Tankgrrl - Shooting for the moon, landing among the stars

TankGrrl

Watch this space... coming

Okay one super challenge coming right up. My last challenge was an entree, a little taster to get me in the mood. I wasn't very disciplined and I didn't hold myself accountable for much. I still see at as a success because I'm in a lot better place than I was motivation wise now.

Variety is the spice of life

I have been reading Mark's Daily Apple again regularly and I'm a big fan of his exercise philosophy. Of course it is similar to Steve's philosophy of... have some fun!!

I have joined a gym near my work and I plan to work my way through all the classes and do something different every time I'm there. I'm not in the mood for a rigid workout plan right now, I just want to get moving regularly in all sorts of a different ways. So far I've used the treadmills, the bikes and done a class that uses the barbell to do squats, presses etc along to music. I really enjoyed that even though I couldn't walk properly for a week after the first session I did (even with only using 1.25kg plates on the bar). The second time I did it was a lot better though. I also have kettlebells at home and I have the Zombies Run! app, so whether I'm running, swimming, lifting or cycling I have no excuse not to be doing something.

3 exercise activities a week, moving slowly, sometimes fast.

Scoring will be a simple pass or fail for the week

Running on clean fuel

Okay so I want to lose some body fat (don't we all). I am currently 86.6 kg and my big goal would be to get under 70kg, but that is a side effect of my actions, not an action itself. Losing it is 80% what I eat so I will be eating 80% primal. No processed junk, no soft drink.

I will be using to MFP to log as much as I can and I will use the following guidelines to aim for:

<150g of carbs per day

>100g of protein

<1500 cals

Superhero skills level up

This one is actually a 12 week challenge but the first half will fall during this challenge so I will roll it in here.

I will be learning to speak Cantonese. My goal is to be fluent enough to hold a conversation in 12 weeks. In order to do this I will be:

- 2 hours of one on one tutoring on italki.com

- 1 hour per day of practice

Score log:

Exercise sessions:  0/3 - 0/3 - 0/3 - 0/3 - 0/3 - 0/3 - 0/42

80% Primal days:  0/7 - 0/7 - 0/7 - 0/7 - 0/7 - 0/7 - 0/42

Cantonese 1 hr sessions:  0/7 - 0/7 - 0/7 - 0/7 - 0/7 - 0/7 - 0/42

Ready. Set. Go!

• Like 1

Level 10 - Ironborn sellsword        Weight loss goal: 90kg --> 70kg      Endurance goal: non-stop 5km       Power goal: 10 full form pushups

Find me: My Fitness Pal | Fitbit | Feb 16 challenge

"I don't want to have a dozen sons. I want to have adventures" ~ Asha Greyjoy

Good luck with whatever your plans may be!

Tank Girl! :D

Hi guys *waves*

Well I am so excited to get started that I have started a little early and am following my goals already. I made my first commitment and spent $100 on credit for italki (the website I will use for language tutoring). The money is spent so there is no procrastinating now. I booked a trial 1/2 hour session for this afternoon, told my GF and my Mum that we had to be home in time for my booked lesson, and then the tutor didn't show Grrrrrrrr

I will not be defeated though so I immediately booked another trial with a different teacher for tomorrow night. I have a better feeling about this one.

Plus, my gym gear is all packed ready to take to work tomorrow and Wednesday.

I did alright with food today, I shunned the bread offered with dinner and stuck to meat and salad. I even went to the cinema to see Interstellar and didn't have a single piece of popcorn (OMG I love popcorn)

On the life front, I am trying to buy a house right now. The loan is approved and we are good to go. The market is crazy at the moment and houses go under contract as soon as they are advertised. We have one the the gf and I are really interested in so we're going to get off work early and go see it. Fingers and toes crossed that it's a good one.

Level 10 - Ironborn sellsword        Weight loss goal: 90kg --> 70kg      Endurance goal: non-stop 5km       Power goal: 10 full form pushups

http://youtu.be/N7Ty8HoIEEg

It bit of a motivational vid I saw today.

I think (maybe) I have found my protein powder of choice. I've tried a couple and found them to be either disgusting or disruptive of my usual bowel rhythm shall we say.

Anyway, I tried again and bought a small tub of Aussie Bodies Perfect Protein (Vanilla). It claims to be all natural with nothin artificial and is a whey protein. I made some pancakes with it for breakfast this morning and they were awesome. Not grainy or fake at all.

Recipe:

1 egg beaten

1 banana mashed

1/4 perfect protein powder

Mix it all up and cook until brown on each side like a pancake. I added a dozen or so blueberries yummo! Makes about 4 small pancakes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I love the zombies, run! app (I just have the 5k one for now, I'm buying the next one when I finish that as a reward). Nothing gets you running like the fear of being attacked by a zombie!

I also like the not sticking to a rigid plan. I don't like rigid plans which is why I always stick to my own using information either sourced on NF or other places on the internet I can trust (and occasionally from programmes that other people trust like YAYOG and Starting Strength) and on what I actually enjoy doing. No point doing something you aren't happy with!

Good luck with Catonese. I want to learn another language but I have a hard time deciding what!

Great challenge; good luck!

Current Challenge

Previous challenges:7, 6 5, 4,  3. 2, 1

I am the one thing in life I can control

Currently waiting for my first Cantonese lesson to start....

I did a Zombies run mission today at lunch time, 4km, ran most of it so I'm pretty chuffed with that. It's been a while since I went running.

I practiced some Cantonese tones on my flashcard app on my phone on the train home. Other passengers must have thought I was mad, muttering to myself. "M Goi, sik, sik, yueng" lol

Plus... I found a cafe that does a decent chicken and avocado salad for $5.50. That is half the price of most cafes near my inner city workplace. Plenty of meat in it too, I hate it when all the good ingredients have been strategically placed on the top and there is actually no protein in it. Over priced salad leaves me hungry again and hour later :-)

• Like 1

Plus... I found a cafe that does a decent chicken and avocado salad for $5.50. That is half the price of most cafes near my inner city workplace. Plenty of meat in it too, I hate it when all the good ingredients have been strategically placed on the top and there is actually no protein in it. Over priced salad leaves me hungry again and hour later :-)

Nice. I have a place that does a chicken salad for . . . EIGHT DOLLARS! Ugh. And it's just costco bagged lettuce and a chicken patty. They do use really good ranch dressing, though. It's my emergency only! lunch. 

I'm really curious: I'm a language teacher myself (English foreign language) and I uber curious abou WHY cantonese? Is ur gf chinese? Are you going to China? Why not mandarin? So many questions haaha

The first question I ask all my students is why do you want to learn English. People study foreign languages for the most varied (and often amising) reasons. So I'm genuinely curious about this!

"Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself." - W. Faulkner

Hi Tess, Cantonese may seem like a random choice but there is method behind my madness.

My gf's family speak it at home. In fact her parents have very limited English despite living in Australia for over 30 years. I am very often sitting at a dinner table surrounded by people chatting away in Cantonese and having no idea what is being said. It's a burden on my gf to have to translate everything for me so I only get the highlights at the end.

Five years ago when I first met my gf I promised to learn so that she could show her family what a wonderful catch I was lol. I made a start, learning to count and the few odd words. I soon found the tones made life very hard and essentially gave up. But that was BNF ("Before Nerd Fitness") and the power of awesome challenges.

You do hear Cantonese being spoken a lot though. Once you understand the difference with Mandarin you hear it everywhere. Maybe in a couple of years once I'm amazingly fluent in Cantonese, I will learn Mandarin. The transition should be easier given the similarities of structure and tone etc.

• Like 1

Good luck on your challenge. The Cantonese sounds really hard.  Once I thought about learning Japanese, but really I want to learn to read Japanese, and apparently thats more difficult.  Have you seen this thing where you ride the bike and lift weights at the same time. Supposed to be be really hard.  

And remember if you fall short, there are no stars between the earth and the moon. Its kind of just dead space. But theres a lot of space junk out there to play with. =)

• Like 1

2nd First Quest  | 3rd Quest | 4th Quest | 5th Quest | 6th

Epic progress bar of epicness.

92%
92%

Let's face it, I'm fairly epic. 

Five years ago when I first met my gf I promised to learn so that she could show her family what a wonderful catch I was lol. I made a start, learning to count and the few odd words. I soon found the tones made life very hard and essentially gave up. But that was BNF ("Before Nerd Fitness") and the power of awesome challenges.

*Five years ago* hahaha

Ah, la belle raison! You know what, you should totally go ahead and freaking learn it! Five years, you could have been really quite fluent by now. Five years from now, what are you going to tell your in-laws? Or if you have children (I take you are a boy, not so much for the having a girlfriend, which defines nothing, but you sound like one, inspite the tank girl screen name), you really think they're not going to learn their granparents language? Do you really want to be in a situation in which you don't understand anything as the twins make fun of you in the supermarket, where there might be some cantonese speaking chinese around? :)

Remeber to increase your contact with the language (besides the time you have with your tutor), read something (comics? newspaper? anything), or watch some TV or simply ask a child to teach you some funny words (they are more patient with this stuff). Anything will help things go smoother!

"Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself." - W. Faulkner

@jdk: Ahhh but what if I shoot for the moon miss and just keep right on going. Soaring through space, exploring strange new worlds, new civilisations and going where no (wo)man has gone before??

@Tess: You're right, 5 years is terrible! time to make some serious progress on this goal. I'd love to have some rug rats, but I'd love to show my little nieces and nephew that anyone can learn anything if they put their mind to it.

p.s. All woman over here, with boobs and everything. I'm not sure what I write that makes me sounds like a guy other than the heteronormative society that we live in, but I just happen to be a lady loving lady :-)

Update time!

Tuesday I made a bad decision. Totally my fault. There is a new burger place that opened right by my work and I had said that I would try it out with a work friend. That's not so bad, I can totally eat a burger without a bun for a good primal meal.But what did I do? order the most ridiculously huge burger on the menu and eat the bloomin lot...with chips. My stomach told me that it hated me within an hour.

That evening I went for a pub dinner with family (yes the Cantonese speaking in laws again, whom I wowed with my new skill of saying "neigh chi-tsin" = "you crazy")

I ordered a simple steak and veg but could barely touch it as I was still full from from lunch.

Wednesday I felt depressed. I was tired and I could barely motivate myself to do anything at work. It was like I was swimming through willpower quicksand. I blame the overeating the day before. My stomach is directly linked to my willpower muscle. Oh and guess what? I skipped the gym too. I suck.

One bad day does not ruin my challenge though, 'tis a mere flesh wound!

I'm functioning on 5 hours sleep today so it's going to be tough on the will power but that's just more reason to eat clean.

2 eggs and a chorizo sausage for breakfast... bring on the rest of the day!

• Like 1

I attended a crazy cardio class at the gym today +1 for variety. Lots of jumping eft and right

• Like 1

tumblr_mkrfuaGfbl1s3th1uo1_500.gif

If only this was the music they used instead of that crappy techno duf duf!

I would time warp my way to weight loss

• Like 1

I aced my food goal yesterday and hit 100g of protein and 100g carbs. In spite of the fact that I started the day with a can of energy drink (boo hiss).

Second Cantonese lesson last night! A full hour this time. Doing it at 10pm was tough especially as I was on minimum sleep and a tough day at work. My dumb brain started to give up on me halfway through and I couldn't even recall words I had just learnt a couple of minute before. I will practice extra hard before Sunday to make sure I stick at this. I've committed to three lessons a week so the pace is going to be super fast.

Fai de la! Fai de la! ("hurry up, hurry up")

Bring it on!

I looked for what I thought made you sound like a guy but I just think I was... Uhm... Hetenormative :) and a bit chauvinist too as the fact that you're buying a house makes you sound like a guy. What can I say, I was raised in this society and I am vigilant (and militant) but I'm also human and sometimes I'm in the wrong. Sorry 'bout that!

"boobs and all" hahaha!!

Don't be too upset about the bad days, the goal is consistency, not perfection, right.

I was away for the weekend so my weekly roundup is a day late, but here we go....

*newsflash* On Saturday I started to get a headache, then felt faint. By dinnertime I was shivering like a leaf and feeling really sick. I

Exercise sessions:  2/3

Zombie run on Monday and the crazy jumping around cardio class on Thursday. I was intending to do another class on Friday but skipped it because I was really busy at work. It's been a fairly active week, but could do better.

80% Primal days:  5/7

I'm getting there. I've made some bad choices this week but nothing too devastating. No senseless snacking. For example, we stopped at a bakery for lunch twice this weekend. What is a primal gal supposed to do in a bakery?

Then because I've been sick for the last 2 days, I've barely eaten anything.

Cantonese 1 hr sessions:  5/7

I had my first lesson on Tuesday, then my second on Thursday. I was a bit nervous but I did it anyway. I had to cancel my planned Sunday session because I got sick but I hope I will be feeling better for tomorrows. I've learned that I really need to practice with my flashcards between lessons in order to build on what I have learnt next time. I estimate that I've spent about 5 hours this week practicing and doing the lessons. Next week I want to get a good routine going where I update my flashcards straight away and practice on the train the next day.

Not a full score this week so there is room for improvement.

Round up for the week?

How's the start of week two going? 

I think that should be your name instead of Tankgrrl... Boobs'n'all :tongue:

Lol this is why I need you around WCG! to nag me into posting

I was actually in Canberra all weekend with my Mum. We took a tour of Parliament house and did the national museum. Of course Canberra was deserted more than usual because anyone that is anyone has gone to the G20 in Brisbane

but, but, but.. my scumbag body has picked up some virus so I am completely exhausted like I've just ran 10 marathons. I'm sick, poor me  :grey:

Hey, just decided to come check out some of the adventurers, as that's what I'm after once I get the first challenge finished! I saw your username and couldn't resist!

I'm sorry you're sick. That really sucks. Feel better!

Also, would you recommend italki? I'm learning Korean, and despite living in Korea, I'm still completely useless(read as: terrified) speaking to anyone with any confidence. I'll be following you! Keep going!

Ares Pandora,
level 4 Mutant Scout
STR: 7 | DEX 2 | STA 8 | CON 9 | WIS 5 | CHA 4

Challenges:

1 | 2 | 2.1 | 3 | 4

Also, would you recommend italki? I'm learning Korean, and despite living in Korea, I'm still completely useless(read as: terrified) speaking to anyone with any confidence. I'll be following you! Keep going!

I would recommend it. The teacher I am using is a professional, speaks very good English and has materials for me to use. It will really help with your speaking and it is so much cheaper than getting the equivalent lessons face to face in my own country.

The cost varys depending on the teacher but mine is costing $100 for 10 x 1 hour sessions which I think is dirt cheap.

• Like 1