obax embraces the suck some more

obax

Climbed at night. It continues to just be ok. My hands got really sore really fast (like, the skin in my hands, not the muscles), and there comes a point where gritting my teeth and bearing it makes it no longer enjoyable.

My hands get scraped up and chapped much sooner in the winter, when it's colder and less humid.  Make sure you're using some sort of lotion or moisturizer to help combat the climbing chalk + weather issues.  

Everything else is looking good.  :)

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

Your pushup numbers are really impressive. Are the scapular pulls helping you on pull ups? I wouldn't feel too bad about not getting stuff done on Sunday, sometimes it's nice to just have a play day, and I think it is great that you have family time. 

Thanks re: the pushups. I'm really happy with my progress, even if the last few are a little wiggly still. It wasn't that long ago where I was only able to do like 6 at a time. 37 (perfect for my age group in the extra police test) is definitely achievable (though I'm going for 40, 'cuz I'm a nerd who likes round numbers).

I have no idea if the scapular pulls are helping with pullups, but that first motion was one part of the pullup I always had trouble with, and it's definitely helping with that. I'm feeling really strong on that initial pull, and I'm starting to try to be more explosive with the motion. I think some of it is I'm just learning how to use the muscles properly, but there's definitely more strength there too. I'm starting to think about what I might be able to do next/add in to help with the rest of the pullup motion (I have a lot of trouble at the top too), but for now these are still challenging enough that I'll stick with just them for a while.

My hands get scraped up and chapped much sooner in the winter, when it's colder and less humid.  Make sure you're using some sort of lotion or moisturizer to help combat the climbing chalk + weather issues.  

Everything else is looking good.   :)

I'm terrible at remembering to use lotion, and I have crazy sensitive skin, so there aren't very many lotions I can even use in the first place. I know that's definitely part of my problem, but I have yet to find a lotion that works the way I want and doesn't set my skin on fire (well, I did find one, but it's ridiculously expensive for a fairly wee tube). I think I want to try the man-balm they sell at Canadian Tire (I can't remember the name but I think it comes in a bright green pot), it's marketed to, like, mechanics and carpenters and guys who use axes for fun, to keep their man hands smooth. Hopefully that means it won't be too smelly, and will work well.

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

Tuesday:

Got up early for a run, and the mad wind from yesterday was still fairly mad (though no longer 'knock me off my feet' mad). The news said it was supposed to die down towards the evening, so I made the decision to run after work instead. Which, by the time I was done work, I really didn't want to do, but I did it. No time again, this time because I couldn't be bothered to locate my watch. I actually wish I'd timed it, the run was pretty smooth and actually felt pretty good, and I'm curious to know if it's because it was actually a rare and elusive 'Good Run' or if it was because I wasn't trying very hard. I honestly cannot tell the difference without a time to compare, though I kind of suspect the latter.

3x hamstring stretch done, more spread out this time, plus more stretching. But I keep forgetting that my upper body needs bendiness too... Maybe I need to put my broomstick out where it's easier to notice. Food was good, cupcake notwithstanding, until I had a bit of pizza at my sister's place. Just a bit, and I was actually hungry, but it was still pizza...

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

Wednesday:

Strength stuff in the morn: pushups - 15, 15, 11; squats - 10, 10, 10; scapular pulls - 10, 10, 10; hamstring thing - 10, 8, 6.

Hockey in the PM. It was good, but my legs were very tired. 3x hamstring stretches: done. Food was ok but I succumbed to the allure of cheesecake at lunch.

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

Thursday:

Ran in the AM. Didn't time myself because I knew it would be bad and didn't want to know. I was so tired, and all I could think about was how I didn't want to go, and then when I was running, all I could think about was stopping. But I didn't.

Stretched in the PM. Food was not great, mostly due to poor choices on my part. Did a bit of adulting too, I'm going away this weekend and my sister is insisting I be ready to go directly after work today, which means I had to pack last night after I got home from my thing, and to do that I had to go though The Pile, and I figured I'd put it all away while I was at it.

Speaking of going away, I'm going away! Just to the cottage, but it'll be relaxing. It means no climbing tonight, no hockey on Saturday, and probably not much other than dog walks (if we take them with us) on the weekend. It also probably means not the greatest food available, but I'll try to make the best choices I can.

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

Have an awesome  and relaxing weekend. On the scapular pulls : I felt that they really helped me activate the right muscles too. And they are great for shoulder mobility too.

Wisdom 21   Dexterity 11   Charisma 14   Strength 18  Constitution-12

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Back from the cottage. It went as follows: Friday night, I built a fire and then promptly fell asleep in front of it. Saturday was pretty lazy, other than a bit of stretching (and I really mean a bit). Sunday I went for 3 walks. They were slow walks, I was taking a lot of pictures (if I can figure out how to share them I will), but they were each about an hour long. I have not yet stretched, but will before bed.

Some food choices were good, some were really not good, and it evens out to just ok, maybe a bit south of ok. I tend to do a lot more snacking at the cottage than I do at home, but I also don't really eat proper meals other than dinner, so I sorta figure it evens out.

I did a bit of adulting tonight, including laundry and a bit of tidying in my room. So at least I'll get a green dot.

Next week:

When I set my goal to exercise in the morning, I didn't realize that I'd be working earlier shifts come December. I should have known that I would be, working in a post office, December is the busiest month of the year. I'm not prepared to get up THAT early just to avoid running in the dark, so for the next 3.5 weeks I'm just going to have to buckle down after work on Tuesdays and Thursdays. As for the strength stuff I've been doing, I need to keep working on the pushups and hamstring things at the very least, since they're related to police stuff, and I'd like to keep going with the other stuff too (I wouldn't be sad to skip the squats, but they also don't hurt so I'll keep 'em if I can). I'm going to try to get 3 sets of at least 2 of the exercises in on my lunch breaks, I get extra time compared to what I usually get so I can hopefully I can get it done. If I can get it all in at lunch, then great, if not I'll do the rest as soon as I'm home, and continue with the usual evening schedule (climbing and hockey). If it turns out I can't get anything in at lunch, I'll be sure to do at least the pushups and hamstring things after work, but as long as I try to plan ahead for lunch foods (so I can just zap some leftovers rather than having to cook things from scratch), it should be ok.

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

That photo is awesome Obax!   I love the colors you got in there!!!

Sounds like you managed pretty well for the weekend, so yay there.    And you've got a good plan heading into the next month.   Really, it sounds like you are all sorts of ready to kick ass the back half of this challenge!

Level 71 ~*~ Ranger

Deviant Art Gallery   ||  YouTube Channel

Current Challenge

"It is difficult.  All things worth keeping are."  Thane Krios - Mass Effect 2

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

"Staying within your limits is no fun, Ryder."  Vetra Nyx - ME: Andromeda

Spoiler

::PAST CHALLENGES::

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

That photo is awesome Obax!   I love the colors you got in there!!!

Sounds like you managed pretty well for the weekend, so yay there.    And you've got a good plan heading into the next month.   Really, it sounds like you are all sorts of ready to kick ass the back half of this challenge!

Thanks!

My grand plan is failing already, due mainly to lack of sleep, which is due mainly to me not turning off my light at a reasonable hour....

Photo #2:

1452475_10152881983119629_84910858584375

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

You have some beautiful hiking areas near the cottage!  Your dog is adorable!

We definitely do, I love it up there. And these are all within a kilometre of my cottage, the whole peninsula is this beautiful and more.

And re: the dog. He's a pest, is what he is. Also adorable, but also a pest. I have 3 good shots of him, and about 20 of him being blurry and walking away... And that one of him barking, that's what he looks like about 90% of the time... But I love him anyway, he's amusing if nothing else.

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

Awesome photos, thanks for sharing! I thought  you'd have more snow at the cabin by now. Did you do any geocaching? I dragged my husband out Sunday so we could do a bit.

Wisdom 21   Dexterity 11   Charisma 14   Strength 18  Constitution-12

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Awesome photos, thanks for sharing! I thought  you'd have more snow at the cabin by now. Did you do any geocaching? I dragged my husband out Sunday so we could do a bit.

There was maybe 3 inches or so of snow when we got there, but we've been having a sort of pre-winter heat wave for the last while. During the day all weekend, the temperature was above freezing, and overnight Saturday it rained, which got rid of all the snow, but helped make the nice waterfall in my pictures (it's fed by groundwater draining from the top of the escarpment, and is always most impressive after a good rain or during the spring melt). And no, no geocaching. We were feeling pretty lazy on Saturday, and my sister had some schoolwork to do on Sunday (she's a teacher). Even though it was above zero it was still pretty cold, and she's a giant wimp about cold, especially damp cold. I thought about going by myself, but I was more in the mood for wandering aimlessly with the pup than getting in the car and driving all over the peninsula in search of little boxes.

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

Today:

I'm not feeling well at all, very tired and achy, so my grand plan to workout at lunch and then some more in the evening was immediately derailed. At lunch I just ate soup and wished I didn't have to go back to work. After work, I lazed, then at dinner, then did the Must-Do's (pushups, hamstring things, basic stretching), and now I'm going to bed early. Food was pretty good today, though.

For the record, my numbers were: pushups - 15, 15, 15 (last couple were wiggly, but it's wiggly progress); hamstring things - 10, 10, 10 (getting easier, but still a challenge). Imma try to do the scapular pulls and maybe even the squats tomorrow sometime. I dunno when I'm going to do it on Wednesday, maybe I can squeeze it in before I have to leave for hockey...

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

Photos #4 and #5:

1781939_10152881670289629_84105053680832

OMG you found a hobbit hole!!! How cool!

Also I hear ya on the not feeling very well.   That derails me too.  And I've been sick since Thursday night.   You, my dear, are being much better about it than I am though, lol!    I am so mega impressed that you've managed to do anything at all while feeling the ick.   That's pretty rock star.

Level 71 ~*~ Ranger

Current Challenge

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

Spoiler

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

OMG you found a hobbit hole!!! How cool!

Also I hear ya on the not feeling very well.   That derails me too.  And I've been sick since Thursday night.   You, my dear, are being much better about it than I am though, lol!    I am so mega impressed that you've managed to do anything at all while feeling the ick.   That's pretty rock star.

Thanks! Labeling certain things as 'Must Do' helps, because then I can do those and not feel bad about skipping the rest. Unless I'm puking. Then I won't do anything but lay in bed and groan. But fortunately it didn't come to that.

Yesterday:

Ran after work. Still wasn't feeling 100%, but I went anyway. No time, but it felt like I was pushing it a bit. Food was good (AND I resisted the popcorn at the movies), stretching was brief but happened. That is all.

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

Oooh, i love the pictures so much! I hope you'll be feeling completely better soon :)

Thanks! And I am!

Yesterday:

Hockey in the pm. It was really good, there weren't many people there so we did 3-on-3 and there was tonnes of room to skate. The rink I play on is smaller than regulation, so normally there's someone on top of you almost as soon as you touch the puck, but this was wide open and I skated so much!

Completely forgot my strength stuff. Amazing how morning exercise has been a habit for, what, 3 weeks, and now I don't know what to do when I can't do that....... I'll try to do it tonight, and if not I'll get one in on the weekend sometime.

Stretching happened. I keep forgetting about the 3x/day hamstring stretch, I think because I'm not actually writing on my calendar. So, back to writing! Food was also ok.

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

Today:

Ran after work. No time. I kinda don't want to find my watch (even though I know exactly where it is), I hate running a little less when I don't have the pressure of a time to worry about. But if I want to progress, and I do, I think I need an objective measure of my performance, whether I like it or not. Next week I'll get out the watch...

As for the actual run today, I'm fairly sore all over after hockey yesterday. It's a good sore, it's because I skated so hard, but it made the hill a bit.... unpleasant.

Food was ok, except I had dessert, but it was lime cream, so I could not resist (and my sister made it for me and my mom, so I extra couldn't resist). I don't wanna stretch but I will. I remembered about the 3x hamstrings this morning, but not later in the day, so I'll only get 2 sides of my triangle today.

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

Yesterday:

Did nothing other than stretch. I felt bad deciding not to do anything, not even the Must Do's, but I simply didn't want to. I did not embrace the suck very well...

Today:

Hockey. I was very tired, I think party because I didn't eat at good times/enough and was kinda hungry. I had a snack before the game, and towards the end as it kicked in a bit, I had a little more energy, but mostly I felt like I was dragging my ass. We won, though, and I still managed to get 2 assists.

Food today was ok but not great. I celebrated my German heritage at lunch with potato pancakes and goulash (which I've always thought of as more Eastern European, but whatever), and an apple fritter. Dinner was good, though, and breakfast was mediocre. I don't know what that adds up to overall... Just ok, I guess.

Stretching will occur at some point before bed. As usual, I won't be getting my triangle, I just keep forgetting in between all my busy-ness...

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

I am so confused by your hockey outlets sometimes Obax.   I think I've asked before, and it's mostly scheduling/location issues - but do you ever get to play a regulation sized rink 5 on 5?     Three on three though, yes, so much good for getting to move around and make some plays and stuff.     Our womens team holds a fundraiser called cross ice for cash.    We divide the rink up into 3 mini rinks, shooting 'cross-ice' (thus the name) and play it 3 on 3.  It's non-stop, 30 minute games, with the timer set to buzz every 60" and you leave the puck dead and then change the next group out there.    Quite fun, super fast.  

I think I'd go crazy if I didn't get a full sheet of ice and 5on5 play.    But it's good to see that you enjoy what you've got!   And some hockey is always infinitely better than no hockey at all.

Level 71 ~*~ Ranger

Current Challenge

Spoiler