• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

I was going to make photos of the clay and the exercises for Nyxy, obax! So I hope to get around to that tonight and then I can show you too!

The Fjallraven is a hiking trek through the north of Sweden where you have to navigate on your own and make your own camp. You have to go to checkpoints and you earn a medal if you make it in time! But my words don't do it justice check the website www.fjallraven.com/classic

• Like 1

That hiking trek does look super-nice! I would love to do a thing like that one day. I'll have to learn to navigate and camp first, though, but those are both things I'd really like to be able to do.

Cool, and the stuff I've found doesn't seem too expensive either. None that I've found says anything about climbing, though. Do you happen to remember the brand of your stuff, or where it came from? If not, I'll just have to get my google fingers going and see what I can come up with...

This is for Nyxy too.... It's this thing http://www.bever.nl/rock-technologies-power-putty-medium-3i6za90011?id_colour=3002and they have a youtube channel with exercises https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7-4jBruoNvJ0ZI4I5MdBGg so you can see the gist. I will still take photos of the booklet with all the exercises but I'm kinda bad about it now I don't have a good excuse I'm just lazy :( But this should get you going! 

ahhh i love your goals! And climbing! And bouldering!! Ang yoga-ing! I think its going to be super fun. What is the Fjallraven Classic?? It also feels weird for you to be going into autumn as I go into summer!!

I present this cat, not because it is related in any way, but just because I love a good excuse to share it

Same here!

But also because Lilith is awesome!! 

Yay :D 

That hiking trek does look super-nice! I would love to do a thing like that one day. I'll have to learn to navigate and camp first, though, but those are both things I'd really like to be able to do.

I still need to learn how to navigate too! We have practiced camping, I thought it would be one of those things I'd hate, but it turns out I actually quite like it! :) 

Update on Tuesday and Wednesday

On Tuesday I went bouldering! It was actually a frustrating session. It just goes to show how much of climbing is a mental game. My boyfriend commented on that I was not in a good mood and already decided to fail routes before trying them. At that time it seemed ridiculous, but now I look  back I see some truth in that. It can be REALLY hard though to get out of a frustrated mood, especially if you keep failing a specific route.... Do you guys have any tips? Afterwards I felt tired and sore so it definitely was a good workout! 

determination-cat-1.jpg

On Wednesday I didn't do anything, I had a super tough day at my internship and when I was home I wanted to watch series and cuddle up in bed with a book - which I did! 

Sooooo that means I got 2 points for the bouldering and that means my point total is: 

Week 1: 4  

of the 10 I need to get this week. Still on schedule so that's nice! I'm planning to do the clay and the climbing workout today (thursday) but if I actually do it I will make a separate post for that! 

Anyway here's another random cat picture because I thought it was funny 

eatspainforbrkfast.jpg

• Like 5

I can usually determine if I will have a good bouldering session or not by doing an easy problem that require a bit of "engagement". Like a small dynamic move at the top of the wall. If I can do it without any problems, I will work on harder problems, if not... I take my hoop and go pout in the back-room or eventually do some easy problems with variations (slow-motion, 3 seconds hovering before catching a hold and so on) I never managed to found how to have a good session if the mood is not there, so I'm just doing some "damage control".

Update on Tuesday and Wednesday

On Tuesday I went bouldering! It was actually a frustrating session. It just goes to show how much of climbing is a mental game. My boyfriend commented on that I was not in a good mood and already decided to fail routes before trying them. At that time it seemed ridiculous, but now I look  back I see some truth in that. It can be REALLY hard though to get out of a frustrated mood, especially if you keep failing a specific route.... Do you guys have any tips? Afterwards I felt tired and sore so it definitely was a good workout! 

I agree with Nuala that it's more about damage control than fixing the mood.  Sometimes, you're just not going to have good sessions.  

I guess these are my tips:

-If I'm mentally okay but just can't get the adrenaline going, I'll find very balanced based problems and work on those.

-If I'm physically fine, but stressed or anxious, I'll climb things at a higher grade than I normally can do, and then I'll cheat a little as needed.  This way, I don't feel upset with myself or anxious when I can't do a move.  I avoid routes at a grade I should be able to do, since there is nothing that pisses me off or worsens my mood like failing on a route at or below my climbing grade.

-If I'm physically fine, but mentally just off, I'll climb things that are easy and very physical (like overhangs).  Basically, I'll just expect to brute force the route rather than use much technique.  It may not be great climbing, but at least I'll get a nice workout and make myself stronger.

I really struggle with that myself. Especially when I feel like I should be able to climb something. If I feel physically capable but I'm not in the right headspace I sometimes find that trying to climb problems way above my level helps. Then I don't put pressure on myself because I already know I won't be able to solve it. But if it's physical as well then Nuala's strategy sounds like a good one. When I'm in "one of those" moods I also get extra frustrated when B can climb something and I can't, so for me going away and working on technique could work rather well, though not sure if it's relevant for you.

I can usually determine if I will have a good bouldering session or not by doing an easy problem that require a bit of "engagement". Like a small dynamic move at the top of the wall. If I can do it without any problems, I will work on harder problems, if not... I take my hoop and go pout in the back-room or eventually do some easy problems with variations (slow-motion, 3 seconds hovering before catching a hold and so on) I never managed to found how to have a good session if the mood is not there, so I'm just doing some "damage control".

Ooof, I'm glad to know I'm not the only one struggling! Doing like game exercises is fun too, good idea! I like the thing where you cannot use the hands to grasp only to 'hold against'  too! 

I agree with Nuala that it's more about damage control than fixing the mood.  Sometimes, you're just not going to have good sessions.  

I guess these are my tips:

-If I'm mentally okay but just can't get the adrenaline going, I'll find very balanced based problems and work on those.

-If I'm physically fine, but stressed or anxious, I'll climb things at a higher grade than I normally can do, and then I'll cheat a little as needed.  This way, I don't feel upset with myself or anxious when I can't do a move.  I avoid routes at a grade I should be able to do, since there is nothing that pisses me off or worsens my mood like failing on a route at or below my climbing grade.

-If I'm physically fine, but mentally just off, I'll climb things that are easy and very physical (like overhangs).  Basically, I'll just expect to brute force the route rather than use much technique.  It may not be great climbing, but at least I'll get a nice workout and make myself stronger.

Oh yes YES I recognise one thing very very much. My boyfriend, trying to cheer me up, said ' try this one'  which is a hard route, actually on my project grade, that I can climb very well because I've practiced it often. I refused, because I just KNEW I would have angry tears if I couldn't make it. What you suggest sounds really reasonable, although for me overhangs are still quite some technique for some reason O_o

I really struggle with that myself. Especially when I feel like I should be able to climb something. If I feel physically capable but I'm not in the right headspace I sometimes find that trying to climb problems way above my level helps. Then I don't put pressure on myself because I already know I won't be able to solve it. But if it's physical as well then Nuala's strategy sounds like a good one. When I'm in "one of those" moods I also get extra frustrated when B can climb something and I can't, so for me going away and working on technique could work rather well, though not sure if it's relevant for you.

If only I knew how to work on technique specifically. I'm not THAT good a climber so for example traversing is about harder than following the routes I climb, and therefore many technique things are just very hard. Hmmm. I did also get extra frustrated because my boyfriend was having a good day and ticking off all the routes I failed on. 

Anyway, this doesn't mean at all that I've fallen out of love with climbing, that rush you feel when you get a route of a high grade is just UNBELIEVABLE. And I will try all of your suggestions <3 

• Like 1

This is for Nyxy too.... It's this thing http://www.bever.nl/rock-technologies-power-putty-medium-3i6za90011?id_colour=3002and they have a youtube channel with exercises https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7-4jBruoNvJ0ZI4I5MdBGg so you can see the gist. I will still take photos of the booklet with all the exercises but I'm kinda bad about it now I don't have a good excuse I'm just lazy :( But this should get you going! 

Oh it does! I just realized I could actually even order it from that website, or pick one up in Maastricht next time I'm there. yay! thanks!!

Climbing session advice: When I used to skate, I had some very bad sessions from time to time, and I called them "zombie-sessions" and the thing I did was tell myself that anything I teach myself in this demented state, will be a thing I can do always and forever, even while half asleep. So I would take it very easy, so not to hurt myself, and practice simple things that would indeed become part of always available repertoire, rather than "this thing I can do when all focused and determined." just to.. get the best out of those lesser sessions, I mean :)

Thursday and Friday update! 

Thursday

I did my clay practice while watching series and I did my climbing workout! Especially the reverse rows were really hard, which is why I put them in that workout. I noticed that I lack that kind of strength with climbing, and it's a pulling move you need often, more than you would need a pure pullup. Now I'm writing this it's Friday and I'm sore specifically because of the reverse rows so that makes me a happy kitty! So for the clay practice I get 1 point, the climbing workout 2 points. 

Ps. In my head I'm getting stronger. 

cd96b1350a2e9dacb82f9f45ef988e10.jpg

Friday 

Bit of a lazy again, because hey it's the end of the workweek! I did the clay thing while watching series again (really I love the clay and it feels like it works my fingers, wrists and forearms a lot) so that's another point! 

Total points week 1 so far:

Woohooo! Only three more to go and I think I'm going to go over which is always a good thing of course! 

• Like 1

Subbed! Finally found your thread! Yoga climbing nerds unite!

Yay! 

tumblr_n2ovbnL5Fe1qhk9kho1_400.gif

Climbing to the top together! 

I love reading about your climbing adventures! I've been loving learning to top rope and I so need to try bouldering someday! (Subbed, of course!)

You should definitely try bouldering! It's the same yet VERY different from toprope climbing. For me the puzzle aspect seems more important, more weird moves! 

Fjällräven looks amazing!

I have no idea how my font and colour changed but I cant change it back!

I am loving your work, keep it up!

I'm looking forward to the Fjallraven so badly! 

It's on top as an editor (not unlike word) when I type a comment. Maybe you hid it? 

Update Saturday and Sunday

Saturday I went for a hike with backpack, to practice for the Fjallraven. I've recently purchased a Gopro camera so I thought it would be fun to try and make timelapse! I Put the thing on my chest with makeshift rope tied to the band of the rugsack that goes over your chest, to keep the shoulder straps from sliding from your shoulders you know? Anyway, I tried to do it as stably as possible, but still the photos came out blurry. The only ones that were sharp were when I happened to stand still when the photo was taken! :P As a timelapse (if you play it fast enough) it doesn't matter THAT much but it bummed me out tbh. Of course I can buy their chest harness or something, but hey that's money. So maybe you guys have an idea? I mean I'm just WALKING. It's not like I'm moving so fast the photos should  come out blurry or anything :P Other than that it was a great hike, I worked my muscles, my old leg ache I had because of over exertion is gone so yay! Oh and that's 2 points. 

Sunday I went toprope climbing! It was a great day! I did many corner routes because that's kind of my thing and this time I literally climbed until I fell off the wall. Which is an AMAZING feeling. Strangely enough now I'm typing this my arms and hands and fingers seem completely fine, but maybe the soreness will kick in tomorrow. Or I created arms of steel. Not sure yet :P I've always said I like bouldering more, and that sort of still is the case. But right now I'm leaning towards liking toprope more, because the last few sessions of toprope went FABULOUSLY and the last bouldering session sucked. Haha :P Anyway, I like doing both so won't change that any time soon <3 Oh and that's also 2 points. 

Total for week 1 is 11 points! Woooo! I went over (by 1 shiny point :D)! I feel like such a champ! I'm happy with the point system, it motivates me to do something (and then I can pick what) and also I'm happy with my point target. First draft of this challenge I believe I made it 13 points, or even more (well you guys know me.... always going too hard on myself) and this is just the right amount. I am active throughout the week, but there's room for an off day because you know, studying and life and tiredness happen. And this way if I feel like a superkitten I can go over in points which actually is really motivating too! 

Okay that was my happy rambling. Love you guys! 

large.gif

• Like 6

Challenge update! I added two pilates videos targetting the abs as an option for 1 point. I notice with the overhangs my abs are lacking, and I thought the yoga vids I picked would contain more ab work than they actually did. So I'm adding those! Really looking forward to trying them! Cassey can be a bit annoying sometimes, but her workouts are really hard :D 

• Like 3

Maybe I've missed something, but could you explain more about this finger strength training with clay?  My paws are rather weak and feeble, so anything to train them up that doesn't involve complicated equipment (because THAT only ends in tears) sounds awesome!! :)

• Like 1

Thanks Obax and Alexandrite! 

Maybe I've missed something, but could you explain more about this finger strength training with clay?  My paws are rather weak and feeble, so anything to train them up that doesn't involve complicated equipment (because THAT only ends in tears) sounds awesome!! :)

Do you want finger strength for climbing? How long have you been climbing for? If it's anything less than half a year you shouldn't really train your fingers. The chance to injure yourself is very high. Also, (I hate hearing this too) the best way to get stronger for climbing is actually climbing. Try active hangs on various holds. Another way to practice grip strength is farmer walks (I've never done that because I don't have weights that are heavy enough). I've also done the rice bucket, which is cheap to make and there are plenty of exercises to do in there. They give a forearm pump and I feel like it's good for injury prevention, because you also train the opposing muscles. I've only just started with the clay so I can't really say yet how useful it is. But it is TOUGH. So I see that as a positive thing! I think it would also be good for strengthening the wrists and the opposing muscles and therefore be good at injury prevention. Whether I get better grip strength for actual climbing remains to be seen, I'll be sure to report on that in a few weeks time! But if you want to check out the clay read a few posts back, I linked some example exercises and the actual clay so you can try it out for yourself! It's inexpensive :) 

• Like 3