I am Jaex: Silver-Age Superhero

jaex

I am Jaex, an unremarkable project attorney.

Or I was until one cold day...

I was out walking, sipping on a bottle of Coca-Cola, when out of nowhere came a great blizzard.  I tried to find my way to safety but like most Atlantans was unable to do anything against the might of the winter storm. I was crushed under the overwhelming inch and a half of snow! It seemed all hope was lost until out of my Coca-Cola bottle materialized the Spirit of Atlanta.  Appearing to me as a phoenix, it wrapped its wings around me and I felt the warmth as the Spirit of Atlanta fused with my body and soul.  It imbued me with new life and purpose and I was granted great new powers.  I had the eyes of Hawk, flight like a Falcon, magical tomahawk of a Brave, and the popularity of a Thrasher.

And like the City of Atlanta that arose from ashes of the Yankee torching in 1864, I too arose from the snow as Captain Atlanta, protector of my city (and surrounding municipalities).

1358958477-atlanta_city_seal.jpg 

The city is under attack!  The twins Otto and Lotta Von Bier-Belä, better known as Glutton and The Sloth scheme to make the people of Atlanta fat and lazy.  Only I can stop them, but I must be cautious and these are dangerous foes and I might fall at the hands of their schemes!

Main Quest: Defeat the Von Bier-Belä family

Mission 1: Defeat The Sloth's army of La-Z-Boys (+1 STR, +2 DEX, +1 STA)

The Sloth and his army of La-Z-Boys aim to prevent the people from being active.  To combat this I must do some sort of exercise four days each week.  

Mission 2: Stop Glutton's Gadgets and Gizmos of Gross Growth (+1 CON, +1 CHA)

These months are full of delicious American treats.  Pumpkin pie, pecan pie, snickerdoodles, etc.  But everything should be taken in moderation.  Glutton's Gadgets and Gizmos of Gross Growth control people and force them to uncontrollably eat unhealthy foods with no attention paid to portion control or moderation.  To weaken the power of the Gadgets and Gizmos of Gross Growth I will every other day abstain from eating unhealthy snacks and desserts abstain from eating unhealthy snacks and desserts 21 of the 42 days of the challenge (edited mission). 

Mission 3: With great responsibility, one needs great power (+2 STR)
To be Captain Atlanta I must be strong.  Who knows when I'll be called on to push a bus full of students out of lake or lift a bloody log.  Outside of my regular Kung Fu training, I will once a week do some form of strength training.

Life Quest: Keep my secret base, Underground Atlanta, clean (+1 WIS, +1 CHA)

A clean and pure base is necessary to thwart evil-doers plans!  You don't see other superhero bases littered with used napkins, dirty dishes, and unfolded clothes and I aim to do the same. Five nights a week, before I go to sleep, I will pick up around my base.

• Like 7

Level 5 Shapeshifter Monk

STR 10.75   :   DEX 7.5  :   STA 8.5   :   CON 5   :   WIS 7.5   :   CHA 7

Challenge: I am an Avenger

Past: 1st, Draugr, Super-hero, Rocky

A soon-to-be married Kung Fu enthusiast  

The real me:

I am a young attorney who is currently working as a project attorney.  It is most certainly not my dream job but fits what I need as I'll be leaving work to study for another bar exam at the beginning of the new year and it doesn't make sense to join a firm or other practice at this time.  My dream job would be as a public interest attorney working with poorer communities.  Pay of course will suck but it'll be the kind of job I'll love doing and I will feel like I'm making a difference.

Last challenge:

Last challenge had its ups and downs.  I started strong despite hectic work schedule but faded down the stretch.  I think I was extremely motivated to look as good as I could because in early October I proposed to my long-time girlfriend (she said yes!) and once that came and went (and work thankfully slowed down from 70 hour weeks to 40) I decided I needed a break and my exercise and eating habits took a nose-dive.  So I'm back and ready to kick butt!

My kind of exercises:

Twice a week I attend Northern Shaolin Kung Fu practices (I've been doing this since March-ish).  We meet outdoors for two-hour classes which is going to get interesting as the temperatures drop.  Other than that I like to run, do bodyweight circuit drills based on ones we do in Kung Fu, and work the elliptical at my local gym while I watch Netflix on my massive phone. 

• Like 4

Sub'd!

Welcome to the Brigade jaex, we are so glad to have you! :)

Love the intro, that is awesome! And, a big congrats on the engagement! :)

Look forward to seeing you do some serious butt kicking.  ;)

Level 6 Pixie Assassin Rangerish Adventurer
Current Challenge: Guess What??
Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th 12th 13th 14th  Battle Log
-We can't always change the things we've done, but we can change what we do next.

-I don't have a choice. I deserve a better life and this is what I have to do to get there.
-Whatever doesn't kill me....Had better start running.

I was out walking, sipping on a bottle of Coca-Cola, when out of nowhere came a great blizzard.  I tried to find my way to safety but like most Atlantans was unable to do anything against the might of the winter storm. I was crushed under the overwhelming inch and a half of snow! It seemed all hope was lost until out of my Coca-Cola bottle materialized the Spirit of Atlanta.  Appearing to me as a phoenix, it wrapped its wings around me and I felt the warmth as the Spirit of Atlanta fused with my body and soul.  It imbued me with new life and purpose and I was granted great new powers.  I had the eyes of Hawk, flight like a Falcon, magical tomahawk of a Brave, and the popularity of a Thrasher.

Meanwhile, a Gargoyle Assassin stared, mesmerized. "WTF just happened?" he thought, thereafter petrified for all of eternity with a watchful and confused gaze.

Sub'd!

Also what she said :D

• Like 2

Gargoyle Assassin

Present: I can has climb?
   Future: It shall be excellent.

Failures are merely teachers.

Yay, welcome back Jaex!

Thanks!  It's good to be back.

your back ! yay

Yup!  Auxiliary goal this challenge is to do the whole 6 weeks and not disappear!

Awesome challenge!! Subbed :D

Gracias.  I subbed you as well.  Hope you can get back to Kung Fu someday!

Welcome back, Esq.! 

Thank you!  If you need any information about law schools, shoot me a message and I'll glad to tell you what I know (this offer goes to all would-be lawyers)

Found and sub'd! I'll be checking in on you :) Great variety for the challenge. 

Thanks.  I've been planning on changing the theme each challenge.  Last time I was an undead beastie.  This time I'm a superhero from a silly era.  Who knows what I'll be in the future?

You're back! I'm back and on board for the ride, it's time to rock n roll

And rock we shall!

Subbed! Thanks for dropping by my current challenge thread--I'll be here to cheer you on! =)

Gracias.  All support is appreciated.

Jaex! Definitely sub'd. =]

Thanks!  This challenge I'm a lot like your chosen avatar - a lawyer by day and superhero when needed.

Sub'd! :)

Looking forward to seeing you defeat the nefarious von Bier-Beläs! :livid:

Might not beat them entirely but I'm going to try and weaken those twins as much as I can!

Sub'd!

Love the intro, that is awesome! And, a big congrats on the engagement! :)

Look forward to seeing you do some serious butt kicking.   ;)

BUTT-KICKING-FOR-GOODNESS.jpg

I dunno, but whenever I hear "butt-kicking" I think of Minsc from the Baldur's Gate series.  Speaking of I do need to return to BG2 now that I have Throne of Baal add-on.

Meanwhile, a Gargoyle Assassin stared, mesmerized. "WTF just happened?" he thought, thereafter petrified for all of eternity with a watchful and confused gaze.

Also what she said :D

We do have a few gargoyles in Atlanta.  This one comes to mind: 

gargoyle-oakland-cemetery-atlanta-georgi

Gargoyles are so sweet.  And thanks for swinging by.  

Day 1 Update

Mission 1: Defeat The Sloth's army of La-Z-Boys (i.e. 4 exercises a week)

0/4

No exercise yesterday.  My fiancee is on night shift yesterday and today, which means if I want to see her it is only for an hour or so after work.  Since that is when I usually work out, I didn't work out.  Probably won't work out tonight.  I planning on working out though Wednesday (Kung Fu class), Thursday or Friday, Saturday, and Sunday (Kung Fu class again)

Mission 2: Stop Glutton's Gadgets and Gizmos of Gross Growth (i.e. every other day eat/drink no bad snacks, desserts, drinks)

Yesterday was my day of eating poorly. I had tasty maple bacon pretzels and some pumpkin cake.  Today is only healthy food.  And I've started the day off right with a delicious smoothie made of pumpkin puree, frozen banana, vanilla yogurt, almond milk, maple syrup, pumpkin pie spice.  Delicious and so so smooth. Would recommend.

Mission 3: With great responsibility, one needs great power (i.e. do 1 strength-training a week)
0/1

No exercise yesterday.  This will happen either Thursday, Friday, or Saturday.  Possibly on multiple days seeing how I feel.

Life Quest: Keep my secret base, Underground Atlanta, clean (i.e. clean apartment 5 nights a week)

0/5

I did clean up the kitchen after making chicken, but that is because of fear of salmonella.  Rest of apartment was not touched.  Will pick up today.

So not as booming of a start as some people here, but I kind of planned that the first two days of the challenge would be meh.  Love seeing my fiancee and I feel it is my duty to make her smile before she goes and works with sick and injured children.  That cuts into my usual workout time.  As she returns to a more usual schedule on Wednesday I will return to exercising.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So one thing I'm planning to work on a bit is my Five Animals "forms" for Kung Fu.  The Five Animals form the basis of my next test.  Each animal (Tiger, Crane, Leopard, Snake, Dragon) have two very short "forms" to them (hardly forms in what we usually think of as forms in martial arts, it is basically just a very short movement which serves as basis for several application).  I've been working on them and while all of them are simple, they are rarely easy movements.

Tiger 1 

This one is straight forward enough.  A strong block followed by a palm strike with fingers curled in like a tiger's claw.  All done while stepping.  I think I've got this one down.

Confidence Level: 10/10

Tiger 2

A grab and push motion.  I have the basics of this down but struggle pushing with my core.  The more advanced students and the teacher can genrate amazing power with just a weight shift step and opening the palms.  I tend to cheat and push with my arms.  Still I'm almost there.

Confidence Level: 7/10

Crane 1

Very similar to tiger 1.  Block and striking with a whipping motion using a crane's beak hand.  There is some degree of difficulty as the crane is more elusive so there is side-stepping and twisting of the body.

Confidence Level: 8/10

Crane 2

This one is loads of fun.  Block while retreating backwards opens up into crane wings that strike the opponent (and when I say strike I mean that is the obvious app.  Anytime there is a strike in this form it can easily be a grab or a throw).

Confidence Level: 9/10

Leopard 1

I love this one but it is one of the toughest.  A block while simultaneously bringing the other arm over top of my head to feign like I'm going to strike high then going into a twist stance and striking low.  There is a lot of simultaneous movement and I'm struggling with the coordination.

Confidence Level: 4/10

Leopard 2

No hands here, just legwork.  Basically springing forward one foot, then other foot.  Tougher than it looks.

Confidence Level: 6/10

Snake 1

Why did it have to be snakes.  This motion is a block while simultaneously coiling the other hand close to the body (twisting the whole arm into an uncomfortable position) and then stepping into a twist stance and uncoiling to strike.  My flexibility and forearms aren't here yet for this to be effective.

Confidence Level: 3/10

Snake 2

The only form without use of legs.  Just coiling and uncoiling of the arms.

Confidence Level: 7/10

Dragon 1

This one is fun as most other arm movements are on a vertical plane while this is almost purely horizontal.  Step forward and swing the dragon claw (basically a tiger claw turned down at the wrist) and then step forward again, swinging the other dragon claw.  My struggle here is I need to lead the swinging arm with the hips and not my shoulders.

Dragon 2 (Praying Mantis)

The most "Kung Fu looking" of the Five Animal forms.  Basically two quick steps forward while swinging two mantis hands in mantis-like manner to catch the opponent's arm.  Then sink while holding the arm.  The reaching another mantis arm around the imaginary opponent's head, bringing the hand back to a raising knee and shooting out the other hand.  Looks neat.  Looks hard.  Is hard.

So I'm going to try and work on these at home on non Kung Fu days.  Not necessarily part of this challenge (I've already allocated all my points), but a personal goal for me

• Like 4

So not as booming of a start as some people here, but I kind of planned that the first two days of the challenge would be meh.  Love seeing my fiancee and I feel it is my duty to make her smile before she goes and works with sick and injured children.  That cuts into my usual workout time.  As she returns to a more usual schedule on Wednesday I will return to exercising.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So one thing I'm planning to work on a bit is my Five Animals "forms" for Kung Fu.  The Five Animals form the basis of my next test.  Each animal (Tiger, Crane, Leopard, Snake, Dragon) have two very short "forms" to them (hardly forms in what we usually think of as forms in martial arts, it is basically just a very short movement which serves as basis for several application).  I've been working on them and while all of them are simple, they are rarely easy movements.

I'm sure your fiancee approves ;) mine is getting slightly irritated with me being so busy all of the time. Perhaps I can learn a thing or two from you.

Kung fu sounds awesome! I've always wanted to learn some form of martial arts (who hasn't?!). I'll have to seriously consider taking classes for an upcoming challenge.

Gargoyle Assassin

Present: I can has climb?
   Future: It shall be excellent.

Failures are merely teachers.

Thanks for a lovely introduction, jaex I mean Captain Atlanta! It was a lot of fun to read :D And all the Kung Fu here looks very fascinating... And keeping underground Atlanta clean is a wise goal. Cleaning up is smart u__u

Let's have a fun challenge, and let's succeed ourselves!

tumblr_inline_nayt60DUpK1rnrgq3.gif

-:*~ Journal ~*:-

Hey, I loved your intro post, cool backstory!

I also like the idea of taking every other day off from unhealthy stuff, I would die if I could never have anything unhealthy, but just trying to "practice moderation" in general doesn't work for me (I need hard and fast rules, otherwise I start stretching the definition of a moderate amount and before you know it.... helllloooo sugar coma!) so your rule seems sensible to me! How did the healthy eating go today?

All or something. All or something. *deep breath* All 👏 or 👏 something 👏

Thanks!  This challenge I'm a lot like your chosen avatar - a lawyer by day and superhero when needed.

Bahaha, you so are! And here I am super hero by day and freelance artist by night.... and set dresser when available. 

*snort*

• Like 2

Current Challenge: She-Hulk Strengthens the Stronghold.

[Level: 6 | STR 8.18 | DEX 6.31 STA 9.47 | CON 11.08 WIS 10.5 | CHA 6.9 ]

Found you!  I'm really excited about the theme of this challenge.  So colorful! ^_^  Also I think it's really cool that you want to be a public interest lawyer.

Thanks.  I've tried the private side and it just isn't for me.  If I'm not doing something that helps those in need I ain't doing something that I love.

I'm sure your fiancee approves ;) mine is getting slightly irritated with me being so busy all of the time. Perhaps I can learn a thing or two from you.

Kung fu sounds awesome! I've always wanted to learn some form of martial arts (who hasn't?!). I'll have to seriously consider taking classes for an upcoming challenge.

Scheduling time for the s/o can be tough, but I find it important.  At the very least it is great for mental health - she never fails to bring a smile to my face.

Also, I highly recommend trying out martial arts.  Go out and try a class. Many places allow a free class or two.

Man, I love Kung Fu. The theatre I used to work at would bring some Shaolin Monks in every once in a while and they were amazing. Sounds like you are having a great time!

Oh I love it.  What really drew me to Kung Fu was the artistry and beauty you see in the movements.  Also it is great exercise and I've met several good friends through it.

Thanks for a lovely introduction, jaex I mean Captain Atlanta! It was a lot of fun to read :D And all the Kung Fu here looks very fascinating... And keeping underground Atlanta clean is a wise goal. Cleaning up is smart u__u

Let's have a fun challenge, and let's succeed ourselves!

tumblr_inline_nayt60DUpK1rnrgq3.gif

Yeah, cleaning up is something that I have been bad about.  Between my and my fiancee's schedule, we often put off cleaning until it is at a breaking point and almost a pig sty.  This is my effort to prevent that.

Hey, I loved your intro post, cool backstory!

I also like the idea of taking every other day off from unhealthy stuff, I would die if I could never have anything unhealthy, but just trying to "practice moderation" in general doesn't work for me (I need hard and fast rules, otherwise I start stretching the definition of a moderate amount and before you know it.... helllloooo sugar coma!) so your rule seems sensible to me! How did the healthy eating go today?

Yeah, I need rules as moderation of deliciousness is too tough (too much of a good thing is never enough, am I right?).  I actually am most succesful when I count calories but that is such a pain to do, especially as I make so many meals now.  Everytime I count calories I get tired of it and the time it takes up and stop.  So alternative methods of moderation are required.

Bahaha, you so are! And here I am super hero by day and freelance artist by night.... and set dresser when available. 

*snort*

Nice.  Sounds like you are living the dream!

I am Jaex, an unremarkable project attorney.

Or I was until one cold day...

And like the City of Atlanta that arose from ashes of the Yankee torching in 1864, I too arose from the snow as Captain Atlanta, protector of my city (and surrounding municipalities).

1358958477-atlanta_city_seal.jpg 

The city is under attack!  The twins Otto and Lotta Von Bier-Belä, better known as Glutton and The Sloth scheme to make the people of Atlanta fat and lazy.  Only I can stop them, but I must be cautious and these are dangerous foes and I might fall at the hands of their schemes!

Main Quest: Defeat the Von Bier-Belä family

Mission 1: Defeat The Sloth's army of La-Z-Boys (+1 STR, +2 DEX, +1 STA)

The Sloth and his army of La-Z-Boys aim to prevent the people from being active.  To combat this I must do some sort of exercise four days each week.  

Mission 2: Stop Glutton's Gadgets and Gizmos of Gross Growth (+1 CON, +1 CHA)

These months are full of delicious American treats.  Pumpkin pie, pecan pie, snickerdoodles, etc.  But everything should be taken in moderation.  Glutton's Gadgets and Gizmos of Gross Growth control people and force them to uncontrollably eat unhealthy foods with no attention paid to portion control or moderation.  To weaken the power of the Gadgets and Gizmos of Gross Growth I will every other day abstain from eating unhealthy snacks and desserts. 

Mission 3: With great responsibility, one needs great power (+2 STR)

To be Captain Atlanta I must be strong.  Who knows when I'll be called on to push a bus full of students out of lake or lift a bloody log.  Outside of my regular Kung Fu training, I will once a week do some form of strength training.

Life Quest: Keep my secret base, Underground Atlanta, clean (+1 WIS, +1 CHA)

A clean and pure base is necessary to thwart evil-doers plans!  You don't see other superhero bases littered with used napkins, dirty dishes, and unfolded clothes and I aim to do the same. Five nights a week, before I go to sleep, I will pick up around my base.

The real me:

I am a young attorney who is currently working as a project attorney.  It is most certainly not my dream job but fits what I need as I'll be leaving work to study for another bar exam at the beginning of the new year and it doesn't make sense to join a firm or other practice at this time.  My dream job would be as a public interest attorney working with poorer communities.  Pay of course will suck but it'll be the kind of job I'll love doing and I will feel like I'm making a difference.

My kind of exercises:

Twice a week I attend Northern Shaolin Kung Fu practices (I've been doing this since March-ish).  We meet outdoors for two-hour classes which is going to get interesting as the temperatures drop.  Other than that I like to run, do bodyweight circuit drills based on ones we do in Kung Fu, and work the elliptical at my local gym while I watch Netflix on my massive phone. 

First and foremost! I loved reading your intro post!!! I foresee that I will enjoy reading your progress! sub'd! 

I can totally relate to your plight about working a job you don't like and using it to get where you want to be! By day I am an Administrator in Insurance (bleh!) and by night I am a post secondary student studying to become an Royal Canadian Mounted Police Officer. 

The Shaolin Kung Fu is pretty frickin cool!!! Just saying...

Half Orc Ranger Lvl 3

[ STR7.5 DEX2 STA6 CON7.5 WIS6.5 CHA5 ]

Goals:

Achieve target weight: 175lbs

Starting weight: 238

Current Weight: 225

21%
21%

Current Challenge

Fantastic start with the challenge so far! I know you said you're not having as strong a start as others on the forum, but I think you're still doing a great job! After all, "the journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step!" 

What kind of public interest law are you interested in doing, specifically? It's such a broad field that can range from child advocacy to human rights to being a public defender! I'm interested in doing public law myself, and would love to hear more about your interest in public law!

Level 4, Amazon Ranger

Current Challenge:  NicBot-5000 enters Recovery Mode

Previous Challenges: 12, 3,  4, 5, 6

PRE REBOOT CHALLENGES: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Various links and sundry: Battle log, Respawn post