• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Ok so some changes are going on for me. I am settling into my life here on the farm. My work as a Homecare Area Coordinator is taking off and doing well. The bus now picks my kids up from the front gate. I have a new phone so I can get reception at home. I am getting back on track with my healthy living. I have updated my profile, with a new picture and a new description. Part of the description are from my daily affirmations. I am going back to Thom from Tomas, the latter doesn't sit well with me for some reason. 

Over the past couple of challenges as I have been trying to get back into things I have been trying to workout ways to well, workout. This challenge I am going to try going 'primal'. I am using the basic exercise guide from Primal guru, Mark Sisson. I am using this article as the basis for my routine. So one day of sprinting, two days of heavy lifting and one day of Hiit. At this stage I am looking at Monday Sprints, Tuesday strength, Thursday Hiit, and Saturday strength.

Sprints will be done up my driveway. Mark suggests 6 by 50 metre sprints with a few warm up jogs before hand. So that is the plan with these. The Hiit workout will be Burpees. I do actually enjoy burpees [yes I am a sick and twisted individual, and your point is?] so having a workout that focusses solely on them is a cool idea. Besides eight sets of burpees has to count as High intensity. I am looking at either doing a 30 second on and 30-60second off for eight sets. Or simply eight max rep sets with a minute in between. 

For my strength training I plan to do a combination of bodyweight, kettlebell and hammer exercises. I have missed the kettlebell and hammer work over the last challenge so I want to get back into them. Although my left elbow is still proving to be a nuisance and not liking pushing exercises. 

I am walking the kids to the front gate to catch the bus most mornings and afternoons. So I am still getting my driveway walks in, albeit at a slower pace keeping up with my Elaina who is six. 

With the new phone [iPhone 5S] I can get decent reception once again and can access MyFitnessPal without the much trouble. So I am tracking my food intake again. I am focussing more on my Macros rather than total caloric intake. I have been eating too many carbs over the past couple of months and need to cut them back. So MFP is back in. With weekly average Macros goals of Carbs 35%, Fats 35% and Protein 30%.

I am also doing the Rangers mini challenges as always and the next installment of the RPG Fanatics Daemon Slaying adventure. 

• Like 6

What's wrong with burpees? That does not make one sick! Unless I'm sick, too...uh, well..Okay, maybe we both are.

But here's something for those who don't like the best exercise ever created...

gallery_17054_1285_63263.jpg

Great challenge! So glad things are going well. Your new place sounds absolutely wonderful.

• Like 2

Let's list the scores for those goals out. 

Primal Cardio - Stamina

Critical Hit: 12 cardio sessions [6 sprint sessions, and 6 Hiit sessions] 4pts

Hit: 9+ cardio sessions [any combination] 3pts

Block: 6+ cardio sessions [any combination] 2pts

Dodge 3+ cardio sessions [any combination] 1pt

Miss: 2 or less cardio sessions 0pts

Primal Strength - Strength

Critical Hit: 12 strength sessions 4pts

Hit: 9+ strength sesssions 3pts

Block: 6+ strength sessions 2pts

Dodge: 3+ strength sessions 1pt

Miss: 2 or less strength sessions 0pts

Macros Targeting - Constitution and Wisdom

Critical Hit: 42 records 4pts

Hit: 36+ records 3pts

Block: 24+ records 2pts

Dodge: 9+ records 1pt

Miss: 8 or less records 0pts

Macros Bonus - Constitution

Death Blow: Hitting macros target weekly average 4-6 times 2pts

Knock Down: Hitting macros target weekly average 1-3 times 1pt

Trip over own Feet: missing the macros weekly target average. 0pts

My last point will be for the RPG Fanatics challenge as always, and any points awarded for the Ranger mini challenges are additional as always.

Oh and I am allowing substitutions. such as running around the playground with the kids, an hour in the garden, running my driveway, or any other activity that gets my heart rate up and leaves me a bit short of breath.

• Like 3

Following fellow fanatic :) (I need to make burpees a part of a challenge...just as soon as I get coordinated enough to do one!)

• Like 1

I think I know what inspired your scoring system...It was a military guy a couple challenges back right?? (Doing pullups and stuff to prepare for a big PT test...he killed that challenge, and you will kill this one). I think it's great, and I'm glad you are trying it out.

Love the driveway sprints, and hope you have a great week!

• Like 3

So week one ended up a washout for me. 

Did my sprints Monday morning within half an hour I could barely walk. My left achilles tendon swelled up like a balloon. Not fun. 

So that takes sprints off the menu. Need to find time to harass a quack for a medical opinion on the ankle, which still aches every now and then. 

So far one sprint for cardio. 1 out of 2.

No strength workouts. 0 out of 2.

I have been recording my intake over the past week, with the exception of Friday and Saturday. So 5 out of 7 for this goal.

Yes Xena, I totally reaved my scoring from Quickdraw. It is a lot more fun than letters or percentages. 

• Like 3

so sorry to hear about the Achilles! There isn't a lot of blood flow to that area, so it generally heals slowly. That is one injury you don't want to push. Can you still do the burpees if you modify (not jumping)?

• Like 1

so sorry to hear about the Achilles! There isn't a lot of blood flow to that area, so it generally heals slowly. That is one injury you don't want to push.

This^

It would appear that someone or something is out to test your patience and endurance, but I know there's plenty of that in you. Be strong like the mighty oak, my friend

• Like 1

so sorry to hear about the Achilles! There isn't a lot of blood flow to that area, so it generally heals slowly. That is one injury you don't want to push. Can you still do the burpees if you modify (not jumping)?

Ouch.  Mine have been bugging me too - so I've been careful and easing off on some exercises.  Hope you bounce back quickly!!!  

• Like 1

Thankyou everyone. Reading all of this reminds me of why I love NF. 

Well a week two wrap up is overdue. Well I guess I am going more to the Primal ideal for exercise rather than the 'basic' plan. My exercising has been sporadic and occuring at different times. Basically over week two my workouts consisted of kettlebell routines and nothing else. I got three sessions in over week two. 

Apart kettlebell swings no other cardio is being done. Nor am I doing burpees. The achilles tendon has continued to ache on and off for the past couple of weeks, time to see a quack I think. 

So for my Primal challenge I am counting the kettlebell work as strength workouts that is 3 out of 2 workouts here. 

Primal cardio is 0 for 2 workouts. 

Macros Targeting has been my strongest part of this challenge. 7 out of 7 days recorded for week two.

My macros percentages are Carbs 44%, Protein 26% and Fats 30%. Getting closer to my ideal target here. Still no wins on this part yet. It is all about getting the carbs below that 40% mark. 

Now the other issue I have is internet access. The joys of living on a farm is that we can not get cable broadband as we are too far from the node [over 10km/6.2mi]. Because of the Australian Governments NBN scheme no company is currently offering satellite internet [we would have to have paid for a satellite dish to be installed]. So currently we are using mobile broadband through the family iPad. Which only gives us a 10gb per month plan. Yay, not. After that we pay $10 per gig, this is upload and download total. 

There is a possible light at the end of the tunnel for us, the NBN is now available in our village [yay for being halfway between Sydney and Melbourne]. So if an antenna erected on our house can 'see' the NBN tower 10km away we will have broadband. Fingers crossed. 

• Like 3

As my kettlebell workouts are a combination of strength and cardio I am going to modify my challenge to four kettlebell workouts per week, to get the points. I am currently doing swings, squats, curls and rows with my kettlebell. No breaks between exercises, short break between sets [30 seconds], 3 sets in total. 

• Like 3

As my kettlebell workouts are a combination of strength and cardio I am going to modify my challenge to four kettlebell workouts per week, to get the points. I am currently doing swings, squats, curls and rows with my kettlebell. No breaks between exercises, short break between sets [30 seconds], 3 sets in total. 

anyone who has ever done kettlebell swings i think would be all for counting them as cardio as well as strength 

• Like 2

Quick wrap up here. The Primal exercise anytime idea, didn't really work for me. I need a plan and a routine and a means of accountability to successfully exercise. So now I need to get back on track with the NF challenges and make NF time a priority on my limited net availability. 

• Like 2