Queen of Denial.  That's me.  I'm really good at denying the obvious in my life.  Looming work deadline? Time for the house to get really clean! No cash flow? Time to go out drinking! Obese, sedentary, unhealthy? Time to watch more tv and snack and never get out of my jammies!

You would have thought I would have changed my health habits last year when I suffered as I watched my father slowly, painfully die as a direct result of his denial of his own health problems.  But noooooo. I mean, I figured I needed to lose weight as I hit 250 and had trouble walking a set of stairs, but really, it could wait because a doctor, 30 years ago, told me I was healthy and didn't need to lose weight. As I said, Queen of Denial.

That all changed on October 2nd.  That day, I got the results of some tests from the first checkup I'd had in 15 years or more. (Yay, Obamacare!) And they weren't good - elevated cholesterol levels and Type II Diabetes. Suddenly, forcefully, I confronted the consequences of my own denial. I faced the same miserable, slow death my father put himself through.

That day, I made the decision to change my life. That day, I decided to do a kitchen purge of all sugary and simple carbohydrate filled food.  That day, I decided to go for a walk.  That day, I decided that I mattered.  That day, I decided to put myself as my highest priority.

So here we are, 5 weeks later, and I am totally surprised at the changes I am already seeing.  I've dropped 8 pounds. I've lowered my blood sugar 100 points. I don't pant when I walk up the ramp from my home to the parking lot. Huh. That was easy. 

I've set a goal to lose a total of 65 pounds over the next year.  I've set a goal to go skiing at least 10 times this winter and stay out all day.  I've set a goal to get off the medications by October 2 next year.  I've set a goal to do things to better myself every day, physically, mentally, emotionally.

I look forward to hearing from all of you and to cheering you on in your epic journeys to health! 

PS - I may be a self-professed nerd, but I don't know how to code. Can someone please tell me how to put one of those progress bars in my posts?

• Like 2

Welcome aboard.  Great start!  

I know only too well the denial cycle.  Having a number of health related issues in my family, I should have known better, but I didn't.  Even after seeing what happened to multiple family members, I always kept saying, "Not me" and "I'll worry about it later" (yes the nasty procrastinator monster is a regular in my house too).  I hope you do well in everything.  

• Like 1

Level 1 - Were-gator

STR .8 | STA 3.1 | DEX .9 | CON .7 | WIS 2 | CHA .9

1st Challenge

Main goal - 12/15/14 - Get to 175 pounds from 195 pounds.  Currently at 184.5

52.5%
52.5%

No soda challenge - 12/15/14 - 99 days and counting to 180.

55%
55%

"Stop beating yourself up.  You are a work in progress; which means you get there a little at a time, not all at once." - unknown

Yaay, it sounds like you've made some great changes that are working! Well done! It can be difficult to figure out what needs to change and how to change it until you have some data like test results.

Sometimes my computer misbehaves and I double-post too. It's no biggie, happens a lot.

• Like 1

Level 2 Elf Assassin

Str: 4 | Dex: 5 | Sta: 3 | Con: 2 | Wis: 4 | Cha: 3

"When people called me freak, I closed my eyes and laughed, because they were blind to happiness." --hide

First challenge! Second challenge! Third challenge!

Hey fellow! :)

My deepest condolences for the loss of your father :(

It's great that you now finally see how important a healthy lifestyle is and you already took a huge step forward! Woot! for that :) Congrats!

I also welcome you to our awesome community of lovely, encouraging and advice giving people! I tell you, I am with this community for one year now and from day to day I am more happy about being here :)

*going to see if you already set up a challenge*

• Like 1

"The purpose of life is to be happy." - Tendzin Gyatsho, the 14th Dalai Lama 

Character