Raise the Gates! Runner 5s of Abel Township

Name: Taylor

Favorite Character: Like Amdhiel I have also done "The Walk" app, so I am also a little biased about the characters I have met so far. I will definitely keep an open mind. So far though I like Dr. Myers. Janine seems very interesting. I can't wait to learn more about her. I am interested to see what Runner 4 and Sam will do because they are in "The Walk". So far the personalities seem pretty inline. I think that I will like Archie because of who she is in the other app. But of the people I have met in 5k training, I would definitely have to say Dr. Myers.

Favorite Aspect: I love the immersion and the stories as a whole. It was a brilliant idea!

Personal Running Goals: To run a 5k in one go, no walking.

Running Advice: Just do it and don't think about it. The less you think about it the farther you actually go during the run.

• Like 1

Name:  Dawsy

From:   Vancouver, Canada originally, but now Sydney, Australia

Favorite Character:   Sam
Favorite Aspect:  Well, the zombies of course! I started running with Zombies, Run! on a dark, Autumn morning. Been hooked since then :)
Personal Running Goals:    I used to run 3 days per week, religiously, and felt great for it. It's been a long time since I put running first and kept to a schedule, and my times have taken a huge hit because of it.  So right now, I'm focusing on getting back into the 3 days per week routine
Running Advice:  As above, be consistent training. My favourite routine is a timed 5k on Tuesday, 3-5k hills on Thursday, and 10+ km on Saturday. 

• Like 1

Collected an Alarm Clock

So I went for my first run of the challenge at 6am this morning, and it was amazing. The sun was shining, the temperature was just right, and the humidity was low. I managed 5.5km in 39 minutes, which, considering my recent considerable absence from running, I'm very pleased with.

Strange thing happened. I was doing the mission Eavesdropping, and it ended after just 15 minutes...? WTF? Not sure what happened there...every other mission has been ~30 minutes up to this point. I wonder if I tapped a setting or something. I ended up starting the next mission, but of course it was full length, so finished halfway through. Sigh. 

This ended up messing with my times, etc. If it happens again, I just won't end the mission I think. Oh well, still fun!

I must say that my favorite character is Runner 5 (me). I go through hell and back, race past zombs, no matter what happens, I just run.  Run, just run.  How often do they say that?  Nearly every time.  I get a kick anytime I see something referenced by Sam, bridges, critters, streams, whatever.

Run. Just.... run.

• Like 2

I'm here!  I'm here!   

I was a Level 0 Newb last challenge (after my own NF "Delete" and "New Game".)  I did Zombie 5K last challenge (and hoped to finish up in the two week break, but that didn't happen.  I still have Week 8 to get through and then on to the main app.  Finishing Season 1 is my goal for this challenge.

NF Challenge Thread

Zombies, Run!  (Please note, I had some sync issues with using multiple version of app, a phone that died without syncing, a long wait on a replacement phone, and a crappy loaner phone, so some of my days look like I did 4 runs on one day.  That's inaccurate!)  

Added!

Favortie Character: Haven't gotten in far enough... and I'm baised to the voices because I've been working on the Walk for awhile. The person who does Sam plays a major role in that and well... let's just say its interesting and bias inducing.

Bias inducing... in a good way? :lol: Sam reminds me a LOT of Alistair from Dragon Age: Origins which is a big reason why I think I love him so much. It's almost a good thing their voices are dissimilar otherwise I'd be VERY confused!

Strange thing happened. I was doing the mission Eavesdropping, and it ended after just 15 minutes...? WTF? Not sure what happened there...every other mission has been ~30 minutes up to this point. I wonder if I tapped a setting or something. I ended up starting the next mission, but of course it was full length, so finished halfway through. Sigh. 

This ended up messing with my times, etc. If it happens again, I just won't end the mission I think. Oh well, still fun!

Don't end the mission. Radio Mode is a delight. :D I used to be very adamant on making sure I end my runs around the same time as the mission ends but then thanks to some goings-on of Season 2 I started listening to Radio Mode Season 1 for when I do my strength training, and oh man, I wish I listened to it more when I was still in Season 1! Season 2 has gotten better for me now that I've reached a certain point (

Jack and Eugene are back thank god not that I hate Phil and Zoe but it just wasn't the same without my boys!

), but I'm admittedly still trying to use Radio Mode to entertain me during my strength training exercises if I'm at the gym instead of at home.

Hi Yorl,

I'm rurner farv arlso known as eighdeen ck. As you can terl, I arm from the same part of Armericur as Dr Myers whirch is why I harv this percurliar arccent

Poor Dr. Myers, I had no idea she was supposed to be American until I went to the Wiki. ;;;;;;; Her accent has gotten better??? Or maybe my ear is playing tricks on me. Audio illusions and all that. I still love Maxine but yeah. ;;;;;

I must say that my favorite character is Runner 5 (me). I go through hell and back, race past zombs, no matter what happens, I just run.  Run, just run.  How often do they say that?  Nearly every time.  I get a kick anytime I see something referenced by Sam, bridges, critters, streams, whatever.

Run. Just.... run.

I love that Runner 5 is basically a Big Damn Hero, which helps with the immersion factor in that I get the same feeling I get when I play video games, except better, because it's actually me and what my body can do and the app isn't judging you one way or the other for it. It's what makes the app so amazing. :)

• Like 2

Bias inducing... in a good way? :lol: Sam reminds me a LOT of Alistair from Dragon Age: Origins which is a big reason why I think I love him so much. It's almost a good thing their voices are dissimilar otherwise I'd be VERY confused!

The general premise of the walk is that a group called The Burn is working with another org to turn off all the power.  The Walker (me) is recruited to carry a piece of tech to somewhere while avoiding The Burn. I'm on episode 37 and the person who voices Sam voices a guy named Lawrence. He starts out all buddy-buddy with the walker but a few episodes ago it was revealed that he's been working for The Burn the eintire time.

I've placed one another voice to the Walk besides Sam, I think the Doc might be someone in it as well but haven't figured out who.

• Like 1

Amdheil, just wait until episode 39! It is absolutely amazing! You are going to freak when you find out, but it makes so much sense. Everything that has happened previously will make so much sense and it all falls into place. The episodes will only get better.

Archie and Charlie are the same, Runner 4 and Emma are also the same. I know that Paul and Stanton are in Zombies, Run! but I don't know who they are.

I have a question for anyone that can help. Do ya'll have any suggestions for some winter running clothes? Running inside is not an option for me, at all. And the clothes I've got will work for forty degrees and a little below, but I need something for colder weather. I also only have an Academy sports and outdoors store nearby. Any help will be hugely appreciated.

• Like 1

Amdheil, just wait until episode 39! It is absolutely amazing! You are going to freak when you find out, but it makes so much sense. Everything that has happened previously will make so much sense and it all falls into place. The episodes will only get better.

Archie and Charlie are the same, Runner 4 and Emma are also the same. I know that Paul and Stanton are in Zombies, Run! but I don't know who they are.

I have a question for anyone that can help. Do ya'll have any suggestions for some winter running clothes? Running inside is not an option for me, at all. And the clothes I've got will work for forty degrees and a little below, but I need something for colder weather. I also only have an Academy sports and outdoors store nearby. Any help will be hugely appreciated.

Gahhhh I can't wait! I'm sooo confused as to whats going on in The Walk, am I a good person or a bad person? I'm guessing that everything is happening b/c of what Charlie's dad and friends were up to but I want to know MORE!!! It is a pretty engrossing story line :D.

Re cold weather running, BFD reminded me to layer up. So the other day I did leggings and loose pants on the bottom then a tank top, long sleeved top, t-shirt and hoodie on top. It worked out well considering everything else I've tried ends up with me baking to death. I'm in Madison and it was somewhere in the 30's when I went on Sunday morning.

• Like 1

Ok I just started zombie 5k yesterday. Loved it! Looks like I am in the right place.

I am from the middle of the US, Kansas to be specific. I took up running 5 years ago and had worked up to half marathon length. I completed 4 half marathons then was plagued with injuries and apathy. I am now cured of both of those and ready to work my way back up. Just found a race next summer in the grand Tetons that looks great. Plenty of time to prepare.

I am loving the distraction of the zombies app. I will have to add favorites once I am further along in the story😊

• Like 2

Ok I just started zombie 5k yesterday. Loved it! Looks like I am in the right place.

I am from the middle of the US, Kansas to be specific. I took up running 5 years ago and had worked up to half marathon length. I completed 4 half marathons then was plagued with injuries and apathy. I am now cured of both of those and ready to work my way back up. Just found a race next summer in the grand Tetons that looks great. Plenty of time to prepare.

I am loving the distraction of the zombies app. I will have to add favorites once I am further along in the story

Welcome! I've added you and I think I found your challenge thread to add as well, let me know if it's incorrect! And that's great that you're getting back into running! Before this summer, the last time I was active was when I ran a full marathon and then right after that, apathy got the better of me and no more running for until a few months ago, so I've been there!! Is that race in the Grand Tetons a half?

Intended to do ZR on a 20:20:20 (that's 20 min on an ergo - a rowing machine - followed by 20 running and another 20 on an ergo) but when I got to the place there were dozens of sweaty dudes hogging the machines so I used it for a less runny workout. As it happens the episode ("scream and shout") didn't involve much running anyway so it wasn't too weirdly incongruous. The whole thing took place on a.... Well, no spoilers...

• Like 1

Finish ep 3 in the 5k app, managed to improve my pace even though I got stopped by a dude and his dog who snuck out of the house. Dog was kinda obsessed w/ me so I got him to where the owner could catch him and not even a thank you. Ah well such is the way of things sometimes.

I've got another quick question. There is a possibility that I now have a shin splint. Yeah! (voice dripping with sarcasm)

Has anybody dealt with this before? And can anyone tell me anything that you can about it, please?

Ah good old shin splints. Lots of fun, them. It's usually a tendon thing, caused by tight muscles.

They tend to show up when you're either starting running after a break, do too much too soon, have poor running form (often as a result of fatigue), have poor fitting shoes, or are running downhill.

There are a few ways to deal with them. The first is to foam roll and/or massage your calves. This should release some of the pressure on the tendons.

The second thing is uphill running, which forces your legs and feet into a good neutral position, and helps speed recovery (downhill has the opposite effect). Run up then walk down.

Third, try stretching your calves using calf dips. Stand on a step with your heels hanging off. Lower your heels down as low as you can, pause for a few seconds, then slowly raise up into your tippy toes. Repeat 10 times slowly.

Last, take a break. They will usually resolve themselves after a few days. If they occur on every run, try slowing down and/or reducing your mileage.

Phew! Hope this helps!

• Like 2

Collected a Radio

So I've logged my second run, and completed mission Listen In. Good run today, though it was very hot and sticky. Did 5.2km in 35:47. Still a long way from past glory, but a step in the right direction.

This was another of those short missions that ended at the 3km mark...I'm detecting a trend. No matter, as this time I had the Radio program downloaded, so got to be re-introduced to Eugene and Jack. All good.

How are you all tracking so far in Week 1?

• Like 2

I'm doing okay for Week 1. Listened to Season 2 Banditos while working on intervals the other day, and tomorrow is the next episode Ghost Town... there's a theme here, and I think I'm loving it. :lol:

Also torn about what to do for my strength days. I ran out of Season 1 Radio Mode, and I don't know if I want to save Season 2 Radio Mode for the end of missions or keep at it for my strength training. I mean, listening to just music while I lift is fine and all, but man, idkkkkk.

This was another of those short missions that ended at the 3km mark...I'm detecting a trend. 

If it's too short, maybe switch from Normal length to Long length? For a while I could only get less than 2 miles on Normal mode. Lately the estimate of "Normal = ~30 minutes" is more accurate, but yeah, for a while, Normal = ~20 minutes. ;;;;;;

• Like 2

Collected a Radio

So I've logged my second run, and completed mission Listen In. Good run today, though it was very hot and sticky. Did 5.2km in 35:47. Still a long way from past glory, but a step in the right direction.

This was another of those short missions that ended at the 3km mark...I'm detecting a trend. No matter, as this time I had the Radio program downloaded, so got to be re-introduced to Eugene and Jack. All good.

How are you all tracking so far in Week 1?

Hm, maybe your songs are shorter than mine, but I usually find it's good for 25-30 min. If you go to the settings you can find an item called "mission length" which you can use to space out the speech parts a bit so the mission as a whole lasts longer. Basically it means two songs between each instead of just one, but it might help when you've built your distances back up...?
  • Like 2