• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

starsapart

Prepare teh be boarded and surrender yer booty! [The Cutlasses]

Ahoy cap'n! Requestin' permission to sail under the flag o' the Sea Witch again. 

Granted!  Never would I leave a friend in port, especially when we've had so many adventures together!

Has the ship left yet? Willing to come aboard if ye will have me

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/55967-the-origins-of-battlekat/ 

Ye're welcome!  Teh even out the crew numbers fer the challenges, ye'll be sailin' along with the Barmaid!  Introduce yerself teh yer crewmates and get ready fer an adventure!

• Like 1

The wind was blowing briskly and the Witch's flag was snapping with it, an outward example of her captain's eagerness to depart.  Still, she was attempting to present the image of an experienced sailor here, not a girl giddy with possibility... even if she was, perhaps, just a bit of both.

"I'll be expectin' ye teh join up with us sooner rather than later," she said to Captain ShadowLion, who stood with Somebody curled around her shoulders like a furry scarf.

"The Queen be needin' a bit 'o work yet," the other woman replied.  starsapart had to wonder if she were imagining the hint of regret in the other captain's voice.

"Aye, and it'll be done quick enough," she said, attempting encouragement.  "I'll care fer them as ye did - or, I'll try me best."

"It's all I can ask o' ye, lass."  Now, ShadowLion smiled.  "Ye'll do a fine job, I'm thinkin'  And I better be lettin' ye get to it - the wind be fair, and yer crew be lookin' ready teh set sail."

"I'll be seein' ye at the rendezvous point as planned," starsapart replied.  This was a hard good-bye, but it had to be said.  For a few moments after ShadowLion departed, starsapart stood quietly and gathered her thoughts about her.  Now was the time to prove that ShadowLion's trust had not been misplaced.

Up the gangplank and onto the deck of the Sea Witch she went.  She'd spoken with Jazzy not a quarter hour ago, and felt certain the other captain was even now making her own preparations.  "All right, lasses, listen up!" she called, pitching her voice to be heard over the gulls and the wind and the hum of the port.  "We be sailin' north from here.  There be plenty of opportunities few plunder along the trade routes, and I've got some ideas teh start.  From there..." she grinned.  "The horizon needs chasin' and mayhap I've an idea or two which way teh chase.  There be rumors about this port o' treasure most magical hidden on an island invisible except when lit by the colors in the sky.  I'm thinkin' we can brave a bit o' cold for such a thing, what say ye, lasses?"

A cheer went up from the crew.  Clearly, they were no more afraid of rough northern seas than starsapart.  If need be, the wind could be sung to calm, and she would lead them until they found it.  A fine solstice gift for all, indeed!

"Signal the Barmaid, raise anchor, and out teh sea with us!"

Week 1: Plunder the Trade Routes

Welcome teh the new challenge, lasses!  As you see above, we'll be settin' sail into chilly waters as we head into winter.  Dangerous?  Aye, but we be pirate queens brave and bols, and we're afraid o' nothing!  As an aside, all o' ye able seawomen be encouraged teh add teh the plot as ye will!  Collaborative writing be the best sort!  And as fer ye apprentices, work hard, mind yer captains, and ye'll be promoted soon enough!

Fer this first week o' the challenge, we'll be takin' advantage o' the trade routes teh stock up on necessities and treasure both.  Those ships'll never see us coming!  We've got two assignments this time around:

1. Select our targets!  Among the guilds, there be threads with gifs and shiny baubles ripe fer the takin'!  I encourage each able seawoman teh recommend a thread fer plunder!  If'n ye decide on a target and feel ready teh board them, any able seawoman be qualified now teh lead a boardin' party!  Fer an example o' how ye might set this up, take a look here.
  2. Select our beneficiaries!  We'll be stashin' our treasure along the way, and spreadin' encouragement as well!  All cutlasses regardless of rank are asked teh provide 3-5 names o' Level 1 Rebels who might like teh receive some encouragement and treasure from us!  We'll be giftin' them as the challenge goes along.  We'll be startin' the giftin' in week 2, so fer now, let's get a good cashe o' names put together!

Please enter yer nominations in this spreadsheet.  Rest assured - we'll be havin' ourselves an exercise mini in week 2, but we can't let our reputation on the high seas as emissaries o' encouragement suffer!

Forward, lasses!

• Like 3

I be welcomin any and all teh me ship! We have plenty of space!

Welcome, new crew! I'll be sendin out a message teh ye all hopefully tonight, if not, tomorrow!

• Like 2

The smell of the sea was on the air - oh how Tundralily loved the sea! While her last voyage abroad the Sea Witch was her first voyage, she had fallen in love with the sea. The feeling of freedom and adventures to be had. 

Swinging across the rigging where she was readying the sails for the voyage ahead, she watched as her Cap'n said her goodbyes to Captain ShadowLion. A sad day it was, departing for a time from dear friends and comrades. If the Sea Witch's voyage went according to plan, we would be rendezvousing with the Queen in but a short while. Then again, when have things ever gone according to plan? Tundralily thought gloomily, before tossing the thought out of her mind in at an attempt to be calm before the journey ahead. 

Looking down, she spotted Amdhiel and BlimeyCharlie on deck chatting while untangling the anchor rope. Squealing with delight, she swung off the rigging to the aft deck below and ran to greet her friends. "Amdhiel! BlimeyCharlie! There ye be! How was your shore leave? Tell me about your adventures. I missed sailing with ye both!". 

Dancing around with happiness at seeing her crew members again, she realized that there be not one, but three new crew members aboard the Sea Witch! "Forgive me lasses, where be my manners?" She splurted in embarrassment to LiserFrenche, Pyrorazor, Cat_Therien. " Me name is Tundralily, I be from the Far North! And haven't spent much time around people lately, hence my poor manners. Sorry about that...Don't be alarmed, I'm friendly! Promise!"

Turning around to the sound of laughter, she grinned "Gods be praised, you two lasses, stop laughing at me! Anyway, where was I? Where abouts ye all be from? Come pull up a hammock in the forward section of the deck and I'll see if I can find some rum!"

Hearing the shout of the Cap'n as she climbed up the gangplank, Tundralily turned around and listened with a smile. She was going North again, and heading towards home! Turning to Cap'n, she shouted, "We be the Cutlasses and ye fine crew Cap'n, a little cold won't stop us! How cold ye be talking about anyway? If its above -20C, it be a balmy fine day where I hail from!" 

"Signal the Barmaid, raise anchor, and out teh sea with us!" shouted Captain Starsapart. "Oh shiny, I feel up to leading some raiding and pillaging today! Who's with me?" grinned Tundralily as she went to signal the Barmaid. 

A new adventure, and going North to boot! How bout that eh?

• Like 6

@Tzippi That be a fine song indeed, by one o' me favorite bards. I imagine ye've heard the Athens Queen n' his version o' Witch o' the Westmoreland?

All ye lasses, may yer mugs an' yer pockets be full next we meet! I'll be along as soon's the Queen be ready fer those northern seas an' winds!

(I already know I'm gonna be awful at typing out pirate talk but I'm excited for this challenge. Also excuse the poor story, I'm a little rusty) 

Sitting in the pub and nursing her mug of rum, Pyro checks her pocket watch nervously, a gift from her late father, waiting for the right time to head to the port. Taking a sip, she recalls on how she got to this moment.

“You can’t lone wolf it anymore Pyro, this world will eat you alive.†An ominous figure says sternly. “Look you are a good kid, you have the strength of a raging fire, and the keen sense of adventure. Not to mention your willingness to learn. Head south to the seas, and you might just find what you are looking for.â€

Coming out of the flashback, she takes one last swig of her rum, stuffs her pocket watch in her pants and heads to the docks. The sun was high and the wind was blowing, perfect weather for sailing, she walked along the edges of the docks and spotted a couple Captains talking to each other. She would know, for their hats signified their rank. Watching as one walked away from the other, she quickly ran up to the remaining captain and introduced herself.

“Hey Captain! My name is Pyro and I’m looking to work on a ship. Got room for one more?†She asks confidently. The Captain eyes her up and down with her hands folded across her chest and waits a moment before answering.

“We need t’ work on yer pirate speak, but climb aboard to me ship! I could use someone like ye†the Captain says. “The name is Starsapart but call me Captainâ€.

Pyro nods as she tries to decipher the strange language being spoken before her. She grabs the rope ladder with a firm grip and climbs to the top of the ship.  Greeted by fellow shipmates LiserFrenche and Cat_Therien, who are also new to the ship, help her get settled. Pyro leans against the side of the ship watching the others go by and think about what is in store for her.  She watches as a fellow shipmate, (she now has learned her name is Tundralily), swing from the tops of the sails to the others below and having a laugh. After introducing herself, she goes back to admiring the ship she is standing on. 

Suddenly the Captain calls for all hands on deck and they are off to sea, sailing to the North where the adventure awaits for this soon to be pirate. 

• Like 5

Ana added another coat of tar to the Barmaid’s side.  Their last journey had been a rough one, and most of the crew had gotten lost along the way, but somehow they had made it back to port.  The Barmaid’s crew was determined to have a better go of it this round. They had several new members on board, and by working together they would get the ship back in shape and head out once more.  Ana heard a thump and looked down.  Noodle had jumped into the tar bucket and was whining about the sticky mess.  She pulled herself back to the deck of the ship and pried the sticky cat out of the bucket. 

“Com’on now Noodle, let’s get ye cleaned up.â€

By the time the cat was clean the rest of the crew had assembled on deck. It was time to begin their journey, and Ana was determined she and Noodle would stay on board this time no matter how difficult things got.

• Like 3

Cat looked over the railing of the Sea Witch, watching her captain, Starsapart, walk along the weatherworn dock toward the ship.  The woman carried herself with an easy grace that bespoke of confidence and strength -- qualities Cat admired.  As she watched, another ship captain approached Starsapart, and the two stopped to converse.  Cat thought she recognized the second woman; a passing conversation touched the edges of memory, but didn't solidify.

A shadow fell across the smooth railing next to her, and Cat looked up from searching her memory to see another new member of the crew.  This one she did recognize; a woman who had signed up with the Witch at the same time as herself.  Cat smiled and nodded a greeting, then remembered a name:  LiserFrenche.  

"Aye 'ello, Lass,"  Cat said. "Ye lookin' f'ward ter set sail?"  It was comforting to Cat to know she wasn't the only apprentice on board.  The two women talked for a bit, exchanging pleasantries.  

In a conversational lull, Cat turned back to look at the dock, just in time to see someone climbing up a rope ladder.  There was an eagerness to her face, a sharpness of wit in her eyes.  Cat twitched her head at LiserFrenche, and the two walked over to the top of the ladder.  

"Welc'm aboard, Mate," Cat grinned.  Each grabbing an arm, she and LiserFrenche helped the woman over the wide railing.  The newcomer introduced herself as Pyro.  Cat was delighted to find out the woman was also a new apprentice, and the three exchanged names.

"Well met, we three!" Cat exclaimed, laughter in her voice.  "Muskoteers o' th' sea!"  

Her laughter caught the attention of a seawoman nearby, who separated herself from a group of seasoned sailors.  "Forgive me lasses, where be my manners?" She splurted in embarrassment to LiserFrenche, Pyrorazor, Cat_Therien. " Me name is Tundralily, I be from the Far North! And haven't spent much time around people lately, hence my poor manners. Sorry about that...Don't be alarmed, I'm friendly! Promise!" 

The two women behind Tundralily laughed, and she half turned to respond over her shoulder. 
"Gods be praised, you two lasses, stop laughing at me!"  She turned back to the three apprentices and said, "Anyway, where was I? Where abouts ye all be from?"

"Th' Mid'l Kingdom, that's me home," Cat replied with a wide smile and a nod.  She liked this firecracker of a woman with bright eyes and quick movements.  "I be a'sailin' fer th' a'venture an' tryin' sum'thin' new."

LiserFrenche and Pyro also shared their origins, and when they were done Tundralily swung an arm wide.  "Come pull up a hammock in the forward section of the deck and I'll see if I can find some rum!"

It was a welcome invitation indeed!  The three apprentices were just about to follow Seawomen Tundralily eagerly toward the fore when a shout from the Captain brought their heads around.  

"All right, lasses, listen up!" Starsapart called, pitching her voice to be heard over the gulls and the wind and the hum of the port.  "We be sailin' north from here.  There be plenty of opportunities few plunder along the trade routes, and I've got some ideas teh start.  From there..." she grinned.  "The horizon needs chasin' and mayhap I've an idea or two which way teh chase.  There be rumors about this port o' treasure most magical hidden on an island invisible except when lit by the colors in the sky.  I'm thinkin' we can brave a bit o' cold for such a thing, what say ye, lasses?"

As if on cue, the entire crew of the Sea Witch shouted, a thunderous noise that carried across the docks.  When it died down, the Captain continued, "Signal the Barmaid, raise anchor, and out teh sea with us!"

• Like 1

Fer this first week o' the challenge, we'll be takin' advantage o' the trade routes teh stock up on necessities and treasure both.  Those ships'll never see us coming!  We've got two assignments this time around:

1. Select our targets!  Among the guilds, there be threads with gifs and shiny baubles ripe fer the takin'!  I encourage each able seawoman teh recommend a thread fer plunder!  If'n ye decide on a target and feel ready teh board them, any able seawoman be qualified now teh lead a boardin' party!  Fer an example o' how ye might set this up, take a look here.

Jest ta clarify a bit, we got to a thread that was from th'last challenge, hoist our colors, and declare them plundered, while pilferin' their bits of shiny? Any particular piratical flag to fly, or anything with a whiff o' salt, rum, and sass?

• Like 1

I'm loving this story - keep it up, lasses!

Jest ta clarify a bit, we got to a thread that was from th'last challenge, hoist our colors, and declare them plundered, while pilferin' their bits of shiny? Any particular piratical flag to fly, or anything with a whiff o' salt, rum, and sass?

Generally, we be plunderin' threads from this current challenge... quite a few people be at multiple pages o'shinies already!

Generally, we be usin' this image teh notify our targets that they're bein' boarded:

TheCutLasses-boarded_zps7def8ca4.png

Granted, the ship name may not match yers, but I don't have the original teh edit... if someone be feelin' creative and have a hand with Photoshop or the like, I be glad teh look at some new designs!

Anyhow, what ye post after yer boardin' notice be up teh you!  Just make sure yer target knows what yer doin' and why.  I like teh add a piratical sort o' image, fer fun, but it's no requirement!  We be free teh do as we please, like real pirates!

Hope this be helpful!!!!!

I'll be addin' me own nominations by this weekend, and we'll be havin' our first collaborative fitness mini startin' Monday!

• Like 2

As Captain Starsapart was inspecting the horizon, she notices a simmering dash of blue on green on the nearby waters. She leaned over the railing, thinking it might be a large fish or dolphin. Suddenly, a great big fish leaped out of the water and over the Sea Witch and back into the water on the other side, but It was no fish, it was a mighty Siren, strong and powerful. 

Sudden horror rushed through the faces of the crew, for only misfortune accompanies such a beast. "Cover ye ears if ye wanna live!!" the Captain screamed to it's crew members. Everyone rushed around in a frenzy, trying to find cover from the mighty beast. The siren leaped once more, flipping gracefully before landing near the starboard railing of the bow. His beautiful shimmering tail resembled that of a dolphin, but with fish scales of iridescent blue and green. As soon as he touched dry land, his tale started morphing into legs with blue/green slacks of the exact same design as his tale. 

By the time he stood up, all guns were pointed at him. He quickly put his hands in the air, "Ahoy, Pirates! I assure you I mean you no harm, I am but a humble siren looking for someplace to rest. I come from a sea tribe many seas away and I am all alone for my people have all been slain by poachers. I simply ask to join you in your travels and in return I can offer much guidance for I am much adept at navigation." 

Starsapart looks skeptically at the siren, unsure of its intentions. "They call me Kenyo, Im from the Caribbean waters near Puerto Rico. I can help with your voyage and any other duties onboard". "I see, ye show must promise to me voyage. Alas, I must discuss with me other captain, DreamPirate, before letting the likes of ya onboard."

The Captains met and debated furiously before returning to him. 

"So, may I stay onboard? Any ship is fine.."

• Like 1

"Returnin' fresh and fruitful from me first boarding party, Cap'n!" 

Tzippi cut a less-than-graceful figure, attempting to skip up the gangplank while carrying a large, shaking barrel, saluting Captain DreamPirate, and blowing a kiss to the newly-rouged figurehead. Reaching the deck, she dropped the barrel, which continued to shake and shiver.

"There be a few pictures and such, but mostly gifs from this take. We'll need to unload 'em, in case this barrel's dancin' gives the gunpowder any ideas. When we stash 'em in safe harbor, do we tell 'em it's from us?" 

• Like 4

As Captain Starsapart was inspecting the horizon, she notices a simmering dash of blue on green on the nearby waters. She leaned over the railing, thinking it might be a large fish or dolphin. Suddenly, a great big fish leaped out of the water and over the Sea Witch and back into the water on the other side, but It was no fish, it was a mighty Siren, strong and powerful. 

Sudden horror rushed through the faces of the crew, for only misfortune accompanies such a beast. "Cover ye ears if ye wanna live!!" the Captain screamed to it's crew members. Everyone rushed around in a frenzy, trying to find cover from the mighty beast. The siren leaped once more, flipping gracefully before landing near the starboard railing of the bow. His beautiful shimmering tail resembled that of a dolphin, but with fish scales of iridescent blue and green. As soon as he touched dry land, his tale started morphing into legs with blue/green slacks of the exact same design as his tale. 

By the time he stood up, all guns were pointed at him. He quickly put his hands in the air, "Ahoy, Pirates! I assure you I mean you no harm, I am but a humble siren looking for someplace to rest. I come from a sea tribe many seas away and I am all alone for my people have all been slain by poachers. I simply ask to join you in your travels and in return I can offer much guidance for I am much adept at navigation." 

Starsapart looks skeptically at the siren, unsure of its intentions. "They call me Kenyo, Im from the Caribbean waters near Puerto Rico. I can help with your voyage and any other duties onboard". "I see, ye show must promise to me voyage. Alas, I must discuss with me other captain, DreamPirate, before letting the likes of ya onboard."

The Captains met and debated furiously before returning to him. 

"So, may I stay onboard? Any ship is fine.."

Ahoy, mateys!

I regret to tell yeh that I be jumpin' ship... The lass Academia is callin' me name, an' I've no choice but to follow. Good luck on yer journeys!

starsapart gave the siren another considering look before saying, "I'm a progressive sort - I'm not strictly opposed to bein' an equal-opportunity employer, as they say.  I sailed with menfolk me first turn out teh sea - most stay clear o' us, but not all, so..."

She looked over at DreamPirate, who had been called over at the arrival of the siren.  "What say ye?  I know ye lost a member o' yer crew teh the dreaded Academia not so long ago.  I'm thinkin' ye could use an extra pair o' hands, if ye're willin' teh take this one aboard.  I'm also thinkin' he'll be a useful sort teh have about, so if'n ye don't fancy it, I'll take him on meself."

JamieLiz, school definitely comes first - good luck with all scholarly endeavors!!!

An Kenyo, I've placed you with the Barmaid - welcome aboard!  Scroll up and participate in the first (simple) mini, and we'll have more coming next week!

• Like 4

I've enjoyed readin' all th' beautiful prose from me shipmates. Sorry t' say I won't be addin' to the story me-self. This pirate is more suited t' sittin' quietly in th' galley, sippin' her rum, listenin' to her shipmates tell their tales of adventures on th' high seas.

• Like 6

I'll be sitting at the table with the other non-writers for the moment. Though I love reading your entries, this lass be a might inept at expressing herself. I have set aside 1 hour on the next day O' the Sun for posting and mini-questing. Should just get me on time with them. 'Arrrrr ;-)

• Like 1

Yer all right, lasses.  Ye participate teh the extent of yer comfort level!  We're glad teh have ye here!

We can all encourage our fine fellow rebels, with or without writin' story, aye? :pirate:

• Like 4

I promise teh try n make a reply tomorrow. Been caught up with school and cross stitching, lol. Tomorrow be a day of cleanin and late work, but I promise teh try!

• Like 3