• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

BarefootDawsy

Nerd to 5k (N25k)

Greetings Rebels!

This thread is for anyone who wants to start running during this challenge. Taking those first steps can be tricky, so it's good to have some other folks around to help pull you through.

There's something magical about reaching 5k for the first time though. Once you've made it, then you're really a runners, and you'll never look at the world the same again.

If you need help getting started, I've just uploaded the latest and greatest tool to help you go from 0 to 5k running in just six weeks, the Nerd to 5k program! Otherwise, there are other good guides and programs out there so ask away if you're having trouble finding the best one for you.

I'll be following this thread in case you have any questions, and I'll add some tips and trips to help make your transition to running as easy and painless as possible.

Happy running!

BFD

• Like 2

Is the N25k program suitable for an older runner wannabe?

I'm a 56 yo female with no known health issues (other than being ~ 25 - 30 lbs. overweight). I walk regularly at about a 3.5 mph pace. I'd like to start working into running now that the weather has cooled down in my area.

Should I plan to take longer or is it mainly a matter of pacing myself within the program as given?

• Like 1

Is the N25k program suitable for an older runner wannabe?

I'm a 56 yo female with no known health issues (other than being ~ 25 - 30 lbs. overweight). I walk regularly at about a 3.5 mph pace. I'd like to start working into running now that the weather has cooled down in my area.

Should I plan to take longer or is it mainly a matter of pacing myself within the program as given?

The intervals as listed should be fine for you, though you can always do the running bits at a nice slow pace that feels comfortable to you. Worst case scenario, you may not quite make 5k, but you should get close. The 5k mark should be attainable at a running pace of 7.5 km/h (4.66 mph). Walking components should be completed at a brisk, but comfortable walking pace.

As with any sort of exercise, if you have any health concerns, you may want to run it past your doctor, though this is a pretty standard progression, so most people shouldn't have much trouble with it.

Hope this helps!

• Like 2

Thanks! I'll give it a go and see how the progression works for me.

If I need to repeat a few workouts here and there such that it takes me more than six weeks, it's no problem. I'm mainly looking to level up my endurance overall. I'll hold off signing up for races anytime soon! :)

• Like 1

BFD - From your user name, I would assume that you do barefoot running. Any good resources you would recommend on that topic? Is that something that will be discussed here?

I have some Vibrams and I wear them all the time. Love them. Glad I can wear unconventional footwear at work. :)

• Like 1

Yep, been running barefoot for 4(?) years now, and sure, what better place to discuss it :)

That's cool that you can wear Vibrams at work. How are you finding them? I started out in Vibrams too...still wear my SeeYas from time to time.

As for resources, there's a fair bit out there these days. There are quite a few topics here already, so a bit of searching should be quite helpful. Otherwise, you can check out my blog at beginningbarefoot.com. For technique, the Barefoot Running Book by Jason Robillard is great as is Barefoot Running Step by Step by Ken Saxton.

I'm happy to answer any questions you have anytime too :)

• Like 1

I'm using the Zombie 5k app to start my transition from all walking to running. Just finished the 2nd ep this morning :). Thanks for the reminder about layering up BFD it worked much better and I didn't get too hot.

Right now I'm using a pair of shoes w/ an 8mm drop and I'm planning on decreasing the drop with my next pair. I'd like to work up to at least minimalist shoes but after years of wearing super supportive shoes I'm worried about making a drastic change right off. I'll take a closer look at your blog and the resources that you suggest. Hopefully I can come up with a sensible plan that works with all my other stuff.

I'm using the Zombie 5k app to start my transition from all walking to running. Just finished the 2nd ep this morning :). Thanks for the reminder about layering up BFD it worked much better and I didn't get too hot.

Right now I'm using a pair of shoes w/ an 8mm drop and I'm planning on decreasing the drop with my next pair. I'd like to work up to at least minimalist shoes but after years of wearing super supportive shoes I'm worried about making a drastic change right off. I'll take a closer look at your blog and the resources that you suggest. Hopefully I can come up with a sensible plan that works with all my other stuff.

Glad it worked for you. You're wise to take your time transitioning to lower drop shoes most injuries in minimal shoe runners come from people making the switch too quickly.

Love Zombies, Run too. I'm using it for my 5k work this challenge as well :)

• Like 1

Glad it worked for you. You're wise to take your time transitioning to lower drop shoes most injuries in minimal shoe runners come from people making the switch too quickly.

Love Zombies, Run too. I'm using it for my 5k work this challenge as well :)

Hmmm on the note of transitioning shoes, how often should a person change out shoes? I've heard something about 500 miles running. I'm pretty sure my current shoes are past that but most of the mileage has been from walking. Does walking vs. running make a difference in how much mileage a shoe can take?

Hmmm on the note of transitioning shoes, how often should a person change out shoes? I've heard something about 500 miles running. I'm pretty sure my current shoes are past that but most of the mileage has been from walking. Does walking vs. running make a difference in how much mileage a shoe can take?

Good question! This is a point of contention in the running community. Conventional wisdom suggests that you replace your shoes somewhere between 400 and 500 miles, however, yes, this does depend on their use. 

For walking, you can get away with wearing your shoes longer, because the impact forces are considerably less. In fact, wearing 'worn'out' shoes can actually reduce blistering and help in strengthening your lower limbs. 

Running, however is a different story... 

If you're a habitual heel-striker, then in most cases, you will be reliant on the padding afforded by the wedge of EVA foam that they use to form a wedge at the heel. This foam reduces the impact forces somewhat, allowing you to keep running safely. When this wedge gets worn down, you lose what little protection that it has to offer, creating a potential for injury. (Note that more padding isn't always the answer either as it introduces instability, but I digress...)

If you're a midfoot or forefoot runner, whether you're running in minimal shoes or not, you have an advantage. You are no longer reliant on a wedge of foam for cushioning, so assuming you're taking care of your legs with good running form, consistent training, etc, you can theoretically run your shoes to rags without trouble.

I would suggest taking a look at the wear patterns on your shoes. If you've got big slopes in the sole, where the tread has been worn down unevenly, then look at replacing them. If, however, you have an even wear pattern, and still have rubber on the soles, and they're comfortable to wear, then keep wearing them.

There's not a lot of research in this area unfortunately, so most of what I've said above is my own view from reading running forums and books, and from my own experience.

I've only thrown away 1 pair of shoes since I started running in minimal shoes - my original Vibram KSOs. That was after 2.5 years running 20+ km per week (~2500km), and even then I would have kept wearing them, but they weren't comfortable anymore because my feet got bigger.

Well by my totally untrained eye it looks like the wear is pretty even but mostly on the forefoot. I figured a picture was worth 1k words so here's the bottom of my shoes :D.

2014 11 09 Tread

Well by my totally untrained eye it looks like the wear is pretty even but mostly on the forefoot. I figured a picture was worth 1k words so here's the bottom of my shoes :D.

Yep, the tread wear looks fine to me too, so really, the only question you need to ask yourself is 'are they still comfortable?'. Sometimes you can start to get a bit of rubbing/blistering once the shoes loosen up, and you may need to check your lacing. If they feel ok though, you should be fine to press on. :)

• Like 1

Yep, the tread wear looks fine to me too, so really, the only question you need to ask yourself is 'are they still comfortable?'. Sometimes you can start to get a bit of rubbing/blistering once the shoes loosen up, and you may need to check your lacing. If they feel ok though, you should be fine to press on. :)

They're still pretty comfy but the other day I had a problem with my little toe on my right foot rubbing against the toe next to it. It didn't get to the actual blister stage but it was a bit tender for the rest of the day. I'm pretty sure I can snug up the laces some if needed.

You probably don't need to go this far, but while we're on about lacing, here's a few alternatives that can be worth a try. I have used #6 with some success in the past...

You are just a font of fabulously useful information!! I'll have to try them and see if one feels better.

LOL, nothing wrong with that! You have to do what you love, right? If running's your thing then more power to you. I don't think I'll ever aim for a HM or Marathon but I'm finding it fun, more fun then I thought I would.

• Like 1

LOL, nothing wrong with that! You have to do what you love, right? If running's your thing then more power to you. I don't think I'll ever aim for a HM or Marathon but I'm finding it fun, more fun then I thought I would.

I used to tihnk the same thing... :) You never know! The main thing is to enjoy it...once you reach the point where you can run 5k without much trouble, the whole running thing becomes MUCH easier, and way more enjoyable. It took me about 10 years and 20 tries to get the hang of becoming a 'runner', but am so glad that I eventually got the knack.

• Like 1

I used to tihnk the same thing... :) You never know! The main thing is to enjoy it...once you reach the point where you can run 5k without much trouble, the whole running thing becomes MUCH easier, and way more enjoyable. It took me about 10 years and 20 tries to get the hang of becoming a 'runner', but am so glad that I eventually got the knack.

We'll see what happens, I figure it's best to start small and see where it goes. I also have to be careful of my breathing because aggravating my asthma is not fun. I'm just glad it's well enough controlled these days that I rarely have issues. I've been half tempted to skip ahead in the 5k app because of how easy it is but I'm pretty sure it would be a bad idea. I'm guessing that walking doesn't condition your legs the same way as running and I'd rather not screw myself over by going too far/fast too quickly.

Yep asthma sucks big time. Definitely don't skip ahead. Your body will thank you for the extra easy mileage before it starts getting too hard.

Considering I'm a severe asthmatic (was tested for CF when I was young), I totally agree with the suckage. That's what I kinda was thinking about the mileage. It makes more sense to go slow just like any other progression in a new exercise. I figure take the time to focus on good form and breathing and it will get more challenging as I go.

• Like 1

Checking in. I've had to lay off the program for the last two weeks and will be off another week or two because of a knee problem.

My trainer's working with me on it, and it's healing up well, so I'm hopeful I'll be able to ramp back up fairly well and soon. I've been doing some exercise bicycling and walking the past week, and will be very gradually increasing that as the knee allows, so I shouldn't have to start completely back at square one. (Was starting week four when the problems started.)

I'm missing it! But, I'm being good about my trainer's instructions. Left to my own devices, I would have started back by now - as soon as the knee started feeling better - and I would have really made a mess of it!

Checking in. I've had to lay off the program for the last two weeks and will be off another week or two because of a knee problem.

My trainer's working with me on it, and it's healing up well, so I'm hopeful I'll be able to ramp back up fairly well and soon. I've been doing some exercise bicycling and walking the past week, and will be very gradually increasing that as the knee allows, so I shouldn't have to start completely back at square one. (Was starting week four when the problems started.)

I'm missing it! But, I'm being good about my trainer's instructions. Left to my own devices, I would have started back by now - as soon as the knee started feeling better - and I would have really made a mess of it!

Well that's no good! Hope you have a speedy recovery. 

• Like 1