• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Thanks Obax and Alexandrite! 

Do you want finger strength for climbing? How long have you been climbing for? If it's anything less than half a year you shouldn't really train your fingers. The chance to injure yourself is very high. Also, (I hate hearing this too) the best way to get stronger for climbing is actually climbing. Try active hangs on various holds. Another way to practice grip strength is farmer walks (I've never done that because I don't have weights that are heavy enough). I've also done the rice bucket, which is cheap to make and there are plenty of exercises to do in there. They give a forearm pump and I feel like it's good for injury prevention, because you also train the opposing muscles. I've only just started with the clay so I can't really say yet how useful it is. But it is TOUGH. So I see that as a positive thing! I think it would also be good for strengthening the wrists and the opposing muscles and therefore be good at injury prevention. Whether I get better grip strength for actual climbing remains to be seen, I'll be sure to report on that in a few weeks time! But if you want to check out the clay read a few posts back, I linked some example exercises and the actual clay so you can try it out for yourself! It's inexpensive :)

You've given me some to think about here. I haven't done any of my hand exercises and I'm starting to think that all my "prep" is really just me stalling on actually going out and getting on the wall at all. I will probably be changing up my quests due to this. 

How's week 2 going?

I definitely need to get myself over into the bouldering section of my gym sometime!  I just love toprope so much. I think part of it is the security of being attached to the wall, and I think part of it is that I like that I don't have to overthink it too much. I think bouldering and having to figure out things sound appealing in some ways, but I usually go climbing right after a full day of work when my brain needs a break and I just want to really get in some intense exercise without having to think about it too much! I'm afraid some days the puzzle aspect might just annoy me and not help me de-stress. Maybe I should go on a weekend and not on a workday!

I think bouldering and having to figure out things sound appealing in some ways, but I usually go climbing right after a full day of work when my brain needs a break and I just want to really get in some intense exercise without having to think about it too much! I'm afraid some days the puzzle aspect might just annoy me and not help me de-stress. Maybe I should go on a weekend and not on a workday!

That's when you go for overhanging routes that require more brute strength than anything else. :)

• Like 1

That's when you go for overhanging routes that require more brute strength than anything else. :)

Not that true! You're in a world of pain if you are not careful about your feet placement! (I solved the new blue 45° overhang yesterday btw, it made me feel badass and thus I drank all the beer!)

I solved the new blue 45° overhang yesterday btw, it made me feel badass and thus I drank all the beer!

That's better. :) You ARE a serious badass!

Congrats, Nuala!   :triumphant:

I don't actually enjoy top rope that much.  I tend to feel rushed and scrutinized by having a belayer.  I hate the feeling of too little slack on the rope, such that I can't move around freely.  I hate having the rope in my face (sometimes even knocking off my glasses) or getting in the way of my hands.  When I boulder, I have complete freedom, which is awesome and amazing!  

I'm sure I'd enjoy top rope if I did it outside.  It's just pretty meh in the gym.

You've given me some to think about here. I haven't done any of my hand exercises and I'm starting to think that all my "prep" is really just me stalling on actually going out and getting on the wall at all. I will probably be changing up my quests due to this. 

How's week 2 going?

Well I hope it helps you! If you can afford (money and timewise) to climb more, that really is the best advice! Although it doesn't hurt to put in some pushups for the opposing muscles (in fact, work all the opposing muscles but I don't know which exactly they are haha) 

Week 2 is going great so far, you can read about it below! 

I definitely need to get myself over into the bouldering section of my gym sometime!  I just love toprope so much. I think part of it is the security of being attached to the wall, and I think part of it is that I like that I don't have to overthink it too much. I think bouldering and having to figure out things sound appealing in some ways, but I usually go climbing right after a full day of work when my brain needs a break and I just want to really get in some intense exercise without having to think about it too much! I'm afraid some days the puzzle aspect might just annoy me and not help me de-stress. Maybe I should go on a weekend and not on a workday!

I sometimes have that too, especially when I climb on an overhang (you can fall on your back/neck) or when I climb a laying wall where I could fall ON the wall (that would hurt so bad, it's like sandpaper) and really, that's just part of the mental game. But I also enjoy bouldering more because I feel free to move! You can always try bouldering on a weekend, and if it's not for you, that doesn't matter right? :) You should do what you want to do! 

Update week 2 Monday and Tuesday 

Monday

Did the lower ab pilates, it's Wednesday now and I'm STILL sore. It's so great what you can accomplish in hardly any time at all! 1 point! 

Tuesday 

Went bouldering. Remembered last time, which was sucky? This session rocked! My mental game was stronger than I can ever remember it to be! And that resulted in very hard climbing, acing a route that my boyfriend couldn't climb (yes that is the ultimate hallmark to succes, because he's actually the better climber of the two in general) but ALSO that I did low grade routes that I find hard, and sometimes even fail on a few times before getting... I avoid those because I guess I feel ashamed of not being able to do a really easy route? But I told myself that's just being silly, I'm climbing to be better than me, not to impress anyone around me! That just really turned things around for me and I'm proud of all that I've accomplished this bouldering session! 2 points! 

Week 1: 3 points so far! 

So it's Wednesday now, but I'm not including it in this update, because I didn't do anything yet and I am REALLY tired because it was one of those days at my internship where everything goes wrong. Nothing to worry about, my mood is still fine I'm just exhausted. :) I'm rambling now, what I wanted to say was, don't know if anything is going to happen tonight so that's why I'll write about tonight tomorrow or something! 

giphy.gif

• Like 4

Niiiice climbing sesh. And yes, while it feels great to conquer things we couldn't before, sometimes beating others (especially BOYS WHO SEEM TO JUST BE BETTER ALL THE TIME) makes it feel extra nice. :3

Hooray glad your bouldering session went so great!

Wooohooo! Awesome job! It does feel so good to beat the boys. It doesn't happen very often though... At least for me. One day! :tongue:

Thanks lovelies! :D 

Niiiice climbing sesh. And yes, while it feels great to conquer things we couldn't before, sometimes beating others (especially BOYS WHO SEEM TO JUST BE BETTER ALL THE TIME) makes it feel extra nice. :3

Argh yes it's not fair that boys are cooler with muscles, he's better at running, hiking, climbing, basically everything! Though I shouldn't complain because that's not true I'm better at yoga and HIIT like workouts and I'm not really in a competition against him. But when I do beat him at something then I make a point of bragging about it as much as I can! 

Update Wednesday and Thursday

Wednesday I did the pilates abs video (as opposed to the lower abs pilates video haha) it was okay but there was a lot of stuff that strained my neck. That happens often for me which is why I usually avoid situps and crunchlike things like the plague. So I will probably do the other video way more but still yeah I should perhaps grow a stronger neck? Though I don't want to get a really fat muscular bulls neck O_o Anyway 1 point! 

Thursday I did the climber yoga of 25 minutes and I really really liked it! The pace was just right for me, I like it a bit slow so you have time to get the right feeling in the pose! I also did my clay practice so 2 points! 

Week 2: 6 points so far! (out of 10) 

Oh I did some hooping too! :) Not for points obviously but it was fun! I do minipractices almost every day, I'm focusing on chest and shoulder hooping right now! Chest hooping is really clicking for me, but shoulder hooping is a tricky thing still. 

And my internship is still fun even though this week is/has been frustrating. I wanted to get amazing results and I didn't yet, as far as I can tell. Tomorrow I'm going to look at the data again, because I only got a quick glance this afternoon so I'm anxious to see if this week's work accounted for something :P 

Or maybe all I did was derping at the lab

pusheen.gif

• Like 3

If crunches are hurting your neck you may need to do some modifications. I think it's really common to be moving your head up and down on it own when really it should only be moving as an extension of your body moving. I find if instead of putting my hands behind my head I keep them down by my sides and reach forward that I am less inclined to do weird things with my neck. (I'm sure there is a better way to describe that...) Imagine the forward/up part being led by your chest and moving your whole torso and not being instigated by your head/your face (that should help even if you keep the hands behind your head) I also find looking at the ceiling above me and focusing on the UP part makes me less inclined to bend my neck a bunch.

I have the same problem with crunches when I'm putting my hands behind my head.  For whatever reason, that tends to make me pull up on my neck with my hands.  Instead, I just keep my hands folded on my chest, and it eliminates a lot of the problem.

And yeah, shoulder hooping is weird.  I had assumed that I'd pick up shoulder really quickly after nailing the chest hooping, but it actually took quite some time.  You'll get there.  :)

I tried a few crunches today really focussing on lifting with my core and it goes okay for a little while. Maybe kt just means I'm not strong enough to keep the right form for an entire pilates session, and start compensating with my neck! So I guess I should just take more rest inbetween..

• Like 1

You'll figure it out. You can do some streches on your neck if you sit up straight, look forward, then gently press your chin back towards your neck with a few fingers. One of the most frequent stretches I use actually after my husband taught it to me.

- Sent from my magic Navi-powered device!

I liked the 25 minute climber yoga video much more than the hour one.  If you're still having issues with your neck, I think you should just ditch the crunches and instead do some hollow body holds.  If you want some more dynamic core exercises, then just do hanging leg/knee raises on a pull-up bar.  That will have much more relevance for climbing, anyway.  

Those exercises I will all try! I have a strong affinity for leg lifts and flutter kicks so I already do those! But the hollow body holds are tough! Wow! 

I'm just doing a dry quick update, I did a hike last saturday and some clay on sunday. Sunday I wasn't feeling good, actually still don't, so that's why I didn't do any actual workout. I ended up with 9 points, so I failed that week but I think that's okay seeing I was and still am ill. Didn't do anything for points this week yet, though I'm feeling better tonight so hopefully tomorrow I can go bouldering. :) 

Didn't forget about you guys just not behind the computer that much when I'm ill (a bed is more tempting) 

• Like 3