• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Xena

Seeking Renewal (Xena)

Illithid, also called mind-flayer.  Wants to either grab your head with its face-tentacles and eat out your brain or use its psionic powers to dominate your will and make you into a mindless thrall.  I don't know why mine were in the air -- probably just creepier that way.

Looks to be a solid first week, and good plans for what to do to make the next even better.

Gosh, it looked sort of cute all knitted up and everything...now, not so much. *Backs away and hisses* I don't have any brain cells to spare, thank you very much.

The weekly wrap: And Xena continues to rock it! Great week and glad you can get a little let up on the work schedule!

• Like 2

[sitting at computer, suddenly starving, possibly wanting to procrastinate]:

"I need a break. I could focus better if I had a coffee, and I'm starving. I'll go get a coffee and a danish. Oh wait, danish is really bad for me...I should eat those nuts. But I don't want nuts. I want something sweet.  JUST EAT THE NUTS! "

"...hmmm these are pretty good. and now I'm not starving"

Cravings are weird. I like the nuts, but I really never want to eat them. It's becoming easier not that it's a little more habitual.

I agree completely. Figuring out what works for you is key. I keep almonds in my car for when I need a snack between work and after-work activities. I will eat them when I'm hungry, but not as random snacks. I try to always keep an apple or carrots and rice cakes at work. If I want to eat pastries but not an apple, that feeling is temptation, not hunger. The rice cakes are emergency carbs for me. I won't touch them unless I'm starving and have nothing else to eat.

One thing that made losing weight easier for me was eating differently for breakfast. I wanted to say eating more for breakfast but that is not quite true. I switched from a bowl of cereal with milk to a bowl of soup. Sometimes a bowl of soup and a piece of toast. The idea is to get 1/3 of my daily protein at breakfast. In practice this means that breakfast has more protein and less carbs that it used to. I don't know about calories. The effect is that I don't get hungry at 10. I usually get hungry sometime after 11, which is just about right. I can exercise at 12 and eat lunch at 1 without feeling like I'm going to kill and eat something.

I like the stretching description. I have tight hamstrings too. Maybe doing a set of stretches will help.

...and I did a little research on calorie needs. I looked up several counters and it looks like I need a little over 2000/day for maintenance (depending on activity level). I'm not planning to track calories every day, but I would like to sort of spot check to get an idea of what I'm eating. If I stay around 1800 (and keep up activity), I should lose slowly. (3500 calories per pound...so with a 300 calorie deficit, I would lose a little over half a pound per week...that's my goal). As best I can figure out, I had about 1960 today, and my plan for tomorrow puts me around 1800. Now that I did the math, I can see why it helps to cut out things like butter!!

Yep. I understand exactly how this works. The sticky part for me is figuring out calories in my food. Good for you for doing the math. I agree that avoiding those Kit-kats and bad brownie bites is an easy way to cut excess calories.

I agree completely. Figuring out what works for you is key. I keep almonds in my car for when I need a snack between work and after-work activities. I will eat them when I'm hungry, but not as random snacks. I try to always keep an apple or carrots and rice cakes at work. If I want to eat pastries but not an apple, that feeling is temptation, not hunger. The rice cakes are emergency carbs for me. I won't touch them unless I'm starving and have nothing else to eat.

One thing that made losing weight easier for me was eating differently for breakfast. I wanted to say eating more for breakfast but that is not quite true. I switched from a bowl of cereal with milk to a bowl of soup. Sometimes a bowl of soup and a piece of toast. The idea is to get 1/3 of my daily protein at breakfast. In practice this means that breakfast has more protein and less carbs that it used to. I don't know about calories. The effect is that I don't get hungry at 10. I usually get hungry sometime after 11, which is just about right. I can exercise at 12 and eat lunch at 1 without feeling like I'm going to kill and eat something.

I like the stretching description. I have tight hamstrings too. Maybe doing a set of stretches will help.

Yep. I understand exactly how this works. The sticky part for me is figuring out calories in my food. Good for you for doing the math. I agree that avoiding those Kit-kats and bad brownie bites is an easy way to cut excess calories.

We definitely have a lot of the same ideas. I've been eating pretty much the same thing for breakfast for years (yogurt with fruit and almonds, whole wheat english muffin with smart balance spread...sometimes I try subbing in cottage cheese or eggs or smoothies...but this is what I eat 90% of the time). It fills me up until mid-morning and has a decent but not huge amount of protein (20 g). I've thought for years that breakfast is the one meal I really don't have to mess with. It's on autopilot. But now I'm wondering it comes out to 520 calories and I usually have to eat 200 cal of nuts mid-morning to pull myself through to lunch. Eggs would be more filling, but I can't always handle them first thing in the morning. Anyway...now at least I know what I'm working with so it's a more educated decision.

I'm not planning to do a ton of calorie counting. It's just interesting to see how things add up. And the past couple days were easy. I ate pretty basic foods that I cooked myself.

I'll post some more stretches next week. Probably some lunge variations. I'll probably have some new ideas after this weekend too.

--------------------

Today was pretty great. I turned in two big projects and will finish a third tomorrow. It was a big crunch of deadlines, that I'm pretty much past now.

Got up on time, did one more round of Day 3 of the fighter's codex and then did a bit of yoga. Finished my chores before heading out. Picked up a birthday cake for a friend on the way in. Substituted out one planned snack for a small piece of cake and a few sips of champagne. Did really well on eating today, I think.

After work, the weather looked pretty darned sketchy, but I thought it would be fun to convince my friend to go out running with me anyway. We headed out in pitch dark (on a safe bikepath) in the wind and drizzle (with more rain coming). After about 5 minutes, it was raining harder and we thought about going back. After about 9 minutes, it was pouring and I had stumbled over 2 tree branches and thought it wasn't really smart to be out anymore. We turned around and were completely drenched by the time we got back. Only 1.5 miles, but fun and adventurous. To keep it from being a "wash" we decided to do "Ab Ripper" from P90X (I've done this with my friend and her husband a few times before, but it's been over a year). It was so much fun to work out with them. They're really good friends and I just like that someone else would want to do this. Weird to get nostalgic over Ab Ripper! I'm going to take some liberty with my goals and count this either toward "running" or "gym" depending on where I need it. I'm going to be doing some traveling this week, so it might be hard to meet my goals otherwise...and I tried hard on this one.

I heard back from the trainer, and we're going to meet next Tuesday! I'm kind of nervous, but excited.

I also did some writing today, making up time from my "Dream" goal for last week. I'm going to cut myself a little slack on that one because it's something very new I'm trying and because I had work overload last weekend. I'm hoping eventually to write some kind of novel. I really enjoy writing, but I've never put together a complete and coherent story line, I'm not sure if I'll get there, but for now, I'll just try to set aside some time for writing and see where it takes me.

Sorry so long...if you read the whole post, you are probably thinking this:

old_age_quote_4.jpg

• Like 6

two wins so far today.

1. Dragged myself outside for 3 mile run before work (not my favorite time to run, but my only chance for today)

2. Only stopped for a picture of the free food.

2v3inwz.jpg

• Like 5

I see that your work is full of temptation, just like mine. Good for you for fitting in the running before work. And for getting your big projects turned in.

• Like 1

two wins so far today.

1. Dragged myself outside for 3 mile run before work (not my favorite time to run, but my only chance for today)

2. Only stopped for a picture of the free food.

Nicely done! I often resort to running in the morning. I have less energy than later in the day (or maybe I'm just not awake), but otherwise running would happen a lot less. Kudos to you for planning ahead and dragging yourself outside to get it done!

• Like 1

Weird to get nostalgic over Ab Ripper! 

Although I have never experienced the Rip that is Ab Ripper, it seems like a worthy nostalgia.  Killing it per usual, awesome stuff!

soooooo how did it go with the trainer

not till next Tuesday...I know, I can't wait either.

Although I have never experienced the Rip that is Ab Ripper, it seems like a worthy nostalgia.  Killing it per usual, awesome stuff!

You are truly missing out my friend :-)  Thanks for the support!

------------------

Last night headed up to the big city for a sort of belated birthday celebration. Out to a bar for dinner and trivia. Didn't eat great, but moderated over what I would normally do.

Headed back home and to work this morning. Stopped at Dunkin' Donuts for breakfast. Had a breakfast sandwich with turkey sausage. Again, way better than what I would normally get. After work, was in charge of the track practice again. Did a little over 5 miles, most of it as speed intervals. Was too cold to really do yoga afterward, but to make it a little more fun, I borrowed a little inspiration from the November Project and convinced the group to do a couple of G-rated audibles. I wasn't sure people would go for it, but they did :-)

Excited because tomorrow I get to pack for my yoga weekend.

• Like 3

not till next Tuesday...I know, I can't wait either.

You are truly missing out my friend :-)  Thanks for the support!

------------------

Last night headed up to the big city for a sort of belated birthday celebration. Out to a bar for dinner and trivia. Didn't eat great, but moderated over what I would normally do.

Headed back home and to work this morning. Stopped at Dunkin' Donuts for breakfast. Had a breakfast sandwich with turkey sausage. Again, way better than what I would normally get. After work, was in charge of the track practice again. Did a little over 5 miles, most of it as speed intervals. Was too cold to really do yoga afterward, but to make it a little more fun, I borrowed a little inspiration from the November Project and convinced the group to do a couple of G-rated audibles. I wasn't sure people would go for it, but they did :-)

Excited because tomorrow I get to pack for my yoga weekend.

Good for you. i like that you moderated your birthday indulgence, and made better-than-usual choices someplace that is NOT EASY TO DO. (oh fried dough, why can't I quit you?)

I'm interested in the November project - I just checked it out. By "audibles", do you mean those military-like song/chants to sing while running? or like someone carrying a boombox with tunes or an audiobook?

oh. my.

COMBINATION RUNNING AND BOOK CLUB!!!!!

squee_i_can_believe_in_by_officer_rabbit

• Like 1

The NP audibles are much more simple (I only went once, so I'm no expert**). I don't know if it's always exactly the same, but basically the leaders call out a question (I don't remember what...something like "Are you ready for this??") and the answer, is pretty much always (as far as I can tell) "F*CK YEAH!"

I had to modify it to "Heck yeah" the first time (lots of kids on the track). The second time I turned it into (on the count of 3) "BRING IT!"

Just felt kind of fun to yell something.

** If AgentSka reads this, he can describe better...

• Like 3

The NP audibles are much more simple (I only went once, so I'm no expert**). I don't know if it's always exactly the same, but basically the leaders call out a question (I don't remember what...something like "Are you ready for this??") and the answer, is pretty much always (as far as I can tell) "F*CK YEAH!"

I had to modify it to "Heck yeah" the first time (lots of kids on the track). The second time I turned it into (on the count of 3) "BRING IT!"

If i ever get a group of runners, I'm teaching them "All the Little Angels" in the hopes of making Terry Pratchett fans tear up a little.

• Like 3

Great job on the sprints!  :) It has been super cold everywhere lately, it makes stretchy yoga things so hard, I have been slacking on it as well.

Yesterday some yoga in the morning. Felt really good to stretch after track the might before. After work did some lifting at the gym. It wasn't the best session. Partly because I got sidetracked talking to a few people (the first one was ok because my friend showed me some new exercises on the TRX, but the rest of it was kind of just distracting). It wasn't the best session ever, maybe partly because I made a new list for myself that might not have been ideal, maybe because the gym was oddly crowded. There weren't even that many people there, but they seemed to always be using whatever I wanted, so I ended up doing my sets in a really weird order. Also annoyed when people just leave dumbbells next to (or even on) a bench while they are doing circuits. Makes it unclear whether it's ok to jump onto the bench for a set or not. And just kind of rude when it's crowded (guessing they got into the habit because it's not usually crowded).

Leaving for yoga retreat this afternoon. Probably won't be online much over the weekend. After I get back, I'm going to kick up my running a bit. For one thing, I think I need to try adding a bit of cardio to my lifting days, even if it's only 15 min. I tried to do a good workout yesterday, but I just didn't feel like it added up to enough.

• Like 2

Heh.  If I read this, huh....

It is part of our morning routine.  Amidst a bunch of other ridiculousness that happens, the leaders will typically yell out "Good Morning!"  To which, the group replies "GOOD MORNING!"

The next question and answer is important to get your head straight.  Keep in mind, we are meeting at 6:30am.  Often times, the weather isn't great.  It can be cold, wet, dry.  It doesn't matter.  We meet.  The concept is no one is a morning person.  Everyone struggles with turning off their alarm and convincing themselves to leave the coziness of their bed to go work out.  Everyone.  

And, so the question they ask is "Are you all good!?"

And, there is only acceptable answer.  There is no room for whining or negativity.  And, you can't scream the following without embracing the moment and getting ready to attack the workout.  The only acceptable answer is a resounding "Fuck Yeah!"

(When in the stadium and that echoes back... it's freaking awesome.)

For the curious... 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_3REVDgFT4

• Like 1