Hi, my name is Lee and I started my quest back towards long term health on May 12, 2014 when I realized that I needed to reform a lot of aspects of my life to be the father I wanted to be. Since then I've started eating paleo, commuting via bike, playing Ultimate Frisbee consistently again, disc golfing when I can, and spending more time hiking and taking our dog for walks. I've lost 50 lbs, put on some muscle, improved my athletic performance, and feel better than I ever have. You can read more details on my past if you wish; I'm pretty sure that's not really violating the spirit of Rule 1. I've been reading all of the blog posts here since then, a lot of old ones, and some forum posts, but am ready to get more involved. I actually would have done the last challenge but my daughter was born the day it started and I was a bit preoccupied.

Main Quest:

Dropping another 10 lbs of fat while adding more muscle

90%
90%

I really have no way to measure this, but I'm down 6 pounds and have some measurable strength gains and visual muscle gains, so presumably some additional muscle. Let's call it 90%

Stat boost totals: 2 Cha, 3 Con, 2 Dex, 3 Sta, 3 Str, 1 Wis

Goal 1:

Improve mile time - Deciding to work Mark Sisson's 1 mile challenge in as a goal here. I basically hate running unless I'm aiming to catch a frisbee at the end of that run, but going to use it as a measurement. Week one will actually be doing a 1 mile run a couple times to establish a baseline, then I'll do another timed run each week. Aiming to shave about 10% off, though no idea if that's a realistic number.

100%
100%
Down from 8 minutes to 6:51

Stats granted1 Dex, 2 Sta, 1 Str

Goal 2: 

Move some distance every day - This is actually kind of funny because currently I commute via bike except if I'm going to play Ultimate that day (and drive there right from work), but the challenge to my willpower will be continuing to move every day after I start my new job in 2 weeks, working from home where nothing is making me get out and move. Hopefully these 6 weeks will make that habit stick. I imagine my dog  will be thrilled by the idea.

100%
100%

Didn't miss a day

Stats granted2 Con, 1 Sta

Goal 3:

10 pull-ups. I'm up to 4 now, having plateaued for quite a while now due to falling out of the habit of my 2-3 times a week NF Advanced Bodyweight workout when my daughter was born and I was just too exhausted to even think about working out for a long time.

100%
100%
Made it to 10
Stats granted1 Cha, 1 Dex, 2 Str

Life Quest:

Manage chronic stress better. I'm already quitting my job for a much better one that will definitely make me a happier person and cut down on my biggest source of stress. The new job will be a lot of work too, but it will be work towards a goal that matters to me and with the ability to solve the problems I face. Along with that I plan to actually take time to relax, get back to reading again, and cut back on caffeine.

Stats granted: 1 Cha, 1 Wis, 1 Con

Motivation:

2014-10-29-150x150.jpg2014-10-26-150x150.jpg

• Like 3

Level 4 Lycan Warrior

Challenges: 4-Warrior, 3-Assassin, 2-Adventurer, 1-Recruit

Battlelog

Go ahead and laugh all you want to, I got my philosophy and I trust it like the ground. That's why my philosophy keeps me walking when I'm falling down -Ben Fold's Five "Philosophy"

She's beautiful and you've done amazingly since your journey started.

You might notice that I've added tags onto your thread.  This is not to pigeonhole you into a specific guild, but rather to attract the attention of the guild ambassadors because of your lifestyle or a grouping of goals, so that they might be able to motivate, encourage and advise you of anything during your challenge with us.  You don't even need to wait for them, you're welcome to pop into the Scouts to say hi and introduce yourself and to see what they're about. Also you are more than welcome to drop me a line at any time if you need anything.

Good luck

AB xx

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

My long term plan is to do 1 challenge themed for each guild after my intro challenge with a main quest, subquests, life quest, and stat boosts all themed around the ideals of that guild. I actually have gotten more and more excited about this 1 challenge with each guild idea and have some long term plans around it that I think will make a cool community idea and be a sweet use of the every guild logo (something like a special feature to allow you to sport the every guild logo in your signature if you've done the "every guild meta-challenge" achievement). I know you can't normally put images in your signature, and a chaos of signature images really mars the look of a forum, but I think this would be a lot different and is certainly doable from the technical end.

For my intro challenge here are the numbers I'm thinking, assuming full completion of each goal. 14 points total as per stat point post. If i fall short, I'll knock off a point here or there, but I don't think that's a big concern for this challenge.

Main Quest: improve body comp

Quest 1:  Mile time

1 Dex, 2 Sta, 1 Str

Quest 2: move every day

2 Con, 1 Sta

Quest 3: 

1 Cha, 1 Dex, 2 Str

Life Quest:

1 Cha, 1 Wis, 1 Con

Adding this to my original post.

Level 4 Lycan Warrior

Battlelog

Go ahead and laugh all you want to, I got my philosophy and I trust it like the ground. That's why my philosophy keeps me walking when I'm falling down -Ben Fold's Five "Philosophy"

Improve mile time - Deciding to work Mark Sisson's 1 mile challenge in as a goal here. I basically hate running unless I'm aiming to catch a frisbee at the end of that run, but going to use it as a measurement. Week one will actually be doing a 1 mile run a couple times to establish a baseline, then I'll do another timed run each week. Aiming to shave about 10% off, though no idea if that's a realistic number

Hi! I've never seen that challenge before! I may end up doing this just for fun - my mile time is woefully long (between 10:40:00 and 12:00:00 depending on how I'm feeling that day), and it would be awesome to get faster. :) I think that shaving 10% isn't an unrealistic goal, but it is definitely a challenging one! And you never know unless you try.

Your kiddo is absolutely adorable. :)

Good luck! I'm cheering for you!

CHALLENGES: CURRENT111098765432, 1

📷 📚

Hi! I've never seen that challenge before! I may end up doing this just for fun - my mile time is woefully long (between 10:40:00 and 12:00:00 depending on how I'm feeling that day), and it would be awesome to get faster. :) I think that shaving 10% isn't an unrealistic goal, but it is definitely a challenging one! And you never know unless you try.

Your kiddo is absolutely adorable. :)

Good luck! I'm cheering for you!

Yeah, Mark posted it a week or two ago, and it also got picked up and reposted by a few other sites including Nom Nom Paleo. I really don't like distance running but a mile should be short enough to not bore me and provide a good overall testing point to evaluate my fitness. I don't think I've done a timed mile in about 11 years and don't remember what time I was doing then. Even after this challenge I'm planning to run a mile every month or two and see how various training things that aren't distance running affect it over time. I admire people like you, and a lot of my friends that enjoy distance running, but it's definitely not for me.

Level 4 Lycan Warrior

Battlelog

Yeah, Mark posted it a week or two ago, and it also got picked up and reposted by a few other sites including Nom Nom Paleo. I really don't like distance running but a mile should be short enough to not bore me and provide a good overall testing point to evaluate my fitness. I don't think I've done a timed mile in about 11 years and don't remember what time I was doing then. Even after this challenge I'm planning to run a mile every month or two and see how various training things that aren't distance running affect it over time. I admire people like you, and a lot of my friends that enjoy distance running, but it's definitely not for me.

That's awesome. And yeah, a mile is a pretty good length. A few months ago, even that was terribly difficult for me. I'm sure you'll do awesome with it! But yeah, running is that thing that you either love or hate. Or, in my case, love-hate. I wouldn't say I enjoy it, but I do enjoy the calorie burn and knowledge that I could probably outrun the zombie apocalypse for 3.1 miles. After that, though? I'd be zombie food.

📷 📚

Hi there!!

I’m Chris-Tien Jinn, an ambassador for the Assassin Guild.  With that pullup goal, you might find that you fit in with the Assassins.  So, check out the Scouts, certainly, but consider joining up with us at the end of this challenge!!

For more information about the guild, stop by the Info & Announcements thread.  The Assassin's Phonebook lists the names of people who are working on various aspects of fitness and life changes.  This is a great place to connect with someone who is working on goals similar to yours.  Don't be shy about following them or sending a message if you have questions!!!

The assassins are a friendly and supportive guild.  Stop by the Assassin's Den – a general chat thread in the guild forum – and introduce yourself.  You can always ask questions there!!

If you ever have any questions or need help with anything, let me know.  You can grab my attention by using the quote button at the bottom right corner of any of my posts.  I have the forum setting turned on to alert me when somebody quotes me using that button, so it's a quick easy way to let me know you're talking to me. You can also get in touch with me by posting on my own challenge topic or by using the forum private messenger system (the envelope button at the very top right of the screen).

Someone from the Assassin's Guild will stop by every week to check on your progress, but don't be a stranger!!  The most successful people around here reach out and get support from others - novices and veterans alike!  A great place to meet up with other (new/prospective) Assassins is in the Assassin Initiates Accountabilities Group - stop by when you have a chance!!

I hear ya on the challenges of working from home!!!!  I could turn into a hermit easily if I didn't make myself get out to run and go to the gym!! 

Some sort of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Walk to Mordor Spreadsheet

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43

"No, I'm from Iowa.  I only work in outer space." -- James T. Kirk

Hi there!!

I’m Chris-Tien Jinn, an ambassador for the Assassin Guild.  With that pullup goal, you might find that you fit in with the Assassins.  So, check out the Scouts, certainly, but consider joining up with us at the end of this challenge!!

Thanks. I think my plan is to do one challenge with each guild first, though I may change my mind on that and the Assassins are definitely one of the guilds I think could be a good long term fit for me. For instance when I do my assassin challenge I'll focus on doing the PLP60 challenge, rock climbing (there's a lot of that around here and all), and maybe some fairly easy parkour stuff. For my druid challenge I'll do a yoga class, stretch more, and probably a life quest to do some meditation. I'm hoping that by trying different themes like that, I'll learn a little from each that I can carry with me along with learning what things interest me the most.

I actually just posted a pretty assassin question over in the bodyweight training section about how best to train to increase myself from 4 to 10 pull-ups. There seem to be tons of very contradictory opinions.

• Like 1

Level 4 Lycan Warrior

Battlelog

Well, bodyweight exercises that are all or nothing in terms of weight/resistance (pullups, handstand pushups) ARE tough.   

When you hit a plateau in number reps at training (whole body) weight, normally, you'd drop a few pounds of resistance (5 or 10 if doing free weights .... 2.5 or 3 for dumbbells) and do a lot of reps to build up your muscles ... and then in a week or two (or more ...) you get over the plateau and can increase the number of reps at your full weight.  But when you're moving your whole body, it's tough to drop a couple of pounds .... what are you going to do, detach a foot???  (Ok, zombies might be able to do it, but the rest of us are stuck.)  So, there are different strategies, including:

• related exercises (like lat pulldowns)
  • doing the "easier" part of the exercise (negatives or let downs)
  • reducing the weight you are lifting (using bands or a machine to assist)

I haven't looked, but I'm pretty sure the suggestions fall into these categories.  And I think all of them work - solo or in combination.  You simply need to get as far as you can with your pullups as you're doing them .... and then you make your body do more, related muscle work, so that it is pushed in a small, additional fraction of work.  But it is still pushed beyond what you can currently do so that it has to grow muscles to compensate.  The closer you are to the actual movement, the better ... but what you do will mostly be limited by what equipment you have at hand. 

Make sense?

• Like 1

Some sort of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43

Make sense?

Yeah, my issue isn't really a plateau (well i had, but that's because I hadn't been working out consistently for a while) it is mostly that I wasn't sure whether I'd get better gains from trying to do a bunch of pull-ups throughout the day, every day, or just do them in the course of a work out every other day, or what. I think I'm going to give the armstrong pull-up program a try and sort of build the rest of my workout plan fitting around that.

Ok, so official check-in at the start here:

186 lbs this morning

2014-11-10-front.jpg2014-11-10-side.jpg

I'll update with my mile times the 3 times i'm going to run it this week when I do it (not today) and then my new time each week. I'll be posting in my battlelog each day and here each week.

• Like 1

Level 4 Lycan Warrior

Battlelog

Week 1 mini quest: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/56359-campus-tour-aka-mini-dungeons-please-follow/?p=1276599

Blaidd, on 10 Nov 2014 - 04:52 AM, said:snapback.png

Here are some questions to put your goals to the test:

1. Is your overall quest achievable (over a short or long period of time)?  Is it reasonable?

2. Do your 3 quests all build towards your main quest in little ways, or are you taking on too much? Do your quests have sub-quests or is it just one thing to focus on?

3. Are your main goals realistic? Can you scale them to smaller steps to fit your life better, even if it will make it take a little longer to achieve them?

4. Are your goals able to be measured and tracked?  What will you use to track them?

5. How are you grading your goals?  Are they pass/fail (“every dayâ€, “not even once over the six weeksâ€)?  Is there a reward for the effort, or are you only grading yourself on whether or not you “lose the weight†or “run the distanceâ€?

6. What is your plan for continuing/altering/grading those goals if you become ill or injured?

7. Did you take into consideration any special occasions (Labour Day, Independence Day, birthdays, anniversaries, etc) that may occur during the challenge?  What modifications do you need to build into your goals for those?

8. Do any of your main goals conflict with each other? Will one goal make it hard to do another?

9. Do you already have the time in your schedule to actually complete the goals you’ve set?  If not, what are you planning to do to make time for them?

10. Are you trying to build multiple habits, or is all your energy focused on your main quest?

1. Yes, definitely doable, that's a little less weight per week than I've been losing before this.

2. Well, what I'm eating is probably slightly more relevant, but since I was already doing that, didn't seem like a fun challenge quest. The mile and pullup goals will help evaluate the muscle i'm building and the movement goal will help directly.

3. I have 1 do it or not, there is no try goal of moving at least a mile each day. I can certainly spare the time to do that and frankly am almost doing that anyway. The other 2 I set goals that i could potentially work on but fail. If i don't reach them, I expect I'll be close, and journey more important than the destination blah blah.

4. Yes. posting in battle log each day with my movement and str training if i do it that day. Going to do a mile run each week to see how that's coming.

5. all 3 goals can be graded in terms of a percentage though I expect to meet all 3.

6. I will still be able to move in some manner, though if i'm on crutches or something i might do less than a mile, but still every day. I don't really get sick much ever. A short term thing like a twisted ankle or hurt elbow would probably delay the pull-up or mile goals.

7. Yes, None.

8. No

9. Yes, though my schedule is changing dramatically in 1.5 weeks with a new job, but that should make it easier, not harder, though will require more will power.

10. I'm building 1 new habit (running a weekly mile), and reinforcing 2 existing habits that i want to be more consistent about (daily movement and regularly strength training).

Level 4 Lycan Warrior

Battlelog

Good luck on your miles! If you're doing them outside, I hope you have better weather than me. :( Snow does not make for a fun (or quick) run.

Yeah, I live in Las Vegas so uh, weather is pretty much a non issue. In the "winter" i'll do them during the afternoon when it's almost never below 50 and in the summer I'll do them late when it's usually around 80 with no humidity.

Need to do one of my timed running miles today after work and then another this weekend so I have my baseline.

Level 4 Lycan Warrior

Battlelog

Yeah, I live in Las Vegas so uh, weather is pretty much a non issue. In the "winter" i'll do them during the afternoon when it's almost never below 50 and in the summer I'll do them late when it's usually around 80 with no humidity.

I was born and raised in California, so those used to be my winters. Then I moved to Colorado. I miss my old winters. But yeah, you've got the perfect weather for running. Go forth and be awesome!

📷 📚

So, note to self (or others) make sure you know how your the app you're going to use to time and track your run works first, then run. Clicked to turn off the screen with 1 second left on the countdown, ran what i thought was a pretty good mile, clicked the screen back on as i was getting to my finish line, to see the 1 second timer paused... So, I did the run on my make shift home mile course (it's about a mile, but not as flat as would be ideal, but when the important thing is to track my progress, it's fine to do it on a course that is equally imperfect all the time.

Guess we'll see an actual time from when I run it next, tomorrow or friday.

Level 4 Lycan Warrior

Battlelog

A shame on the timer not working, but all the same, you did a mile, and the person who ran a mile (regardless of time, although that's important too) is always better off than the person who didn't! Seems like you've been pretty active and working towards your goals this week, which is a great start to the next five :)

Keep up the awesomeness!

Well, got a 5th pull-up today, but it was pretty ugly.

Redid my timed mile but right from the start felt way slower than the other night. Ended up at 8 minutes, but feel i was probably around a minute faster the other night.

I think I'm not eating enough as I've actually lost 4 lbs in 4 days, and definitely felt super sluggish this morning trying to run. I've been doing the number of calories MFP suggests to lose 2 lbs a week, counting the additional calories for exercise, but still lost too much weight. I've been doing 30% carbs, 30% protein, 40% fat (by calorie, not gram) and eating paleo (and cheese). Going to try a few more calories as that's too fast to lose weight.

• Like 2

Level 4 Lycan Warrior

Battlelog

I think I'm not eating enough as I've actually lost 4 lbs in 4 days, and definitely felt super sluggish this morning trying to run. I've been doing the number of calories MFP suggests to lose 2 lbs a week, counting the additional calories for exercise, but still lost too much weight. I've been doing 30% carbs, 30% protein, 40% fat (by calorie, not gram) and eating paleo (and cheese). Going to try a few more calories as that's too fast to lose weight.

Yeah, losing that much weight in a week would definitely be concerning. I think that adding in some more calories would be a good idea. My MFP is set to lose 1lb a week, and I usually lose anywhere between 1 and 2. I think that MFP is just a little wonky. Do you eat back any of the calories you've burned? I know some people do and some people don't.

📷 📚

MFP tends to be more of a guideline due to the fact that it's giving you a number based upon the average number of calories someone will burn, when in reality each individual person is typically going to be a bit lower or higher than that number due to any number of factors. I'd think you are doing it just the way you are supposed, where you try a baseline and then figure out how your body actually is burning calories and recalibrating your diet based on those experiences. Most people are going to be a bit closer to that average, but you might just be a bit more of an outlier on this for whatever reason (think bell curves). This article covers the math behind it a bit more (I think I found it in the comments to one of the nerd fitness blog posts, actually).

Maeghaan | Assassin

EQ Level 2 | NF Level 4

I started a blog: The Cognitive Itch
"Even in these chains, you can't stop me"

Weight loss goal: Drop from 247 to 160

36%
36%

Got a 6th pull-up today, though it was pretty terrible form wise. Still, better than having my 4th pull-up be the terrible one. Have gone for a walk/hike/ride/played ultimate every day since a couple days before the challenge started. Just need to stick with that after I start my new job working from home next week. Biking to work tomorrow, canoeing Saturday and hiking with the wife, baby, and father in law Sunday.

• Like 1

Level 4 Lycan Warrior

Battlelog

Did a "1 mile" run yesterday morning. Down to 7:40. still felt very sluggish doing it in the morning compared to at night. Next week i'll try and do both.

Canoed and hiked up canyons off the river from sun up till sun set today. Such a great combination of exercise, nature, friends and family, healthy food, and feeling all primal. Going out with my former boss's boss (Starting the new job at NF Monday!) and our CIO for a couple drinks tonight, but between how infrequent that is, and the fact that MFP says I'm supposed to eat another 3000 calories or something today, think I'll be ok.

• Like 1

Level 4 Lycan Warrior

Battlelog

Congrats on the pullups!!  You're improving - even when they (or the runs) feel BLEH!! 

Good luck starting the new job - it'd be one of my dream jobs to do something that has such a positive impact on people's lives.  Hope you have fun!!

Some sort of Jedi .....

up to 7 pull-ups, admittedly the last is kind of ghetto, but still steady progress.

Ran a mile again, same 7:40 time. I need to try one in the evening again.

Down to 183 again. Stayed within my food macro goals today, mostly by doing so much exercise this morning so hoping to not lose any ground. 

New job is definitely less stress and there's a pretty strong morale boost from doing something that you actually care about.

Level 4 Lycan Warrior

Battlelog