LeadVonE wakes up

All along his body, cold damp floor. Hard. 

Aching, the man slowly raised his head, greasy hair falling across his face, eyes pained by the single shaft of light that pierced his darkness.

"Ugrhhhhh"

Every muscle felt weak. He couldn't even move his arms.

"Nyyyyygggggghh"

His arms were in chains. Chains attached to a wall. Another wall was in front of him and two more to his sides, completing the encirclement. The room was empty, save these chains and himself.

"himself?"

A clang shot through his still aching ears. A small window had opened in the nearest wall and a bowl shoved through it. The man looked down at the small mound of rice and beans, white and plain, without smell or heat, but calling to his empty stomach like an old love rekindled. He didn't know what was going on, but he did know one thing. He needed to eat.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quick Links

Challenge loghttp://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/56084-leadvone-wakes-up/?p=1273109

Challenge workout list and philosophyhttp://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/56084-leadvone-wakes-up/?p=1282775

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello all!

I know the rules suggest not too much character development in level one, so I do hope you'll forgive my inability to control myself. :)

My name is James, (char name LeadVonE)

Here's my main quest: 3kg of muscle gain, currently at 65kg, so target is 68kg (I'm 180cm tall, defiantly elf).

My three smart goals are:

1. Do some form of exercise (I have a menu) 6 days a week (Wednesday is my rest day because I have an "early start", the other days I don't start work until 10:30am).

2. Eat at least three square meals a day, between 2,750 and 3,000 calories. This may not seem like much but for me it's a big deal.

3. Eat a cup of vegetables every day (again may not seem like much but trust me).

Chief motivation: I need to write my own story and this is the story I want.

Ideal weight: 78kg | starting weight: 63.8kg

LeadVonE - Level 1 Warrior

Past challenges: 1 2 3 4

Hi Araene!

Glad you like it. I've no idea if this is going to go anywhere. I'll probably update the story less frequently than the details of the challenge (since that's what I really need to focus on :) ).

- James

i love your intro story (and a little of bending the rules can be overlooked ;)).  As for muscle gain, you could also add some freeweight strengths to your workout routine.

You might notice that I've added tags onto your thread.  This is not to pigeonhole you into a specific guild, but rather to attract the attention of the guild ambassadors because of your lifestyle or a grouping of goals, so that they might be able to motivate, encourage and advise you of anything during your challenge with us.  You don't even need to wait for them, you're welcome to pop into the Adventurers to say hi and introduce yourself and to see what they're about. Also you are more than welcome to drop me a line at any time if you need anything.

Good luck

AB xx

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

Hi Blaidd!

Thanks and good to know :)

As for my intended future profession.... I suspect I'll be heading over to the rangers guild once I've graduated from the starter zone. I do use free weights in my training :D. Pretty much just carrying on a program I've been working on for the last couple of weeks. If I can keep it consistent for another six weeks I'll be in a much better position than ever before.

- James

OOC challenge log*:

Day one: "Mad Bomber" for 14kg - https://www.fitocracy.com/entry/36489066/  | Meals: 3  | Vegetables: YES

Day two: "Chillwind Yeti" for 16kg - https://www.fitocracy.com/entry/36511108/ | Meals: 3  | Vegetables: YES

Day three: Rest day | Meals: 3 | Vegetables: YES

Day four: "SecretKeeper" for 7kg - https://www.fitocracy.com/entry/36552512/ | Meals: 3 | Vegetables: NO

Day five: "Abusive Sergeant" for 7kg - https://www.fitocracy.com/entry/36571436/ | Meals: 3 | Vegetables: HALF

Day six: "Undertaker" for 7kg - https://www.fitocracy.com/entry/36588166/ | Meals: 3 (and a bunch of snacks) | Vegetables: YES

Day seven: "Mad Bomber" for 14kg - https://www.fitocracy.com/entry/36601782/ | Meals: 3 | Vegetables: HALF

End of week weigh in: 65.4kg - Weight put on: 0.4kg

Day eight: MISSED | Meals: 3 | Vegetables: NO

Day nine: "Chillwind Yeti" for 16kg - https://www.fitocracy.com/entry/36644064/| Meals: 3 | Vegetables: YES

Day ten: "Lightwarden" for 20kg - https://www.fitocracy.com/entry/36660630/ | Meals: 3.5 | Vegetables: YES

Day eleven: "Zombie Chow" for 30kg - https://www.fitocracy.com/entry/36677123/ | Meals: 3 | Vegetables: YES

Day twelve: "SecretKeeper" for 7kg - https://www.fitocracy.com/entry/36695847/ | Meals: 3 | Vegetables: YES

Day thirteen: "Abusive Sergeant" for 7kg - https://www.fitocracy.com/entry/36711565/ | Meals: 3 | Vegetables: NO

Day fourteen: MISSED | Meals: 3 | Vegetables: HALF

End of week weigh in: 65.7kg - Weight put on: 0.3kg

Day fifteen: "Mad Bomber" for 16kg - https://www.fitocracy.com/entry/36739998/ | Meals: 4 | Vegetables: HALF

Day sixteen: "Amani Berserker" for 12kg - https://www.fitocracy.com/entry/36758685/ | Meals: 3.5 | Vegetables: NO

Day seventeen: Rest day | Meals: 2.5 | Vegetables: NO

Day eighteen: MISSED | Meals: 3 | Vegetables: NO

Day nineteen: Chillwind Yeti" for 20kg - https://www.fitocracy.com/entry/36806629/ | Meals: 3 | Vegetables: YESx2

Day twenty: MISSED | Meals: 3 | Vegetables: YES

Day twenty-one: MISSED | Meals: 4 | Vegetables: YES

End of week weigh in: 65.9kg - Weight put on: 0.2kg

Day twenty-two: MISSED | Meals: | Vegetables: 

Day twenty-three: MISSED

Day twenty-four: MISSED

Day forty: 

---------------------------------------------------------------------

*I'm not holding myself to updating this log everyday but I am holding myself to having a record for each day

• Like 1

Awesome story, it's fun to have a bit of creativity in your challenge I think! 

I really like your goals, I always think the small changes can have such a big affect, so good luck with everything.

I am King Leeroy a Adventurer Ambassador, if you have any questions don't hesitate to drop me a line on my challenge page or in a PM if you have any questions about anything! Here is my current challenge and some wee tips for using the forum on this tutorial.

Be More Ninja

Current Challenge

Instagram

Hello KingLeeroy! (Nothing to do with WoW by any chance?)

Thanks for the links! Not sure if I'm going to join the adventurers guild or if I may join a different guild once this is over (assuming I've earned it ofc). I do enjoy a bit of everything and experimentation, its true.

Also want to get ripped as duck.....well.... maybe not quite :)

Hahaha, LEEROY JENKINSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSs.

No it isn't actully! I like it when folks ask me that though :) especially when people quote it at me in real life, only a few people call me Leeroy in real life though because of drummers.

Haha, I am glad you like the ripped as duck!

How is your week going so far?

Be More Ninja

Current Challenge

Instagram

Neat intro! I would love to hear more about the types of exercise you are doing throughout the challenge. Best of luck!

Hi RxLady!

Sure! The exercises I'm doing are designed to optimise just one thing. My appetite.

The biggest problem I've had with fitness and putting on weight is eating enough so I've built my program around that.

This means a few things:

Firstly, I need to exercise every day. I know best practice states something like three times a week for weight lifting but exercise makes me hungry and from experience taking even a day off from lifting drastically lowers my appetite. Once I don't eat enough I feel I don't have enough energy to exercise or I feel I'm not getting anything from it (muscle is made in the kitchen etc.) so my motivation to exercise flags and a viscous cycle of inaction starts.

Secondly, I need to include many different types of exercise. Partly because of the need to get certain types of muscles a rest and partly because I tend to get bored easily, I include both mid rep range mid weight exercises (hypotrophy), lower weight high and fast reps (endurance and/or twitch), and HIT or METCON like workouts.

Thirdly, I need to do these in the morning before work, in my apartment, and by myself. This means low times (25-35min) and simple equipment (dumbbells and lowish weight barbell). So, no massive weighted squats or bench press since I don't have the equipment to do these movements safely without a spotter. This kinda sucks but its a reality I'm working with at the moment. Doing them first thing in the morning ensures I'm hungry for breakfast, which is the meal I'm most prone to miss if I don't work out.

Fourthly, I use a lot of will power throughout the day on lots of things and I need to conserve it as much as possible. Therefore, I have a menu of workouts that require the least amount of thought in setup and execution. During most workouts I use a workout timer that buzzes on the minute, every minute.

All my workouts are named after Hearthstone cards (also note I'm creating new workouts as I go - I know I'm missing many key movements / combinations)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Challenge Workout List (updated as I add new workouts)

Hypotrophy workouts - Focus on good form and weight progression (6-8-10-12 reps). three sets for each movement, 60-120 seconds rest between sets (depending on when you finish the last set according to the on-the-minute buzzer). All exercises are performed at the same weight (or x2 if barbell) and progression happens only once all movements have cleared the necessary rep number. That the workouts do not focus on a single set of muscles like legs, arms, back etc, is by design.

Mad Bomber:

Barbell tricep extension

Dumbbell lunges

Barbell bent-over-row

SecretKeeper:

Dumbbell flyers

Standing dumbbell upright row

Arnold dumbbell press

Abusive Sergeant:

Dumbbell bicep curl

One hand dumbbell row

Dumbbell step ups

Twitch/HIT workouts - Full power for a set period of time followed by a rest for a set period.

Chillwind Yeti:

Barbell clean and press for X weight

Dumbbell bench press for 0.5X weight

Barbell Front squat for X weight

Barbell Deadlift for 1.5X weight

(All for 60 seconds then 60 seconds rest, three sets of each)

Undertaker:

Dumbbell clean and press tabata

(Eight sets of 20 seconds at full intensity followed by 10 seconds of rest)

Benchmark workouts - Perform once every two weeks to help gauge progress

Angry Chicken:

Push-ups

Sit-ups

Body weight squats

(One set to failure each)

Strength workouts - 5x5 with 2-5 minutes rest between sets depending on how difficult the previous set was.

Lightwarden:

Barbell shoulder press

Dead lift

Zombie Chow:

Dumbbell bench press

barbell row

• Like 1

Holy cow! You really have your stuff together. :) great plan!

Well, here's hoping :)

I actually missed yesterday and almost missed today  :numbness:. Work threw me a fast one and I failed my will check.

Thanks for the post! It hit me just when I needed it!

End of week two update!

This week I gained 0.3 kilos while not missing a single meal. Not enough! I shouldn't need many more calories to push myself to where I need to be though.

I'm thinking about adding one more small meal to the day. Maybe right when I wake up but before I work out....

I currently don't have any legumes or fish in my diet so I'm thinking baked beans and tuna on toast. 1/2 can of baked beans, 1/3 can of tuna, and 2 slices of bread... should add another 300-400 calories. Quick and dirty.

Missed today's official workout :( Was fretting over a term paper, which, in my defence, is due tomorrow and was far from complete. The good news is I cracked the back of it today so I should be back to my schedule tomorrow!

Onwards!

OH I haven't been on Fitocracy for ages, I login occasionally, but since I started doing more challenge stuff I find I use it less and less, send me an add though will accept when I login next!

Hey the is still weight gain you are aiming for, you will get there eventually!

It sounds like you could do with the extra energy just before your workout, I try to have a couple of boiled eggs or a protein shake.

Tuna sounds pretty good, I create  tuna burgers sometimes as well, get a tin, mix an egg in, shape and fry off. It is a bit messy but it takes less than 5 mins mins to make. It roughly makes a snack that is like 40g of protein. You can make them fancy with spices and herbs and things, but they can be quick and dirty as well!

Be More Ninja

Current Challenge

Instagram

Agh, massive fail over the last few days.

Yesterday was rest day so fair enough but I didn't eat breakfast, which put me behind on food for the rest of the day.

Today was total waste though. Didn't exercise in the morning, and didn't eat breakfast until now: 4:00pm. At this point I'm remembering a quote from the author of the ZONE diet... "No matter what you've been eating recently, you're always only one meal away from the zone."

In other words, I fell off the wagon... time to get back on it.

- James

So I've been having problems with getting my all my vegetables as I need. The major problem has been the main meal I eat my veggies with is dinner, brown rice with carrot and fried egg, and a serving of broccoli on the side. But occasionally I don't prepare this meal, I eat out, or I don't have the time to prepare so I make something quicker.

The main vitamins I need out of this are vitamins A, from the carrot, and vitamin K, from the broccoli.

However, both these vitamins are fat soluble, which means they accumulate in the body. This means I don't necessarily need them every day so long as I eat one portion of each on average a day over time.

With this in mind, I'm now eating 100g of broccoli with my dinner up from 50g. The carrot is fine as is since I was already eating three times the amount I actually needed. I'm pretty confident I'll be able to make my rice dinner at least every other day.

My new goal is to eat at least seven portions of vegetables a week.

Forward!

---------------

OH I haven't been on Fitocracy for ages, I login occasionally, but since I started doing more challenge stuff I find I use it less and less, send me an add though will accept when I login next!

Hey the is still weight gain you are aiming for, you will get there eventually!

It sounds like you could do with the extra energy just before your workout, I try to have a couple of boiled eggs or a protein shake.

Tuna sounds pretty good, I create  tuna burgers sometimes as well, get a tin, mix an egg in, shape and fry off. It is a bit messy but it takes less than 5 mins mins to make. It roughly makes a snack that is like 40g of protein. You can make them fancy with spices and herbs and things, but they can be quick and dirty as well!

These sound good! Spices and herbs are defiantly part of my quick and dirty :)

I'll post a pic the first time I try it!

Oh, and I've sent an add!

OK,

So this challenge has been a loss. 

The last three weeks has been a continual dance of sickness and illness.

But, three days before the challenge ends, I'm feeling well enough to start training again!

So, I start my training and eating again and ready myself for the next level one challenge in a few weeks.

I will conquer level one!