• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

JerseyLightning

JL's First Boot Camp

I've been lurking in NF for about 2 years now. Now that I'm a part of the forums, I'm so excited for my first challenge :D

A little background: I'm a struggling college student who would like to be a responsible badass (i.e. learn how to respond in emergencies while getting straight A's). My main problem is my time management skills. I can't seem to balance my studies, training, and leisure. As the semester flies by, I would eventually abandon my training and studies for tumblr. I joined this so I could be kept accountable on what I do with my time.

I mainly do bodyweight training and I'm a fan of split workouts because of their flexibility.

Main Quest: BE A RESPONSIBLE BADASS

The path to this profession is riddled with dangers and hardships. Taking on all of them is foolish and impossible, so I have chosen three quests that will place me closer to the the person I want to be.

Quest 1: Stick to the SBP (Start Bodyweight Program). That's what I'm doing right now, and I want to continue this thing even after school starts.

Measurement: A = 3x a week, B = 2x a week, C = 1x a week.

Quest 2: Continue the easy PLP challenge.

Measurement: A = 7x a week, B = 5x a week, C = 3x a week

Quest 3: Sleep earlier. Usually, I sleep at around 12-2am, but I'm going to change that because I want to wake up earlier. The quiet sunrise, the undisturbed air, what's not to love? This is the first step towards that :D

Measurement: A = 10pm, B = 11pm, C = 12am

Life Quest: Study at least 30 minutes a day. I need to build a habit of learning everyday so I can stop cramming. It's not healthy to stay up until 3am to finish a paper that's due that morning :I

Measurement: A = 7x a week, B = 5x a week, C = 3x a week

Motivation: Because I'm aspiring to be a volunteer firefighter, I need to be able to respond properly in case of emergencies and save people from harm (like Batman!).

Reward: If I max out the pull-up progression of SBP, I'll buy myself a set of gymnastic rings!

If I complete my life quest, I'll buy a new book for myself!

• Like 3

I wish they taught courses at school on time management so that when we hit university and life we know how to handle these things.  Instead they teach us general knowledge and the likes ;) You're setting yourself up for some great success.

You might notice that I've added tags onto your thread.  This is not to pigeonhole you into a specific guild, but rather to attract the attention of the guild ambassadors because of your lifestyle or a grouping of goals, so that they might be able to motivate, encourage and advise you of anything during your challenge with us.  You don't even need to wait for them, you're welcome to pop into the Assassins to say hi and introduce yourself and to see what they're about. Also you are more than welcome to drop me a line at any time if you need anything.

Good luck

AB xx

• Like 1

Hey welcome to Nerd Fitness.

Nice goals, have you had a think about how you are going to assign your 15 stat points for when you successfully complete your challenge and level up?

Hey welcome to Nerd Fitness.

Nice goals, have you had a think about how you are going to assign your 15 stat points for when you successfully complete your challenge and level up?

Not yet, I'm still figuring out the system :)

I wish they taught courses at school on time management so that when we hit university and life we know how to handle these things.  Instead they teach us general knowledge and the likes ;) You're setting yourself up for some great success.

You might notice that I've added tags onto your thread.  This is not to pigeonhole you into a specific guild, but rather to attract the attention of the guild ambassadors because of your lifestyle or a grouping of goals, so that they might be able to motivate, encourage and advise you of anything during your challenge with us.  You don't even need to wait for them, you're welcome to pop into the Assassins to say hi and introduce yourself and to see what they're about. Also you are more than welcome to drop me a line at any time if you need anything.

Good luck

AB xx

Thanks, commander :D

One of my weaknesses, especially while I was still in school, was definitely time management. It's been an uphill battle, but with proper motivation and accountability - which it sounds like you have this time around! - has helped me a lot. Hopefully you see success with this challenge! Good luck.

• Like 1

You're setting some great goals there! 

I've found that sleeping early, while some people may call it lame (psh, what do they know!) is fantastic. I've gotten into the habit of sleeping as early as 9.30pm because I have to get up at 5/5.30am. My mornings are way more relaxed, and the day seems to last so much longer.

Also totally with you on the studying goal. I've got loads of studying to do for my challenge, and I'll look to you for inspiration and reminders that I should get off my butt and study as well! 

You're setting some great goals there! 

I've found that sleeping early, while some people may call it lame (psh, what do they know!) is fantastic. I've gotten into the habit of sleeping as early as 9.30pm because I have to get up at 5/5.30am. My mornings are way more relaxed, and the day seems to last so much longer.

Also totally with you on the studying goal. I've got loads of studying to do for my challenge, and I'll look to you for inspiration and reminders that I should get off my butt and study as well! 

I used to be an early riser, but I lost that habit after high school. Now that I have 7:30am classes, I'm gonna really need this :P

Following your thread so that I can also be motivated to keep up with my studies :D

Hello! :D I'm bananasheena, an Ambassador for the Assassins' Guild! Looks like you're aiming to do bodyweight workouts, which fits right into the spirit of our guild. As such, we'd like to welcome you to the challenge and extend our support.

More information about our guild can be found in our Guild Information and Announcements thread. If you have any questions about our guild, you can pop over to the Level 1 Assassin Initiates Chat/Q&A thread, where the Ambassadors and Guild Leaders will get back to you as soon as possible, or you can post in the Assassins' Den Guild Chat and hear from our members. Also, if you'd like to have a better idea of what the different members of the guild are working on in this challenge, you can take a look at the Assassin Phonebook.

All the best with the challenge! Don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions or need anything at all. :)

• Like 1

Hello! :D I'm bananasheena, an Ambassador for the Assassins' Guild! Looks like you're aiming to do bodyweight workouts, which fits right into the spirit of our guild. As such, we'd like to welcome you to the challenge and extend our support.

More information about our guild can be found in our Guild Information and Announcements thread. If you have any questions about our guild, you can pop over to the Level 1 Assassin Initiates Chat/Q&A thread, where the Ambassadors and Guild Leaders will get back to you as soon as possible, or you can post in the Assassins' Den Guild Chat and hear from our members. Also, if you'd like to have a better idea of what the different members of the guild are working on in this challenge, you can take a look at the Assassin Phonebook.

All the best with the challenge! Don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions or need anything at all. :)

Thanks for the info :D

One of my weaknesses, especially while I was still in school, was definitely time management. It's been an uphill battle, but with proper motivation and accountability - which it sounds like you have this time around! - has helped me a lot. Hopefully you see success with this challenge! Good luck.

Quest 3: Sleep earlier. Usually, I sleep at around 12-2am, but I'm going to change that because I want to wake up earlier. The quiet sunrise, the undisturbed air, what's not to love? This is the first step towards that :D

Hey there! I'm just starting out a beginner bodyweight routine also! And I want to sleep earlier too! Glad to be in your accountabilibuddies group :) I've got 6 years of undergrad / grad school under my belt, and I can definitely say that it was soo nice to finally get on top of my work and quit cramming. Awesome that you're starting to work on that sooner than I did! ;) It's well worth it. Good luck with all your goals!

Something that I've found that can help with time management is trying to figure out how much I can do while doing laundry.  At my apartment the machines tell you how long your load takes (31 minutes to wash / 55 minutes to dry).  I like to try and do next day prep for the family while the laundry is going.  The wash goes in, I've got 30 minutes to make everyone's lunches (4 people).  Drying is going, can I get both kids bathed and finish dinner? 

It's also helps me remember when I need to do things - when this machine finishes, it's time to start bedtime/dishwasher/whatever.

Timers are my friend basically.

I love the Gir Pikachu!

I love your quest title as well, looking forward to see your progress, good luck with all your goals.

I am King Leeroy a Adventurer Ambassador, if you have any questions don't hesitate to drop me a line on my challenge page or in a PM if you have any questions about anything! Here is my current challenge and some wee tips for using the forum on this tutorial.

• Like 1

I love the Gir Pikachu!

I love your quest title as well, looking forward to see your progress, good luck with all your goals.

I am King Leeroy a Adventurer Ambassador, if you have any questions don't hesitate to drop me a line on my challenge page or in a PM if you have any questions about anything! Here is my current challenge and some wee tips for using the forum on this tutorial.

Thanks for the info! I'll be sure to follow you :D

I've been lurking in NF for about 2 years now. Now that I'm a part of the forums, I'm so excited for my first challenge :D

A little background: I'm a struggling college student who would like to be a responsible badass (i.e. learn how to respond in emergencies while getting straight A's). My main problem is my time management skills. I can't seem to balance my studies, training, and leisure. As the semester flies by, I would eventually abandon my training and studies for tumblr. I joined this so I could be kept accountable on what I do with my time.

I mainly do bodyweight training and I'm a fan of split workouts because of their flexibility.

Main Quest: BE A RESPONSIBLE BADASS

The path to this profession is riddled with dangers and hardships. Taking on all of them is foolish and impossible, so I have chosen three quests that will place me closer to the the person I want to be.

Quest 1: Stick to the SBP (Start Bodyweight Program). That's what I'm doing right now, and I want to continue this thing even after school starts.

Measurement: A = 3x a week, B = 2x a week, C = 1x a week.

Quest 2: Continue the easy PLP challenge.

Measurement: A = did not miss a day, B = missed 3 days, C = missed 7 days

Measurement: A = 10pm, B = 11pm, C = 12am

Life Quest: Study at least 30 minutes a day. I need to build a habit of learning everyday so I can stop cramming. It's not healthy to stay up until 3am to finish a paper that's due that morning :I

Measurement: A = did not miss a day, B = missed 3 days, C = missed 7 days

Motivation: Because I'm aspiring to be a volunteer firefighter, I need to be able to respond properly in case of emergencies and save people from harm (like Batman!).

Reward: If I max out the pull-up progression of SBP, I'll buy myself a set of gymnastic rings!

If I complete my life quest, I'll buy a new book for myself!

Responsible badass...kind of an oxymoron, no? lol

Quest 1: Awesome!

Quest 2: Awesome! I tried a PLP once, but about half way through I started struggling with fitting it all in! 

Quest 3: What's your plan for getting to sleep earlier? Are you going to set a bed time? Try to go to bed 15 minutes earlier each week? etc. Sleep is definitely important.  When I find I'm struggling to get to bed earlier, I set a "go to bed" alarm, as opposed to just a wake up alarm!  :) 

Life Quest Awesome.  I spent 6 years in university, and was basically just a master procrastinator :P 

I love the rewards you set out for yourself!  What book are you thinking about getting?  

• Like 1

What's your plan for getting to sleep earlier? Are you going to set a bed time? Try to go to bed 15 minutes earlier each week? etc. Sleep is definitely important.  When I find I'm struggling to get to bed earlier, I set a "go to bed" alarm, as opposed to just a wake up alarm!   :)

Well, I'm trying to do my homework way earlier than I did before so nothing would keep me up at night. No more procrastination for me :D

I love the rewards you set out for yourself!  What book are you thinking about getting?  

I'm not sure yet, but I think I'll pick something that's non-fiction.

Yesterday, I slept at 12:40 D: but at least I woke up at 5:10am awhile ago! Yay!

I did a StartBodyweight set today. 

Eccentric pull ups - 7.7.7

Bulgarian Split Squats - 7.7.

Pike Push Up - 7.7.7

Hanging Knee Raises - 7.7.7

Diamond Push Ups - 7.7.7

Inverted Rows (One Leg Extended) - 7.7.7

Decline Plank- 40s

I'm quite happy because I got to do it in the morning! It was a new experience for me. I'll try to wake up early more often. Totally worth it :D

Just did a PLP set awhile ago. It's getting hard to fit it in one session :/

I got to study for at least 30 minutes :)

• Like 2

Agreed on the computer use after 9pm - I'm working towards a bedtime goal too, and staying online is almost a guaranteed way to lose track of time. Overall, it looks like you're well on the way to being a badass :D All the best!

• Like 1

I totally get sidetracked on the computer late at night too! I used to find a class - (other stuff, social or exercise) - homework - food - computer - homework - reading - bed type schedule helpful, depending on how much work you have. Obviously it doesn't have to be so strict, but mixing the hw times between other stuff really helped me: I knew I had time for other things, but I also knew I wouldn't be trying to do it all right before bed (not very productive, as we know :P

Sounds like you're making great progress though, keep it up! Every day is a new day to get stuff done :)

• Like 1

Slept at 11:20pm on Thursday.

I didn't do my PLP set or study yesterday because I was tired. I had to travel to a place for an assignment. On the plus side, at least I was able to sleep at around 10pm :D

I was able to wake up early yesterday, so I didn't miss my SBP set.

Hi there JL! Looks like week 1 is going super well for you :D. Going to bed early is a challenge for me as well but getting more sleep makes my days a lot easier.

• Like 1