Name's Charlie. I have 9 years of MMA (mixed martial arts) up my sleeve, but since an injury last year I've had to stop. I'd love to get back to the level of fitness I was at and maybe get a little better at other things too, like running which I avoided like the plague, oops. On my rest days, I hope to dedicate myself to yoga to increase flexibility and balance. 

An example week may be

Monday - running

Tuesday - Upper body strength training

Wednesday - Interval training (running)

Thursday - Core strength training

Friday - running

Saturday - Lower body strength training

Sunday - Yoga

Main goal

To run 5k

Missions

• Run at least 3 times a week
  • Eat Paleo as much as possible
  • Strength train every other day (Sundays off)
Side quests

• Do at least 1 proper pull up
  • Drink more water

Life quest

Stop procrastinating and finish my Uni application

• Like 1

Hi Charlie!

Good luck on the 5K! There are a lot of good programs out there that can help you get ready. I just ran my first one in September, and I've got another one tomorrow(!). The best piece of advice that I can give is to sign up for one. Set it for 6-8 weeks from now (if the weather is permissible in your area), that way you have something specific to work towards. Plus, race day is super fun!

I'll be here cheering you on! Kick butt!

i know how frustrating it is to love something (and be really good at it) and then not be able to do it anymore - i snapped my achilles tendon during a regional tryouts for gymnastics :( I am sure you're going to enjoy getting fit and up to speed again.

You might notice that someone has added tags onto your thread.  This is not to pigeonhole you into a specific guild, but rather to attract the attention of the guild ambassadors because of your lifestyle or a grouping of goals, so that they might be able to motivate, encourage and advise you of anything during your challenge with us.  You don't even need to wait for them, you're welcome to pop into the Monks and/or the Scouts to say hi and introduce yourself and to see what they're about. Also you are more than welcome to drop me a line at any time if you need anything.

Good luck

AB xx

Hello Charlie the Cactus and Welcome!

My name is Amdhiel and I’m an ambassador for the Assassin Guild. I see that your challenge includes a few things that we Assassins enjoy and we’d love to help you crush your goals!

If you want to gather some more information about the guild, stop buy the Info & Announcements thread to find out what’s happening. If you want to find someone with similar interests, including pull-ups, peruse the Assassin Phonebook.

If you want to get to know our crazy guild better or just ask a question stop by The Assassins Den or the Assassins Initiates thread for Level 1’s and introduce yourself. We’re a friendly and supportive guild so don’t be shy about sending us messages or asking for help!

If you ever have any questions or need any help, please let me or any Assassin Ambassador know.  You can get in touch with me by posting in my challenge thread or by sending me a private message.

The Ambassadors and I will be checking in on you from time to time to see how you’re doing. Remember that most successful path is one that includes plenty of support. You're an amazingly strong person and I know you can crush those goals!

Hi Charlie!

Good luck on the 5K! There are a lot of good programs out there that can help you get ready. I just ran my first one in September, and I've got another one tomorrow(!). The best piece of advice that I can give is to sign up for one. Set it for 6-8 weeks from now (if the weather is permissible in your area), that way you have something specific to work towards. Plus, race day is super fun!

I'll be here cheering you on! Kick butt!

That's a great idea! Thank you! Also enjoy your race :)

Hi Charlie the cactus!

Blaidd keeps adding all these tags to attract the attention of the guild ambassadors.  Since you have a @monks tag, let me introduce myself and our guild!

The Monks are a diverse group of nerds all united by one simple passion.  We love the martial arts, whether it's MMA, HEMA, karate, tae kwon do, judo, aikido, tai chi, kung fu, savate, krav maga or other, stranger arts that I can't think of off the top of my head.  If training for MMA is your passion, you might consider dropping by the Courtyard and saying hello to the monks.  We have black belts, new students, world champions and humble teachers.  All are welcome.

Love the goals and I look forward to seeing how you progress!

• Like 1

Howdy! I saw the Monksignal, and had to drop in. I ran my first 5k last year, two more since then, and back hard into MMA for the whole body fitness, as well as training for my first amateur boxing bout in February. Still working on the pullup, though... my power to weight ratio isn't great.

Welcome!

Oooh, that sounds intense! I recently got back into my Zombies, run! 5k program. Which is quite intense for me as well :D

Have you started the program yet or do you plan to start with this challenge?

I plan to start with the challenge, but I have used the Zombies, run! App and I did like it. I might start using it again once I finish the program :)

Day 2

Breakfast:

• 100% Pork sausages x2
  • Boiled egg
Lunch:
  • Fasted (wasn't hungry)
Dinner:
  • Cod fish in tomato and basil sauce
  • Broccoli
  • Cauliflower
Snacks:
  • Beef jerky
  • Dried Cranberries
  • Seeds
  • Passion fruit
Had popcorn. oops.

Also looking at this food log, I can see that when I don't have lunch I seem to snack more. Tomorrow I will make sure to have lunch and see if I still feel the need to nibble.

Water:

2 x 500ml

Workouts:

• 20 minute upper body strength training (bodyweight workout)
  • 2 x 10 assisted pullups
  • Like 2

Day 3

Breakfast:

• Egg white and onion omlette

Lunch:

• Ostrich and crocodile meatballs (yes you read that right)
  • Grilled carrot batons

Dinner:

• Kangaroo steak (you also read that right)
  • Asparagus

Snacks:

• A pear

Had to stand outside in the rain for 2 hours so I caved in and got a hot chocolate

Water:
1 x 500ml 

Workouts:

• Ran approx. 1.5Km (interval training)
  • 2 x 10 assisted pullups

Anyone have any advice to help ease DOMS? My calves are killing me after barefoot running!

Light warmup and some stretching will usually help with the DOMS.  Staying still leads to further stiffness.  Warming up before a workout and stretching afterwards will also usually help.

You have the most interesting food I've seen on here yet :-)  Is this a normal menu?

• Ostrich and crocodile meatballs (yes you read that right)
  • Kangaroo steak (you also read that right)

Anyone have any advice to help ease DOMS? My calves are killing me after barefoot running!

Those are definitely interesting food choices. What does a kangaroo steak taste like?

As for DOMs... Keep moving. Like Teirin said, stretch. The more you move the more the stiffness and pain lessens. At least, that's been my experience. :)

Great first few days! :D Keep up the awesome work!

Light warmup and some stretching will usually help with the DOMS.  Staying still leads to further stiffness.  Warming up before a workout and stretching afterwards will also usually help.

You have the most interesting food I've seen on here yet :-)  Is this a normal menu?

Thanks :) I do warm up and stretch after, but I guess I'm using muscles in a way they're not used to and they're not getting the full range of extension they need over the day not because I wear high heels all day, what? no. Who said that? so when I take my shoes off at the end of the day, I can hardly put my heel on the floor without bending my knees. Which isn't fun considering I'm usually ridiculously flexible so it really gets on my nerves that I'm all stiff.

Also no, its not a normal menu. Funny story actually, we've had them in our freezer for a while while we find a good recipe to cook them, but our freezer just broke and they were the most expensive meats in there so they kind of got eaten first to make sure they didn't spoil :3 

• Like 1

Eating 20-30 grams of protein within 30 minutes of your workout can help with DOMS. Sounds like you'll also need to do some extra calf stretching. Another option is foam rolling or using a tennis/lacrosse ball to help loosen up any knots.

Also very interesting meals [emoji1]

Day 3

Breakfast:

• scrambled egg white

Lunch:

• A tuna cutlet

Dinner:

• Steak
  • Garden peas

Snacks:

• Dried mango
  • Chicken soup

I have an awful sore throat, like I can't really breathe properly it's all swollen, so I've had a couple of cups of hot water with lemon and some frozen coconut milk to bring the swelling down.

Water:
1 x 500ml 

Workouts:

Had to skip today as I was having trouble breathing and drinking, so I didn't want to do anything that would make me need to drink a lot.

• Like 1