresco crumbled on top:

Sweet potato and chicken/pork stew

1. Yet again, start by sautéing an onion
  2. Chop and add a medley of peppers – I just buy a handful of different colors:  a jalapeno, a poblano, some Puero Rican small slightly spicy peppers, and 1-2 red and orange bell peppers.
  3. Add 28 oz fire-roasted tomatoes
  4. Method 1:  Add 3+ lbs chicken thighs, cut into med/large pieces, for kicks you can also add 1lb broken up chorizo without the casings.  IF you use chorizo, let the surface brown before adding chicken.  The chorizo is also a good complement to the pork (method 2)
  5. Method 2:  add pulled pork instead of chicken.  Break the cooked pork into a variety of sizes.
  6. Add salt, pepper, oregano, and chicken stock to cover.  Some chili powder and paprika is optional, maybe a tablespoon or two total.
  7. Let stew gently until chicken is cooked through
  8. Peel and chop 2-4 red garnet (deep orange) sweet potatoes or yams.  If it’s a big potato, I usually cut 1-1.5†rounds into quarters.  Smaller potatoes, the rounds just get chopped in half.
  9. Peel and slice carrots.  For this stew, since the sweet potato pieces are big, diagonally slice the carrot in 1.5†long slices.  If the carrot is very thick, cut in half.
  10. Stew until potatoes are tender and carrots are cooked through, maybe 20-25 minutes more.
  11. Serve with queso fresco on top, or cilantro and/or avocado slices.  Also very good over rice.
  • Like 1

Let me treat you to my latest addiction, a cruchy winter salad

- Grab some broccoli and cauliflower. Wash them well, chop off the flowery tops and throw the rest away. Make sure they're bite-sized or smaller. Mix them in a salad bowl, more or less in a 50-50 ratio. If so desired, chop some carrots into similar size chunks and toss them in for colour and extra crunch.

- Take the juice of a fresh orange and mix it with a bit of oil and balsamic vinegar. It is important that you use an actual orange as opposed to orange juice, there's less sugar in it and the taste is completely different. Also, the vinegar is necessary to cover the slightly bitter taste of veggies, in combination with the juice's acidity.

- Pour the mix over the veggies. Feel free to add seasonal nuts and dried fruit (raisins, cranberries etc)

• Like 2

So my search for a "paleo" bread turned up this one:  http://www.marksdailyapple.com/crock-pot-turkey-and-primal-stuffing/#axzz3KfbkMPK9

Then I made my mother's stuffing for our Thanksgiving meal. 

All the bread (cut into cubes and left on the counter for a day to become stale)

one pound sausage

one green apple (diced)

1/2 cup cranberries (halved)

leeks (diced)

celery (diced, I like to use the leafy tops)

chicken stock

sage

oregano

salt and pepper

(I really wing it with this recipe!)  I mix it all together to taste.  Add enough chicken stock to make it moist. Place in a greased rectangle cake pan (or what size works best). Cook at whatever temp the other stuff in your oven is cooking at till the top is crusty and the inside is still moist but not sticky!!!

I do not know how to cook, yay! I'm learning though. Here is one of the only things I know how to make. Simple, but delicious.

Easiest Egg Muffins

makes 12 muffins

Ingredients:

8 eggs

1/2 pound meat of choice (spicy sausage is great)

Jalapenos, onions, olives, tomatoes, or other delicious filling of choice

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit, then:

1. Cook the meat, and drain off the excess fat.

2. Grease a muffin pan (I used one my mom has that holds 12 muffins at once).

3. Distribute the meat evenly in each muffin cup/compartment/thing.

4. Put your filler vegetable on top of the meat. I love using jalapenos, and I put 3-5 jalapeno slices in each cup.

5. Whisk the eggs and pour uniformly in each muffin cup. Generally when i make these the egg ends up about a half inch below the top of the cup. This is ideal, as the muffins do expand a bit.

6. Bake the muffins for 20-25 minutes, until they're a little darker than golden on top. I tend to err on the side of 25 minutes, just to make sure they're done in the middle.

7. Let cool, then store in the refrigerator.

They should last a week or so, so you can make a batch and have easy breakfast for the week. I find two muffins is plenty of breakfast for me, but its up to you. I nuke them for 30 seconds, and BAM breakfast! Yay, convenient food.