Hiroro Finds the Groove

Hiroro

This challenge I'm getting in the groove. To me the groove is all about routines that make me feel awesome, like working out, yoga, and flossing. It's also about just being happy. Also maybe because I can't dance so I live in awe of every SYTYCD contestant and Step Up star -- their talent and fitness level. This challenge may be an excuse to watch allll the dance movies as inspiration!

grease-lightning.gif

Last challenge went well for me; I fell off the metrics wagon but the overall high protein-lower carb moderate-quantity eating tendencies stuck and I lost a few pounds (and a pants size!). Right now I'm definitely eating over the 100g carbs/day, so I'll work on reining it in but not stressing out. After the plantar fascitis-wrist cyst combination discouragement episode, I'm ready to get back to the gym. It will help that the bf is leaving town in a couple weeks so I won't be prioritizing spending time with him.  :nevreness:

Main long-term goal: Be Anti-fragile

I'm way too young to be feeling as unhealthy as I do, and I'm ready to get in take-on-the-world shape. Ways to measure this-- body fat ~20-25%, capability to get through Crossfit class more than once/week, get up the stairs without being out of breath, have clothes fit better,  have more energy.

Main challenge goal: Comfortably fit into my jeans. 

They're size 8 or 10, and I'm sooo close--they fit pretty well except when I sit down. Gotta work on that muffin top. Since it's finally jeans weather in Cali, I'd like to feel great when I wear them. 

Sub-goal #1: Daily core/squats/calf-rolling/chinup-pullup work (+3 CON, +3 DEX)

Sub-sub-goals:

1. 2 chinups (I mayyyy have lost the ability to do 1 due to not working at it. gah) +1 STR
  2. 1 pullup +1 STR
  3. 1000 total squats +1 STR
  4. Average 10,000 steps/day +1 STA

Sub-goal #2: Be awesome at life

Sub-sub-goals:

1. Start an investment account outside my 401k +1 WIS
  2. Finish Christmas gift prep by end of Nov +1 CHA
  3. Record all eating and sleep +1 CON
  4. Meditate 5min daily +2 WIS

This is my attempt to simplify from last challenge. I'm not doing metrics this go-around, and I'm tracking steps and sleep weekly with my new Fitbit. Ideally I'll hit the gym ~3x/week, but it's not a primary goal. 

#1 #2 #3 #3.1 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #13.5 #14 #15 #16 # 17 #18 #19 #20 #21

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Level 18 Pixie Ranger

What great goals. I can identify with the "I'm too young to feel like this" part. It sounds like you are on a good path now though!

2016 goals: Hit goal weight. Build muscle.

2015 goals: Get stronger, stop loathing squats and get better at them - DONE!!!

2014 goal: Lose 52.5 lbs. - DONE!!! 12/13/14

MFP

Thanks guys! My day 1-2 eating is definitely wayyy off (hellooooo carbs) but since I feel like crap and somehow gained 3 POUNDS over the weekend i'm over it. Ready to get back to meat and veggies.

Challenge spreadsheet here. Mostly for adding up squats.

Day 1

Yoga! I got my housemate to come (she went to the beginner's class which at the same time as my all levels class) which was exciting. I love having Monday yoga because it counteracts all the Monday-ness. Such a great start to the week. I counted the savasana at the end as my meditation time for the day  :pride:

Added calf rolling to my daily set, so I'll start that today. Stalking Xena and Darkfoxx has me itching to start running again, so I need to get serious about fixing the plantar fascitis.

Recorded all my food, embarrassing as it is. In my battle log. The office carbs have been tempting me lately (there's a bagel sitting on my desk RIGHT NOW), and I've been drinking coffee even though I can feel the immediate negative reaction of my stomach. 

I like it - simple and straightforward.

I am going to try to be a better thread-follower this time! Good luck with everything, I'm sure you'll do great.

I'm looking at your thread RIGHT NOW and woah it resonates with me so hard. Eating things that for sure will make me feel blegh and doing it anyways. Also, Elf was hilarious and I'm not a huge Will Farrel fan. 

• Like 1

#1 #2 #3 #3.1 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #13.5 #14 #15 #16 # 17 #18 #19 #20 #21

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Level 18 Pixie Ranger

You'll figure out the food...I know from your last challenge you can think of all kind of delicious healthy meals.

Yoga with the housemate sounds awesome! Everything is so much easier if you can build up a bit of a support system.

Thanks Xena! 

I do love to cook, and make Paleo meals. But my bf has been in town on a business trip for the last few weeks and man, have I gotten off track. Between the weekends in LA and the eating out with his coworkers, it's been rather extravagant for me. The first week or so I was just so thrilled to have him here, but once the initial excitement wore off it started to become a struggle.

I'm still happy to get to see him, and thankful that work coincided to let him be here for about a month. But I've become frustrated with the interruption to my routines. Since he's basically treating the trip as a diet/fitness vacation, I find myself skipping my workouts and going out to eat to spend time with him. Especially as the person who moved away, I feel pressure to form my schedule around his...the last week or two I was just too guilty to go to the gym when I knew he would be home. Plus when I join him for dinner with coworkers it adds social interaction that I've been lacking a bit.

We had a conversation this weekend, and I think his visible loss of fitness has motivated him to come to the gym with me (after I asked about 1,000,000 times) starting this week. He also said that if I didn't want to do something on the weekend, he could just go off without me, but I found that proposal upsetting. I did propose mostly going about our own routines during the day, and if it lines up then great, if not then we'll hang out after dinner.

I went to yoga and then cooked dinner last night (spinach and kale with bacon, bison burgers mmm) and it felt amazing. He happened to finish work about when dinner was ready, so he ate after me and did most of the dishes. It feels like a much better rhythm. Must not let boy stand in the way of grocery shopping, cooking, and working out!

Thus ends the rambling essay :P

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Level 18 Pixie Ranger

Good winning against the bagel! I confess, they are my weakness.

Best of luck finding that balance of routine and rhythm with the boy - I know how hard that can be, but it will be so great once you get there! Just in time for him to go home, no doubt :P

Race: Wood Elf

Level 20

Class: Ranger

Strength: 45 | Dexterity: 15 | Stamina: 44 | Constitution: 29 | Wisdom: 35 | Charisma: 28

BATTLE LOG   EPIC QUEST  CHALLENGE

The funny thing is, the bf has gotten in pretty great shape lately by controlling portions and going to Crossfit. But on his business trip here he's taking a break from both of those things. 

We do both prioritize fitness, just somehow manage to never be in sync with our efforts. 

Got back to my high-protein breakfast, brought-from-home lunch, and a fresh-cooked dinner. Not perfect, but solid. I think my morning coffee still screwed over my digestive system. I'm eating rice porridge now because it always manages to calm my stomach, grains and all.

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Level 18 Pixie Ranger

Went to the gym yesterday! For the first time since...uh...yeah.

I like to do something I call in my head 'The 300' even though it has nothing to do with the actual NF 300 workout. It's just 300 reps of whatever I want. Yesterday:

4 sets of the following

15 squats, 15lb dumbells

15 leg lifts (1 center + 1 left + 1 right = 1 rep)

15 curl/overhead press, 10lb dumbells

15 dumbell swings, 25lb

15 dumbell snatches (each side), 15 lb

I feel slightly sore today (mayyyy have tweaked one side of my back a bit on a snatch but not too bad) but not sore enough to keep me from another workout today. Maybe...Zumba? It always looks so fun. If I workout 3 days in a row (yesterday, today, tomorrow) then I will buy myself the latest T.Swift CD (DONT JUDGE) and maybe a $30 massage for the sake of my back.

Also, I've only missed one day of meditation so far because I straight up forgot. I like the calm.com guided meditation, it makes the time pass pretty quickly.

Still at 156lb, thanks to stupid weekend eating, but since I'm keeping it low key this weekend I hope to get down to the low point next week. 

Eating is much better, though I'm still doing one cup of coffee and rice porridge in the morning. Other than that, slowly weaning myself of the carbs. Just had a glass of wine last night, and two small pieces of dark chocolate at work. 

Almost able to do a chinup again. I might be there, I got really close yesterday after my workout. 

My bf and I are doing much better with our newly uncoordinated schedules.  :pride:

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Level 18 Pixie Ranger

Annnnd nutritional meltdown. I had Mexican for lunch and Red Lobster for dinner and did NOT make good choices. But on a positive note, I did another 300 workout today:

Pullups (assisted)

Squats/lunges

Chinups (assisted)

deadlifts

tucks

I was feeling out of it (possibly due to said nutritional meltdown), but feel much better after. This weekend I plan to hit my 'open retirement account outside 401k' goal.

Even though I said I'd hold off, I bought the Taylor Swift CD at Target today. It has an extra three tracks and I didn't want to have to go back for it :P BUT I will wait until I hit my workout tomorrow to listen. Previously I was moderately excited, but having to wait makes it unreasonably exciting. Guess I'm finally learning the joys of delayed gratification  :rapture:

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Level 18 Pixie Ranger

Went to yoga this morning, counted that as my third workout (besides Monday yoga) for the week -- listened to my new CD at work! I feel a bit sore all over from the last couple workouts, and it's amazing! It's enough to show that the gym sessions were effective, but I can still move/function normally...which is a huge contrast from the post-Crossfit ridiculousness. I froze my Crossfit membership for next month, so by 2015 I plan to establish good enough basic fitness to get through WODs without being incapacitated for a week. Tomorrow is rest day! Except for a brief daily set.

Doing some overtime lately at work, it's definitely good for my financials. Now just have to majorly work on the spending side. Especially food budget :nightmare: . I'm going to spend the rest of the month cooking the food I have in the pantry to counteract the last few superspendy weekends. And definitely not buying any more chocolate, since I have a pretty major stash >_<

After breakfast, I hit the coffee shop and library before yoga. Then shower and work...neglected to bring something to eat for lunch but thankfully had good snacks (clementine, Epic bison bar, a couple small squares of dark chocolate) to tide me over to dinner. Now I'm HUNGRY but will not give in to the pumpkin pie at the other end of the Engineering Office. Not homemade=not worth it. Heading out soon.

I bought a bag of coffee this morning despite its effects on my stomach...the good stuff is definitely less indigestion-causing than the crappy stuff they supply at the office. I'll make some almond and/or coconut milk to dilute it and try to stick to my 1 cup/day.

Solid Saturday so far, I should mention that at least yesterday's poor eating was a social situation, which isn't a good reason to eat poorly but IS an improvement on my old take-out/pig-out habit. Work in progress.

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Level 18 Pixie Ranger

Hihi Hiroro!

Good to see you again! I love that your overall goal is just to feel amazing! That's definiteky what this is all about. :)

It can be really difficult to maintain healthy habits when your routine is interrupted and I def understand how you're feeling about feeling obliged to skip things to spend time with your bf. Hopefully he understands and will be supportive.

LEVEL 2 | HALF DWARF | ADVENTURER

STR 6 | DEX 2 | STA 5 | CON 4 | WIS 6.5 | CHA 1

Hihi Hiroro!

Good to see you again! I love that your overall goal is just to feel amazing! That's definiteky what this is all about. :)

It can be really difficult to maintain healthy habits when your routine is interrupted and I def understand how you're feeling about feeling obliged to skip things to spend time with your bf. Hopefully he understands and will be supportive.

Hi! We're definitely making progress, it's a lot of adjustments.

The major issue right now is that he eats out with coworkers a lot, and when I join them I make poor choices. We went out to a pizza place last night (after I suggested somewhere else) and I got fish and chips because at least that avoids the major amounts of cheese. I wasn't feeling too hot beforehand, and felt progressively worse during dinner hello, stomach cramps. But even a salad isn't really a 'safe' choice for me since fiber has been an issue. But he's leaving Wednesday, so right now I'm just focusing on quality time together.

I agree...coffee varies a lot in its digestibility. Not sure what causes the difference. I convinced myself that it's the acidity, but I'm not sure if that's really true. I think the caffeine itself can also be an irritant.

I also tend to blame acidity, so I buy lower-acid (dark-roast) beans, but yes...it's probably just all coffee in general. I cycle through giving up coffee and then drinking it again because I love it. I'm also a big tea person but...it's not the same.

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Level 18 Pixie Ranger

mjmoves.gif

After making decent choices all day, last night was...blah. Fish and chips and a garlic knot, though I actually only ate about 2/3 of it because my stomach was acting up. I think my carbs, etc over the course of the day were actually not too bad because I accidentally skipped lunch. At least it was overall a productive day (yayyyyyy library!)

This morning I woke up early (because now that I sleep enough and always wake up early during the week my body just...does that for the first time in my life) and started on the Christmas gifts. I'm mostly doing small gifts, combinations of handmade and store-bought bits and bobs. I bought some shower bombs the other day at Whole Foods, so each of those will get paired with a candle for the mini 'refreshed & relaxed' bundle. Today I made a few bottles of vanilla extract (they take 6-8 weeks to steep) for the bakers I know. 

After making the vanilla I put on a seaweed face mask, so between the vanilla, alcohol, and seaweed fumes I'm feeling a bit odd. All I have left planned for the day is grocery shopping! And perhaps pantry inventory-ing. For which this is totally (not at all) fitting:

200.gif

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Level 18 Pixie Ranger

Week 1 Summary

Daily set: 6/7

Squats: 110(/1000) I'm behind, but not worried.

Meditation: 5/7

Food log: 7/7

Steps: ??? (need to check later)

Life:

• So close to being able to do a chinup again. It would probably help if I stopped eating biscuits >_<
  • I started to open an investment account this weekend, but need to do bank verification stuffs to finish. Once I do that, I'll max out an IRA plus have another investment account (so 401k + IRA + regular account).
  • I started making the gifts this weekend. Vanilla is done, I'm going to have to make a lot of citrus salts--I'll start planning that after the bf leaves on Wednesday

My eating has been pretty crazy, and I've felt the effects. But on the upside I've been sleeping plenty, not eating too much quantity-wise, and getting back to the gym. I noticed the increase in workout clothes in my laundry load this weekend, and found that (oddly) satisfying.

Week 2 Plan

This week the bf is leaving, so I'll revert back to cooking most of my meals. I did a pantry inventory this weekend, and plan to use up things -- sort of a mini-challenge. Plan for the week:

• Monday yoga
  • Gym 3-4x
  • Try Zumba! (They have it at my gym and it looks like a fun workout to fit in between lifting days)
  • Finish all the leftovers in the fridge, and start cooking from the pantry (no waste!)
  • No biscuits/minimize eating out --I'll probably have dinner out with bf Tuesday night, but that could be it
  • Kick butt at work --because if I get enough done I'll take alllll of next week off to meander up the coast to visit relatives for Thanksgiving

I'm excited to make my muscles sore again  :playful:

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Level 18 Pixie Ranger

Yesterday I forgot my lunch and went home for lunch...then didn't want to go back to work so took a long lunch...so I didn't make it to yoga. :nonchalance:

Last night, I got unexpectedly overwhelmed by the sads because the bf is leaving tomorrow. I've been almost looking forward to getting back into my routines, but now that he's about to fly out (after a month of getting used to having him around) it's meltdown time. Yesterday major crying, popcorn and chocolate for dinner, and general uselessness occurred. I can just feel a gluten-and-dairy binge coming on after he leaves and the loneliness sets in. 

I know that I've got it pretty good, and once he leaves I'll be able to cook more, go to the gym without guilt, work on his Christmas present, and get back to my reading. And work my butt off at the job. That doesn't keep me from getting emotional about another 2-months-or-so period away.  :numbness:

Work overwhelm + Emotional overwhelm = eek. Sorry for the whine.

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Level 18 Pixie Ranger

Last night, I got unexpectedly overwhelmed by the sads because the bf is leaving tomorrow. I've been almost looking forward to getting back into my routines, but now that he's about to fly out (after a month of getting used to having him around) it's meltdown time. Yesterday major crying, popcorn and chocolate for dinner, and general uselessness occurred. I can just feel a gluten-and-dairy binge coming on after he leaves and the loneliness sets in.

Totes understandable. :(

At least you recognize the sad binge dinner and can just look ahead and get back into good habits!

Always sad at first when the long distance gap starts again but you can get back into kicking butt!

LEVEL 2 | HALF DWARF | ADVENTURER

STR 6 | DEX 2 | STA 5 | CON 4 | WIS 6.5 | CHA 1

Totally makes sense to be sad. Absolutely.

But you can take control of your diet over the next couple of days. Use it as a little diet re-boot. Eat some healthy things that you like and he doesn't. Take a little extra care to plan out your meals.

Maybe instead of doing some kind of hard exercise you don't really like, "treat" yourself to whatever is your favorite.

Pamper yourself in some other ways that don't involve food. Watch some garbage tv, read a trashy novel, take a long bath, buy yourself a small present.

I know you are new to town and might not know many people yet, but maybe this would be a good week to try to make some plans to keep yourself a little busy.

Just some ideas...you know best what will work.

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

Totes understandable. :(

At least you recognize the sad binge dinner and can just look ahead and get back into good habits!

Always sad at first when the long distance gap starts again but you can get back into kicking butt!

Thanks for the encouragement! Turned into more like a sad binge few days, but last night I hit a turning point and feel so much better now. 

Totally makes sense to be sad. Absolutely.

But you can take control of your diet over the next couple of days. Use it as a little diet re-boot. Eat some healthy things that you like and he doesn't. Take a little extra care to plan out your meals.

Maybe instead of doing some kind of hard exercise you don't really like, "treat" yourself to whatever is your favorite.

Pamper yourself in some other ways that don't involve food. Watch some garbage tv, read a trashy novel, take a long bath, buy yourself a small present.

I know you are new to town and might not know many people yet, but maybe this would be a good week to try to make some plans to keep yourself a little busy.

Just some ideas...you know best what will work.

Thanks Xena, I really appreciate all the suggestions. I've been watching a ton of Gilmore Girls but...they're a really unhealthy eating habit influence lol. And you're so right about eating healthy things the bf doesn't like (MUSHROOMS)!

It's been a rough couple of days, but last night after eating alll the junk food I was just...done. At first I was just going to crash, but I decided to hit my meditation for the day by doing a sort of 'moving meditation', tidying up. Maybe it sounds a little nuts, but I cleaned and breathed deeply (there were no cleaner fumes, no worries) and afterwards felt so much better. I even busted out a few reps of the daily set so I can finally put a '1' in that row of my spreadsheet for the week. 

I got out the afghan I'm working on (not quite halfway through aaaaah need to finish in a month) last night, so I'll probably combine that with TV tonight to get going. This morning I ate Applegate ham and a clementine for breakfast, about to be followed by and enormous jar of coffee. There is steak and broccoli waiting in the fridge for lunch, and my gym bag in the car for after work.

tumblr_nc12tl6H0r1rrq6yfo2_500.gif

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Level 18 Pixie Ranger