Steve's 28 Day Challenge

Steve

Here are my quests for the next 28 days:

* Gain at least 5 pounds, hopefully mostly muscle. If I'm going to get in the best shape of my life, I'm going to need to pack on some more muscle. This will be done with a heavily-focused strength and mass-building routine - three days a week in the gym, doing super-intense workouts that only last for about an hour.

* Eat enough calories every day - In order to build some muscle over these next 28 days, I'm going to need to eat more calories than I burn daily. This is going to require 4 or 5 healthy meals to get enough protein, good carbs, and good fats in my system. Luckily, now that I'm at home I"ll have the opportunity to save some money by cooking all of my own healthy meals right here in my kitchen. I have a feeling I'll be eating a lot of my Go-To Meal.

* Sleep - Sleep is one of the most important things when it comes to staying healthy. I'm going to do what I can to make sure I get at least eight hours of sleep a night, because my average over the past six months has been FAR less than that and it really affected my training. No more getting sick, no more wasted days in the gyms from being too tired, I'm actually going to take care of myself.

Let's get after it!

Rebel Leader. I post videos of my dog on Instagram, and sometimes even share fitness wisdom. SOMETIMES.

MONDAY, Day 1

Went to the gym: weighed in at 163, which means I'd like to get to 168-170 by the end of this month.

Today's routine:

Ran to the gym for warm up

Barbell Squats

1x12x45

1x10x135

1x8x145

1x8x135

Bench Press

1x12x45

1x12x135

1x8x155

1x4x175

Wide Grip Pull Ups

Pushups, supersetted with exercise ball roll-outs for core work

3 sets of each, alternated...each set to almost failure

Stretching and jog home.

Notes on today: Damn, I've regressed pretty significantly in the past month and a half, but that's okay: I need to start somewhere. Ready to get back at this thing.

-Steve

Rebel Leader. I post videos of my dog on Instagram, and sometimes even share fitness wisdom. SOMETIMES.

TUESDAY - Day 2

Today was a good day. Win.

Breakfast - Steve's Big Ass Shake

Lunch - 2 Almond Butter Sandwiches on Flaxseed Bread, Big Glass of Whole Milk

Dinner #1 - Chicken, Rice, Asparagus, Big Glass of Whole Milk

Dinner #2 - Chicken Pesto Pasta with String Beans and Zuccini (cooked by my friend Ali who allowed me to tag along).

Snacked on almonds throughout the day.

Went for an hour walk in my Vibrams.

Off to a GREAT start through two days.

-Steve

DAY 3 - Wednesday

Woke up early for the US-Algeria Soccer match, drank my big ass shake for breakfast and then headed to a bar to watch the game. No beers, no bad food, just a lot of water...and a lot of pacing back and forth.

Lunch was a cheeseburger and a few tots at a restaurant (one of my bad meals for the week I guess).

Came home, ate a handful of raisins, chugged some water, and then headed to the gym.

Today's weigh-in: 166 (+3) looks like that lifting and eating over the past 3 days is already helping out!

Workout:

DEADLIFTS

1x12x135

1x10x185

1x8x225

1x3x275

OVERHEAD PRESS

1x12x85

1x8x95

1x4x105

INVERTED BODYWEIGHT ROWS

3 sets of 10

Alternating Sets of lying knee tucks (core) and overhead rope tricep extensions (triceps) - no break between

KNEE TUCKS

4x10

ROPE EXTENSIONS

1x12x40

1x10x60

1x8x65

1x12x50

Notes: Legs still sore from squats on Monday, but that's to be expected after a long break, abs will be very tight on Friday I'm sure. Already up 3 pounds on my adventure, but that's mostly due to probably a light weigh-in on Monday. Still, I'll take it. Looking forward to see what I can do in 4 weeks. Need to get up early again tomorrow, but I hope to get to bed relatively early tonight so I can still get enough sleep!

-Steve

Yesterday was kind of meh - helped out a friend set up for a concert, which turned into an 11 hour day of pushing gear and running around like crazy. Ate half-way decent, but didn't get to eat enough. Got home too late and didn't get to sleep as much as I'd like, but hey, life sometimes gets in the way, right?

Today - woke up early, ate me some breakfast (big ass shake), then headed off to meet up with my Yoda, Mike Rickett.

The workout in the gym kicked my ass, thanks Mike

CIRCUIT - 4 Exercises to almost failure, repeated twice

-Inverted Bodyweight Rows

-Push ups with feet on an exercise ball

-Wide Grip Pull Ups

-Dips

3 sets of 12 reps of leg extensions, followed by 3 sets of 12 reps of leg curls

CIRCUIT - 4 exercises to almost failure, repeated twice

-Upright Rows with Barbell

-Overhead Press with barbell

-Seated Cable Rows

-Cable chest flys

3 sets of 24 walking lunges with twist and kickback, holding a 10 pound weight (12 on each side)

3 sets of 24 side lunges holding 10 pound weight (12 on each side)

STRETCH

Jerk chicken, rice, and some mac n cheese for lunch afterward.

Didn't get a chance to step on the scale today so I don't know where my weight is at today.

-Steve

Decent weekend...definitely had one too many Miller Lites at the bar during the soccer game on Saturday and paid for it on Sunday.

MONDAY - Weight 168 (+5)

Workout

Stretching

then

SQUATS

1x12x45

1x5x135

1x5x150

1x5x150

didn't do final set, left groin was feeling uber tight, didn't want to push it

FLAT DUMBBELL BENCH PRESS

1x10x40s

1x8x60s

1x8x65s

1x6x70s

Wide Grip Pull Ups

1x10xBW (body weight)

1x5x(BW+25lbs.)

1x3.5x(BW +25lbs.), quickly followed by 5xBW

1x6xBW

Exercise Ball with Knee Tucks with decline pushup

1x15

1x10

1x10

Stretching

Already hit my 5 pound increase for the month, but I'd guess only 1-1.5 lbs of that is muscle. No worries, gonna keep eating healthy, lifting heavy, and sleeping.

Off to a good start for week 2!

Another good two days - ate well and healthy yesterday, ate well today too.

WEDNESDAY - Weigh in: 169 (+6)

Workout - 5 min dynamic warm up

Deadlift

1x10x135

1x5x225

3x5x245 (grip gave out on left hand on third set so i split it into two quick sets

Overhead Press

1x5x85

3x5x105

Much better than last week, already feeling the strength come back to me for shoulders

BW Rows (first number is how many in the set I could touch my chest to the bar, second is how many total attempted for that set.

10/10

9/10

3/7

3/7

Superset of Lying Knee Tucks with Tricep Pull-downs

Knee tucks

4 sets of 11

Tricep Pull Down

12x50

10x60

8x70

Felt good today, hope to get some good sleep as well tonight.

-S

Another two good days! Forcing myself to eat another healthy meal late night before going to bed has paid off.

Weighed in today: 170.5 (+7.5)

Today's workout

Dynamic Warmup to get the blood pumping

LUNGES - reps is for each leg

12x45lb dumbbells

10x50lb dumbbells

8x55lb dumbbells

6x60lb dumbbells

Weighted DIPS

3 sets of 12 reps with 25 lb plate hanging off

Weighted Chins

3 sets of 5 reps with 25 lb plate hanging off

Dumbbell Bicep Curls

12x20lbs

10x25lbs

6x30lbs

Stretching!

Notes: Way ahead of schedule on my weight gain for this month, which is awesome...I'm just going to keep eating well and keep lifting heavy, and then evaluate where I'm at and decide to either build more muscle or start cutting the fat.

-Steve

Today's update

Took an extra day off yesterday due to the holiday, so I got back on track today.

Ate well all day long then went to the gym. Weigh-in: 171

Warm Up

SQUATS

Loaded up to do squats, but my groin still didn't feel right at the bottom of the deep squats, so I backed off and did 3 sets of 20 box jumps instead.

BENCHPRESS

1x5x95

1x3x135

3x5x175

Definitely moved up in strength on chest over the past two weeks which is encouraging.

WEIGHTED WIDE GRIP PULL UPS

5xbody weight

5x(+25)

5x(+25)

4.5x(+25), and then 2 with just body weight immediately after

BALL KNEE TUCKS WITH PUSHUP

3 sets of 16, 60 sec break in between

Stretching!

This groin 'injury' is pissing me off, but I'll take it easy until it heals, and try to continue bulking up and doing leg exercises that don't involve me squatting really low. Overall though, up 8 pounds in 2 weeks, which is ridiculous. Gonna keep it going!

-Steve

Forgot to check in last week. Fail.

I did my second workout of the week last thursday, and went with an olympic style workout.

Did 5 sets of jerks, 5 sets of power cleans, 5 sets of snatches, and then 3 sets of inverted rows.

YESTERDAY, I was exhausted and managed to drag my ass to the gym...really glad i ended up going.

Weight 171 (+8)

dynamic warm up

Straight Leg Deadlift

10x135

8x185

6x205

5x205

10x135

Bench press

5x95

5x135

3x5x180

Wide Grip Pull Ups, slow descent

A bunch of knee tucks and pushups with feet up on ball until i wanted to collapse

Stretching

Last week I only made it to the gym twice, but on Saturday I did play kickball and helped my team win 28-4. It was ugly.

-Stev

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines